Martins/Taylors?

2»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Both guitars can be had for decent prices. The key is playing it yourself because there are many tonal variations and feel differences on every acoustic guitar. Over the years I've played all the major brands at different price levels. If I were to go purchase again I would play all the guitars in the price range I'm looking at and compare the feel, tone, quality of build on each. Don't worry about brand unless the tuners are so horrible it won't stay in tune (that's why I added quality of build). If all of the points are good with you then buy it especially if it's a good deal. Many companies, especially the big ones, have lots of defects on their lower end models which can still be pricey when paying for the name. Now if you get into the ~$1500 and up range most are pretty reliable with the build but I have heard $3000 Martin's sound worse tonally than a $300 one. Same for Taylor. Personally I have a Martin I love that cost me around $500 about 8-10 or so years ago. But my baby is an old Gibson songbird. That thing sounds incredible and the feel is so comfortable I could play it for days without fatigue. It was truly built by an artist and somebody with a golden ear. I did have to lay down $2000 for it used, but it was worth every penny and I easily wouldn't sell it if somebody offered me $20000 for it.
    Anyways that's my input....

I would love to have a Gibson Songbird. I wish I had picked one up 30 or 40 years ago when they were somewhat affordable. Nice that you have one of those beauties!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    brianlux said:

dudeman said:

Older X-Series Martins were made to a pretty high quality standard for the money. I haven't played any of them since they moved production to Mexico. My guess is that they are still fine instruments and a great value.

I didn't know they had moved production to Mexico. The were still being made in Nazareth, PA when I toured the C. F. Martin factory there about 10 or 12 years ago. Great tour, by the way!
    I don't know the details of the move, just that they are building X-series Martin's in Mexico.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I bought an expensive custom Martin and it sounds great with new strings for about 2 days, and then it only sounds good after that.  I'm sure there are $800 acoustics that sound just as good so play as many guitars as you can and pick the one that sounds the best. 
    How old is your Martin? Have you experimented with different strings? 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    dudeman said:
    Older X-Series Martins were made to a pretty high quality standard for the money. I haven't played any of them since they moved production to Mexico. My guess is that they are still fine instruments and a great value.
    Only the lower end models are made in Mexico.  The higher end guitars are still in fact made in PA.
    Yeah, the X-Series is at the lower end of Martin guitars. I know that just about any guitar they make that costs over $1k is still made in Nazareth.
    edited June 2017
    dudeman said:
    How old is your Martin? Have you experimented with different strings? 

It is from 2010-12 I think.  A 0000-28H model from Gruhn Guitars in Nashville.  An impulse buy.  A beautiful looking guitar.  

This may be more of a situation where it is the golfer and not the golf club (I'm not a hack though).  I think I'll find some time to take it to a guitar shop and get a nice setup done on it.  Always found it difficult to play versus the Taylor I have.   Sadly I've played these guitars about 30 times in the last few years and need to find more time.  I've been playing my electrics a lot, lot more.  It is funny how for a period of time I thought I would never play electrics much anymore and then things completely flipped and I was all about electric and not much about acoustic. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    In the scheme of things, your Martin is still pretty new, epecially if it doesn't get played a lot. After ten years of regular playing, mine really filled out. The fullness, depth and complexity of tone is day and night different compared to when it was new. 

If I were you, I would string it with medium Elixirs and make the time to play a few heavy handed, open chord songs each week. 

You won't notice a difference right away but that should help the top open up a bit. There's no reason that that beautiful guitar shouldn't sound incredible. It probably just needs to mature.
    Thanks for the advice.  I will do that!
    dudeman said:
    Yeah, the X-Series is at the lower end of Martin guitars. I know that just about any guitar they make that costs over $1k is still made in Nazareth.
    I hope the X series are still as nice the my PA made model.  I love it- play it every day. 

I might have mentioned this before, but the C.F. Martin factory tour is a must see if any of you are in that neck of the woods.  It's amazing to watch the work in progress and the little museum has some amazing stuff.  Bought me a little C.F. Martin light switch plate while I was there too and a ball cap for my bro.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

The Martin tour is pretty high on my list of factory tours. Martin has been building guitars since 1833.I think they have it pretty well figured out by now. 

My six string is a US-built DCX1E from the early 2000's. It's great, stays in tune, plays well, and it sounds better with every passing year. I have seen used models from 2010 that were made in Mexico. The Mexican-made ones I've played have all been very nice too.

I also own a few Martin acoustic bass guitars that are all higher in the product range than the X-Series. The fit and finish, quality of materials, tone and playability are world class. 

It's safe to say that I'm a Martin fan. 
    dudeman said:
    The Martin tour is pretty high on my list of factory tours. Martin has been building guitars since 1833.I think they have it pretty well figured out by now. 

My six string is a US-built DCX1E from the early 2000's. It's great, stays in tune, plays well, and it sounds better with every passing year. I have seen used models from 2010 that were made in Mexico. The Mexican-made ones I've played have all been very nice too.

I also own a few Martin acoustic bass guitars that are all higher in the product range than the X-Series. The fit and finish, quality of materials, tone and playability are world class. 

It's safe to say that I'm a Martin fan. 
    Some nice stuff there, dudeman!  I hope you get a chance to do the tour!

edited June 2017
    Me too. I did the Carvin factory tour the last time I was in San Diego. It was pretty cool but they don't have nearly the history that Martin has. 

I've been through the Heritage Guitars factory too. That was really impressive. It was cool to see how Gibson used to build guitars. 
  • dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187

Wanted a Taylor acoustic for years and got my first as a college graduation present from my folks. Got the 314ce and later a sunburst 714ce but they just never quite felt right even though I was dead set on being all Taylor. Great sound and playability. Broke down and tried some more Martin's and absolutely fell in love with the feel and the sound. I now own a sunburst Martin D-41(funny enough a gift to myself after paying off my student loans) and couldn't be happier. Best acoustic I've ever played.

2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
    Taylor makes fine guitars but the ones I've played don't have the character that a similar Martin has. I played a bunch of Martins at Elderly Instruments today and it just reinforced how I feel about them.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    edited July 2017
    As the OP let me provide an update - my friend ultimately went guitar shopping himself, and picked out a Taylor 214ce Deluxe Grand Auditorium for double the price his wife had told me to spend. He loves it.

I know that of course the best way to buy a guitar is to try them out yourself, as many of you have said. But his wife asked me to get him one as a surprise, so that's why I was going, and asking you guys for insight. Thanks for the input.
    Post edited by StuffnJunk on
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    Glad it worked out. It was nice of you to help your friend out, too.

My uncle has a 214ce and it's a joy to play. Nice guitar.