RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    3days said:
    I don't have the experience or the knowledge of Ativan that some people have, and I'm not writing this to demonize it's usage. 

I took prescribed Ativan 3 times, over 1 week, about 10 years ago, to get through an important presentation. I took two small doses to see how it would affect me first, in the days leading up to the presentation. The day of, I took the fullest prescribed amount, 2 pills (can't remember the dosage). I felt confident based on the test runs earlier in the week.

The presentation went well, and I went home an hour afterward much relieved. Then things started to go bad. I began to feel increasingly rotten (mentally and physically). I felt cold all over, which makes sense. Lots of bad memories began to seep into my head; some were from childhood, and I hadn't thought about them in years. I was almost drunken drowsy, irrationally irritable and depressed. So, I went to bed (in the afternoon) angry, and with tears in my eyes.

I woke up 3 to 4 hours later foggy, but with a completely different attitude. I wasn't depressed, I wasn't sad, I wasn't angry, and I was glad that the presentation was successful. I had dinner, and had a pleasant evening. 

Needless to say, I decided that Ativan wasn't right for me.I guess I'm writing this as a caution. Despite having a good night's sleep, and experimenting per Dr's instruction, I had a bad experience with it. Doesn't mean that everyone does, or that it isn't useful, but be please be careful.
    prescription drugs, in general, can definitely be questioned.

my "thing" is oxycontin....so destructive....why are doctors still prescribing it?

money???
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    edited May 2017
    ....I'm just commenting on pharmaceuticals and pharma companies, who do not have our health and lives as their primary concern.
    I can tell you right now this is 100% not the case. I work for a major pharma company. There is a lot of work that goes into getting pharmaceuticals to the market. It's a labor of love. People that develop these drugs do it because they want to help people. 

Don't get drawn into the conspiracy theories that big pharma has the cure for cancer but would rather sell pills than cure the world's health problems.

There are a lot of great drugs that have done the unimaginable. Helped people live comfortable, productive, normal lives. Everything has side effects. It comes with the territory. It's a risk you take, that you discuss with your physician - do the benefits outweigh the potential risks? 
    Post edited by lotsalemon on
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

Wobbie said:
    my "thing" is oxycontin....so destructive....why are doctors still prescribing it?
    money???

It's prescribed because if used in it's intended manner, it helps the body heal. 
    Unfortunately many doctors will just throw a prescription to you if you complain of pain. That's on them. There are a lot of unethical doctors out there. And there's a lot of people who take advantage of these doctors. 
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Decent article. Always liked Richard Patrick and Filter. thought he had a similar style to Chris' voice.

http://loudwire.com/filters-richard-patrick-chris-cornell-saved-my-life/

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited May 2017
    it still just seems like it can't be real. It just can't be real. I constantly think of him as being alive and then am harshly reminded that he's not. I've spent the better part of the last 72 hours reflecting on him and I just haven't come to terms with it all. 

Also getting reintroduced to the emotions of having a very close friend pass in the same way, out of nowhere just like this. Emotions that I haven't felt in years have just come rushing back in the last few days. The whole thing is just so awful. I wish everyone close to him well on trying to find closure in this terrible situation, because in many cases it just never happens. I wish them the absolute best.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    I wanted to highlight something in this difficult time - the sheer breadth of the discography Chris Cornell has left us. Most successful artists (if they're lucky) may have a great band and successful solo career: The Who/Pete Townshend, The Police/Sting, The Stooges/Iggy Pop, etc. Chris Cornell goes far beyond that template.

Soundgarden: Forefathers of a generation of great music coming from Seattle in 90's and beyond (everyone knows "Black Hole Sun")
    Temple Of The Dog: Hunger Strike helped announce to a generation that great music could still be meaningful and collaborative. (Band #2)
    Audioslave: Reborn - fronting Rage Against The Machine. Their first album is like listening to a greatest hits package. (Band #3)
    Solo: James Bond theme success with "You Know My Name", "Seasons" from Singles, beautiful acoustic music.

That's FOUR major career arcs. In my book, only Neil Young and Prince come close to that type of output. 

RIP brother.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    ....I'm just commenting on pharmaceuticals and pharma companies, who do not have our health and lives as their primary concern.
    I can tell you right now this is 100% not the case. I work for a major pharma company. There is a lot of work that goes into getting pharmaceuticals to the market. It's a labor of love. People that develop these drugs do it because they want to help people. 

Don't get drawn into the conspiracy theories that big pharma has the cure for cancer but would rather sell pills than cure the world's health problems.

There are a lot of great drugs that have done the unimaginable. Helped people live comfortable, productive, normal lives. Everything has side effects. It comes with the territory. It's a risk you take, that you discuss with your physician - do the benefits outweigh the potential risks? 
    I work in business. Pharma is about money. Yes I'm sure there are researchers that care but no major pharmaceutical company is going to back a drug that won't make them good money. Those pharma commercials we see over and over are not for the greater good of human health.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    ehbacon said:
    it still just seems like it can't be real. It just can't be real. I constantly think of him as being alive and then am harshly reminded that he's not. I've spent the better part of the last 72 hours reflecting on him and I just haven't come to terms with it all. 

Also getting reintroduced to the emotions of having a very close friend pass in the same way, out of nowhere just like this. Emotions that I haven't felt in years have just come rushing back in the last few days. The whole thing is just so awful. I wish everyone close to him well on trying to find closure in this terrible situation, because in many cases it just never happens. I wish them the absolute best.
    A very moving post, eh.  I hope the coming days give you some peace.  It's been a tough week for so many.

I've read every single post in this thread so far and I can't remember the last time I ever saw more love and pain all bundled up together in one place before.  That  says quite a lot right there. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Not trying to be rude, but can people just stop with the speculative guessing about what happened, especially as it relates to the "misadventure" comments. Speculating it was an accident is one thing, but taking it beyond that is disrespectful and unnecessary. I don't get why anyone would bring up such things. It's gossip unless something comes out otherwise. Have some respect. We're all obviously at a loss and looking for an answer, but unless we ever get one, these speculations are no better than that random stranger writer who tried to point out there were all these signs Chris exhibited during the concert that night.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    tbergs said:
    Not trying to be rude, but can people just stop with the speculative guessing about what happened, especially as it relates to the "misadventure" comments. Speculating it was an accident is one thing, but taking it beyond that is disrespectful and unnecessary. I don't get why anyone would bring up such things. It's gossip unless something comes out otherwise. Have some respect. We're all obviously at a loss and looking for an answer, but unless we ever get one, these speculations are no better than that random stranger writer who tried to point out there were all these signs Chris exhibited during the concert that night.

I agree 100%.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • withflyingcolorswithflyingcolors CO Posts: 467
    ehbacon said:

All of this :(
    listening to Stern play songs and old interviews. Chris was so excited to talk music....it's too much. 

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    tbergs said:

Not everyone shares your opinion.  It's that simple.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but it is a fact that almost all pharmaceutical companies spend more on advertising than drug development.
    Pushing overuse onto doctors alone is not fair or accurate, particularly in the case of narcotics and antidepressants.
    It's a serious issue in America and Chris Cornell is part of the discussion now, unfortunately.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    This is a fantastic article. I don't understand the hateful comments by the readers under it. You don't often see civility and kindness on a message board so I don't know what I expected, but its nice to know the comments here show some respect. 

Strength and love to all. Have a better today.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/22/drug-ceo-will-lower-price-of-daraprim-after-hike-sparked-outrage.html

"The pharmaceutical company boss under fire for increasing the price of the drug Daraprim by more than 5,000 percent said Tuesday he will lower the cost of the life-saving medication."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/drug-giant-aspen-plot-destroy-cancer-medicine-big-pharma-times-investigation-a7683521.html

"Leaked internal emails appear to show employees at one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies calling for “celebration” over price hikes of cancer drugs, an investigation has revealed.

Staff at Aspen Pharmacare reportedly plotted to destroy stocks of life-saving medicines during a price dispute with the Spanish health service in 2014. After purchasing five different cancer drugs from British firm GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), the company tried to sell the medicines in Europe for up to 40 times their previous price, reported The Times."
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    rgambs said:
    I really don't want to be disrespectful to Chris, his family, or his legacy, but I have had a nagging thought since the beginning of this terrible news.

Is it possible that it was an accident?  I'm not explaining what I mean, some folks will get what I mean and some won't, but it just keeps circling the back of my mind and I haven't heard anyone else suggest it.
    I don't judge what people do when they aren't hurting anyone else, so I don't see it as disrespectful, but I suppose some might.
    It's just hard to wrap the mind around, scrambling for answer is a natural tendancy, but I guess it doesn't do a damn bit of good.
    here we go.... 
  • vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
    My wife showed me this last night....hearing him tell the back story....Chris you were such a wonderful gift, we will miss you forever.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMDb8xeESUI
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    Guys.. Pharma debates and speculative debates on the reason for Chris's passing is not in the spirit of what this thread is.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with either of these issues, this is just not the place to divide us. I would prefer this thread stays open for those who need to share and mourn and grieve. Please don't ruin it for them. Thank you...
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    ehbacon said:
    Also getting reintroduced to the emotions of having a very close friend pass in the same way, out of nowhere just like this. Emotions that I haven't felt in years have just come rushing back in the last few days. The whole thing is just so awful.
    Same here. I think I'll never totally recovered from the grief. You continue to go on, but the grief keep getting back. In moment like these it's so vivid.
    I turned to music when it happen the first time. Today, it doesn't help like it use to. I feel sad and helpless. 
    My condolences to his family, friends and fans in these roughs moments. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    steved said:
    Guys.. Pharma debates and speculative debates on the reason for Chris's passing is not in the spirit of what this thread is.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with either of these issues, this is just not the place to divide us. I would prefer this thread stays open for those who need to share and mourn and grieve. Please don't ruin it for them. Thank you...

+ 1

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxYCxP5PvOE&feature=share

SNL aired this Saturday night at 10pm....unreal
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/22/drug-ceo-will-lower-price-of-daraprim-after-hike-sparked-outrage.html

"The pharmaceutical company boss under fire for increasing the price of the drug Daraprim by more than 5,000 percent said Tuesday he will lower the cost of the life-saving medication."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/drug-giant-aspen-plot-destroy-cancer-medicine-big-pharma-times-investigation-a7683521.html

"Leaked internal emails appear to show employees at one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies calling for “celebration” over price hikes of cancer drugs, an investigation has revealed.

Staff at Aspen Pharmacare reportedly plotted to destroy stocks of life-saving medicines during a price dispute with the Spanish health service in 2014. After purchasing five different cancer drugs from British firm GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), the company tried to sell the medicines in Europe for up to 40 times their previous price, reported The Times."
    This guy.

Bring this debate elsewhere so we can all mourn here. 
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    steved said:

+ 1

+2
  • Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    It's been four days and I'm still sitting here thinking this is a bad dream.
    Totally agree. I have felt this more than i ever thought i would. I long for the day i celebrate his music again instead of wallowing in it. 
    I feel both of these statements.
    nicknyr15 said:

This guy.

Bring this debate elsewhere so we can all mourn here. 
    I agree. Just had to chime in to try and level the debate. 

• THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    The video of Chris singing Redemption Song with his daughter tore me up. My heart goes out to his kids. Hope they know how much their dad was appreciated and loved. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Took this tragedy to finally get a few more solo albums I've been meaning to get.. one being Songbook. Looked for it on vinyl, was selling 5 days ago for $35, now its $135. I saw a rumor they are being repressed, anyone know if that is true?
    Got a digital version, and am kicking myself not not listening to it for the last 5 years.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:

Not everyone shares your opinion.  It's that simple.
    Thanks for reiterating my point, it's your opinion on his death. Leave it to your personal conversations. This thread is for mourning, remembering and celebrating the brilliant artist Chris was, not for people to bring their conspiracy theories and speculation around his death.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited May 2017
    BS44325 said:
    my2hands said:
    BS44325 said:
    Still crushed by this. Pull out the Mad Season Sonic Evolutions vinyl if you can stomach it. The whole album is a beauty but River of Deceit with Chris on vocals just guts me. The photo inserts/vinyl sleeves leave striking images to remember him by.
    It really felt like we were entering an era where anything was possible as far as collaboration and tours with the Mad Season SE show/album and the TOTD tour

It just felt like everybody was in such a great place in life... but of course that is just a fans casual perspective from a disrance

That's why it makes so little sense. Think about all that Chris has been involved in over the last couple of years. Mad Season, TOTD, Soundgarden reissues and tour, solo projects including doing work for The Promise...it seemed like the sky was the limit. 
    It makes a lot of sense. He was tying up the loose ends in his career. I'm sure he had a Audioslave reunion in mind, but just couldn't handle life here long enough for that to happen. This was probably a long time coming for him. People who kill themselves don't just wake up on a random morning and say hey I kill myself, it's thought out over a period over time. It's sad to say all that.
    I don't picture that. The timing has made it harder for a lot of people and fans than it otherwise would have. SG was supposed to be playing in town for me this week, I debated getting tickets, and decided not to because its a very busy week and we knew we'd have family in town because of the holiday weekend coming. Glad I didnt, I would be so much more devestated if I had tickets and had been looking forward to going.
    Not to mention the fans that paid above face value for tickets, will now only get a face value refund.
    I dont how the logistics work, but I assume the band is out money and costs for last minute cancelation of a tour, just from the expenses involved in planning and booking, and handling the mess that was left. 
    Seems like creating a hundred more loose ends for his friends, family, bandmates and fans. Not tying anything up.
    As far as being an accident that has been mentioned a couple times, I doubt we'll ever know with any level of certainty.
    Post edited by mace1229 on