Please rise and remove your caps

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,375
    Who knew a thread about hat etiquette might get closed. My question about regional differences was more about outside of the stadium, say at shows or a restaurant. It's more casual in Oregon and people keep their hats on all the time. Maybe there's a couple real fancy restaurants in Portland where this doesn't happen. Heck, I've never been anywhere where jeans aren't acceptable.     
    I wear hats for the way they look and supporting my teams more than I do to avoid the sun. So I have them on inside and outside regularly. I go to restaurants and events all the time with a hat on. Even going over to a persons house I leave my hat on the whole time, I have never had a situation where someone suggested I take it off or look at me funny when I keep it on. Of course if I am in a suit or a nice outfit I wouldn't top it off with a ball cap, not because I feel I would offend anyone, just because the two don't go together. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    ^another thoughtful, reasoned addition to the debate!

I'm​ not one for observing traditions without reason to do so myself.  I don't do sporting events but I would remove my cap, half out of respect and half out of fear that some crazy hillbilly might start trouble.  Inside, hats aren't really necessary but a removed hat is easily left behind so I won't necessarily take it off because of manners, just depends on the situation.
    I don't worry about putting my elbows on the table because that custom is from the days when you would come in from chores, wash hands in the basin, and eat.  Clean elbows are fine on tables, no problem with it.
    Opening car doors for ladies is just ridiculous, opening doors for people when you are both going through is just common sense courtesy.
    Shaking hands I am not a fan of, too much time working in the operating room and becoming germ averse, but that one is hard to avoid, it's too awkward to refuse.  It is an outdated custom that has negative effects on people, but it sure is persistent.
    After games, the kids 'fist bump' now which makes much more sense.

* Side note: my iPad is making some crazy autocorrects. If I don't triple check... I'd come across as a lunatic at times.
    That does make good sense, I'll bet there's some grumps out there that hate it though lol
    The tradition is to honour your opponent. Not shaking hands is disrespectful. What? You can't even shake my hand? You don't think I'm good enough to shake my hand? Horrible humanness being.

* I left that stupid autocorrect in there to show what my stupid iPad is doing. Humanness? Wtf?
    Yeah, it also showed you weren't armed and trusted someone.  I get it, but it's become overused and it's just not sanitary lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:
    What makes elbows on the table rude?
    Why open a car door for a lady?  Is she incapable? Is it an inconvenience?  Is there a reason at all?

It makes you look like an ogre that has to support yourself at a feeding trough. Just like those people who use their utensils like a shovel and hold them using an overhand grip.

A gentleman never tells his secrets, he is just one.

• rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    ^another thoughtful, reasoned addition to the debate!

I'm​ not one for observing traditions without reason to do so myself.  I don't do sporting events but I would remove my cap, half out of respect and half out of fear that some crazy hillbilly might start trouble.  Inside, hats aren't really necessary but a removed hat is easily left behind so I won't necessarily take it off because of manners, just depends on the situation.
    I don't worry about putting my elbows on the table because that custom is from the days when you would come in from chores, wash hands in the basin, and eat.  Clean elbows are fine on tables, no problem with it.
    Opening car doors for ladies is just ridiculous, opening doors for people when you are both going through is just common sense courtesy.
    Shaking hands I am not a fan of, too much time working in the operating room and becoming germ averse, but that one is hard to avoid, it's too awkward to refuse.  It is an outdated custom that has negative effects on people, but it sure is persistent.
    After games, the kids 'fist bump' now which makes much more sense.

* Side note: my iPad is making some crazy autocorrects. If I don't triple check... I'd come across as a lunatic at times.
    That does make good sense, I'll bet there's some grumps out there that hate it though lol
    The tradition is to honour your opponent. Not shaking hands is disrespectful. What? You can't even shake my hand? You don't think I'm good enough to shake my hand? Horrible humanness being.

* I left that stupid autocorrect in there to show what my stupid iPad is doing. Humanness? Wtf?
    Yeah, it also showed you weren't armed and trusted someone.  I get it, but it's become overused and it's just not sanitary lol
    I was taking a leak in a public washroom. I saw some shoes and pants on top of the shoes underneath the stall door. The toilet flushed and some dude exited the stall, walked past the sinks, grabbed the door handle and left.

Every person that grabbed that door handle afterwards had shit on their hands. I know this because it is with 100% certainty you will have feces on your hands if you don't wash them after wiping your ass.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Who knew a thread about hat etiquette might get closed. My question about regional differences was more about outside of the stadium, say at shows or a restaurant. It's more casual in Oregon and people keep their hats on all the time. Maybe there's a couple real fancy restaurants in Portland where this doesn't happen. Heck, I've never been anywhere where jeans aren't acceptable.     
    I wear hats for the way they look and supporting my teams more than I do to avoid the sun. So I have them on inside and outside regularly. I go to restaurants and events all the time with a hat on. Even going over to a persons house I leave my hat on the whole time, I have never had a situation where someone suggested I take it off or look at me funny when I keep it on. Of course if I am in a suit or a nice outfit I wouldn't top it off with a ball cap, not because I feel I would offend anyone, just because the two don't go together. 
    You could also say that if you are in a place where a suit or nice outfit is implied to be worn a ball cap has no place but at the very least be removed from your head so you don't look stupid. It's just as bad as people that wear their flannel pajama bottoms around in public.
    rgambs said:
    What makes elbows on the table rude?
    Why open a car door for a lady?  Is she incapable? Is it an inconvenience?  Is there a reason at all?

It makes you look like an ogre that has to support yourself at a feeding trough. Just like those people who use their utensils like a shovel and hold them using an overhand grip.

A gentleman never tells his secrets, he is just one.

Haha that's just nonsense, elbows on a feeding trough would keep you from getting low enough to get your slop on!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    rgambs said:
    A better person?  Wow lol
    That's going a bit far.

why? don't you yourself define people by how they act? 
    I define people by the actions they take that have an effect on themselves, others, and the world at large.
    I don't define people by empty gestures.

So if a pedophile takes his hat off for the anthem, is he all good?  That's even easier than asking Jesus for forgiveness!  Neat-O!
    what is the matter with this kid?
    Does it make you feel tough to insult people on the internet?
    I'll bet it does.  

:clap:

A round of applause for the tough guy!!
    im not sure what youre insulted by?  arent you the kid that called someone a dick a few posts ago for stating an opinion?  

does it make you feel smart when you talk about how intelligent you are on the interweb every day?  

poupon?
    Calling him a dick was a mistake, I can own that, not my most mature post.  That being said...
    Your persistence in calling me a kid is a deliberate insult you have levied at me every chance you get since I spoke ill of the sonic abomination commonly known as "The Beastie Boys".
    If you don't like the things I have to say I would suggest you counter them with rational arguments or ignore them like a mature adult.  
    Otherwise you are trolling and that is unbecoming.
    well I am the one you called that and in all fairness i probably deserved it and trust me i'm not bothered by it at.  i've given my opinion on the hat matter. i know some disagree though.
  • ^^^

You in no way, shape or form probably deserved to be called one. 
    ^^^

No, he didn't.  I didn't really literally mean pjhawks is a dick of a person, but that's the way it came out and I apologize. 

Let's stick to the topic, I am with Mr Drake in the respect that if I am wearing a hat I tend to leave it on unless I have a good reason to take it off.
    I'm not doffing my hat at the casual Italian place, but I won't be wearing it to a funeral of course.
  • rgambs said:
    ^^^

No, he didn't.  I didn't really literally mean pjhawks is a dick of a person, but that's the way it came out and I apologize. 

Let's stick to the topic, I am with Mr Drake in the respect that if I am wearing a hat I tend to leave it on unless I have a good reason to take it off.
    I'm not doffing my hat at the casual Italian place, but I won't be wearing it to a funeral of course.
    If Tony Soprano is at that casual Italian place... you won't be wearing your herb logo hat. Did you learn nothing from that video?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,816
    I hold the door open for women and take off my hat at a restaurant. (Being from New Jersey a tony saprano type person could show up at any time). Am I terrible person? 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I hold the door open for women and take off my hat at a restaurant. (Being from New Jersey a tony saprano type person could show up at any time). Am I terrible person? 
    I would say you are more a cross of a poindexter and oooh... say... Barney off the Simpsons.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    I hold the door open for women.  I hold the door open for children.  I hold the door open for men, even big aggressive, angry looking men.  Why not?  And I like it when anyone holds the door for me.  A little way to spread some peace and kindness.  Easy, nice, and 95% of the times elicits a smile.  

I take my hat off for no one and nothing.  But then, I don't wear hats.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    I hold the door open for women.  I hold the door open for children.  I hold the door open for men, even big aggressive, angry looking men.  Why not?  And I like it when anyone holds the door for me.  A little way to spread some peace and kindness.  Easy, nice, and 95% of the times elicits a smile.  

Oh, I methinks you wear multiple hats, so at any given time you are changing one.

So yes, it's true you don't wear hats.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Why do people say God Bless You when you sneeze?  (Actually I have looked this up...just think it is similar.)
    I dont believe in God, but I say this to people.  Why?  Because it is customary and a symbol or caring and respect.
    If someone says it is a sign of respect for those who serve(d) that is good enough for me. 

I love that Sopranos clip.

My pops fined anyone wearing a hat inside his house (who had been told before he didn't want hats worn by men inside) a dollar.  My friends all used to laugh.  My brother and I paid many a dollar over the years.
    I will wear my hat in my house.  If I go into someone else's house I take it off. 
    I always take off my hat when eating indoors.  If I am eating on the patio, I will keep it on.  (Being a mostly bald fuck, the hat is for a purpose outside.  I also will keep my shades on, if needed, while eating outside.)

i started a thread a while back about how i don't say god bless you, since i think it's so fucking stupid that sneezing somehow shoves your soul back into your body. man, did it start off a firestorm of how disrespectful and rude i was for not just 'sucking it up' and doing 'what's right', meanwhile, not one fucking person could explain to me the significance of why such a stupid custom exists. i don't believe in god, so i'm not blessing you for blowing snot into your hand. 

the hat thing is equally as dumb. this was also addressed in another thread a while back, and thirty is correct, the best i can research was taht i found it started with knights removing their helmets when their superior appeared, most likely so the superior knew who they were and to make sure he could trust everyone. 

now we take it off so roseanne can wail the national anthem and grab her crotch. sign of respect indeed. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    the cap is supposed to go over the heart.  it's a sign of respect and love for those who fought for your freedom. don't be a dick. remove your hat and put it over your heart during the anthem.

But why is it a sign of respect? Who deemed it as such? For those who fought for our freedoms - what does that have anything to do with a hat?  What about a foreigner visiting and catching a game? No one here fought for his freedom. Why do we just blindly follow this "tradition" without questioning its validity and application to modern times?
    better people than you apparently.  any other common courtesy you want to piss on too?  not into saying please and thank you or hold the door for a woman? are you against happy birthdays and giving gifts too?  how about saying I love you? want to question who deemed that appropriate? any others?
    No need for personal attacks, man.  I'm not pissing on anything, just asking questions. That's what people do when they don't understand things and want to learn of their origins and reasons.  I don't see how not taking a hat off is a sign of disrespect to ANYTHING, moreover to those who fought for my freedoms.  And the only reason anyone has is "because that's the way it is."
    not attacking just offering my opinion that someone who respects the tradition of taking their hat off during the anthem is a better person than someone who doesn't.
    'a better person than you, obviously' is not a personal attack? then what is, exactly?

until you can answer why people do it, instead of just blindly following customs that affect no one and make little to no sense, keep your attacks to yourself. 

it tells a lot about a person if you think you judge a person's character solely on the fact if they take their hat off during a national anthem. jesus christ. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I saw some talk on the Flag Code earlier as the standard for protocol on how to address the flag. What I don't get is how clear the code is that the flag shouldn't adorn clothing and many other examples where our country has a flag boner. How do you guys view that?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,604
    I saw some talk on the Flag Code earlier as the standard for protocol on how to address the flag. What I don't get is how clear the code is that the flag shouldn't adorn clothing and many other examples where our country has a flag boner. How do you guys view that?
    I try not to view flag boners. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    brianlux said:

Oh, I methinks you wear multiple hats, so at any given time you are changing one.

Metaphorically speaking, true. 

Now as for hats... 
    Yes George? 
    I see!  Well why don't you tell the good folks.

"One of the things they told us was that if a boy or a man went into church, he had to remove his hat in order to honor the presence of God, butthey had already told me that God was everywhere. So I used to wonder, 'Well if God was everywhere, why would you even own a hat?' Why not show your respect, don't even by a hat! And just to confuse things further, they told the women exactly the opposite! Catholic women and girls had to cover their heads, when they went into church. Same as in Jewish temples, men have to cover their heads, in those temples. In those same temples, Jewish women, not allowed to cover their heads. So try to figure this out. Catholic men and Jewish women, no hats. Catholic women and Jewish men, hats. Somebody's got the whole thing totally backwards, don't you think?"

"What is this religious fascination with head gear? Every religion's got a different hat. Did you ever notice that? The Hindus have a turban, the sheiks have a tall white turban, Jews have a yarmulke, Muslims have the keffiyah, the Bishop has a pointy hat on one day and a round hat on another day, Cardinal has a red hat, Pope has a white, everybody's got a hat! One group takes them off, another group puts them on. Personally I would not want to be a member of any group where you either can't where a hat or you have to where a hat."

Thank you, George Carlin

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611
    Why do people say God Bless You when you sneeze?  (Actually I have looked this up...just think it is similar.)
    I dont believe in God, but I say this to people.  Why?  Because it is customary and a symbol or caring and respect.
    If someone says it is a sign of respect for those who serve(d) that is good enough for me. 

My pops fined anyone wearing a hat inside his house (who had been told before he didn't want hats worn by men inside) a dollar.  My friends all used to laugh.  My brother and I paid many a dollar over the years.
    I will wear my hat in my house.  If I go into someone else's house I take it off. 
    I always take off my hat when eating indoors.  If I am eating on the patio, I will keep it on.  (Being a mostly bald fuck, the hat is for a purpose outside.  I also will keep my shades on, if needed, while eating outside.)

i started a thread a while back about how i don't say god bless you, since i think it's so fucking stupid that sneezing somehow shoves your soul back into your body. man, did it start off a firestorm of how disrespectful and rude i was for not just 'sucking it up' and doing 'what's right', meanwhile, not one fucking person could explain to me the significance of why such a stupid custom exists. i don't believe in god, so i'm not blessing you for blowing snot into your hand. 

the hat thing is equally as dumb. this was also addressed in another thread a while back, and thirty is correct, the best i can research was taht i found it started with knights removing their helmets when their superior appeared, most likely so the superior knew who they were and to make sure he could trust everyone. 

now we take it off so roseanne can wail the national anthem and grab her crotch. sign of respect indeed. 
    I generally don't tell other people what to do.  Sure, with my boys I will direct them but I try not to tell others what to do.
    If you don't take your hat off because you want to make some sort of stand, fine.  That is your business and it does not impact me nor my family.  I really do not care.  I laughed at the Sopranos clip but I would not do that to someone.
    Do I think people look funny wearing toques around all summer?  Inside, especially?  Yes, I do. 
    Does that mean anything to anyone but me?  Nope. 
    Do I tell them they look funny to me?  Nope.  Why would they care what I think?

"God Bless You" to a sneeze.  I agree with you about not believing in God....but it costs me nothing (absolutely nothing) to continue a social standard of showing some sort of communal care by saying those three words to a stranger when they sneeze.  Do I tell someone who says it to me when I sneeze that I dont believe in God?  No.  Do I tell them they might as well be saying "BEGONE SATAN!"?  No, although that would make me laugh.
    They are being nice to me.  Its all good.  I tell them 'Thank You'  Most people say it, so I try to be nice to them and say it. 
    It really doesn't matter to me if you choose to say it or not.

I just look at these things as easy ways to have some sort of communal feeling.  If you don't choose to take part, I think that is OK.  (Again, you really should not care what anyone thinks if you feel so strongly.)

Overall, I think this feeling of having to fight every 'external power' is foreign to me unless you are a teenager.  Why cause so much anxiety in life?  Who cares?  Take your hat off - say excuse me - hold the door for people - smile at people when they approach you - allow someone to go before you in line once in a while.  Or don't.  Just because I find that smiling and trying to be friendly and social with people is the easiest path for me (regardless of how I feel that day) doesn't mean it is the easiest path for anyone else.  I just don't personally understand all of the anger people have over things like these.
    Life is too short.  The daily losses of people to mindless things tells us this. 
    Do what you think is right, just don't harm others, and all is good.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    the cap is supposed to go over the heart.  it's a sign of respect and love for those who fought for your freedom. don't be a dick. remove your hat and put it over your heart during the anthem.

But why is it a sign of respect? Who deemed it as such? For those who fought for our freedoms - what does that have anything to do with a hat?  What about a foreigner visiting and catching a game? No one here fought for his freedom. Why do we just blindly follow this "tradition" without questioning its validity and application to modern times?
    better people than you apparently.  any other common courtesy you want to piss on too?  not into saying please and thank you or hold the door for a woman? are you against happy birthdays and giving gifts too?  how about saying I love you? want to question who deemed that appropriate? any others?
    No need for personal attacks, man.  I'm not pissing on anything, just asking questions. That's what people do when they don't understand things and want to learn of their origins and reasons.  I don't see how not taking a hat off is a sign of disrespect to ANYTHING, moreover to those who fought for my freedoms.  And the only reason anyone has is "because that's the way it is."
    not attacking just offering my opinion that someone who respects the tradition of taking their hat off during the anthem is a better person than someone who doesn't.
    'a better person than you, obviously' is not a personal attack? then what is, exactly?

until you can answer why people do it, instead of just blindly following customs that affect no one and make little to no sense, keep your attacks to yourself. 

it tells a lot about a person if you think you judge a person's character solely on the fact if they take their hat off during a national anthem. jesus christ. 
    it was and that is why i admitted that i deserved to be called a di-- above. not one of my finer moments here i admit.  

and where did i say I judge character based solely on if they take their hat off?  every action leads to how someone is judged especially in that moment.  In that moment ,if you do that, I think you are being disrespectful in that moment. that doesn't mean that is your full character.  It takes time to fully judge someone and not just one small issue.
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Like a lot of you, I wear hats a lot. I don't wear them at work in my office because it's not part of the dress code, but I wouldn't any ways just because I feel like I don't need to wear one. I pretty much wear one anywhere else though and I always remove it for the National Anthem. I've always just done that, but have wondered why we do it? I tend to think of it as a sign of respect to those who gave their lives fighting for our country. But that's just me.

But anyways, last night I went to the park downtown here in Nashville to watch Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals between Nashville and Anaheim since I couldn't get tickets. They had a huge jumbotron set up and (according to estimates from the Fire Marshall) about 7k+ people out in this little area. Since it's a playoff game, they showed the National Anthem on the broadcast and everyone in the park stood up and some men started removing their hats. I thought to myself "ok, so we're doing this huh? Even though we're not at the game?" I went along with it and removed my hat just because why not, it's not difficult to do.  I thought it was kinda cool, but also kinda weird. I have no problem doing that at a game that I'm at since I'm there. But we weren't there and then I started wondering if these people stand when they're at home? When I watched the PJ Touring Band DVD about a month ago, I didn't jump up and down in my living room while belting out all the lyrics to the songs. Although, maybe I should have...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,203

I generally don't tell other people what to do.  Sure, with my boys I will direct them but I try not to tell others what to do.
    If you don't take your hat off because you want to make some sort of stand, fine.  That is your business and it does not impact me nor my family.  I really do not care.  I laughed at the Sopranos clip but I would not do that to someone.
    Do I think people look funny wearing toques around all summer?  Inside, especially?  Yes, I do. 

"God Bless You" to a sneeze.  I agree with you about not believing in God....but it costs me nothing (absolutely nothing) to continue a social standard of showing some sort of communal care by saying those three words to a stranger when they sneeze.  Do I tell someone who says it to me when I sneeze that I dont believe in God?  No.  Do I tell them they might as well be saying "BEGONE SATAN!"?  No, although that would make me laugh.
    They are being nice to me.  Its all good.  I tell them 'Thank You'  Most people say it, so I try to be nice to them and say it. 

I just look at these things as easy ways to have some sort of communal feeling.  If you don't choose to take part, I think that is OK.  (Again, you really should not care what anyone thinks if you feel so strongly.)

Overall, I think this feeling of having to fight every 'external power' is foreign to me unless you are a teenager.  Why cause so much anxiety in life?  Who cares?  Take your hat off - say excuse me - hold the door for people - smile at people when they approach you - allow someone to go before you in line once in a while.  Or don't.  Just because I find that smiling and trying to be friendly and social with people is the easiest path for me (regardless of how I feel that day) doesn't mean it is the easiest path for anyone else.  I just don't personally understand all of the anger people have over things like these.
    Life is too short.  The daily losses of people to mindless things tells us this. 
    You summed up my exact thinking on this. Great post. Live and let live.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    What about the Pledge Of Allegiance?

My wife is a business owner and member of the Lion's Club, and it's a rule that they rise and recite the Pledge to open the meetings.  How weird and silly is that?  I've always thought the Pledge was weird since early middle school when I learned about the Hitler Youth and similar propaganda systems.  I know that the Pledge didn't come about until WW2, so I have always wondered if we straight up stole the idea from the Hitler oaths.

Anyways, she doesn't say it, and nobody has ever said anything to her about it.

They also close the meetings with a "Hear us Roar" chant that is even more juvenile.  The doctor she bought her practice from thought it was ridiculous as well.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,203
    rgambs said:
    What about the Pledge Of Allegiance?

My wife is a business owner and member of the Lion's Club, and it's a rule that they rise and recite the Pledge to open the meetings.  How weird and silly is that?  I've always thought the Pledge was weird since early middle school when I learned about the Hitler Youth and similar propaganda systems.  I know that the Pledge didn't come about until WW2, so I have always wondered if we straight up stole the idea from the Hitler oaths.

Anyways, she doesn't say it, and nobody has ever said anything to her about it.

They also close the meetings with a "Hear us Roar" chant that is even more juvenile.  The doctor she bought her practice from thought it was ridiculous as well.
    Hitler actually stole the pledge action created by Bellamy, which was more generic and something he wanted all countries to use. The US later modified the words and added our country and the under god parts. After Hitler started using the hand actions to fit his criteria, the pledge changed to just holding your hand over your heart instead of pointing it outward toward the flag.

I think it's more about tradition with a lot of these organizations. It's based in their history.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611
    ponytd said:
    Like a lot of you, I wear hats a lot. I don't wear them at work in my office because it's not part of the dress code, but I wouldn't any ways just because I feel like I don't need to wear one. I pretty much wear one anywhere else though and I always remove it for the National Anthem. I've always just done that, but have wondered why we do it? I tend to think of it as a sign of respect to those who gave their lives fighting for our country. But that's just me.

But anyways, last night I went to the park downtown here in Nashville to watch Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals between Nashville and Anaheim since I couldn't get tickets. They had a huge jumbotron set up and (according to estimates from the Fire Marshall) about 7k+ people out in this little area. Since it's a playoff game, they showed the National Anthem on the broadcast and everyone in the park stood up and some men started removing their hats. I thought to myself "ok, so we're doing this huh? Even though we're not at the game?" I went along with it and removed my hat just because why not, it's not difficult to do.  I thought it was kinda cool, but also kinda weird. I have no problem doing that at a game that I'm at since I'm there. But we weren't there and then I started wondering if these people stand when they're at home? When I watched the PJ Touring Band DVD about a month ago, I didn't jump up and down in my living room while belting out all the lyrics to the songs. Although, maybe I should have...
    Wait -- you don't do this?
    Now I feel dumb.
    :lol:

Congrats on getting to the finals and for killing those Ducks!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Metaphorically speaking, true. 

Now as for hats... 
    Yes George? 
    I see!  Well why don't you tell the good folks.

"One of the things they told us was that if a boy or a man went into church, he had to remove his hat in order to honor the presence of God, butthey had already told me that God was everywhere. So I used to wonder, 'Well if God was everywhere, why would you even own a hat?' Why not show your respect, don't even by a hat! And just to confuse things further, they told the women exactly the opposite! Catholic women and girls had to cover their heads, when they went into church. Same as in Jewish temples, men have to cover their heads, in those temples. In those same temples, Jewish women, not allowed to cover their heads. So try to figure this out. Catholic men and Jewish women, no hats. Catholic women and Jewish men, hats. Somebody's got the whole thing totally backwards, don't you think?"

"What is this religious fascination with head gear? Every religion's got a different hat. Did you ever notice that? The Hindus have a turban, the sheiks have a tall white turban, Jews have a yarmulke, Muslims have the keffiyah, the Bishop has a pointy hat on one day and a round hat on another day, Cardinal has a red hat, Pope has a white, everybody's got a hat! One group takes them off, another group puts them on. Personally I would not want to be a member of any group where you either can't where a hat or you have to where a hat."

Thank you, George Carlin

RIP George Carlin... the voice of reason lol

I don't say it, but if someone says it to me, I thank them, for, as you said, thinking they are being polite to me. 

I obviously am polite to people, opening doors, smiling, etc and the like, but I have a thing about god. I just do. it's my thing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

it was and that is why i admitted that i deserved to be called a di-- above. not one of my finer moments here i admit.  

and where did i say I judge character based solely on if they take their hat off?  every action leads to how someone is judged especially in that moment.  In that moment ,if you do that, I think you are being disrespectful in that moment. that doesn't mean that is your full character.  It takes time to fully judge someone and not just one small issue.
    here-pretty clear to me:  just offering my opinion that someone who respects the tradition of taking their hat off during the anthem is a better person than someone who doesn't.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i'm pretty sure history has clearly shown that blind nationalism/patriotism is a bad and very dangerous thing...