Options

Multiple Fatalities- Ariana Grande Concert

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    mcgruff10 said:
    Serious question?!?

Where is security?  I go into a concert nowadays and there are wands and metal detectors.  How does a bomb get through?
    It went off outside the venue.  
    Thank you.  I hadn't heard the update.

So what makes this worse is they stalked this area waiting for people to come out.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    mcgruff10 said:
    Serious question?!?

Where is security?  I go into a concert nowadays and there are wands and metal detectors.  How does a bomb get through?

So what makes this worse is they stalked this area waiting for people to come out.
    Exactly. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    mcgruff10 said:
    Serious question?!?

Same situation with that shooting at that mcdonalds. They put something on Facebook to lure children/teens. 

Same tactics different senerios. Always the goal is higher death tolls. 

Evil.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    Jason P said:
    So it's possible that a few committed people planned in advance (most fucked up part) and decided to blow themselves up at an Ariana Grande concert in front of a bunch of little girls ... 

Religious leaders need to step up and LEAD sooner then later.  To bad that there is a lack of education, maybe suppression is the better term
    It's not a religious issue. 
    Yeah, sure.
    it's only a religious issue when it's the 'wrong' religion

can someone remind me what Freddie Mercury did?
    You don't know what you are talking about. For example:

Breivik was a nationalist who targeted political children because of their party's lenient immigration policies- allowing Muslims Norway citizenship.

McVeigh was anti government.

These people are just as shitty as the brainwashed Islamic idiot that blew up children at the concert last night, but their motivations are not the same. Stop apologizing for Islam- albeit a bastardized form of it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    edited May 2017
    I had seen a news report last night where one of the parents of a concert goer had called in, she stated that it was her daughters 13th birthday and for her gift she wanted nothing more than to go to the concert. It had me thinking back to my very first concert I had attended when I was her age, and how any terror attack (whether lone wolf or otherwise) was not even in anyone's spectrum of the mind... how did society and things ever get to this point is beyond disgusting
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    wtf can you some of you people let the bodies be removed from the scene before your start politicizing it or getting on your damn soap box. don't the victims at least deserve that? 
    So wait to be upset?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    Jason P said:
    So it's possible that a few committed people planned in advance (most fucked up part) and decided to blow themselves up at an Ariana Grande concert in front of a bunch of little girls ... 

Religious leaders need to step up and LEAD sooner then later.  To bad that there is a lack of education, maybe suppression is the better term
    Yeah, sure.

Breivik was a nationalist who targeted political children because of their party's lenient immigration policies- allowing Muslims Norway citizenship.

These people are just as shitty as the brainwashed Islamic idiot that blew up children at the concert last night, but their motivations are not the same. Stop apologizing for Islam- albeit a bastardized form of it.
    It is true that there is no group out there that compares to the radical terrorism that's coming out of Muslim regions, but this was a ham handed attempt to point out that there is a definite disparity in the way violence is regarded by the West.
    Violence perpetrated by Islamic terrorists is given so much more attention, so much more anger and hatred.
    It's fucked up that we bomb and kill their innocent kids and nobody gives a shit, but people lose their minds when much smaller numbers of white people become victims.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    pjhawks said:
    wtf can you some of you people let the bodies be removed from the scene before your start politicizing it or getting on your damn soap box. don't the victims at least deserve that? 
    So wait to be upset?
    where did i say don't be upset?  how about sympathy for the victims and their families first?  when this happens my initial thoughts don't go to the religion of who did this or what the political ramifications are.  clearly that is how some react and frankly i think that reaction is disgusting.   call me crazy or whatever you like for that. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    Jason P said:

Yeah, sure.

It is true that there is no group out there that compares to the radical terrorism that's coming out of Muslim regions, but this was a ham handed attempt to point out that there is a definite disparity in the way violence is regarded by the West.
    Violence perpetrated by Islamic terrorists is given so much more attention, so much more anger and hatred.
    It's fucked up that we bomb and kill their innocent kids and nobody gives a shit, but people lose their minds when much smaller numbers of white people become victims.
    I think we do give a shit. 

I hated Bush et al more than I've hated anyone in the past two decades. The US response to 9-11 was criminal.

BS would like you to think that this current problem we are experiencing started well before 9-11 and to some degree, he is correct (9-11 happens before any mass invasion) however, since the US invasion of Afghanistan and subsequent invasion of Iraq... it is on with no end in sight.

I can understand Islamic hatred towards the west (US) all things considered. I just disagree with their tactics. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    Reports are that it was inside the venue in the foyer. They got past security.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    So wait to be upset?
    where did i say don't be upset?  how about sympathy for the victims and their families first?  when this happens my initial thoughts don't go to the religion of who did this or what the political ramifications are.  clearly that is how some react and frankly i think that reaction is disgusting.   call me crazy or whatever you like for that. 
    I think I'll call you melodramatic. You're making issues where there really is none.

People have sympathy for the families and victims. That is why they express their 'disgust' for the perpetrators of the act.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    edited May 2017
    tbergs said:
    The area was called "the foyer" essentially  an open area between the train station and the venue.
    No security  to go through  to get to this location.
  • Options
    Horrific to know that so many of the victims are children. Fucking monster. Makes me so sad and brings me to tears. Kids probably going to their first music concert and experiencing so much excitement and joy, and then this. I hope there's some special kind of pain and suffering in the great beyond for people like this. I picture Dante's Inferno and hope they're getting 9th circle style pain.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:

Remember, it s the religion of peace. 
    You always miss the point. When a Christian commits an act of terrorism, I'm told it's for other reasons than religion. When a Muslim does, I'm told it's because of their religion. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    The area was called "the foyer" essentially  an open area between the train station and the venue.
    No security  to go through  to get to this location.
    Thanks for clarifying. I had thought that but then NBC had a news correspondent mentioning he got past security and was inside.
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,234
    What's really scary is that this shit could happen anywhere at anytime. Subway, sporting event, school dismissal, no real way to stop it.  
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    Jason P said:

Yeah, sure.

I hated Bush et al more than I've hated anyone in the past two decades. The US response to 9-11 was criminal.

BS would like you to think that this current problem we are experiencing started well before 9-11 and to some degree, he is correct (9-11 happens before any mass invasion) however, since the US invasion of Afghanistan and subsequent invasion of Iraq... it is on with no end in sight.

I can understand Islamic hatred towards the west (US) all things considered. I just disagree with their tactics. 
    I know many of us here do care, but the population at large really doesn't.
    Even those of us who do care, be honest, do you get the same visceral reaction from the headlines?
    I don't, even though I'm trying to keep it even.
    The way things are reported and presented to us makes a big difference in the reaction we have.

Later, when the photos start circulating, the outrage evens out.  Most people never see the photos of brown children covered in dust and blood, they only see the photos when it's white people.  Fox, CNN, the networks...they are all in the same boat on that, though Fox is always the worst... in every regard.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:

You always miss the point. When a Christian commits an act of terrorism, I'm told it's for other reasons than religion. When a Muslim does, I'm told it's because of their religion. 
    Talk about missing a point.
  • Options

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    Jason P said:

Yeah, sure.

I know many of us here do care, but the population at large really doesn't.
    Even those of us who do care, be honest, do you get the same visceral reaction from the headlines?
    I don't, even though I'm trying to keep it even.
    The way things are reported and presented to us makes a big difference in the reaction we have.

Later, when the photos start circulating, the outrage evens out.  Most people never see the photos of brown children covered in dust and blood, they only see the photos when it's white people.  Fox, CNN, the networks...they are all in the same boat on that, though Fox is always the worst... in every regard.
    Images of brown children dusty, bloodied and dismembered... or washed up on the beach are crushing. There is no difference between the two for myself and I only represent my views around here.
  • Options
    You and me both!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    So wait to be upset?
    I think I'll call you melodramatic. You're making issues where there really is none.

People have sympathy for the families and victims. That is why they express their 'disgust' for the perpetrators of the act.
    maybe i just have a different perspective when these things occur.  When 9/11 occurred I had a great friend who worked close to the area and whose thoughts my mind when to right away. do you have any idea how hard it was to call his wife that day and ask if she had heard from him?   I had another friend whose brother-in-law, a guy i have hung out with some, is a NYC Fireman who ended up going there that day (as did his brother and father) and a guy who i saw a week after the event. when i saw him he had a look that i hope to never see on another human's face. a look of a man who saw evil up close.  it was chilling then and still gives me pause to think about it.  so forgive me for thinking of the people involved for awhile in the aftermath because they are damn more important that what the political ramifications of what happened are.  ok?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:

You are the one missing the point.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    edited May 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:

I guess you and thirty can clarify the point I missed. 
  • Options
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    Jason P said:

Yeah, sure.

Unfortunately this is why this will keep on happening.

I met Iraqi's that still HATED Iranians because they lost a brother, cousin or relative during the war.  They still hold animosity towards the whole country.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    And what comes next will be more severe. 

Deep breath.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    edited May 2017
    ISIS would take credit for it if my toilet backed up
    Post edited by CM189191 on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:

I guess you and thirty can clarify the point I missed. 
    We have been through this before. From above:

Different motivators. And so sporadic (isolated events over the span of three decades) that even if they were spawned from Christianity and the bible... these acts don't compare to the torrid pace Islamic extremists are currently exhibiting.
  • Options
    They've released the suspect's name and some background on him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/23/salman-abedi-named-manchester-suicide-bomber-know/
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    rgambs said:
    CM189191 said:
    unsung said:
    Jason P said:

Yeah, sure.

I see this conversation in pretty much every terrorist attack, with the same responses.
    I see a difference in that more often Islamic terrorists do this in the name of their religion. Other home terrorists have other motivation (anti-government for one) who happen to be Christian.
    Obviously only very few Muslims supports these acts, and there have been some Christians who have committed horrible crimes claiming they were doing God's work. But I think it answers the questions as to why so many jump to the conclusion it was a Muslim terrorists and is viewed differently in the west. What I can't figure out is why so many seem like they defend it? When a guys kills 50 people yelling "Alah Akbar" people still try to say it wasn't related to radical Islam, and bring up McVeigh as a counter. One of the first posts in this thread seemed like an attempt to defend radical islam. In the last 10 years, how many mass murders were motivated by the Christian faith and acting on behalf of a Christian organization (and not just done by a Christian) and how many were done in the name is Islam? I dont think that number is even.