How does this affect PJ?

clane880clane880 Posts: 19
How do you all think this will affect PJ? Is it possible that some of the members just want to stop playing? They're not young anymore. Is it possible that they want to step away and just spend the rest of their days with their family? Or at the very least could this lead to a very long break away from recording and or touring. 

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Anything is possible. No one can know but them and even they likely don't know yet.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    I don't think so. That's not what Chris would want. 

A friend of mine said to me today "what do I do? How can I deal with my biggest inspiration just suddenly dying?" Chris was the reason he started making music years ago. I told him that the people like us, who have been so inspired by Chris have only one way to honor him, and that's by continuing to play and continuing his legacy and spirit in our music. That's how we honor him.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    Who is to say. If they did decide to step away,I would respect that decision.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    I think it effects them tremendously, they just lost a friend. They'll do what PJ does and get back to us when the time is right for them, not us. It's a lot to take in. I don't want to sound like an ass here, cause we all know what CC/SG has done for music and that era that has made us love these bands..  As humble and cool as this band is, now is our time to understand that to the depths. I just keep reading all these PJ/EV thoughts and I can't help but think.... What about MC? We all love EV but he was still riding waves in California while these guys we're creating what would become a sound that would define a generation. MC has been there since day one, he's like the best friend in my opinion who has the most to take in...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2017
    I hope it inspires them to be the best artists they can possibly be and use the music to help process the loss... and to continue to be the best rock band on planet earth and blow the fucking roof off of everywhere they go... 

Because, we're all still Alive 
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    Attaway77 said:
    I think it effects them tremendously, they just lost a friend. They'll do what PJ does and get back to us when the time is right for them, not us. It's a lot to take in. I don't want to sound like an ass here, cause we all know what CC/SG has done for music and that era that has made us love these bands..  As humble and cool as this band is, now is our time to understand that to the depths. I just keep reading all these PJ/EV thoughts and I can't help but think.... What about MC? We all love EV but he was still riding waves in California while these guys we're creating what would become a sound that would define a generation. MC has been there since day one, he's like the best friend in my opinion who has the most to take in...
    I couldn't agree more with your statement. This is a gut punch that nobody saw coming.
  • BanjoBanjo Posts: 272
    Attaway77 said:
    Agreed. 1000%
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Pearl Jam with a new drummer? At one point, Ed mentioned that if anything happened to Matt, he'd give Jack Irons a call, but that was eons ago.

I can't be the only one watching that tour page with the current dates.

This cannot be how it ends...but if it is...so be it.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    To make a terrible analogy, when every athlete loses the last game of the season, they wanna quit but also know u don't decide anything then. You regroup. And then see where your at. I'm finally able to listen to music. 1 step at a time...
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2017
    Well, if anything it should inspire Pearl Jam to make a record.

They have been diluted as of late.

edit- are the EV solo shows still a go?
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    The only thing I can think of is with tragedy comes art. We all need a valve to let out that pressure and for the boys, I think it's through music.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t0NgPMnMjE

in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    edited May 2017
    Personally i think Ed would be wise to cancel the euro tour.  Seriously how could he go out on tour so soon afterwards and try to put on an upbeat really good show?  I dont see it happening.
    With that said i think music is what these guys have always had to lean on when times get tough!  Music is their medicine!  I think the best thing for all of them is for them to be together writing music with eachother!  It would be much healthier for them to do that rather than sitting at home grieving. Sometimes the best thing to do is stay busy.  I dont know.  Just my 2 cents.
    Post edited by primussucks on
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
    edited May 2017
    Sonic Youth was supposed to open for PJ on Sept 4, 2000 and cancelled their set last minute (I don't know why). Ed addressed it during the show and said something about it being hard to come out and do the show under the circumstances but that they'd probably use music to help them through it anyway. I imagine this will be a source of musical inspiration for the members of PJ and many of the other musicians Chris Cornell knew, worked with, and inspired.
    Post edited by Banjo on
    Personally i think Ed would be wise to cancel the euro tour.  Seriously how could he go out on tour so soon afterwards and try to put on an upbeat really good show?  I dont see it happening.
    Ed's shows wouldn't need to be upbeat to be good. Isn't the angst and emotion in their music a big part of why we love Ed and Chris so much?
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I say leave them be & let them decide for themselves.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    No one can know for sure.  They should take as much time as they need to grieve and mourn the loss of their friend and worry about PJ later. There will be a time to address PJ again, but that time is not now.  
  • BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    We have absolutely no idea. They've been through a lot and always persevered. I believe they'll ultimately get through this. 
  • sometimesicringesometimesicringe Vancouver, BC Posts: 85
    edited May 2017
    I don't think it affects the band's plans too much - they are winging it right now anyway by the sounds of it...may inspire them to write some great music...
    I agree that Matt may be affected the most...and Eddies solo shows are pretty close...less than 10 days after, he may pull out
    but long term, I think the band is ok...Bruce was playing shows less than 9 months after Clarence died, that was a 40 year on stage friendship lost...it had to have been pretty tough for the boss to go on without him, but he did...
    I think they will be ok after some time
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if they band did a farewell tour and called it quits. Cornell is basically a brother to all of them as we all know. I can't see Matt having the desire to play anymore. 
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    edited May 2017
    I think some of you are overreacting. They might take a step back and mourn in peace. The impact is huge on a personal level. But on the professional level...they are musicians. Music is their release, form of expression, their funnel. They will go on.. maybe not immediately but eventually, each in their own way and I believe they might write songs attributed to Chris, as that is the truest form of expressing their love and a form of paying respect. 
    I suspect Eddie might postpone or cancel the tour (but if he doesn't - don't judge him - you are in a really strange place after someone close to you dies and might work even harder than before or react in ways others find confusing - but rest assured the pain is there).

My father committed a suicide almost three years ago and he was the human being I felt the closest too - my soul mate. It is extremely hard to get your head around it. The feelings of sadness, emptiness and loss are permanent. But I did move on. Faster that I would ever expected to - it was a bit different because I knew why he did it and in a way understood him (always). It is a way of letting your ego go - (you miss, you are sad, you want, you feel like you deserve to have him around etc - but the death is not about you) and respect the person gone as a whole and all of his decisions in life. 
    Post edited by Stereotype on
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

• solace23solace23 Posts: 704
    All in time. They are grieving and have just lost a brother. Whatever decision they make is going to be a tough one for them on a personal and professional level. It's ok
  • tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 879
    Pearl Jam with a new drummer? At one point, Ed mentioned that if anything happened to Matt, he'd give Jack Irons a call, but that was eons ago.

First off I'm so happy this thread exists because I thought I was the only one having these thoughts...
    i mentioned today to my friend about them maybe calling Jack Irons. I really don't see Matt wanting to play anytime soon. Tour anyway. 
    I don't think PJ will end from here. That doesn't make sense. Maybe another year or two off. 
    A Pearl Jam show would really help right now, and maybe they are somehow feeling the same way there's really no way to know. 
    I know it's just social media but nothing has been updated since. It makes me nervous. I know it's usually just clips and pictures but still...
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if they band did a farewell tour and called it quits. Cornell is basically a brother to all of them as we all know. I can't see Matt having the desire to play anymore. 
    It seems unlikely to me that they would want to call it quits but still find the energy to put the spotlight on themselves to have a farewell tour. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    U2 played a show when the father of Bono had died. The same day, and they played one hell of a show. Bono was more emotional, sure, but the songs were played the best way they ever had. But ofcourse, it depends on the artist, how strong they are etc. But I have to say, my grandfather passed away not so long ago, and the day after I went to work. Life goes on, and I hope the guys in the band remember that. But if they quit, I would understand it as well.
  • LindaPartridgeLindaPartridge Ireland Posts: 14
    They will react or make a statement when the time is appropriate for them. Perhaps they don't feel it's necessary or are unable to say anything at this point. PJs music and Eddies voice have been a balm which has soothed a lot of us during times of crises. If Eddie goes ahead with his tour in Europe we will have the opportunity to give something back to him, support, gratitude, healing through music and above all, love. X
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2017
    Nobody is quitting... hopefully it's quite the opposite

The beat must go on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    With that said i think music is what these guys have always had to lean on when times get tough!  Music is their medicine!  I think the best thing for all of them is for them to be together writing music with eachother!  It would be much healthier for them to do that rather than sitting at home grieving. Sometimes the best thing to do is stay busy.  I dont know.  Just my 2 cents.
    I don't really think you – or anyone on here – know enough, in this instance, to state what would be "wise" or not.

And it's not like Eddies tour has been advertised as "an upbeat evening with Eddie Vedder". 

I'm taking my mom to Berlin (from Sweden) to see him, so I hope he doesn't cancel the tour. But if it happens, it happens.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171

First off I'm so happy this thread exists because I thought I was the only one having these thoughts...
    i mentioned today to my friend about them maybe calling Jack Irons. I really don't see Matt wanting to play anytime soon. Tour anyway. 
    Jack quit for a reason. He can't handle heavy touring.

PJ doesn't quit when they lose friends (Andy, Layne, etc). They will do things on their own terms.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 230
    Quitting would be like saying that my life is over because my good friend is gone. Doesn't make sense. Grieving is a process, and time will heal and bring their thoughts back into clarity. There's no doubt that Chris' death will have an impact, and it will take time to overcome. Let's not forget, PJ were born out of tragic circumstances. PJ are survivors. I don't see them quitting anytime soon. As someone said, when the time is right, I'm sure they will find the inspiration to play again.
  • I'm sure Matt will want to play again, as I would think it's very therapeutic. So him specifically not wanting to continue is the least likely scenario.  And let's have a little perspective here on how things seemed to have gone down.  Chris was basically like "fuck you guys I'm out" (not literally of course, but essentially that's what it boils down to) so while they lost a brother there's no way they should let his poor decisions dictate their future. 

But as lots of people have said, we have no idea what this will do to them and it's pretty stupid to speculate even though history makes it pretty obvious.