PJ Community Anyone Ever Witnessed An Accident In Front You...

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
I'm on my phone writing  this....driving home on I95 S when this blue Volks drifts off the far right lane. On the side of the road is a parked with hazards  on a Ford F150 type pick up truck with the driver walking to the rear of his truck. The car only misses the man because he looks up sees the car heading right at him, he leaps out of the way by the rear of his truck as the car impacts the truck's rear drivers wheel at Approx 75 mph. The impact was so violent in front of me debris flew everywhere...the car's front wheel went flying as I'm trying to dodge a flying wheel and all sorts of debris. Luckily with it being Sunday traffic was very light. I pulled over to check my vehicle to see if I did get hit then went over to offer assistance and call  911. The driver at first appeared  unconscious and so was the passenger both driving from Texas.

Later the driver came to but was taken to the hospital  for observation and the passenger was in more serious condition both were rearing their seatbelts and every airbags deployed side ones too.

The impact was so great the rear wheel of the  truck ended up under the axle of the truck and other wheel was literally pushed free from the truck. When an HWP officer arrived and told him what happened he told the driver of the pick up buy a lottery ticket....five seconds delay walking to the back of truck he would no longer be amongst the living. I've never seen anything that violent....lessen to be learned on a major highway or any road no matter how safe you think you are hazard out, flares, or flashing lights the very worse  can happen stand off the road in front of your vehicle and
 STAY ALERT!

Peace I'm  glad I'm  still intact.
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Comments

• SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Geez, that sounds horrific. Glad you're ok. There's just too many drunken idiots on the road nowadays.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Really glad you are ok. Scary shit. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Damn, g.  Good on you for helping them out.

And to tack on SO's comment, there are just too many straight-up idiots on the roads.  Texting, speeding, high as fuck, sleepy, inattentive or just shouldn't be in control of a vehicle, period.
  • hedonist said:
    Damn, g.  Good on you for helping them out.

And to tack on SO's comment, there are just too many straight-up idiots on the roads.  Texting, speeding, high as fuck, sleepy, inattentive or just shouldn't be in control of a vehicle, period.
    An idiot killed my best friend back in the very early 90s.

Another idiot killed a friend's entire family in the 80s when I was 16.

Both events shocking. When good times go bad. Because of an idiot.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    damn dude.  glad you are ok and were able to help out.

g under p said:
    I'm on my phone writing  this....driving home on I95 S when this blue Volks drifts off the far right lane.
    also hope you weren't driving while doing this :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Glad you are fine G..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    not long before I switched jobs I was coming back to Ohio from Jersey in my Semi with a full load. Was on 287 looking to take 78 west.  I had just been passed by a dump truck who was in the center left while I was in the right lane. I see this newer Toyota Camry passing him in the far left.  They were approximately 50 to 75 yards ahead of me. 

The Camry started to change lanes way too early and its rear quarter panel clipped the the front tire and bumper of the dump. It spun the car 90 degrees. the dump driver got both vehicles off to the right shoulder , pushing the car sideways. when he finally got the truck to a full stop , the car kept its momentum continueing to thevright and forward. they wound up sliding up the shoulder embankment facing the wrong way but stayed upright.

Scared the shit out of the dump driver.  he could have killed them if it wasn't for his quick action and skill. when he got out of his truck , he walked around the back of it and collapsed on his hands and knees.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    damn dude.  glad you are ok and were able to help out.

g under p said:
    I'm on my phone writing  this....driving home on I95 S when this blue Volks drifts off the far right lane.
    also hope you weren't driving while doing this :wink:
    I thought someone might think that but I have way better sense than that brand new Galaxy phone and all.  Even though I live here in S FL where the roads here are mainly wide straight and flat I see far too many drivers take the liberty to drive and text....texting with no hands on the steering wheel and controlling it with their knees. Far too many memorials litter the roads here in Palm Beach County even though we have some of the best roads in the country.

As for the driver of the Volks it appears to be a case of him being sleepy, this happened around 8:30am and drifted into the path of a parked hazards on vehicle on the side of a highway. Thank goodness it appears all involved will be ok but what I saw that early in this morning was for sure surrealy shocking he missed that guy by 6 inches.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I hit a pedestrian once. Does that count?

the cop told me, "don't worry, it happens all the time." seriously, ha said that.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Glad you are okay G under P! Sounds horrific.

I came across this leaving Wrigley Night 1 last August. Must have just happened. Big explosion with debris floating everywhere. My windows were rolled up, but my skin still felt like it was on fire driving past this madness.

• Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Wobbie said:

the cop told me, "don't worry, it happens all the time." seriously, ha said that.
    This is why the elderly shouldn't be allowed to drive. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    I think Wobbie is a couple hundred years past "elderly". :giggle:
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I have & he died in the median right in front of my Dad & I. Horrible day. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Wobbie said:

This is why the elderly shouldn't be allowed to drive. 

when the old guy's insurance man called me, I told him I had no comment.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Holy hell.
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    That's awful! I'm sorry you had to see that too. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My dad and I were behind one on our way back from the New River Gorge Bridge Day in WV.  I was probably 15.  Truck drifted into the ditch on passenger side, steep bank just beyond.  No seat belt, driver was ejected.  Crazy, he flipped and flopped across the road in the other direction.  Passenger was belted, he got out and ran to the driver, kicked his foot and asked if he was ok.  Crazy bastard.
    We ran up, the guy was pale and conscious but there was nothing in his eyes, I was thinking that he was dying, but it was probably just shock.
    Next thing, before anybody can go to call 911 an ambulance came by in the other direction!!
     How about that luck?  
    I checked with the local paper for 2 weeks to see if he died because I was sure he would, but he must have made it.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    An odd thing I recall happened after the crash and the driver of the car came out after gathering his things. He was the ONLY who thought of taking pictures but then EMT started to test his cognitive awareness. He asked the driver who was the President of the USA and his answer was Obama, the EMT says you're coming with us.

Peace

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Scary, glad you are OK and everyone survived.

I once saw someone lose control and go all of the way across 4-5 lanes of 5 South in SoCal on way to San Diego.  They were a hundred or more yards in front of me and I saw it happening.  Guy regained control of his little truck and was going about 55 when I passed him.  I was horrified for him as I saw him lose control and was thankful it was mid-morning and nobody was around him. 

I have seen a dozen small accidents but never anything like you saw.  Had to scare the crap out of you. 
    Was in a pretty scary accident as a teen and it happened in slow motion to me.  A bunch of us and a bunch of beer in a buddy's Ramcharger and the snow on the side of the road sucked us in when he hit the ditch and pretty much threw us off the road and down a steep bank.  As we started to roll down the bank I called "Rolling..." out loud, mimicking the start of Youth Gone Wild.  (Hey, it was 1990!)
    We all survived and when someone asked what it was like to start to go down the bank one of my buddies commented on how I yelled out "Rolling!" and he was waiting for Skid Row to play. 
    Funny how you can slow things down when you go into fight or flight mode.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    One question.
    Did you say you're on your phone writing this and driving home, then you end it by saying stay aware?
    I must have misread it.....
    mace1229 said:
    One question.
    Did you say you're on your phone writing this and driving home, then you end it by saying stay aware?
    I must have misread it.....
    Well if you think about that question through how is it possible for me to be texting about the accident that is about happen in front of me? When I wrote  about this I was a bit shaken and not quite clear. I explained it in a later post, I only mentioned  the phone just in case I made any mistakes  in writing what happened. To answer your question hell no!

Peace

• EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    We saw a small truck flip and roll in front of us on the freeway in LA one Saturday morning.  A bunch of guys got out laughing (they seemed fine) and there were beer cans bouncing all around them.  My first thought was - these guys are drunk at 9 in the morning?