RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    Brolin's eulogy captured everything. Thanks. 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    Probably the best eulogy I have ever heard or read. That bird story will stick with me for the rest of my life...just beautiful the way he weaves it in there. 

I have always thought the way people treat animals says everything about them...If possible I love him even more.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    That eulogy is incredibly touching.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    Yeah, absolutely beautiful and moving. Hopefully we get to read or hear the rest of them. It really gives great insight to the musician we all felt like we knew personally.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RS65573 said:
    Probably the best eulogy I have ever heard or read. That bird story will stick with me for the rest of my life...just beautiful the way he weaves it in there. 

I have always thought the way people treat animals says everything about them...If possible I love him even more.
    absolutely agreed. I don't think I'll ever forget that bird story either. it sounds like some sort of fable. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    edited June 2017
    Its not sinking in at all

way worse than Kurt or Layne. Those weren't as shocking. I said a few weeks ago on here that Chris was the wise older brother of the scene.   
    Same here.  Not that the deaths of Kurt or Layne (or Wieland) were not sad.  But this is the one that should not have happened.  Scott Weiland outlived our expectations.  I mean, yeah, I'd have loved if he woulda cleaned up and gotten it together, but we kinda saw it coming.  Layne was down a rough road for a long time and Kurt as well.  Plus those deaths are almost part of the romance of rock & roll, if you will; we kind of expect that that's going to happen to some people (kinda like we accept a certain number of deaths on the highway in exchange for the freedom of driving).  But Chris had become a (seemingly) stable elder.

He was different from those guys.  By all appearances (which certainly can deceive), he'd gotten through the tough times and the struggles that those other guys never did. Even though Weiland made it almost as long, you never had a sense that he was doing great.  Chris seemed to be.  He seemed to have moved onto full-fledged adulthood.  Word was he was doing well with sobriety.  Again, you don't want to say the other deaths "should have" happened, but at this same time, this is the one that should not have.  

Of course, I'm also influenced by the fact that I am a bigger fan of Cornell's than all the other three combined.  That's a big part of why this has been so much harder on me (easily the worst celebrity death I've ever learned about).  But part of it is that he made it through, at least that's what I thought, in ways the others had not.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:

way worse than Kurt or Layne. Those weren't as shocking. I said a few weeks ago on here that Chris was the wise older brother of the scene.   
    Same here.  Not that Kurt or Layne (or Wieland) were not sad.  But this is the one that should not have happened.  Scott Weiland outlived our expectations.  I mean, yeah, I'd have loved if he woulda cleaned up and gotten it together, but we kinda saw it coming.  Layne was down a rough road for a long time and Kurt as well.  Plus those deaths are almost part of the romance of rock & roll, if you will; we kind of expect that that's going to happen to some people (kinda like we accept a certain number of deaths on the highway in exchange for the freedom of driving).

But Chris was different.  By all appearances (which certainly can deceive), he'd gotten through the tough times and the struggles that those other guys never did. Even though Weiland made it almost as long, you never had a sense that he was doing great.  Chris seemed to be.  He seemed to have moved onto full-fledged adulthood.  Word was he was doing well with sobriety.  Again, you don't want to say the other deaths "should have" happened, but at this same time, this is the one that should not have.  

Of course, I'm also influenced by the fact that I am a bigger fan of Cornell's than all the other three combined.  That's a big part of why this has been so much harder on me (easily the worst celebrity death I've ever learned about).  But part of it is that he made it through, at least that's what I thought, in ways the others had not.
    I will never forget his smile and wave to me before the show on the Songbook tour. It was so genuine. Usually when you try to get the attention of a musician/performer they don't acknowledge you. he did. and again, his smile was so genuine. i was second row that show. it was incredible. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    He had a quote once "i can always quickly tell the difference between a groupie or an autograph hound vs someone who you know has listened to your record 100 times".

never met him but always wanted to.  Never heard of a bad experience. 
    He had a quote once "i can always quickly tell the difference between a groupie or an autograph hound vs someone who you know has listened to your record 100 times".

never met him but always wanted to.  Never heard of a bad experience. 
    had the chance in 1995 on the Superunknown tour. My boss had a side business catering, and he happened to be catering the Soundgarden show, and he got me and my buddy backstage passes for the show. I was too intimidated to go up to Chris. He was lurching around and he looked angry. Didn't see Kim that much, if at all. After the show we went backstage again and Matt was watching Ben in the parking lot run around like the drunk buffoon he was "dodging" all the tour buses as all the tour guys were yelling at him to get out of the way. the 3 of us kept laughing at his antics. we talked to Matt for what seemed like an eternity. just like talking to a buddy. super approachable and awesome. wish I had a camera at the time. 

wish I had gone up to Chris, although it may not have turned out that well given is apparent mood. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    OnWis97 said:

Same here.  Not that Kurt or Layne (or Wieland) were not sad.  But this is the one that should not have happened.  Scott Weiland outlived our expectations.  I mean, yeah, I'd have loved if he woulda cleaned up and gotten it together, but we kinda saw it coming.  Layne was down a rough road for a long time and Kurt as well.  Plus those deaths are almost part of the romance of rock & roll, if you will; we kind of expect that that's going to happen to some people (kinda like we accept a certain number of deaths on the highway in exchange for the freedom of driving).

But Chris was different.  By all appearances (which certainly can deceive), he'd gotten through the tough times and the struggles that those other guys never did. Even though Weiland made it almost as long, you never had a sense that he was doing great.  Chris seemed to be.  He seemed to have moved onto full-fledged adulthood.  Word was he was doing well with sobriety.  Again, you don't want to say the other deaths "should have" happened, but at this same time, this is the one that should not have.  

I will never forget his smile and wave to me before the show on the Songbook tour. It was so genuine. Usually when you try to get the attention of a musician/performer they don't acknowledge you. he did. and again, his smile was so genuine. i was second row that show. it was incredible. 
    I went to four solo shows.  One (for Scream) at a general admission standing-only place.  He had a full band it was a really good show.  But there was something so nice and intimate about the solo shows.  These shows were in Minnesota and he'd tell stories about things like how he came up with "feeling Minnesota" or his first time visiting in the winter with Soundgarden in like 1991 and how unprepared he was for the cold (wearing shorts, I believe).  And stuff like the Josephine story that Brolin refers to.  You could see him connecting with his audience and being shy about it all at the same time.  And then he'd hit his own songs, Soundgarden, Audioslave...and yet my best memory of the Soundbox show was the amazing version of the Beatles' "A Day in the Life" and the way used his guitar to create the crescendo.  

Kudos to you on your second row seats.  I don't have any idea why, but for the three reserved-seat shows I went to, I had a knack for finding out late and ending up in mediocre seats.  But he connected to the audience so well that it made feel that much closer.  He never looked directly at me (I wasn't close enough) but it seemed like everything he said broke up into 5,000 little pieces and I was hit directly by one of them.

I'll still enjoy plenty of good concerts, but I don't know that I'll ever feel that connected again.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I went to four solo shows.  One (for Scream) at a general admission standing-only place.  He had a full band it was a really good show.  But there was something so nice and intimate about the solo shows.  These shows were in Minnesota and he'd tell stories about things like how he came up with "feeling Minnesota" or his first time visiting in the winter with Soundgarden in like 1991 and how unprepared he was for the cold (wearing shorts, I believe).  And stuff like the Josephine story that Brolin refers to.  You could see him connecting with his audience and being shy about it all at the same time.  And then he'd hit his own songs, Soundgarden, Audioslave...and yet my best memory of the Soundbox show was the amazing version of the Beatles' "A Day in the Life" and the way used his guitar to create the crescendo.  

Kudos to you on your second row seats.  I don't have any idea why, but for the three reserved-seat shows I went to, I had a knack for finding out late and ending up in mediocre seats.  But he connected to the audience so well that it made feel that much closer.  He never looked directly at me (I wasn't close enough) but it seemed like everything he said broke up into 5,000 little pieces and I was hit directly by one of them.

I'll still enjoy plenty of good concerts, but I don't know that I'll ever feel that connected again.
    it was such a random connection. i was finishing my drink in the foyer, as they don't allow beverages in the theatre. I heard applause, as the lights had gone down for chris to start the show. i was walking to my seat, and he was standing directly in front of me as I walked down the aisle. I thought he was looking at me, so I smiled and waved. well, he smiled and waved right back. I feel like such a fanboy for remembering and holding onto such an experience, but to me it was something. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

Personally (selfishly), this has been a hard thing for me : The TOTD twitter feed hasn't posted anything since before he died (for obvious reasons). They changed the profile & banner pictures to honor Chris, but there haven't been any tweets since.

For me that's been one of the hardest things to accept. I was hanging on every post from them hoping for fall dates. The way they brought that band back from the dead last year was so special and powerful. It was amazing to see McCready & Gossard play together outside the confines of Pearl Jam. It was so beautiful to see Reach Down & Say Hello to Heaven in addition to all the other powerful songs they wrote not to mention the incredible selection of cover songs. That was easily one of the greatest shows I've ever been to, and while I'm so incredibly happy I made the road trip to Philly, I'm still overcome w/ what we lost there; after that reunion, it really felt like there were so many possibilities with where they could go, and it's all out the window, just like that. (I know this is selfish, this is nothing compared to what his family, friends or bandmates lost, but it's still something we all lost, and worth mourning imo)

Side Note: The bird story in the eulogy makes me feel like less of a jackass for pulling over this morning & getting out of my car to stop traffic to help a turtle cross the street. I'm not tooting my own horn here, it's the first time I've done anything like that, and I felt like a complete ass when other cars were beeping at me, it just seemed like the right thing to do; and Brolin's eulogy for whatever reason made me feel a little better.

Personally (selfishly), this has been a hard thing for me : The TOTD twitter feed hasn't posted anything since before he died (for obvious reasons). They changed the profile & banner pictures to honor Chris, but there haven't been any tweets since.

For me that's been one of the hardest things to accept. I was hanging on every post from them hoping for fall dates. The way they brought that band back from the dead last year was so special and powerful. It was amazing to see McCready & Gossard play together outside the confines of Pearl Jam. It was so beautiful to see Reach Down & Say Hello to Heaven in addition to all the other powerful songs they wrote not to mention the incredible selection of cover songs. That was easily one of the greatest shows I've ever been to, and while I'm so incredibly happy I made the road trip to Philly, I'm still overcome w/ what we lost there; after that reunion, it really felt like there were so many possibilities with where they could go, and it's all out the window, just like that. (I know this is selfish, this is nothing compared to what his family, friends or bandmates lost, but it's still something we all lost, and worth mourning imo)

Side Note: The bird story in the eulogy makes me feel like less of a jackass for pulling over this morning & getting out of my car to stop traffic to help a turtle cross the street. I'm not tooting my own horn here, it's the first time I've done anything like that, and I felt like a complete ass when other cars were beeping at me, it just seemed like the right thing to do; and Brolin's eulogy for whatever reason made me feel a little better.

the bird story also connected with me. I am a big guy, but I'm also incredibly sensitive (which I often hate). I used to get very embarrassed about it, but I learned to embrace it. I get teased by a lot of my "macho" guy friends (when they find out, for instance, that I cry at PJ shows, or when I'm watching a sad movie, or how much I love babies and animals, etc), but I've learned that this is who I am, and embrace it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

the bird story also connected with me. I am a big guy, but I'm also incredibly sensitive (which I often hate). I used to get very embarrassed about it, but I learned to embrace it. I get teased by a lot of my "macho" guy friends (when they find out, for instance, that I cry at PJ shows, or when I'm watching a sad movie, or how much I love babies and animals, etc), but I've learned that this is who I am, and embrace it. 
    I wept openly during Long Road at Fenway I last year (I had just said goodbye to family in Ireland the week prior, and was really missing them at the time)

I was slightly embarrassed, but only slightly. The beauty of the song & the moment were too precious & perfect for me to be very self conscious- I'm glad I embraced the moment, it felt good. 
    a buddy of mine who is a total alpha found out I cried at Fargo 2003. he laughed and laughed and laughed. at first I was annoyed. then I came to the realization that I should be grateful to be able to feel that way. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• inhiding 1976inhiding 1976 NWI Posts: 575
    I can only express my deepest condolences to the Pearl Jam Family and the families of those affected. 

7-11-95, 6-14-98, 6-26-98, 6-27-98, 6-29-98, 8-17-98, 08-18-00, 8-20-00, 09-05-00, 10-7-00, 10-8-00, 10-9-00, 10-11-00, 4-21-03, 4-22-03, 4-23-03, 4-25-03, 04-26-03, 6-18-03, 6-21-03, 6-22-03, 6-25-03, 06-26-03, 10-3-04, 9-11-05, 9-12-05, 9-13-05, 5-9-06, 5-10-06, 5-16-06, 5-17-06, 5-19-06, 5-20-06, 6-23-06, 6-24-06, 6-29-06, 8-5-07, E.V. Milwaukee and Chicago night 1, 8-23-09,08-24-09, 5-7-10, 5-9-10, E.V. 6-28-011, 9-3-11, 9-4-11, 7-19-13, 10-11-13, 10-3-14, 10-17-14, 10-20-14, E.V. 04-26-16, 08-20-16, 08-22-16, 8-20-18, 8-22-18, 9-16-22, 9-18-22, 9-5-23, 9-7-23, 9-10-23
  • kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259

I love that you helped the turtle. It is the right thing to do. Who cares if people beep at you. Turtles need love too. 
    kaseylily said:

I love that you helped the turtle. It is the right thing to do. Who cares if people beep at you. Turtles need love too. 
    How we treat the helpless, shows our true nature. POY (proud of you) ;)
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    a buddy of mine who is a total alpha found out I cried at Fargo 2003. he laughed and laughed and laughed. at first I was annoyed. then I came to the realization that I should be grateful to be able to feel that way. 
    I'm glad you are aware and embraced that aspect of yourself.  It takes courage to be true to who you are.

and yay to Merkin Baller, a hero to turtles (and some humans) everywhere!  
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    I don't know how Josh Brolin was able to say that speech. I was in tears in the middle just by reading.
    Well written and touching.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    still so hard to believe that he's gone.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    It still hasn't sunk in that he's gone. 
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    joseph33 said:
    It still hasn't sunk in that he's gone. 
    Same for me. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
    My wife said last night "do we have to watch and read all this every Friday" because that's when I watch all the stuff i miss all week. Which made me think man I guess that does suck. 

Then I realized. I've been watching and playing along to chris every Friday my whole life and our whole 15 year marriage. Now it's just different, and sad. I hope the guys take the rest of the year off and write thru it...show me how to live. 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Had to write a couplet for my creative writing unit at university...

Black Days

Chris Cornell that man could really sing 

His voice to many a joy it sure did bring 

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    I still don't believe that he is gone either.  :anguished:
    jesus. just re-read his facebook post about the dream he had about Layne, posted on alternative nation. crying. 

https://www.alternativenation.net/chris-cornells-dream-layne-staley-eerie-angry/

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..