The video game thread.

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I just pounded my way through the remastered Uncharted trilogy. In comparing it with games made for PS4, the content is super light. Dabbling with Far Cry 4 and the world is so expansive. I can see how people have trouble finding time, but I just chip away a mission or so at a time.
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    jervin007 said:

Been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn on PS4. Love this game. Also just picked up Dark Souls III Complete Edition. I have never played these games and have heard how hard they can be. I've been gaming for a long time so I feel as though I need test my skills. Heard you die a lot. Time to find out.

That game is one of the next 2 I'm getting... eventually. My one friend has nothing but good things to say about the new Resident Evil too.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Jason P said:

I too have problems finding time. I've got Dark Souls, Zelda, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Hit man, Metal Gear and a ton of other games. Problem is I forget the effing controls if I go over a month without playing. That is why I'm looking forward to Mario Kart.

Same here. Picking up and remembering the controls is a big reason I don't finish a game. I'll start a new game, then a month passes and its hard as shit to remember.
    a5pj said:

jervin007 said:

Been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn on PS4. Love this game. Also just picked up Dark Souls III Complete Edition. I have never played these games and have heard how hard they can be. I've been gaming for a long time so I feel as though I need test my skills. Heard you die a lot. Time to find out.

That game is one of the next 2 I'm getting... eventually. My one friend has nothing but good things to say about the new Resident Evil too.
    I thought about getting the new Resident Evil too. Heard it's ridiculous in VR and the disc you buy has the VR already on it. Woo!

mca47 said:

Finally got thru Vah Naboris yesterday. And Thunderblight Ganon was the toughest of the 3 I've fought so far, but I still beat him on the first try. He has a shield so you actually have to wait for him to attack and then attack back. No shooting bomb arrows from a distance to wear him down. His warp attacks are easy to block with a shield. Though I was never able to backflip & flurry rush them, I didn't take any damage with the shield up. The Master Sword made the fight a lot easier. 60 attack power!

Yeah, I faced that guy yesterday for the first time. It didn't go well. I really didn't have the equipment, food/potions, or the heart level to keep up with him. I went in to the fight with only one, one-handed weapon. Once that broke I was pretty much done.
    Good news is that I can fast travel directly back to it once I level up a bit.
    Definitely put on your best armor and have a few strong weapons. Claymores are good. In his second wave of attacks, he'll drop a bunch of rods around you and hit them with lightning. When he starts doing that, use magnesis on one of the rods and raise it up to him so that he shocks himself. When he hits the ground, he'll be stunned and you can attack. His third form is identical to the first only he's fully electrified. When he attacks you, he'll knock your damn weapons out of your hand. Unless you can pull off the flurry rush (which I can't), you'll just have to wait it out until he starts Guardian-beaming your ass. When he does that, if you can't shield parry (again, I can't) just stand behind a pillar, wait for him to get near, then attack.

On a different note, I've noticed that since they patched the infinite arrow glitch (which I never used) they've also capped arrow stock from all the damn merchants, too. It used to be when I'd start running low, I'd just warp to all the stables and buy everything Beedle had. Well, since the update, Beedle hasn't restocked and none of the village shops have any, either. Apparently now you cannot buy arrows until your inventory is below 50. What a crock of shit!! Supposedly you can still venture up the road to Zora's Domain and kill all the enemies as they each drop 5x bundles (some of them drop 2 bundles) and then repeat every blood moon. But I'd rather just warp to shops and buy the damn things. I get fixing the glitch, but leave the rest of the game alone! I rely heavily on archery to get around.
    Finally got enough hearts to get the Master Sword. Had that, a decent shield, then went back to face off against that Thunderbolt Ganon dude...or whatever his name is.
    Battle lasted about a minute. Destroyed that guy! I think he only touched me once.
    I think I'm going to try to finish up all of the side quests that I've ignored up to this point.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Yep, the master sword is great against the sub-Ganons! That double attack power & infinite durability make it pretty awesome. And I did the same thing after Thunderblight, went and cleaned up some side quests.

Uhh, so, I *accidentally* beat Calamity Ganon last night. I say accidentally because I did NOT mean to go into the final boss fight. I was at the Woodland Tower and thought to myself "Hmm, wonder if I can paraglide onto castle from here now that I have 3 full stamina wheels?" So just for shits and giggles, I tried it out. I didn't make it onto the castle, but I did get just right across the moat, directly across the back "secret" entrance. So I swam across then up the 3 waterfalls to the top of the castle and BOOM. Right there is the Sanctum where you fight Calamity. Since I was there, I figured I'd walk up and get a screen cap for the time being. Only problem is I took one step too far which triggered the boss fight. I ended up beating him but man, he handed my ass to me in the process. Had I not just beaten the lizard Divine Beast and got the Daruk's Protection special item, I would've easily lost the battle. I was lucky enough to get a perfect shield parry on my very last shield then wipe out the last of his health with the very last swing of the Master Sword before his defense went up again. (Daruk's Protection guarantees a perfect parry against the lasers, so I used it for the first 3 laser blasts to tear Calamity's defense down so I could attack. I managed to get one parry out of a shitty wooden shield I had in my inventory before it broke, then got the final parry on my last shield. If that shield would've broke, I'd have been done for.)
    The second part, Dark Beast Ganon, was a bit more tedious than the few videos I've seen. For whatever reason, the damn horse would not run in ANY direction I wanted it to, and Dark Beast ended up killing it. I had to run around on foot to finish him off, but that actually proved to be easier than riding the horse. I also didn't realize (spoiler alert) you had to select the Bow of Light from your inventory. Figured it was just automatically equipped. So I shot the first 3 targets with my damn Royal Bow.

I didn't get the bonus ending as I'm still missing one of the Memories, but it still felt cool to beat the final boss. Even if I didn't intend to go into the battle. I went back and reloaded my save from before I descended down from the tower, so it looks like I didn't beat the game (no star icon beside my file). I'll come back to him again once I complete all the shrines and side quests and have more equipment inventory. Calamity destroyed every shield I had except for one because I'm terrible at parrying, lol.
    Good to know. I'm going to stay away from that castle then! hahaha!
    So, I can't parry for shit. My timing is horrible. Is that going to be a problem going forward? Sounds like it.
    Yeah, my timing is terrible with it as well. It almost seems like you have to press A closer to when they fire rather than when the beam is close to hitting you. I'm going to have to practice on some stationary guardians out in the wild before going back to the castle.

And to think I just snuck in the back way and didn't even go thru the castle at all. There are guardians all over that place - all four kinds, too! Parrying definitely seems like a good skill to develop if you're going to make an actual run through it. That or a shit load of ancient arrows.

And that seemed like the only way to take down Calamity's defense in his 2nd phase. He'll turn a glowing orange and you simply cannot attack him while he's orange. Bomb arrows did nothing to stun him. And I didn't want to waste any of the 4 ancient arrows I had. It was only when I parried his beam that he was stunned and I could attack. Then I'd just melee the shit out of him with the master sword.
    Mario Kart arrives tomorrow! Woo!
    There goes my weekend! LOL
    If anyone wants to play, hit me up. Not sure how to do buddy lists on the Switch yet, so if you know, let me know.

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Im still stuck on Black Ops 1 / PS3. GOAT.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Played some Mario Kart over the weekend. Fun game! Really brings back some memories!
    Played a few rounds online. Holy crap I suck! hahaha! I considered it an accomplishment if I finished in the top half.
    mca47 said:

Played some Mario Kart over the weekend. Fun game! Really brings back some memories!
    Played a few rounds online. Holy crap I suck! hahaha! I considered it an accomplishment if I finished in the top half.

The little bit that I played Super Mario Run on the iPhone, kids were kicking my ass left and right in the Rally Mode. I can only imagine Mario Kart since more folks have a lot more experience with it!

mca47 said:

The little bit that I played Super Mario Run on the iPhone, kids were kicking my ass left and right in the Rally Mode. I can only imagine Mario Kart since more folks have a lot more experience with it!
    Yeah, I think the game and the tracks being out previously certainly helps those who've played it before. I mean, some races where I run the track well...I don't even get close to the 1st place finisher.
    The only times I've finished in the top 3 were because I consistently got awesome weapons, and even then I would cross the finish line and not even see those ahead of me. Hahaha...damn kids!
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Jason P said:

jervin007 said:

Below is a link to some good starter tips for Dark Souls 3. I would suggest being a sorcerer because you have a staff that shoots magic. This makes the early game a lot easier because you can pick enemies off from a distance. And it will give you time to figure out how to fight with weapons.

There is this monk early in the game that is pretty tough, but with the staff he is a sitting duck and he drops a katana called Uchigatana that I still use at level 70.

kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-dark-souls-3-1770600428
    Thanks! I opted for the warrior before I read this because I guess they are well rounded for beginners. First boss took some time to beat, but I am getting a feel for it. Went back at tried to fight that crystal lizard at the beginning after and beat it on the first try. I like it so far but I know I pretty much just did the tutorial. Haha
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    edited May 2017
    Finished up all 120 shrines in Breath of the Wild. 27 hearts & 3 full stamina wheels.  All 42 shrine quests complete. All 76 side quests complete. All 4 Divine Beasts & all 18 memories. Entered food inventory is Hearty Simmered Fruit for full recovery +4.  All armor sets except Ancient, need to get a few more cores.  Going to work on fully upgrading all the armor, including the Wild set. Then I'll battle Ganon again to officialy complete the main quest. Gonna save Korok hunting for rainy days. I have 219, and 441 are needed to max inventory so I'm right at half. That'll give me something to do periodically to stay tuned up for the dlc in August.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
    Finished up all 120 shrines in Breath of the Wild. 27 hearts & 3 full stamina wheels.  All 42 shrine quests complete. All 76 side quests complete. All 4 Divine Beasts & all 18 memories. Entered food inventory is Hearty Simmered Fruit for full recovery +4.  All armor sets except Ancient, need to get a few more cores.  Going to work on fully upgrading all the armor, including the Wild set. Then I'll battle Ganon again to officialy complete the main quest. Gonna save Korok hunting for rainy days. I have 219, and 441 are needed to max inventory so I'm right at half. That'll give me something to do periodically to stay tuned up for the dlc in August.
    Holy crap man!
    Did you find all the shrines on your own or did you get help?
    I don't know my exact numbers, but I know I have a looooong way to go finding shrines.  I don't have much desire to find all the Korok seeds.  The world is way to damn big and that's just too many rocks to overturn!  hahahaha!
    I also don't care so much for the armor sets.  Most of mine are mis-matched anyways.
    Finished up my third devine beast yesterday.
    mca47 said:
    Holy crap man!
    Did you find all the shrines on your own or did you get help?
    I don't know my exact numbers, but I know I have a looooong way to go finding shrines.  I don't have much desire to find all the Korok seeds.  The world is way to damn big and that's just too many rocks to overturn!  hahahaha!
    I also don't care so much for the armor sets.  Most of mine are mis-matched anyways.
    Finished up my third devine beast yesterday.
    Surprisingly, I found all but 3 of the shrines on my own. Two I had to look up because the radar kept beeping and I simply could not locate them. The 3rd was the 119th shrine (I was saving Eventide Island for last) simply to save time and not wander around aimlessly. I didn't look up its exact location, just which area it was in. When I finished all 120, I was missing three of the shrine quests attached, so I did look those up to scratch them off the checklist.

I wasn't going to do the armor sets either but I bought the Dark set off Kilton bc it looks really cool with the Royal Guard weapons I have displayed in my house. And when you beat all 120 shrines, you get the "Of the Wild" armor set as a reward. And since the Snowquill & Fireproof sets we're pretty much required (a lot easier than using effect food & elixirs all the time imo), I ended up having more sets than not, so I just bought the others and made that a new personal quest. 

Which divine beast do you have left?
    The only divine beast I have left is the one in death mountain.  Did Zora's Domain first, then Gerudo Desert, then finished the Hebra Mountain one yesterday...which took maybe 10-15mins to beat.  Super easy.  I might do some side quests before I head over for the last one.
    The Death Mountain one is super easy. Easiest of the 4 in my opinion.

I definitely recommend taking out some side quests and more shrines, etc before tackling it though. After the 4th one, you'll start getting silver enemies which are a pain in the ass. They have 3x the health bar of black enemies and if your weapon is a 30 or below, they'll break on silver enemies like toys. The plus side is they drop rare gemstones when you kill them.
    So the random enemies get harder after the 4th beast is freed?
    I was watching a video on IGN where they were talking about the DLC for Zelda.  The first DLC has some good stuff in it, but some other things that seem pointless.  If I knew how much content was going to be available, I'd consider getting the "season pass" or whatever the hell they call it.
    Yeah you'll start seeing silver enemies. There won't be a full camp of them, but they'll usually throw 1 or 2 in per enemy camp. They're just a huge pain in the ass because it takes a weapon and a half to beat one of them. Oh and say goodbye to red lynels. I've only seen blue & silver since I got all 4 beasts.
    I'm still gonna hold off on the DLC pack. The first pick comes out Aug 31 so I'm hoping they have news on the 2nd pack by then. 
    Yeah you'll start seeing silver enemies. There won't be a full camp of them, but they'll usually throw 1 or 2 in per enemy camp. They're just a huge pain in the ass because it takes a weapon and a half to beat one of them. Oh and say goodbye to red lynels. I've only seen blue & silver since I got all 4 beasts.
    I'm still gonna hold off on the DLC pack. The first pick comes out Aug 31 so I'm hoping they have news on the 2nd pack by then. 
    Christ, the Lynels get harder too?!?!  I see one now and run the opposite direction as fast as I can!  LOL!
    Ran in to one recently when I was a little down on the weapons and food.  Northeast part of the map by skull lake.  Dude came out of nowhere and he chased me down for what seemed like 5 miles in that game!  Hahahaha!
    Yeah I still run when I see one. I've fought three of them because I had no choice (locked in rooms with them in Hyrule castle). I pretty much Stasis them, hit em with a bomb arrow, then slash away. Usually die once per battle. They're tougher than any boss in the game but I need their parts to upgrade several types of armor, so I gotta face them at some point.
    Also, I bought the Lynel mask from Kilton's shop. It helps get by them without fighting. But unlike the bokoblin, moblin, & lizalfos masks, Lynels will still eventually attack you even if you're wearing the mask.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    The Friday the 13th game is out early and the streams on Twitch are fantasticly entertaining.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Yes, Sega doing it right.

The SEGA Genesis Flashback, a new console from AtGames that features 85 built-in titles, has been announced for release this September.

In addition to the slew of built-in games, including the titles from the Sonic, Phantasy Star, Shining Force and Mortal Kombat series, the console includes a cartridge port that supports "almost all" of the original SEGA Genesis and Mega Drive cartridges—a feature that was lacking from Nintendo's micro console, the NES Classic Edition.

Also packed in are two Genesis-style 2.4ghz wireless controllers and two controller ports for those who wish to use classic wired controllers.

The SEGA Genesis Flashback also features 720p HDMI output and scan line filtering. Additionally, every game will support a feature that let's you save, pause and rewind the action.

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    I've pretty much exhausted everything in Breath of the Wild - just in time for the DLC pack this Friday.  Actually I'm still only at like 63% completion because of those damn Koroks, but everything else I can possibly accomplish or acquire in the game, I've done.  What an adventure it's been!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Super NES announced today with 21 games that you will never get to play because Nintendo is Nintendo.