Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I have been sick.. really sick.. lost 7 lbs just in that.. so today will be my first day back on the trail.. not going to push things as this whatever it was, really wiped me out.. for the first time in my life, I experienced fever cramping.
    Never made it on trail.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Never made it on trail.

That's ok, you will. It will be that much nicer after missing it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I did an hr 15 of lifting chest and arms, then 45 minutes/4.25 miles on the treadmill.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245

I have been sick.. really sick.. lost 7 lbs just in that.. so today will be my first day back on the trail.. not going to push things as this whatever it was, really wiped me out.. for the first time in my life, I experienced fever cramping.

I hope you feel better, whispering hands!

There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:

I hope you feel better, whispering hands!

Thank you. Finally feel better.
    rgambs said:

Never made it on trail.

That's ok, you will. It will be that much nicer after missing it.
    Thank you. It really will.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    So, maybe I'll join in here, if that's okay.
    I don't actually have an exercise goal at the moment, which is weird but true.
    In a nutshell: I've had thyroid disease for ten years or so. I've been a casual runner for 20+ years to help me manage stress and depression/ avoid killing people, but once my illness was under control I began running with more purpose, because there's nothing like no longer being able to do something you took for granted to make you REALLY want to do it again. [Hyperthyroidism causes muscle wasting, which most noticeably affects your large muscle groups, as well as an accelerated heartrate and a bunch of other stuff. I was so sick that I couldn't walk across the room without blacking out.] I now run about fifty miles/ week; I'm taking a break from racing, because I'm not a morning person and I'm REALLY not a people person in the morning, but I love to run trails and to run on the beach.

After many years of casual weightlifting, this year I began working with a trainer who has taken that aspect of my fitness to the next level. My husband is very pleased with the results. ;) He (my trainer) also is forcing me to get friendly with a foam roller and --- ack! -- a PVC pipe, for those really stubborn knots. On a whim, I ran a Santa Run (5K) -- obliterated my years-old PR by nearly two minutes, but didn't bother stretching or warming up beforehand, since I was just running on a whim. I've spent the last four months trying to work through the knots and strains in my hamstrings and gluteal muscles, thanks to that dumb move. Getting old sucks.

So, I find myself exercising like a fiend, two hours/ day on average, just to keep moving and stay busy, and to get me out of the house (I'm a brand-new empty-nester, and my husband's on track to be United's favorite customer this year).

Since I'm taking a break from racing, I am struggling to come up with viable goals for myself. My trainer gave me a goal of being able to do a pull-up, and I'm on board with that. Frankly, I don't really have any weight to lose -- maybe three pounds, tops -- and I suck at dieting. I'm enjoying having the time to spend on myself, and I'm in the best shape of my life at ::cough:: years of age, but I keep feeling as if I need to have a goal, even though healthy lifestyle changes should be goals in and of themselves.

Anyway, that's me: running 50 miles/ week, lifting 4-5 hours/week, foam rolling not quite often enough, and, now, trying yoga for the first time.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

In a nutshell: I've had thyroid disease for ten years or so. I've been a casual runner for 20+ years to help me manage stress and depression/ avoid killing people, but once my illness was under control I began running with more purpose, because there's nothing like no longer being able to do something you took for granted to make you REALLY want to do it again. [Hyperthyroidism causes muscle wasting, which most noticeably affects your large muscle groups, as well as an accelerated heartrate and a bunch of other stuff. I was so sick that I couldn't walk across the room without blacking out.] I now run about fifty miles/ week; I'm taking a break from racing, because I'm not a morning person and I'm REALLY not a people person in the morning, but I love to run trails and to run on the beach.

After many years of casual weightlifting, this year I began working with a trainer who has taken that aspect of my fitness to the next level. My husband is very pleased with the results. ;) He (my trainer) also is forcing me to get friendly with a foam roller and --- ack! -- a PVC pipe, for those really stubborn knots. On a whim, I ran a Santa Run (5K) -- obliterated my years-old PR by nearly two minutes, but didn't bother stretching or warming up beforehand, since I was just running on a whim. I've spent the last four months trying to work through the knots and strains in my hamstrings and gluteal muscles, thanks to that dumb move. Getting old sucks.

So, I find myself exercising like a fiend, two hours/ day on average, just to keep moving and stay busy, and to get me out of the house (I'm a brand-new empty-nester, and my husband's on track to be United's favorite customer this year).

Since I'm taking a break from racing, I am struggling to come up with viable goals for myself. My trainer gave me a goal of being able to do a pull-up, and I'm on board with that. Frankly, I don't really have any weight to lose -- maybe three pounds, tops -- and I suck at dieting. I'm enjoying having the time to spend on myself, and I'm in the best shape of my life at ::cough:: years of age, but I keep feeling as if I need to have a goal, even though healthy lifestyle changes should be goals in and of themselves.

Anyway, that's me: running 50 miles/ week, lifting 4-5 hours/week, foam rolling not quite often enough, and, now, trying yoga for the first time.

Awesome! I have neuropathy and it is spreading so I exercise to keep my
    Limbs healthy. Welcome to our support group. Everyone does something different. We're glad to have you.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Welcome curmudgeoness!

Awesome! My exercise goals are your exercise reality :) . . . one day, one day, I will run 50 miles/week.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

I think the goal of doing a pull-up is a good one! Make it 5 and 20 push-ups!!
    Running is just a small part of fitness, there are so many other aspects.
    I've never run 50 miles a week, that's a bunch! I am averaging 15.
    When I was in peak shape as a wrestler, I could do 150 squats without pausing. There is just so much to fitness that I am sad sometimes at the abundance of attention that is paid to running.
    Yoga is great, wrestling/judo/jiu-jitsu is even better, CrossFit is a cult lol.
    edited April 2017
    rgambs said:

I think the goal of doing a pull-up is a good one! Make it 5 and 20 push-ups!!
    Running is just a small part of fitness, there are so many other aspects.
    I've never run 50 miles a week, that's a bunch! I am averaging 15.
    When I was in peak shape as a wrestler, I could do 150 squats without pausing. There is just so much to fitness that I am sad sometimes at the abundance of attention that is paid to running.
    Yoga is great, wrestling/judo/jiu-jitsu is even better, CrossFit is a cult lol.

The push-ups I can do. =) Cross-Fit is not for me; I run to be alone, and group exercise makes me squirrelly. The fact that I meet my trainer at a gym, well, that's as social as my exercise gets, for now (yeah, I'mo happy that there is no talking in yoga).

I've done weight training on and off since I was fourteen or so, so it's comfortable and familiar to me. My issue is that, while I am pretty fit, I am not athletic -- meaning, for me, the simpler the activity is, the better, LOL. My metabolism also is trashed thanks to my thyroid. I've been tracking my food intake pretty diligently for the last few months: My average calorie deficit each day is about 1000, I'm rarely hungry, and the scale has not budged. In other words, running lets me eat "normally" (1700-1800 calories/day) without gaining several pounds per week.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Anyway, my goal for the week appears to be "exhaust myself." My man is gone for ten out of the next eleven days, so it's just me and the cats.

Today, I ran 5.5 miles on the treadmill, spent an hour lifting (upper body) at the gym with my trainer, and then ran another 5.5 miles at the beach. Odds are very good that I will fall asleep on the floor tonight while stretching/ working on knots. Odds are even better that I will not lose an ounce this week; all of this effort, and it's just maintenance.
    30 minutes on the stationary bike 
    30 minutes on the rowing machine 
    .25 mile running 
    A little weight lifting 

I felt good.
    Hmm. I am adapting to increased exercise volume and intensity. That sounds good, I suppose, but at some point I will struggle to find the time to eat enough to fuel the level of activity my body wants. I have a bad case of "runner's tummy" -- I can't eat for four hours or so before running, and I need to eat really small meals when I do eat, but I'm running or walking 2-3 times/day and lifting in-between. So on a day like yesterday, when I ran 6.2, walked 3.1, lifted for an hour, walked another three miles (legs were spongy after lifting) and lifted for another half hour, proper fueling was a challenge.

The weirdest part was that, two hours later, my body was convinced I hadn't done anything yet that day. I guess it's possible that I have become addicted to exercise?!?
    30 minutes rowing
    1 mile running; opportunity to work on speed and increasing my heart rate, but today was a good restart 
    3 miles on the treadmill, 200 push-ups, 50 pull-ups

Finally under 180!  I'm officially down 40 lbs, only 10 more to go!
    I seem to be maintaining where I'm at, which is ok even though I'd still like to lose some more fat. I've been steadily increasing my cardio the last couple of weeks, so I should soon start to see better results. I'm sure that it's going to be a constant back and forth though since I hate cardio. I'd much rather just devote all my exercise time to lifting.

I did a really intense shoulder and traps workout yesterday. I hardly ever get sore from a shoulder workout, but it's got me today. Hurts so good lol. Today is leg day :neutral:
    rgambs said:
    3 miles on the treadmill, 200 push-ups, 50 pull-ups

Finally under 180!  I'm officially down 40 lbs, only 10 more to go!
    Great job!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Took a month off of the weights and have been hitting a steady cardio routine instead. Weights resume next week. Looking forward to having the summer off to continue my gains.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Intended to get a monster 3 hour workout this morning, full upper body lift and cardio, but I slept funny and had a twinge pushing in my left shoulder and a twinge pulling in my right elbow so that was shot to hell.
    I did 100 push-ups and ran for half an hour, then I did the stair machine for 60 minutes with a 30lb backpack.
    I seem to be maintaining where I'm at, which is ok even though I'd still like to lose some more fat. I've been steadily increasing my cardio the last couple of weeks, so I should soon start to see better results. I'm sure that it's going to be a constant back and forth though since I hate cardio. I'd much rather just devote all my exercise time to lifting.

I did a really intense shoulder and traps workout yesterday. I hardly ever get sore from a shoulder workout, but it's got me today. Hurts so good lol. Today is leg day :neutral:
    I'm maintaining, too. On one hand, I really don't have much weight to lose (body fat < 18%). On the other hand, I work out for 2+ hours/ day, consume 1600- 1800 calories (no appetite), and I am losing at a rate of half a pound of fat per month. I should be ravenous and eating everything that isn't nailed down -- the joys of being a woman of a certain age with thyroid disease, I guess.

My trainer put me through a lower body workout last Monday that wiped me out for the rest of the week. I guess I was due for some rest days, but that was the first time I was sore from lifting legs in many years.

Today: eight+ miles on the beach, decompressing from weekend travel.
    30 minutes rowing 
    1 mile running in segments on the treadmill 

Once I run 3 miles non-stop with an average of a 10-minute mile I will join a running club. I haven't met that goal before, but I don't think it is outside of my ability. 
    I run for my mental health at least as much as I run for my physical well-being. Half a mile into today's run, depression snuck up on me and punched me in the stomach; the sudden flood of negative emotions was literally breathtaking, and I wanted to just curl up in a ball on the ground and wait for someone to find me and take me home and put me in bed.

But I made myself stay on my feet and keep going -- helped, I'll admit, by Courtney Love screaming "Gutless" on my iPod at a really opportune moment. I ended up running another fourteen miles and having the best long run I've had in recent memory.

I was reminded of a few important, non- depression-related things on today's run; maybe they will help one of you, too. First: Like the magnet on my car says, running is a mental sport (and we are all insane). I managed to talk myself into continuing with my run instead of giving up after half a mile; later, ten miles or so in, I kept telling myself I was doing great -- cheering myself on, as it were (all inside my head, I promise!). I tend to feel awkward when I do that, as if I'm channeling Stuart Smalley, but the truth is, those positive messages make a difference; those positive messages got me up the nasty hil that's at mile 23 or so of the National Marathon in DC.

Second: Fueling. I have had pretty negative experiences with large dinners the night before a long run. I'll spare you the details, but google "runner's tummy" or look for stories about people who decided to fuel up with chili dogs or a bacon cheeseburger the night before a race; it's not pretty. This time, the big meal was Friday night (half a pizza, a few glasses of wine, etc) and I ate as I pleased yesterday morning and afternoon, followed by a very light evening meal. Maybe it was just coincidence, but I had more energy for today's run than I've had in ages, and without the queasy, icky feeling that I usually have when I try to run the morning after a dinner out. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Major kudos to you, curmudgeoness, for keeping on going. Your experience kind of epitomizes an important thing about life - when you're in a bit that sucks, just do what you can to keep some momentum going until you're out the other side. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Re-reading this thread a couple of days ago reminded me that I had intended to try a pull up to see if I could do one. I stopped at a playground yesterday while I was out on my bike (because I don't have a pull up bar at home and don't go to the gym) and lo and behold I was able to do 5 pull ups without too much trouble. I'm  pretty pleased by that. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Great posts curmudgeoness and oftenreading. 

Happy Global Running Day!

I ran 0.2 mile on a treadmill, and exercised 30 minutes on the rowing machine and 30 minutes on the stationary bicycle. I felt good.
    No running for me on Global Running Day; instead, I awoke with a crushing migraine, of the "do I need to call 911?" variety. That really sucked. :-(

Once the meds did their thing, I worked three walks and a light (thank you, trainer!) leg workout into what was left of my day. I knew my run would suck, so I didn't even try. But I was pleased to find that the just-strenuous-enough lift helped me get rid of the residual ickiness from the migraine.

I ran 8,5 on the treadmill this morning while listening to Comey's testimony.

I've convinced my husband to work with my trainer; a nice benefit, for me, is that they're both busy telling each other how hard I work, LOL. =) My next goal will be to get them to address me as "Beast Mode."   B)
    Going for a nice 5 hour rock climb next week.
    Wife is cold, no exercise besides life, so she did 200 squats yesterday evening to get "in shape" quick.
    She's going to fall into the toilet when she gets home after a half hour in the car lol