The Concept of God

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    There has been so much disinformation out there, and so many theories, religions, denominations, variations lousy preachers, it's no wonder that there is so much confusion among many well intentioned people.
    Baptism for example has been brought up here, and questioned rightfully so.
    Baptism is basically a public showing of one's faith. It's a fine & good thing to do if you choose to, but it's not a necessary requirement for salvation. Here is your proof.
    During the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, if you look at it, there were three crosses there.  Jesus in the center and two malfactors one on each side (criminals).  Right towards the end of this whole crusifiction process, when time was running out for all of them from hanging on the crosses.  One of the malfactors while hanging on his own cross, turned towards Jesus realized what was actually going on, and verbally repented to Jesus right then and there, asked for forgiveness and accepted Christ right there.  Jesus said "From this Day Forward You Will Be in Paradise With Me. Right on the spot.   You have to remember that Jesus is none other than God Himself in the flesh.  So this is a really big deal!
    Jesus did (NOT) not say "Hey Stop Everything, Hold On,,, This Man Has To Be Baptized Before he Can Be Saved.". There is your proof that you do not need to be baptized in order to be accepted by our Lord Jesus.
    John 3:16.  For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that who so ever believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
    Let's break this down a little shall we.
    It says "WHO SO EVER".  It does not say only the baptized, it does not say
    Only Fat White Men,. It doesn't say only Plummers.  It does not say only people who live in Ant Artica or only people north of the equator.
     It says WHO SO EVER believe it in Him.  That means you accept Him and repent, He will take You.  Jesus says that once He forgives you for something He does not even want you to bring it up again He forgives you and wants you to move on.
    If you stick to God's word you really can't go wrong, you really can't.  But if you listen to traditions of men and all these churches have their own rules like divorcees have to sit in the back of the church.  And
    Oh yes yes  my favorite,, they sing and sing and sing praise the lord, and but they can't wait to pass the
    $-hat-$ around for donation$!!  By the way Jesus said if you're gonna teach My Word, don't bring a begging bag.  If they beg for money, I didn't send them."
    You have a lot of one verse Charlie's those would be the ones who recite one Bible verse and then blow hot air for the next 45 minutes,, those you want to stay away from too. The only teachers of God's Word you should pay attention to if at all, are the ones who teach the Bible chapter by chapter and verse by verse.  And keep MAN out of it as much as possible.
    see, this is what I like to see. someone who is a believer but can still see the hypocrisy in the church for doing all the things that jesus/god stated not to do. it bothers me to no end how the church has bastardized the original message for (seemingly) their own financial/political gain. 

I wonder.......I accepted jesus into my heart when i was but a wee lad when my parents sent us to bible camp. But now I don't believe. does that cross me off the list of getting past the Gates when I die if it all turns out to be real, or does the original spiritual transaction still hold?
    Jesus said I will never leave you nor forsake you.  You might leave Him.  But He won't leave you.
    Here is the thing, He Loves You.  He is not a ball of energy somewhere waiting to zap you. He understands the confusions of the world and how peoples beliefs can come and go. Jesus Himself is (long-suffering) that is to say he has lots of patience.  And yes sir he has time for you.
    That is not an answer to the question, it is sidestepping the question.
    doesn't matter. my question was worded somewhat tongue-in-cheek as it was more rhetorical than anything. 
    This is a tough forum to be a believer in.   You can't say my comments don't go unchallenged.  But that's fine.  I just try to spread around seeds of truth hoping that some of it takes.  I know that most of it probably won't.
     I'm not the judge.  My answer to your question is, I think that you Hugh will do just fine.
    So which ones of us are going to hell? Am I going to hell for being an Atheist? :pensive: I have been told more than once before I was an Atheist that I'm going to hell just by not going to church, so I guess I'm definitely doomed now. =)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Why do people believe in hell but not in God? 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Annafalk said:
    I don't believe in hell or God.

But I do believe in the easter bunny.  And the tooth fairy.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited June 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    There has been so much disinformation out there, and so many theories, religions, denominations, variations lousy preachers, it's no wonder that there is so much confusion among many well intentioned people.
    Baptism is basically a public showing of one's faith. It's a fine & good thing to do if you choose to, but it's not a necessary requirement for salvation. Here is your proof.
    During the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, if you look at it, there were three crosses there.  Jesus in the center and two malfactors one on each side (criminals).  Right towards the end of this whole crusifiction process, when time was running out for all of them from hanging on the crosses.  One of the malfactors while hanging on his own cross, turned towards Jesus realized what was actually going on, and verbally repented to Jesus right then and there, asked for forgiveness and accepted Christ right there.  Jesus said "From this Day Forward You Will Be in Paradise With Me. Right on the spot.   You have to remember that Jesus is none other than God Himself in the flesh.  So this is a really big deal!
    Jesus did (NOT) not say "Hey Stop Everything, Hold On,,, This Man Has To Be Baptized Before he Can Be Saved.". There is your proof that you do not need to be baptized in order to be accepted by our Lord Jesus.
    John 3:16.  For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that who so ever believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
    Only Fat White Men,. It doesn't say only Plummers.  It does not say only people who live in Ant Artica or only people north of the equator.
     It says WHO SO EVER believe it in Him.  That means you accept Him and repent, He will take You.  Jesus says that once He forgives you for something He does not even want you to bring it up again He forgives you and wants you to move on.
    If you stick to God's word you really can't go wrong, you really can't.  But if you listen to traditions of men and all these churches have their own rules like divorcees have to sit in the back of the church.  And
    Oh yes yes  my favorite,, they sing and sing and sing praise the lord, and but they can't wait to pass the
    $-hat-$ around for donation$!!  By the way Jesus said if you're gonna teach My Word, don't bring a begging bag.  If they beg for money, I didn't send them."
    You have a lot of one verse Charlie's those would be the ones who recite one Bible verse and then blow hot air for the next 45 minutes,, those you want to stay away from too. The only teachers of God's Word you should pay attention to if at all, are the ones who teach the Bible chapter by chapter and verse by verse.  And keep MAN out of it as much as possible.
    see, this is what I like to see. someone who is a believer but can still see the hypocrisy in the church for doing all the things that jesus/god stated not to do. it bothers me to no end how the church has bastardized the original message for (seemingly) their own financial/political gain. 

I wonder.......I accepted jesus into my heart when i was but a wee lad when my parents sent us to bible camp. But now I don't believe. does that cross me off the list of getting past the Gates when I die if it all turns out to be real, or does the original spiritual transaction still hold?
    Jesus said I will never leave you nor forsake you.  You might leave Him.  But He won't leave you.
    Here is the thing, He Loves You.  He is not a ball of energy somewhere waiting to zap you. He understands the confusions of the world and how peoples beliefs can come and go. Jesus Himself is (long-suffering) that is to say he has lots of patience.  And yes sir he has time for you.
    doesn't matter. my question was worded somewhat tongue-in-cheek as it was more rhetorical than anything. 
    This is a tough forum to be a believer in.   You can't say my comments don't go unchallenged.  But that's fine.  I just try to spread around seeds of truth hoping that some of it takes.  I know that most of it probably won't.
     I'm not the judge.  My answer to your question is, I think that you Hugh will do just fine.
    So which ones of us are going to hell? Am I going to hell for being an Atheist? :pensive: I have been told more than once before I was an Atheist that I'm going to hell just by not going to church, so I guess I'm definitely doomed now. =)
    I don't know are you asking me? God would be very mad at me for judging you. Like I said I'm not here to condemn anyone I am not the judge. We all sail our own ship. Yourself is your ship you sail it wherever you want to that's fine I'll sail mine wherever I want to. I can certainly be buddies with atheists and agnostics that's fine Id love to have a beer with you all someday and watch a concert.  No I would not be sitting there judging you all. I'm a pretty nice guy.
    No way am I going to stand here and tell you where you're going or what you're going to do that would be ridiculous. Anyone who tells you where are you are going to end up is full of s***.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Annafalk said:

Good. Because hell hath no fury like a bunny scorned. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    I don't know anybody who believes in hell but not God. That wouldn't make any sense (I was being facetious btw).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

I don't know are you asking me? Like I said I'm not here to condemn anyone I am not the judge. We all sail our own ship. Yourself is your ship you sail it wherever you want to that's fine I'll sail mine wherever I want to. I can certainly be buddies with atheists and agnostics that's fine Id love to have a beer with you all someday and watch a concert.  No I would not be sitting there judging you all. I'm a pretty nice guy.
    No way am I going to stand here and tell you where you're going or what you're going to do that would be ridiculous. Anyone who tells you where are you are going to end up is full of s***.
    I was just kidding - I didn't realize anyone would think that's a serious question, sorry.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

no worries, man. it's all good. I meant no disrespect. It was more a comment on how everyone has their own interpretations of the rules, the highest of those in the church included. rules that no one can possibly know. I get faith. and respect it. But there is no "truth" that anyone on earth knows, just "belief". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

You aren't going to germinate many of those seeds if you pass them off as truth when they are actually belief and faith.
    There's a huge difference and the failure of your side to recognise that only widens the divide.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

Well, at least they are kind. 
  • Options
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

I don't know are you asking me? God would be very mad at me for judging you. Like I said I'm not here to condemn anyone I am not the judge. We all sail our own ship. Yourself is your ship you sail it wherever you want to that's fine I'll sail mine wherever I want to. I can certainly be buddies with atheists and agnostics that's fine Id love to have a beer with you all someday and watch a concert.  No I would not be sitting there judging you all. I'm a pretty nice guy.
    so you could be wrong regarding your beliefs....correct?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

yes...no danger in getting your flesh ripped from your bones for eternity if you fail to believe in those guys

• Options
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

yes...no danger in getting your flesh ripped from your bones for eternity if you fail to believe in those guys
    But I really don't think God would do that and you said you didn't believe in hell.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Annafalk said:

"Well, I believe in the soul...the cock...the pussy... the small of a woman's back...the hangin' curveball... high fiber...good scotch...that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent overrated crap... I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.  I believe there ought to be a Constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter.  I believe in the sweet spot, soft core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas eve, and I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days.  Goodnight."
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Gern Blansten said: hi
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

I believe that what I believe is true.
    I don't have anything against people who believe otherwise. I don't know why my answers showed up in your quote,but it did
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

I don't have anything against people who believe otherwise. I don't know why my answers showed up in your quote,but it did
    It's just confusing...you state that "anyone who tells you where you are going to end up is full of s***".  That doesn't suggest that you are too confident with your belief.  

• Options
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

It's just confusing...you state that "anyone who tells you where you are going to end up is full of s***".  That doesn't suggest that you are too confident with your belief.  
    Because it's not up to this man or any man. Any person or preacher who tells you where you're going to end up has a major ego problem.
    I believe that God is the judge.  And that you will have the opportunity to talk it over with Him when you get there.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    It's the truth!  I believe.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    KC138045 said:
    Annafalk said:

"Well, I believe in the soul...the cock...the pussy... the small of a woman's back...the hangin' curveball... high fiber...good scotch...that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent overrated crap... I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.  I believe there ought to be a Constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter.  I believe in the sweet spot, soft core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas eve, and I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days.  Goodnight."
    Right on, Crash.

And you better believe it, baby!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughfreakingkDillon,
    Thanks for bringing up this topic.  It's been fun.
     My goal was to be uplifting and a help to some of you that aren't real sure about what you believe.
    I'm sure that some of you have heard that Christians are supposed to turn the other cheek.  That doesn't mean that if a Christian gets punched in the face, that he is supposed to turn the other cheek and let the guy hit him again.  That's not what it's taking about.
    It's talking about people like me who want to share some of God's Word with people in hopes of helping people.  It means that if someone is trying to teach people about the Lord and all they are doing is pissing people off, or maby trying to hard to get  people to believe in the Lord.  
    If that be the case,
    (as in my case here). You (Meaning the one who is trying to teach) are supposed to turn the other cheek and walk away from the conversation, because it's not productive if all your doing is pissing people off.  I think it's time for me to turn the other cheek here.  I'll go back to talking about Music. :)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    @RYME if you don't answer because you've left the thread, that's fine. But if you happen to check in..........:

while a lot of the bible is metaphorical, I honestly believe the passage of "turn the other cheek" was actually to be taken quite literally. At least that was my interpretation, and how I learned it from ministers in the united church. 

I don't think anyone here isn't sure of what they believe. from my perspective, people here who aren't theists simply understand that there is no way to KNOW what is out there. I don't get the sense anyone was looking for any help. there are differing degrees of comfort in that; I, myself, didn't give a shit about it until I had kids. But I am also firm in my belief that no one can know in this life no matter what anyone says. 

this is not meant as an insult, but I need to ask: don't you find that thinking you can help people with the word of god a trifle....arrogant? like you know something they don't and if they just listen they'll "see the light". there is nothing tangible in the "help" that message-sharers provide. that's what I have always gotten from people who wish to share their message. some may be pure in their motivation, like they just want others to be as "happy" as they are or think they are. But how does one know that I'd be just as happy or unhappy with or without god? I know a whole host of miserable christians. everyone's life is shit to varying degrees, and while theism can bring some comfort in that there is some sort of "plan" or "reason" for whatever is happening to them, it doesn't take away the pain of what is actually happening in the present. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yeah I believe a few of us posting here were former believers.  That's why these discussions tend to get heated because some think they need to convince us to believe because we are "missing something."  

I'm not missing anything.  That stuff makes no sense and my brain doesn't allow me to believe it.

• Options
    edited June 2017
     I'll still check in and out.  But I'll try to stop being preachy.
    Good questions, fair enough.
    I certainly don't want to come across as arogent.  Nobody was asking for help here no.  But the discussion was to discuss the concept of God.  And being a Christian myself, when I read all these things here.  Honestly when I read that someone here believes in no god, I want to help that person find God. I feel motivated to.  But often times that person doesn't want to hear it.  ok. That's when I am supposed to turn the other cheek and back off.
    When someone says "there is no god But if there is a god he is definitely a shitty God for allowing all of this world bull shit to occur."   I want to explain, but it would take way to long to write it all out, about  Our Father is indeed fair, and that He has a plan that is in the works, and that you are a part of His plan, and that you are a Child of the living God and He Loves You. And how when it looks like the bad guys in this world are winning, they certainly are not.
     Yes if I could, I'd like people to experience the joy in having an understanding and finding a relationship with the Lord, and to feel the comfort that comes with it.  It's definitely not arogence, it comes more from a compassion that I have for people.  Yes I want people to be happy, or happier than they are.
    Yes we all have our own burdens and varying degrees of it.  And when Jesus says "Place your burdens on Me". He wants to be the yolk for you to take the pressure off of you.  Ahhh, see I'm getting way to preachy again damn it. I wasn't going to do that.  Hmmm,. How should I finish this?  This response went way longer than I had planned.
    I guess it's hard for me to talk about our Father with out telling you about how awesome He is.

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    Those are all just words.
    Was he the yoke for those who were tortured in the Holocaust?

I'm sure that was a great comfort for them.
    If there is a God, He needs to ask THEM for forgiveness.

• Options
    Why is God always a dude?  Women give birth to new life, not men.  
    White Jesus.
    Nuff said.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Why is God always a dude?  Women give birth to new life, not men.  
    White Jesus.
    Nuff said.

Whoa, brother, I look white to you? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Seriously though, I've asked the same question- why is God always male.  I've never really gotten a solid answer to that.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    brianlux said:
    Seriously though, I've asked the same question- why is God always male.  I've never really gotten a solid answer to that.
    My kitty wonders the same thing when I feed her kibble each morning ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    brianlux said:
    Because man made god, and in this world, women are inferior to men (that is still true for the majority of the world). So obviously the men who used the concept of god to control the masses aren't about to make it female. And I think god was given a gender simply because god has to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and a god without gender would have been harder for some people to grasp or accept or relate to. Also, the male religious leaders would have had a much harder time speaking for god if they weren't considered to be like god on some level. There is a psychological reason for them to decide that man was made in God's image, and a sociological reason for them to make man the ruler of women.
    Men always worked to ensure that women had no power - making god a woman wasn't exactly going to help that cause, lol. I mean, Brian, women can't even hold any positions of power in the Catholic Church now (which should be illegal btw). It's not exactly surprising that god was created as a man, right? ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    God is Spirit. Masculine terms are used and He is referred to as "Father".
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.