Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    dignin said:
    The Canadian extremists inside the Berkeley violence “So you guys might be wondering what a Canadian is doing here at a free speech American patriot rally,” she said. “But I’m here to give you a warning. Because as a denizen of the cold, northern wasteland that is Canada, nothing would please me more than to tell you guys that you will never meet the same fate that we did. "That your history of protecting freedom and individualism will keep you safe. Unlike in Canada’s system where we have a full-on assault on Western values. Where we have people being arrested for tweets. Where we have motions being passed in our government making it outlawed to criticize Islam. People are being persecuted for comedy and fined tens of thousands of dollars by social justice tribunals for the crime of making offensive jokes. I would love to tell you that America won’t end up like that. But that would be fake news.” http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/04/26/news/canadian-connection-extremist-fringe-inside-berkeley-violence
    interesting.
    Hahaha. SO stupid.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2017
    Trolls are fun.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    I don't have time to get into the economics of oil and Alberta at the moment but I will later. I just wanted to say look at our leaders here in Alberta.... Nenshi, Ivenson and Notley. Your perceptions of Albertans are anecdotal and not based in fact.

And to say Albertans don't have any negative consequences from oil extraction is very naive at best. Like I said, when I have more time I will respond with more info.
    I doubt any of us need you to inform us about the economics of oil in Canada.
    I wasn't talking about the tar sands - I know they are super harmful to the environment.... but nobody really lives near them. As for the rest of where the pipelines will go in AB, the environment isn't anywhere near as sensitive as it is in BC, and AB doesn't have to deal with all the oil tankers, nor do any pipelines terminate in Albertan cities. It really isn't comparable at all.
    Anyway, if you are an Albertan who is against the pipelines, please do enlighten us about that movement. I definitely haven't seen even a hint of it anywhere. All I have seen is that Alberta relies way too heavily on oil, and just about every Albertan I've heard from know that the province sinks or swims in relation to oil prices and oil exports.
    Listen, I'm not going to tell you about the pulse of BC because I don't live there. I'm not from BC, I have a lot of family and friends that live in BC but I don't live there and interact with people from BC everyday. If I judged BC from what I see on the national news and from social media I would say you are all a bunch of dope smokers and dying from fentanyl overdoses on East Hastings street. But I'm not an ignorant asshole, so I know that BC is full of a diverse population of people with all kinds of varying opinions.

I don't really know where you are getting this idea that I am against pipelines. I never said which way I lean on that issue. I do know plenty of people here who are against them. The most active guy I know is Mike Hudema, he is from my hometown.

https://twitter.com/MikeHudema?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

He is very active protesting pipelines and is the go to guy here when the media wants to get the other perspective. I know he has a lot of support here in Alberta (also a lot of people who hate his guts), and organizes and participates in many protests. But you wouldn't know that because you are not from here.

I also don't know where I said that Alberta's economy isn't heavily tied to the oil and gas industry. Where are you getting that from? Please stop putting words in my mouth. It's counterproductive.

Here is an article about tailings ponds. Ever here of them? 
    https://www.thestar.com/news/atkinsonseries/2015/09/04/tailings-ponds-a-toxic-legacy-of-albertas-oilsands.html

We have so many abandoned contaminated well sights here in Alberta it would make you sick. 
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-abandoned-well-meetings-1.4108164

They are just the tip of the iceberg of the environmental problems we have here.  Not to mention the friends I know who have died and been seriously injured working in the oil and gas industry. Now try and tell me that Albertans "really don't suffer any of the negative consequences".

Also, Alberta doesn't have a sensitive environment? That's a joke right? Have you even been to this province?

ya, i thought BC was a total shithole. would never go back.  
    Lol

This would coincide with the entire planet's view of BC- ugly shithole.

The countless lakes, vast forestry regions, national parks, Rocky Mountains and the Pacific Ocean- to name a few- are horrific features so stay away.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    I don't have time to get into the economics of oil and Alberta at the moment but I will later. I just wanted to say look at our leaders here in Alberta.... Nenshi, Ivenson and Notley. Your perceptions of Albertans are anecdotal and not based in fact.

And to say Albertans don't have any negative consequences from oil extraction is very naive at best. Like I said, when I have more time I will respond with more info.
    I wasn't talking about the tar sands - I know they are super harmful to the environment.... but nobody really lives near them. As for the rest of where the pipelines will go in AB, the environment isn't anywhere near as sensitive as it is in BC, and AB doesn't have to deal with all the oil tankers, nor do any pipelines terminate in Albertan cities. It really isn't comparable at all.
    Anyway, if you are an Albertan who is against the pipelines, please do enlighten us about that movement. I definitely haven't seen even a hint of it anywhere. All I have seen is that Alberta relies way too heavily on oil, and just about every Albertan I've heard from know that the province sinks or swims in relation to oil prices and oil exports.
    Listen, I'm not going to tell you about the pulse of BC because I don't live there. I'm not from BC, I have a lot of family and friends that live in BC but I don't live there and interact with people from BC everyday. If I judged BC from what I see on the national news and from social media I would say you are all a bunch of dope smokers and dying from fentanyl overdoses on East Hastings street. But I'm not an ignorant asshole, so I know that BC is full of a diverse population of people with all kinds of varying opinions.

I don't really know where you are getting this idea that I am against pipelines. I never said which way I lean on that issue. I do know plenty of people here who are against them. The most active guy I know is Mike Hudema, he is from my hometown.

He is very active protesting pipelines and is the go to guy here when the media wants to get the other perspective. I know he has a lot of support here in Alberta (also a lot of people who hate his guts), and organizes and participates in many protests. But you wouldn't know that because you are not from here.

I also don't know where I said that Alberta's economy isn't heavily tied to the oil and gas industry. Where are you getting that from? Please stop putting words in my mouth. It's counterproductive.

https://www.thestar.com/news/atkinsonseries/2015/09/04/tailings-ponds-a-toxic-legacy-of-albertas-oilsands.html

We have so many abandoned contaminated well sights here in Alberta it would make you sick. 

They are just the tip of the iceberg of the environmental problems we have here.  Not to mention the friends I know who have died and been seriously injured working in the oil and gas industry. Now try and tell me that Albertans "really don't suffer any of the negative consequences".

Also, Alberta doesn't have a sensitive environment? That's a joke right? Have you even been to this province?

Lol

The countless lakes, vast forestry regions, national parks, Rocky Mountains and the Pacific Ocean- to name a few- are horrific features so stay away.
    i can find all those nice things without visiting that shitbox.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2017
    ^^^

Where did you visit rustneversleeps to give such a drastic opinion about BC?

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hmm. the meeting of two trolls. this should be interesting. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hmm. the meeting of two trolls. this should be interesting. 

stick to topic.
    :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2017
    hmm. the meeting of two trolls. this should be interesting. 

stick to topic.
    :rofl: That was perfect.
  • dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:

Lol

Perfect!

Have a nice life.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    just to change topic a bit.  new breaking news.  Alberta Wildrose party has agreed to merge with the conservatives party.  no more updates but I wonder if Brian Jean will be leading that party. 
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    in other news, the USA has started the process to renegotiating NAFTA. 
    what do i think? i think the sign is gross. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2017
    It is intentionally divisive. I am actually against burkas, for a few reasons, and I still find this sign just stupid and irresponsible.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Trump rips NATO partners (Canada) for not making solid contributions towards collective defence:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/matthew-fisher-trump-didnt-scold-trudeau-by-name-but-his-point-was-clear

In all honesty, it's fair to some degree.
  • Trump rips NATO partners (Canada) for not making solid contributions towards collective defence:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/matthew-fisher-trump-didnt-scold-trudeau-by-name-but-his-point-was-clear

This is very old news TB.

President Trump has said this from the beginning.
    Your follow up question as a Canadian should have been what does our PM think about this.

This is very old news TB.

President Trump has said this from the beginning.
    Your follow up question as a Canadian should have been what does our PM think about this.
    You mean this is a very old Canadian practice.

Trudeau responded to the jab by commenting on Canada's commitment to date which has been reasonable. He stressed quality over quantity.

Did you read the link?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:

Lol

It is actually a very unique region that doesn't really have a peer, it stands alone (not necessarily above).

With that attitude, I'm sure it's better off without you lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited May 2017
    ^^^

rgambs, unless you have to deal w/ this ruthless leader of our country any and all opinions of yours are void.

The nerve of our elected leader by our votes. http://etcanada.com/news/228334/pm-justin-trudeau-melts-hearts-while-building-pillow-fort-with-little-girl/
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    ^^^

rgambs, unless you have to deal w/ this ruthless leader of our country any and all opinions of yours are void.

The nerve of our elected leader by our votes. http://etcanada.com/news/228334/pm-justin-trudeau-melts-hearts-while-building-pillow-fort-with-little-girl/
    You should take your own advice and stay away from all threads American related.
    2 posts on this topic?  2?  if this was displayed in NYC how many posts would it have generated here on The Fluff? 
    edited May 2017
    ^^^

I hear ya man. 
    Aside from my infatuation with the man, the myth, the legend President Trump I find it odd that they're  a few Canadians on here that sure do dwell on American issues more. To the point of excess really.  I don't care that Quebec is doing this but some people sum it up in a few words of what they think. 
    As with American posts/news they write a thesis on here complete with advice too.

^^^

I hear ya man. 
    Aside from my infatuation with the man, the myth, the legend President Trump I find it odd that they're  a few Canadians on here that sure do dwell on American issues more. To the point of excess really.  I don't care that Quebec is doing this but some people sum it up in a few words of what they think. 
    As with American posts/news they write a thesis on here complete with advice too.

and they think we're bizarre?  
    ^^^

I hear ya man. 

sigh. we don't "dwell" on american issues more. there's just more to discuss. canadian politics simply don't have the same ripple effect as american politics does. that is a simple fact. and it's more talking about global and humanitarian issues than american ones. it just so happens the current president is cornering the market on both. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    There isn't really much to say about the sign. It's a distasteful message from a xenophobic party that has little to no chance of winning power. 

Nezt issue. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    New leader of the Conservatives elected over the weekend. "Social conservative" - that's just great.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/andrew-scheer-says-hes-ready-for-huge-job-of-selling-conservatives-and-himself/article35141876/

I am within the large majority that doesn't really know much about Scheer.  Anyone know more?

And a second article, this one on the slow steps toward forming a government in BC. We are likely to find out this week what kind of deal the three party leaders are cooking up.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/the-uncharted-waters-of-bc-minority-politics/article35141547/

New leader of the Conservatives elected over the weekend. "Social conservative" - that's just great.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/andrew-scheer-says-hes-ready-for-huge-job-of-selling-conservatives-and-himself/article35141876/

I am within the large majority that doesn't really know much about Scheer.  Anyone know more?

I don't know much about him. Just from what I've seen from him when he was speaker of the house. Wasn't the worst candidate, wasn't the best. I really wanted Chong to win myself.
    And a second article, this one on the slow steps toward forming a government in BC. We are likely to find out this week what kind of deal the three party leaders are cooking up.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/the-uncharted-waters-of-bc-minority-politics/article35141547/

What are your predictions and hopes? I would like to see an NDP/Green coalition myself.