2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    The stadium location is not a valid excuse.  It is Game 6 of the Conference Finals for fuck's sake.  In 38 years of being alive, my team has only seen that far 3 times.  4 times in the franchise's 47 year history.  For Ottawa, this is the 3rd time in their 25 year history they have gotten as far as 2 wins in the Conference Finals.

But waaaah I cant drive 20 minutes.  getthefuckouttahere.  A Tuesday in November vs the Coyotes, OK.  

Looking at a few articles, fans are pouring out the excuses.  Most common are the arena location, the fact that the Senators increase ticket prices every round (every team does it), Guy Boucher employs a boring style (which has gotten them within a game of the SCF as of now)...

Ottawa and their fans deserve the shade being thrown their way.  We know damn well that Canadians and the Canadian media (and me) would be roasting southern markets for the same thing.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    This it what a true hockey fan looks like these days.  Suck it, Canada!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    edited May 2017
    Jason P said:
    Ottawa citizens are probably life-long Montreal fans ... Remember the Sens franchise is only a few years older then Nashville's.
    You're not completely off.  Ottawa has so many transplants who often support their original home teams.  When we lived there we went to Vancouver and Edmonton games.  Half the crowd was kitted out in the opposition jerseys.   

PJ_Soul said:
    So the Senators had an elimination game in the conference finals and it wasn't sold out?!?!?  Crazy.
    It is kind of shocking. I've read that most think the location of the arena is the biggest reason for this. It's just a shitty location that nobody wants to schlep out to. I've also read that Senators fans kind of suck. No enthusiasm. IMHO, if a team can't sell out a game 6 during the playoffs, it is time for them to relocate. I hear Seattle is still open to the idea of an NHL team...
    Location is a huge factor.  For us, when we lived there, It was a 45 km drive to the arena with absolutely hideous traffic.  Not quite rush-hour lower -mainland traffic or Toronto 401 traffic, but very close.  Still, pretty sad that they can't sell-out an elimination playoff game. 

I've heard it said that, "Ottawa is the place where fun goes to die."  Having said that though, I still hope Ottawa wins.  Go Sens!

The location thing is such a lame excuse.  Is any stadium really that easy to get to?  Even if it was downtown then all the people who live in the suburbs would have a rough commute to get there.  Whenever I go to any Chicago stadium/arena, I have to take the train downtown and then usually another train or a cab/uber.  

It's just funny to me because hockey fans are always bashing the Florida teams, Carolina, Arizona, etc.. for shitty attendance (rightfully so), but when people are ripping Sens fans for not selling out playoff games, the excuse train comes out.  An elimination game in the conference finals not sold out....that's just crazy.
    I dunno. The arena in Vancouver is extremely easy for a lot of people to get to, because the train system branches off into 6 surrounding municipalities/cities that largely make up Metro Vancouver, and goes straight to the arena downtown - easy peasy. It's pretty sweet, and I really appreciate it. But yeah, at the end of the day, I can see how an arena's location might have a real impact during the regular season, but not in the playoffs, and especially not in the semi-finals, elimination game or not. There is definitely a SERIOUS fan attendance problem going on in Ottawa. I really do hope they decide to relocate.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,447
    woot!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    FUCK!!!!!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Close to Game 7 OT  here. Fantastic.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    Noting like sudden death, game 7!  Go _ens!  (Hopefully Ottawa).
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I f' ing hate that guy. Scumbag.
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,923
    That game was fucking intense, but a great finish!  Let's Go Pens!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Great game, everything a game 7 should be!  Just wish it was a better outcome.

GO PREDS!
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,846
    I knew the game was gonna end on some shot like that. And Ottawa looked dead tired that shift, you could tell it was coming. Oh well, Go Preds! Hopefully they win the cup it really solidifies Nashville as a hockey town for good! Penguins don't need it :)
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    rooting preds now... fuck i was hoping the sens would put out the pens.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    god I hate the butterfly style goaltending. how many fn goals are given up because these goalies are on their damn knees?  Great game though. 

that being said Pens-Nashville should be a lot more entertaining the Sens would have been.

Crosby is so good but do damn unlikable. I've always enjoyed watching Malkin though.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I bought my plane ticket to Nashville for Game 3 while they were getting the Western Conference trophy. If anyone has any extra tickets let me know. Can't believe their resell prices are 3x the Pitt prices. $1K just to get in the building.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    NBC probably let out a sigh of relief that Penguins won.
    Jason P said:
    NBC probably let out a sigh of relief that Penguins won.
    Pierre and Eddie O would have been inconsolable.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    I bought my plane ticket to Nashville for Game 3 while they were getting the Western Conference trophy. If anyone has any extra tickets let me know. Can't believe their resell prices are 3x the Pitt prices. $1K just to get in the building.
    Well Pitt has been there a load of times and just won last year....$1K to get in the door is higher than I would have expected, though. 
    Place is gonna be rocking.  Have fun!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I need to pick a team.....I don't mind either.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,375
    I want Nashville to take it all. Either way, that was an entertaining Game 1
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,846
    Well the penguins paid off someone for that 1st period bs, so many calls. Yeah and what's with Doc and them taking the penguins side one everything? Calling out the pred for diving in the 3rd, but not the penguin who was touched and fell for that cross check leading to the 5 on 3. Total bs. 

Go preds, I want to see them beat the pens, refs and announcers. 
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

a5pj said:
    Well the penguins paid off someone for that 1st period bs, so many calls. Yeah and what's with Doc and them taking the penguins side one everything? Calling out the pred for diving in the 3rd, but not the penguin who was touched and fell for that cross check leading to the 5 on 3. Total bs. 

Go preds, I want to see them beat the pens, refs and announcers. 
    Rinne sucked last night.  I thought it was interference on Crosby on the one goal.  TV is always going to lean towards the team with the superstar. As much as I dislike that whiny sniveling cheap shot artist Crosby the guy is a stud.
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    If you can't get in, get down to the arena early. The party in the plaza across the street(Walk of Fame park) will be wild. There will be beer stands, food trucks and live bands before the game (weather permitting), but it will fill up fast. The fire marshall closed it for people entering almost an hour before  the game last night due to it being at full capacity. They will be shutting down several streets and I think they're shutting down Broadway too for watch parties. If you go to the plaza, just stop by WalMart or someplace to buy some cheap camping chairs to sit in. I'll be in there for game 3 luckily and can't wait. I believe Muse is playing at Ascend Amphitheater that night downtown too.
    I'm done with this fucking sport.  God I hate Pittsburgh!!!!
    I've never minded the Penguins. Loved watching Jagr and Lemieux growing up. even always been a fan of the Steelers as long as they weren't playing the Titans. But now you've gone to far Pittsburgh.
    http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/05/30/report-predators-fan-who-threw-catfish-ice-charged-pittsburgh/354356001/

ponytd said:
    I've never minded the Penguins. Loved watching Jagr and Lemieux growing up. even always been a fan of the Steelers as long as they weren't playing the Titans. But now you've gone to far Pittsburgh.
    http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/05/30/report-predators-fan-who-threw-catfish-ice-charged-pittsburgh/354356001/

he should be charged for being a moron.  no problem with charges for doing this during a road game.
    What's it matter if he's a fan of the home or road team?  It's a crime if a road fan does it but not a home fan? If you can throw a hat on the ice or an octopus and disrupt the flow of the game, what's it matter if the person doing it is a fan of the home or road team? 
    This is just stupid.  Kick him out of his seat and call it a night.  Criminal charges are not only excessive but a complete waste of resources.
    This is one small reason of many why Pittsburgh sucks when it comes to their sports teams.
    pjhawks said:
    ponytd said:

he should be charged for being a moron.  no problem with charges for doing this during a road game.
    Why? it's all in good fun. Are you going to charge every person that throws their hat on the ice for a hat trick? Cause, technically speaking that is disorderly conduct. It disrupts the game for an even longer time. Are you going to go back and charge every Detroit fan for throwing an octopus on the ice? or Every Panther fan for throwing a rat on the ice? he didn't do it during play. it happened during a stoppage of play. He got kicked out, which is fine, but it's a harmless prank. If he had done it during play, I would totally understand, but it's a fun playoff tradition that doesn't harm anyone
    Just saw the offsides challenge play.

Holy shit, Im embarrassed to call myself a hockey fan.  what a joke that "rule" is
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,923
    I was watching the "Game Changers" interview before the game, and Doc asked everyone about what rule they would change in the NHL.  Toews brought up exactly this offsides rules, saying how it takes half an hour to determine someone's foot was an inch off the ice, and so a goal gets pulled back.  And I agree: sure it helps the Pens last night, so I have a bias there, but I'm not sure it's worth the amount of time it takes to review, and there will always be arguments over the review afterwards.  I did see this article, though, which I found interesting (even though it doesn't change my mind): https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2017/03/07/nhl-offside-rule-gm-meetings/98863574/

That being written, Go Pens.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    edited May 2017
    I was watching the "Game Changers" interview before the game, and Doc asked everyone about what rule they would change in the NHL.  Toews brought up exactly this offsides rules, saying how it takes half an hour to determine someone's foot was an inch off the ice, and so a goal gets pulled back.  And I agree: sure it helps the Pens last night, so I have a bias there, but I'm not sure it's worth the amount of time it takes to review, and there will always be arguments over the review afterwards.  I did see this article, though, which I found interesting (even though it doesn't change my mind): https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2017/03/07/nhl-offside-rule-gm-meetings/98863574/

That being written, Go Pens.
    To me, that article highlights what a clown show this rule is...  

The spirit of offsides, and the reason it exists is to avoid cherry-picking/goal hanging and for the offensive team to get a jump and an advantage.  I am completely comfortable with the linesmen making the call in real-time.  Even if it is mistaken, its not a big deal.  A couple inches is nothing in terms of offsides.   When that close, it is rare that the offsides is anywhere near directly involved in a scoring play.  This is a flow of the game thing.  I dont care if it goes for or against the Penguins, Sabres,  or anybody.  It is a cringe-worthy thing.  Its ridiculous.  Every game, there is someone seeing an NHL game for the first time and this has to seem like a huge confusing turn-off.  

This rule only works to take away goals and offense.  If a linesman messes up a call and blows an onsides play dead... a team cant review it and get their rush back.  

I thought the NHL replay system prior to "coach's challenges" was just fine.  It seems like the NHL just wanted something in common with other, more popular sports.  "Coach's Challenge" thefuckouttahere
    Post edited by MayDay10 on