Professional Songwriting?

Anyone ever given a go in the world of professional songwriting? I've recently been given a diagnosis that will make being even a part time recording artist very difficult. Playing shows is most definitely out of the question. 
So I've got some solid tunes between my first album and the new album that is totally written but not going to happen. I've also started writing for the sense of a commercial sound the last couple of weeks. Taking me and my life and emotions (that are hard to share) out of the equation when writing is actually quite liberating. 
I have done some reading online and I don't know where to start. So any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I'm unable to work because of my disorder, so finding a profession to even attempt at helping with the bills on my own would be a big uplift to my spirits. 

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    My brother in law is currently looking into doing what you're talking about. His first step was to get his licensing agreement with ASCAP in order. I don't know the details as to what he had to do but he said that it's critical for songwriters. The next time I talk to him I'll see if I can find out more for you. 

Also, good luck with all you are dealing with. Life can try to stick it to you sometimes but staying positive and focusing on the important things can help. 

I hope it's all good news for you from this point forward. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Thanks man! I can't remember if I did ASCAP when I released my last album or not. I'm leaning towards no. I will look into that this evening. 

Thanks for the advice and support. It's a pretty daunting future ahead of me, I'm afraid. But the mind is a crazy thing and even just trying to be positive could go a long way. 
    I guess there is ASCAP and BMI. Apparently they do the same thing but are competitors? I don't fully understand the details but they both provide licensing and distribution rights to the songwriter as near as I can tell. 
    How is the songwriting process coming along? 
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Coming along alright. Been a tad under the weather. But I've got a ton of ideas that align with a more modern pop sound with the intention for others to perform...definitely not for anything I'd release. 
    Keep it up and stay positive man!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    That's a great idea, LVM!

Its something I thought about once, but decided to pass. I agree with ASCAP/BMI; get that done first. I'd also suggest getting some representation of some sort from someone in the industry. Not a major player exactly, but it would help to have someone shopping your songs around. Best of luck to you and way to keep your head up!

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com