Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson For POTUS?

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited May 2017

Johnson's campaign slogan, "Make America Strong Again"?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2017
    Oh FFS. NO! Why is celebrities running to lead nations even a topic of conversation now? It's fucking ludicrous! Oprah, Kanye West, Kevin O'Leary, I heard Will Smith's name thrown out, now The Rock...  What is scary to me is that it seems many people think a celebrity running for POTUS is more viable than a person who truly fights for what he believes in for the good of all citizens instead of the good of corporations running for POTUS is. I get the feeling that the majority of Americans would totally bet on The Rock winning over Bernie Sanders, for example. Disturbing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,944
    He could try to deliver the people's elbow or a swift rock bottom to his opposers, but all they'd need is Mr. Socko to combat his executive orders :)
    Well he'd be light years better than Trump anyway....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh FFS. NO! Why is celebrities running to lead nations even a topic of conversation now? It's fucking ludicrous! Oprah, Kanye West, Kevin O'Leary, I heard Will Smith's name thrown out, now The Rock...  What is scary to me is that it seems many people think a celebrity running for POTUS is more viable than a person who truly fights for what he believes in for the good of all citizens instead of the good of corporations running for POTUS is. I get the feeling that the majority of Americans would totally bet on The Rock winning over Bernie Sanders, for example. Disturbing.
    American politics is reflected by American interests- mainly super hero comics, (un)reality TV and violence.  I'm not into any of the above, including American politics.  It's all become a big embarrassing joke.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    I find it very odd as well. However, Arnold did and wasn't he good at it? Passionate about his causes? Reagan was an actor. 

But I just don't see the Rock being passionate about it. He's passionate about two things: making movies and smiling for the camera. 

Americans in politics think that as long as they have a big name that everybody already knows, half the battle is won already. And they are right, to be honest. 

I'm so glad that O'Leary didn't come to fruition. I did NOT want Trump Jr as Canada's PM. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    A half-black, half-Samoan who was born in the US, raised in a foreign country and the state of Hawai'i, and carries duel citizenship.  Sounds a bit similar to someone else who held office.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Politics are entwined with Hollywood, no? - press, imagery, narcissism.  I mean, how many times have these ridiculously-overpriced fundraising dinners been held at the homes of actors, producers, directors, etc.?  Presidents on late-night entertainment shows?  It goes on...

And there are (or were) already many "celebrities" in the system aside from those mentioned.  Al Franken, Fred Johnson, Clint Eastwood, Jerry Fucking Springer.

I care about a candidate's integrity, character, some level of experience / knowledge, and stances on issues I care about.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    he could not be at all worse than the current guy.

what a shame that that is the standard now. not as bad as the current guy so we will accept the fact that he wants to run.

sad.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    he could not be at all worse than the current guy.

what a shame that that is the standard now. not as bad as the current guy so we will accept the fact that he wants to run.

sad.
    That IS sad.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    SNL spoofed this with Tom Hanks as VP.

https://youtu.be/8np0DiQQnP4
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    If you haven't seen the movie Idiocracy, you should because it is our future. The idea of The Rock being POTUS is a big step in that direction.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Great.  Our country is one big fucking "reality" show.  Apparently we haven't learned from Reagan and Trump that celebrities don't belong in the god damned White House.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    One thing for sure, The Rock if he becomes President he won't have to worry about his hair going grey.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    This is what I worry about. Our country set the bar so low with the current person holding office, it's not out of the realm of possibility that another unqualified dope gets elected and further accelerates our fall from grace.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    This is what I worry about. Our country set the bar so low with the current person holding office, it's not out of the realm of possibility that another unqualified dope gets elected and further accelerates our fall from grace.
    That bar is so low now, we also shouldn't be surprised if the night manager at some suburban gas station becomes president.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    It is officially going to turn in to a reality show. Trump will resign to bring the country the celebrity "President".

This is what we deserve after 20 years of non-stop reality TV (Survivor, Big Brother, Kardashians, Nick & Jessica, etc.) and 10 years before that with shit news (A Current Affair, Inside Edition, Hard Copy, etc.) and daytime talk show craziness (Jerry Springer, Geraldo, Jenny Jones, etc.). Stupid fucking people just eat it up and don't consider the effect it has. If a fucktard like Trump can get elected than so could any of the people from the shows I just listed.

Sorry for my crass language, but c'mon USA, get it together!
    It's a hopeless situation...
    edited July 2017
    Hey, Survivor is solid TV - it's the only real reality show in existence. None of that is staged or faked .... Sooooo..... Jeff Probst for POTUS!! :murica:;)
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    to be clear, the Rock didn't necessarily file for the 2020 campaign. some other dude whose ties to him are unclear did. 

The paperwork was filed on behalf of the actor by a West Virginian man named Kenton Tilford, according to The Hill, whose ties to Johnson are unclear at present.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Some Americans are right.  They have become what they love. Reality TV.  The rock has a serious chance right now and President Trump would not even insult him.  "The Rock is a great guy, a tremendous guy and I would be honoured to turn my Presidency over to this man" he would say.
    to be clear, the Rock didn't necessarily file for the 2020 campaign. some other dude whose ties to him are unclear did. 

The paperwork was filed on behalf of the actor by a West Virginian man named Kenton Tilford, according to The Hill, whose ties to Johnson are unclear at present.
    Yes, I noticed that, and I have been waiting for a statement from The Rock (Jesus... a potential nominee for POTUS is called The Rock. So ridiculous). I wonder why he isn't clarifying anything? Strange.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, I noticed that, and I have been waiting for a statement from The Rock (Jesus... a potential nominee for POTUS is called The Rock. So ridiculous). I wonder why he isn't clarifying anything? Strange.
    Is it any worse than The Donald?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:

Is it any worse than The Donald?
    It is WAY better than Trump, The Donald, whatever you call him. A semi-reasonable person named Shit Burger Bunghole would be better than anything about Trump. Still, I'd really rather not use Trump as any kind of measuring stick, lol. ;)
    Hell, I might run for President in 2020. Already have a campaign slogan:

• Hell, I might run for President in 2020. Already have a campaign slogan:

Trump did it and so can you.  
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Kid Rock isn't as stupid as I thought he was ...

"F--- no I'm not running for Senate, are you f---ing kidding me?" he told Stern. "Who couldn't figure that out?"

http://www.businessinsider.com/kid-rock-says-he-wont-run-for-senate-2017-10