Options

What 1st vinyl player to buy...?

I'm a techie and I know basics about audio, I have a Fiio music player for what's that worth.

Looking to buy a record player to start spinning some PJ vinyl, can I not just buy something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00EUSMFPQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1494437905&sr=8-9&keywords=vinyl+player
or 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-LP-Belt-Drive-Turntable-Conversion/dp/B00COC61LO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1494437905&sr=8-4&keywords=vinyl+player

I have a nice stereo which accept optical or aux in. Do I need anything else?

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    It sounds like you may be good. But, I'd listen to all opinions. Enjoy spinning that vinyl!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    If you can double your budget, go for the AT-LP120.. Otherwise the 60 is a decent choice. 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    I recently got into vinyl and bought the AT-LP60 a few months ago and am really enjoying it.  I have some pretty decent speakers and I think it sounds great.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    Never buy a turntable with built-in speakers. In other words, don't buy that second one you linked to.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    That's good advice. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    Yeah, I would also try to stay away from the USB built in ripper as well.  As a general rule, the more gadgets on the TT, the more moving parts or (or chip boards) then therefore the more interference on the musical side.  Analog sounds best when it has the fewest circuits involved.  If you can up your price a bit, you can get into the U-Turn Orbit which is a great deal at $179.  You can also upgrade the platter and cartridge right out of the box.  https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-custom?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=33416840394&gclid=CjwKEAjwgZrJBRDS38GH1Kv_vGYSJAD8j4Df3DcYkvQGslopx9lc0Fz6vBhEQNGVxxZy1IYeun8ohBoChhzw_wcB

Keep in mind that your amp/pre amp will need to have a dedicated phono jack or you can buy a pre-amp.  While the price of something like that U-turn increases the initial investment, you will go several years longer without feeling the need to upgrade.  
  • Options
    As an aside.. my own personal experience.  I have a fairly high end set up and have for a number of years.  Several years ago I decided to get into vinyl.  I grew up in the 90's, so CDs/digital were the medium.  My wife bought me the LP-120.  I set it up and bought a few records.. Vs., NY @ Massey Hall, Steely Dan Aja, etc.  I immediately did an A/B comparison between the vinyl and my streaming DAC (all lossless).  The streaming sounded better.  It was crisper and more alive.  I felt like the vinyl was recessed and lost some imaging.  I immediately sold the records and returned the player.  

Fast forward a few years, I decided to do it again.  This time I bought a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with a Cambridge Azur pre-amp.  World of difference and now the vinyl is substantially clearer, deeper, better imaging, etc. vs the streaming.  Since then, I've been on a several year binge.  
    I guess my point is.. the TT and pre-amp (the LP-120 is built in) makes a world of difference.  If you can squeeze up to a U-Turn, Pro-ject, or Rega, it will make a big difference, particularly if the rest of your chain is good.   
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    edited May 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    As an aside.. my own personal experience.  I have a fairly high end set up and have for a number of years.  Several years ago I decided to get into vinyl.  I grew up in the 90's, so CDs/digital were the medium.  My wife bought me the LP-120.  I set it up and bought a few records.. Vs., NY @ Massey Hall, Steely Dan Aja, etc.  I immediately did an A/B comparison between the vinyl and my streaming DAC (all lossless).  The streaming sounded better.  It was crisper and more alive.  I felt like the vinyl was recessed and lost some imaging.  I immediately sold the records and returned the player.  

Fast forward a few years, I decided to do it again.  This time I bought a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with a Cambridge Azur pre-amp.  World of difference and now the vinyl is substantially clearer, deeper, better imaging, etc. vs the streaming.  Since then, I've been on a several year binge.  
    I guess my point is.. the TT and pre-amp (the LP-120 is built in) makes a world of difference.  If you can squeeze up to a U-Turn, Pro-ject, or Rega, it will make a big difference, particularly if the rest of your chain is good.   
    I'm mostly thrilled with my ProJect Carbon Debut as well except for the occasional times the motor noise bugs me (only during very quite moments).  One of the days I'll take the time to learn how to lessen or isolate that sound.  I've heard it can be done. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm mostly thrilled with my ProJect Carbon Debut as well except for the occasional times the motor noise bugs me (only during very quite moments).  One of the days I'll take the time to learn how to lessen or isolate that sound.  I've heard it can be done. 
    Interesting.  I haven't heard any noise.  Is it too close to a transformer in your amp or pre-amp?  Have you tried to move it further from any other equipment?  
    I also love the TT.  I think it sounds great.  I upgraded to the acrylic platter and a different cartridge.  I'm going to try a record clamp too.  I hear that makes a difference.  From the experts I've talked to about the Debut, they all say it performs like a $1500-2k TT.  You have to get well into the VPI type range to improve very much.  
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Interesting.  I haven't heard any noise.  Is it too close to a transformer in your amp or pre-amp?  Have you tried to move it further from any other equipment?  
    I also love the TT.  I think it sounds great.  I upgraded to the acrylic platter and a different cartridge.  I'm going to try a record clamp too.  I hear that makes a difference.  From the experts I've talked to about the Debut, they all say it performs like a $1500-2k TT.  You have to get well into the VPI type range to improve very much.  
    Agreed. Love my Debut Carbon.  I upgraded to the Ortofon blue cartridge.  I've also read a lot of reviews and have seen a common complaint about the motor humming.  I've never gotten that with mine, or if I have, my tinnitus ridden ears haven't noticed.

Also, to the OP, mrussel1's suggestion on a U-turn Orbit is also a very good choice.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    There are a lot of great vintage turntables that are good to go right out of the gate. Pioneer, Yamaha and Technics made nice units and they made a lot of them. Good deals abound. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV