MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    ^^^Also, that kid(Otano?) from Japan wants to do the same^^^^
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    cutz said:

Potential No. 1 selection McKay wants to be both pitcher, hitter

While the 2017 MLB Draft lacks a consensus No. 1 pick, the top two selections share a common remarkable attribute: they're both two-way players, and one of them is serious about taking those talents to the majors.

Brendan McKay is a left-handed pitcher and first baseman who currently plays for the University of Louisville.

"As long as I can do it, I want to try to do it," McKay told Steve Jones of USA Today regarding the possibility of being both a pitcher and a hitter at the MLB level.

To his credit, McKay is surprised at this two-way development, claiming he "never thought it would come to this, being at such a level of hitting and pitching."

The 21-year-old prospect is joined at the top of most draft boards by high school prospect Hunter Greene, who is a shortstop and pitcher. The 17-year-old lacks the development McKay has enjoyed in college, but could also make the case for being a two-way athlete.

The top selection in the upcoming draft is property of the Minnesota Twins, an American League team which employs the designated hitter.

The second overall pick belongs to the Cincinnati Reds, who happen to employ two-way player Michael Lorenzen, who has pitched 24 1/3 innings in relief, while also hitting a home run in five at-bats.

The draft gets underway June 12

Check out AJ Puk.  He can go both ways too.
    Why is no one discussing the Harper/Strickland brawl!?!
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    As a Giants fan, Strickland needs a couple weeks suspension. Bryce is also a little bitch and even though he did get in a shot on Strickland he took a far worse one. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    still laughing at Posey doing nothing.
    pjhawks said:
    He thought his pitcher was an asshole too, lol!
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Posey has pretty much said so without saying it. I don't blame him for not jumping into it. Dude missed a season for blowing out a knee and had a concussion already this season. If it was the other way around and he didn't jump in that would be different. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Asshole was retaliating for something that happened 3 years ago. I'm with Posey, fuck Strickland. :lol:
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pjhawks said:
    He thought his pitcher was an asshole too, lol!
    Even Bumgarner was like "Naaaaah, gonna grab this empty seat over here."
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Shocker that "Shark" was in a hurry to get in on the action.  Was happy to see Morris end that.

#alwaysND
    #aholeForever

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Shocker that "Shark" was in a hurry to get in on the action.  Was happy to see Morris end that.

#alwaysND
    #aholeForever

And he plowed into his own guy!!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

#alwaysND
    #aholeForever

And he plowed into his own guy!!
    The Giants were very slow to react.  You could even see the infielders jogging in.  They didn't want any part of it.  I actually don't think Harper was very effective, considering he was able to take the first punch.  He threw the helmet which made Strickland turn his back and when he faced forward, Harper was on him.  Strickland is a big mofo too, at 6'4".  I wouldn't bet against him.  
    The fight itself was definitely no Ryan/Ventura or Farnsworth/Wilson.  I'm really surprised Strickland got a longer suspension than Harper, considering Harper threw his helmet and the location and force with which he threw it.  But yeah, I wouldn't piss off Strickland in a lit alley, let alone a dark one.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    The fight itself was definitely no Ryan/Ventura or Farnsworth/Wilson.  I'm really surprised Strickland got a longer suspension than Harper, considering Harper threw his helmet and the location and force with which he threw it.  But yeah, I wouldn't piss off Strickland in a lit alley, let alone a dark one.
    Yeah, kind of bull crap.  Six games could mean 4 appearances, easy.  
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    You guys are joking right? Strickland should've got 10-15 games and Harper should've got a token suspension. Harper is out 36 innings, Strickland is out 6 max.
    Ryan/Ventura wasn't that exciting either...

Look up Ray Knight and Eric Davis!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    this "brawl" is non-news.

move along; nothing to see.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Ryan/Ventura wasn't that exciting either...

Look up Ray Knight and Eric Davis!
    I remember that one.  '86 or '87 if I recall.  And I dunno man, I'm not even one of those White-Sox-hating Cub fans but I really got a lot of satisfaction seeing Ventura in a headlock and 46 year old Ryan going to town on him.  Sidebar to that fight: in the following at-bat, Ryan picked off the runner at 1st who replaced Ventura.

Farnsy is still my all-time favorite.  Paul Wilson charging at him and Farnsworth just took two small steps and speared his ass to the ground.

Michael Barrett punching AJ Pierzynski rounds out my top 3.
    edited June 2017
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Anyone punching AssJam Pierzynski is a top one.

As a Reds fan I recall the Davis/Mr Nancy Lopez fight.  Good swinging by Knight but Davis was a bad dude, didn't hurt him. 
    Knight was a tough SOB.
    If I recall correctly one of the players on the Reds injured his shoulder during that fight by swinging and missing someone.  Cannot remember his name. 

Davis was my favorite player for years.  Such talent.  Injuries and an attitude that went south at one point for a bit really held him back but he was a special player over a number of years.  Amazing defense, big power, and great on the bases.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    oh, Mr. Met.

how do you give the middle finger when you only have four?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    david ross is doing the sunday night game...cubs/cardinals...espn had a poll on best baseball rivaliries....ross has been on one or more sides of 5 of 7.

they asked ross for the best...."not even close....giants/dodgers....players hate each other....fans hate each other"

damn straight....d**ger fans are the fucking worst.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Wobbie said:
    david ross is doing the sunday night game...cubs/cardinals...espn had a poll on best baseball rivaliries....ross has been on one or more sides of 5 of 7.

they asked ross for the best...."not even close....giants/dodgers....players hate each other....fans hate each other"

Has anyone gotten more leverage out of being a shitty baseball player than David Ross?
    Wobbie said:

Has anyone gotten more leverage out of being a shitty baseball player than David Ross?
    lotta hate for a guy who bears a striking resemblance to you.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

lotta hate for a guy who bears a striking resemblance to you.
    Goodness gracious 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    also surprised no one mentioned Albert Pujols getting his 600th career Homerun :clap:
    or Edinson Volquez ggetting the Marlins 6th career no hitter in their franchise (which is pretty impressive i would say).
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    amazing the marlins have six. am I correct that the padres still don't have even one?

no one likes poo-hole....dude has the personality of lint.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Wobbie said:
    amazing the marlins have six. am I correct that the padres still don't have even one?

no one likes poo-hole....dude has the personality of lint.
    i thought they had one, but doing some research apparently not

I like him, least he hasn't juiced up or anything.  He may be "boring" kinda like Jim Thome I suppose.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly