Options

The Concept of God

Comments

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Annafalk said:
    I don't understand how people can really believe that when we die we just die, and it's the end of it. It's hard for me to grasp.
    I don't necessarily believe that we just die and that's it.  I definitely do not believe in heaven or hell.  The thought of reincarnation has always intrigued me but I find that hard to believe as well.  What happens when we die will be one of life's mysteries that we will never know the answer to.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Annafalk said:
    I don't understand how people can really believe that when we die we just die, and it's the end of it. It's hard for me to grasp.
    I guess the opposite is the same....I can't grasp how there is some being up there/everywhere that somehow created everything, at least the way organized religion-any of them-explains it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Annafalk said:
    Life isn't easy.
    When you think of a lottery do you assume that you will win if you play?
    That's equivalent to believing in Heaven.

Sure, it would be nice, but it's the biggest pipe dream there ever was.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    KC138045 said:
    God is male. God is spirit.  Man is god's image.  God is infinity.  God has no gender.

I'm confused now.  Which bathroom does god use?
    And does he use the fly?  Does he sit or stand when he pees?
    :rofl:
    Whatever he does, I hope he doesn't dribble on Soul's seat.
    Maybe that's how the universe was created.  We are all just the dribble on God's toilet seat.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Annafalk said:
    I think that is a perfectly natural feeling, and is exactly what has lead to humans of vastly different cultures and eras to create their mythologies. A way of attempting to explaining the unexplainable. These mythologies can provide comfort, a sense of purpose, a reason for being, and a hope that there is something bigger and better in the great beyond. Some, like me, really have no use for these stories, but others do find solace and comfort in them.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    KC138045 said:
    Annafalk said:
    I don't necessarily believe that we just die and that's it.  I definitely do not believe in heaven or hell.  The thought of reincarnation has always intrigued me but I find that hard to believe as well.  What happens when we die will be one of life's mysteries that we will never know the answer to.
    Science and logic tell us that we die just like a dog, cat, squirrel, etc.  Does a squirrel's soul ascend to heaven?  or hell?

We are animals, flesh and bone.  There is no "soul" that leaves our body upon death.  That's ridiculous.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I became content with not knowing what happens after death a long time ago.  I don't need to have everything explained to me. I don't know why I'm here, but I'm here and I'm going to do to enjoy it while I am instead of spending my entire life worrying about what comes next.
    If I can find beauty in the earth, plants, animals, oceans, stars, happiness, love, music, baseball, mountains, friends, planets, the color blue, and banh mi sandwiches then I feel I'm fulfilling my purpose.  That purpose is to live and enjoy it.  And if that's what someone calls God - ie the infinite, everything that surrounds me - then I'm a believer in that.  But I don't need to anthropomorphize that and worship it as a being that will judge what happens with me when I die.
  • Options
    I became content with not knowing what happens after death a long time ago.  I don't need to have everything explained to me. I don't know why I'm here, but I'm here and I'm going to do to enjoy it while I am instead of spending my entire life worrying about what comes next.
    If I can find beauty in the earth, plants, animals, oceans, stars, happiness, love, music, baseball, mountains, friends, planets, the color blue, and banh mi sandwiches then I feel I'm fulfilling my purpose.  That purpose is to live and enjoy it.  And if that's what someone calls God - ie the infinite, everything that surrounds me - then I'm a believer in that.  But I don't need to anthropomorphize that and worship it as a being that will judge what happens with me when I die.
    this is what keeps me from enjoying life a lot of the time. maybe it's the depression/anxiety, or maybe becoming a parent, or maybe something else, but I have a really hard time with the "purpose". I just default to "what's the fucking point?" a lot of the time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    this is what keeps me from enjoying life a lot of the time. maybe it's the depression/anxiety, or maybe becoming a parent, or maybe something else, but I have a really hard time with the "purpose". I just default to "what's the fucking point?" a lot of the time. 
    Oh, believe me, I get that way too!  Maybe purpose is the wrong word. That kinda makes it sound like grand design, no?  Which I'm definitely not a believer in that.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Really well said, and I agree 100% (well, maybe not the baseball part, but definitely the banh mi!). Too many people seem to be consumed in their belief of an afterlife, and sacrifice current happiness in hopes of rewards in the hereafter. That leads many to feelings of guilt and inadequacy - not living up to a perfect standard. Life can be much more relevant, happy and fulfilling when given the proper priority.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Oh, believe me, I get that way too!  Maybe purpose is the wrong word. That kinda makes it sound like grand design, no?  Which I'm definitely not a believer in that.
    that's the problem. I don't believe in it either, so that then defaults to "there is no point, we're just here by accident/happenstance". I know I should enjoy life since we only (apparently) get one, but man, sometimes the shit that happens around you just makes it unbearable. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,673
    I'm so glad to be out from under the Christian guilt and fear thing I went through in the 70's.  My best friends at the time were devout Christians.  I tried but it just never made any sense. Moving past that for me was like moving though one of Erikson's stages of human development.   It's liberating to be free of superstition and accept that there is still some undefinable mystery in the universe that doesn't require a myth or a pat answer. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited June 2017
    I found myself in a Jewel mood when I got home tonight.  After  a few minutes I thought, respectfully listen to this angelic voice for 5 minutes and tell me again there is no God, seriously.  No this isn't the song about who will save your soul. ;)
    But it really does show off her angelic voice.
    https://youtu.be/BLqI-cvFW6s
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    RYME said:
    I found myself in a Jewel mood when I got home tonight.  After  a few minutes I thought, respectfully listen to this angelic voice for 5 minutes and tell me again there is no God, seriously.  No this isn't the song about who will save your soul. ;)
    Jewel is a beautiful singer and artist.
    Her vocal chords are a product of evolution and her control is a product of neurology and practice.

If you want God to get the credit for Jewel's voice, he's going to have to take credit for mine and Yoko Ono's as well bud.
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited June 2017
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    Jewel is a beautiful singer and artist.
    Her vocal chords are a product of evolution and her control is a product of neurology and practice.

If you want God to get the credit for Jewel's voice, he's going to have to take credit for mine and Yoko Ono's as well bud.
    That's alright buddy lol.  I thought I'd approach this from a different and refreshing angle.  I'd call it a good try.
    Here is a masculine Angelic voice just asking questions.

https://youtu.be/KD4a24dVJ38
    Alright this ain't the lounge car, I'll stop posting songs here.  I thought it was worth a shot though.

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    An angelic voice of another kind:

I was born like this, I had no choice/
    I was born with the gift of a golden voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpLBtWG3JR4

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Thank you everyone for your answers regarding thoughts about life after death or not. It's very interesting to read how everyone is thinking.
    Did God make rainbows or is it just there because it is? There is a lot of beautiful things in nature, in animals and also in people.

• Options
    Annafalk said:
    Thank you everyone for your answers regarding thoughts about life after death or not. It's very interesting to read how everyone is thinking.
    Did God make rainbows or is it just there because it is? There is a lot of beautiful things in nature, in animals and also in people.

This is like a backhanded insult.  Of course rainbows are a beautiful but I am pretty sure you along w/ millions of others on this planet know the science of how one is presented.  god did not do this why would you even question as to if god made rainbows? it just ruin the beauty.  I would rather believe in a pot of gold at either end.  As to the concept of life after death I used to in my younger days be scared as hell of dying because I have always felt that once we die that is it, no more just eternal time carrying on w/ out me.  Time will never end and there will always be something forever after I die just not me included.  It sucks but I got over it  a long time ago and count myself lucky to even be given a life to experience. Even though it is as life w/ a President Trump in it.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Annafalk said:

This is like a backhanded insult.  Of course rainbows are a beautiful but I am pretty sure you along w/ millions of others on this planet know the science of how one is presented.  god did not do this why would you even question as to if god made rainbows? it just ruin the beauty.  I would rather believe in a pot of gold at either end.  As to the concept of life after death I used to in my younger days be scared as hell of dying because I have always felt that once we die that is it, no more just eternal time carrying on w/ out me.  Time will never end and there will always be something forever after I die just not me included.  It sucks but I got over it  a long time ago and count myself lucky to even be given a life to experience. Even though it is as life w/ a President Trump in it.
    A backhanded insult now that's funny. The reason I brought up rainbows is because as I see it, rainbows has no reason to exist, it doesn't do anything it's just there being beautiful, why ? I know the mechanism behind the light bending in the prism but still. 
    Another thing that exists without any real reason for it is unselfish kindness.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

A backhanded insult now that's funny. The reason I brought up rainbows is because as I see it, rainbows has no reason to exist, it doesn't do anything it's just there being beautiful, why ? I know the mechanism behind the light bending in the prism but still.
    It's a phenomenon, a side effect of physical properties that govern the universe.
    Light is a specific form of energy with specific properties that exist for definite reasons.  
    The sky is not blue either, but blue light scatter makes it appear that way.  
    There must be millions of phenomena like that occuring throughout the universe (and here on Earth) that we can't even perceive, or are located beyond the reach of intelligent life, but are just as beautiful and fleeting.  Are those intelligent design too?

It's much easier for me to believe that blue sky and rainbows are just happy circumstances​ than to believe that a God intelligently designed the very laws of the universe to tickle the fancy of some critters that exist for a short time in a tiny little piece of His cosmos.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

It's a phenomenon, a side effect of physical properties that govern the universe.
    Light is a specific form of energy with specific properties that exist for definite reasons.  
    There must be millions of phenomena like that occuring throughout the universe (and here on Earth) that we can't even perceive, or are located beyond the reach of intelligent life, but are just as beautiful and fleeting.  Are those intelligent design too?

It's much easier for me to believe that blue sky and rainbows are just happy circumstances​ than to believe that a God intelligently designed the very laws of the universe to tickle the fancy of some critters that exist for a short time in a tiny little piece of His cosmos.

What you are saying seems very good and intelligent but I still think it's a very cool phenomenon.
    Another thing, why are we not just like animals in the way we think? Why do we have a conscious? Why do we reflect upon things. We can choose how we want to act, animals follow their instinct. Is there a higher reason for this?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Many animals act far beyond instinct. Many are capable of complex tool use and clearly make distinctions between different choices available. 

Now, consciousness; that's too big a topic for my to tap out an answer on my phone. Maybe later ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

Sorry Anna, I beg to differ: 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

I must apologize since it feels like I've taken too much space in this thread. Yeah ticks you have them too? Congratulations :) why did God create this horrible little bug? I haven't got a clue, they don't fill any purpose as I see it, just a nasty disease spreader.
  • Options
    Many animals act far beyond instinct. Many are capable of complex tool use and clearly make distinctions between different choices available. 

Now, consciousness; that's too big a topic for my to tap out an answer on my phone. Maybe later ;)
    I see it as only humans can be responsible for their actions. I can't help thinking there must be some kind of purpose with our life's. Come back later and talk about consciousness ;)
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

I must apologize since it feels like I've taken too much space in this thread. Yeah ticks you have them too? Congratulations :) why did God create this horrible little bug? I haven't got a clue, they don't fill any purpose as I see it, just a nasty disease spreader.
    No need to apologize!   Your thoughts are sincere, your beliefs are yours.  Maybe I'm the one overstepping my bounds.  Like I've said before, I know people of faith whom I respect very highly.  But I also know that too often people subscribe to a religion or faith out of guilt or fear.  I tried being a Christian forty plus years ago because I was young and gullible and under peer pressure.  After a few years I stopped the pretense.  I'm not saying belief in God or what ever is wrong, but I do encourage people to be skeptical, think critically and decide for themselves.  And my biggest objection is having people proselytize to the point of being self righteous, pushy or judgemental, and I don't see you as doing that.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

No need to apologize!   Your thoughts are sincere, your beliefs are yours.  Maybe I'm the one overstepping my bounds.  Like I've said before, I know people of faith whom I respect very highly.  But I also know that too often people subscribe to a religion or faith out of guilt or fear.  I tried being a Christian forty plus years ago because I was young and gullible and under peer pressure.  After a few years I stopped the pretense.  I'm not saying belief in God or what ever is wrong, but I do encourage people to be skeptical, think critically and decide for themselves.  And my biggest objection is having people proselytize to the point of being self righteous, pushy or judgemental, and I don't see you as doing that.
    Thank you and I agree :)
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

Those Nymph deer ticks are BRUTAL. Every year I get bit multiple times by at least 2 of those teeny little jerks. I had 6 bites that I had to monitor closely about a week and a half ago. A few years ago I had to go to Urgent Care and get medicine for multiple bites. 

I watched a doomsday BBC special that included a shout out to Groundhog Day on Netflix the other day that was pretty interesting. It had scientific explanations for what could potentially cause "The End of the World". These happen all the time: tsunamis, earthquakes, etc. I've always connected the concept of GOD to nature. The "Holy Trinity" to me is the Sun, Moon and Earth. We're bringing about our own devastation with oil and pollution. Oil is like the Earth's blood. Imagine drilling and taking blood from a human. Eventually, everything would eventually go awry and we'd shut down. We're creating our own problems as far as the environment goes. 

Another thing I've always believed as far as GOD is concerned, is by looking at it as travelling to a destination. There are several routes to take to any specific place. You pick the road that takes you there. Whatever you call it, it's all relative. Connecting to others' is the mystery. I just can't get down with fear mongering or hating someone because they're different than I am that comes along with some religions, so I cut ties with them and found my own way to believe. I do believe in some form of divine intervention, because of far too many crazy coincidences throughout life with dates, places, etc. That's the only way I can rationalize some of them. I just can't put a name or a face on it, other than Nature. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

What you are saying seems very good and intelligent but I still think it's a very cool phenomenon.
    Another thing, why are we not just like animals in the way we think? Why do we have a conscious? Why do we reflect upon things. We can choose how we want to act, animals follow their instinct. Is there a higher reason for this?
    Tons of animals think and choose and reason.   You really think it is all instinct?  c'mon..
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Smellyman said:
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

Tons of animals think and choose and reason.   You really think it is all instinct?  c'mon..
    Yes, of course they think, choose and have feelings. Don't get me wrong, I love animals. I'm just saying that they are not responsible for their actions as humans are. As I see it we humans have the responsibility towards nature, animals, each other and ourselves.