The Weight of the World is NOT on Eddie Vedder

I know I'm likely preaching to the choir here, but after reading this article in the Washington Post, and digesting some of the Twitter posts cited therein, I'm left wondering to myself: What responsibility does Eddie Vedder have to carry the "the weight of grunge’s legacy" on his shoulders? What the hell are we even talking about?  

While this era of musical success and popularity gets lumped together as this singular movement called Grunge (God, I hate that word), each band carved their own unique path, created their own unique voice and sound. This vague idea of being a torch bearer for the Grunge Movement is nauseating. Are people expecting Pearl Jam to bust out a Soundgarden set? Play the era's greatest hits like Sinatra singing Dean Martin classics?  

Each body of work stands alone. Don't even attempt to put the weight of the success (or failure), the legacy of 90's alternative rock on the shoulders of Eddie Vedder. It's a disservice to him, his peers, and every other band of this generation. 

End Rant.
KC 98 00 03 10
Council Bluffs 03
PJ20 (1 & 2)
Wrigley 13, 16 (1 & 2), 18 (1 & 2)
OKC 13
Lincoln 14
Moline 14
St. Paul 14

Comments

• jbandlisajbandlisa Posts: 37
    KC 98 00 03 10
    Council Bluffs 03
    PJ20 (1 & 2)
    Wrigley 13, 16 (1 & 2), 18 (1 & 2)
    OKC 13
    Lincoln 14
    Moline 14
    St. Paul 14
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    see also:  Opinion. 

This is an opinion, there are and will be many.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    kramer73 said:
    see also:  Opinion. 

This is an opinion, there are and will be many.  

And OP is sharing theirs. Plenty of space for all. Yes, room for everyone.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    jbandlisa said:
    I know I'm likely preaching to the choir here, but after reading this article in the Washington Post, and digesting some of the Twitter posts cited therein, I'm left wondering to myself: What responsibility does Eddie Vedder have to carry the "the weight of grunge’s legacy" on his shoulders? What the hell are we even talking about?  

While this era of musical success and popularity gets lumped together as this singular movement called Grunge (God, I hate that word), each band carved their own unique path, created their own unique voice and sound. This vague idea of being a torch bearer for the Grunge Movement is nauseating. Are people expecting Pearl Jam to bust out a Soundgarden set? Play the era's greatest hits like Sinatra singing Dean Martin classics?  

Each body of work stands alone. Don't even attempt to put the weight of the success (or failure), the legacy of 90's alternative rock on the shoulders of Eddie Vedder. It's a disservice to him, his peers, and every other band of this generation. 

End Rant.
    Yeah, totally agree and well said, jbandlisa.  The continuum of great rock does not die with one man- great though that man's work was without a doubt- or rest on only one other man or woman's shoulders. There are still many great musicians from the "grunge" era (never was a fan of that term either but will use it for the sake of clarity) as well as from earlier periods and the contemporary who are still out there doing it.  True, too many of the greats of 90's alternative have been lost, but the same is true all over and putting the load all on one guy is unfair, unrealistic and very near sighted (not to mention sensationalist).

Long live rock!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• nostackedvinylnostackedvinyl Maine Posts: 857
    I was thinking about this very thing yesterday and it seems that Eddie (through no wanting our fault of his own) is being reverted back to what he was when the whole "grunge" thing started.  The face of it all.  The symbol for it.  The appointed one.  And the frenzy could be even worse now that the rest of them have passed away.

Something tells me he'd like being that person even less now than he did in the 90's
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    there's always so much emphasis put on the "big four", which is really quite stupid, based on nothing but geography. none of them sound alike. it is the lesser-known bands from that are that I would sound alike. I consider the term "grunge" to be more a period of time and geography rather than a sound. 

I doubt Ed is reading any of this shit, not even on his radar. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    there's always so much emphasis put on the "big four", which is really quite stupid, based on nothing but geography. none of them sound alike. it is the lesser-known bands from that are that I would sound alike. I consider the term "grunge" to be more a period of time and geography rather than a sound. 

I disagree, there are surely some similarities in their music and how they approach songwriting and performing.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:

I disagree, there are surely some similarities in their music and how they approach songwriting and performing.

I don't think PJ/Nirvana/SG/AIC sound anything like each other. At all. SG and AIC are the closest of the four, given their metal influences, except for vocals. But that's a stretch in itself IMO. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075

Exactly. Right now all of PJ & SG are mourning the loss of their brother and trying to figure how they can help his family, and trying to figure out how to carry on without someone who has been integral to their careers and lives. Carrying the "flag" of grunge is not on their minds, nor should it be, nor should anyone expect it to be.

I guess these kinds are articles are typical at momentous times like this, when people are trying to make sense of something incomprehsenible, and maybe trying to pay tribute and having it come across improperly. But I hope this kind of talk about Ed "being the last man left" goes away pretty quickly and people don't feel the need to keep bringing it up every time PJ/EV go on tour.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    well, seeing as PJ was never really grunge, he has zero responsibility.  However, he is last man standing on the great frontmen of the era from Seattle, and I think that will weigh on him a little.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    hrd2imgn said:
    well, seeing as PJ was never really grunge, he has zero responsibility.  However, he is last man standing on the great frontmen of the era from Seattle, and I think that will weigh on him a little.
    Off topic sorry, but every major fan of each of the five major bands from that era always says their favorite isn't grunge... are people just against that term? 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2017
    These opinions making headlines are all fake news.
    These people make me sick that capitalize on death.
    Fuck this shit about Eddie Vedder last of the grunge, protect him and last one standing.
    What a bullshit stage to hold him on.
    Get over it folks, we lost a great one but EV and Pearl Jam is not responsible to carry your grief.

• 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    To suggest that EV, Chris, Layne, and Kurt are all bound by some sort of legacy is ridiculous. To suggest that EV has a responsibility to a "grunge" legacy is ridiculous. To suggest that EV should feel some sort of weight based on maintaining this phantom legacy is absolutely ridiculous. While we're at it, to suggest that the band needs to react publically is absolutely, positively ridiculous. 

A family member, friend, and peer of Pearl Jam has died. Pearl Jam's only responsibility is to treat his passing as they think they should. No reason to assign legacies or weights or responses. 

I was really offended to hear about these tasteless social media posts.
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Many people loved Chris and are heartbroken right now. I saw Chris and Eddie as brothers since I first heard Hunger Strike. Seems to me people brought this whole "last man standing" thing up to try and cope. 

It's hard for everyone right now. Chris was a genius and seemed like a very kind man. Seattle has had so much success and so much tragedy with losing Kurt, Layne and now unfathomably Chris too. 

Tonight, I'm going hungry...
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    hrd2imgn said:
    Off topic sorry, but every major fan of each of the five major bands from that era always says their favorite isn't grunge... are people just against that term? 
    I think it was more of a  don't label us retaliation by all of us.  The whole idea of the Seattle movement was in some ways a counter culture to the horrible ending of the hair metal movement.  So having some assholes in Rolling Stone/Mtv and other rags call it Grunge was sort of a call to revolt even more by throwing that term out, their 200 flannel shirts, and their pre-ripped jeans.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171

Bingo. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Bingo. 
    Yup.  Or, even if he has seen some of it...well, my mind goes to Corduroy.  Quite apt.

"Can't let you roam inside my head."

(among the other lyrics in that song)

Leave the man alone, for fuck's sake!
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    These opinions making headlines are all fake news.
    These people make me sick that capitalize on death.
    Fuck this shit about Eddie Vedder last of the grunge, protect him and last one standing.
    What a bullshit stage to hold him on.
    Get over it folks, we lost a great one but EV and Pearl Jam is not responsible to carry your grief.

An opinion piece isn't news, real or fake. Sites like "The Onion" have fake news.

Sorry, but things like "I don't agree! Fake news!c make me mental.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    I think PJ already said what their gonna say with this.
    https://pearljam.com/news/chris
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    no it doesnt
    danny d
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    neil started grunge. i love that video clip. ^ ^  thanks for posting it had been awhile since i saw that!
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I agree with all you folks about how Eddie shouldn't bear a responsibility to carry the torch. However, that doesn't mean he won't feel that or other people won't expect it from him. I also agree that all the Seattle bands sound different from one another. However, we can't deny that there are similarities in their music, appearance, and public personas. It's also damn strange that almost all the major bands coming from mostly one city, credited with an era and genre of music, have all but one lost their lead singers. Now there is one major band left from that group and its understandable that casual fans or even non fans would go to that place of putting some kind of responsibility on Ed. i don't agree with it, or like it, but I understand.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think PJ already said what their gonna say with this.
    https://pearljam.com/news/chris
    Thanks for this.  My laptop is logged into the forums vs the main page so I hadn't seen it.

Sweetness.

May all live at and rest in peace.
  • wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,299
    The people that are saying/writing this, are narrow minded individuals that I have no time or consideration for.  Their version of reality is skewed to the point of no return and I have zero interest in their opinion. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    rgambs said:

I don't think PJ/Nirvana/SG/AIC sound anything like each other. At all. SG and AIC are the closest of the four, given their metal influences, except for vocals. But that's a stretch in itself IMO. 

I agree with you Hugh.  Nirvana is the most raw, "grunge" type of band.  Pearl Jam is straightforward, classic rock.  Soundgarden has that Black Sabbath metal and mysterious rhythm.  Alice in Chains probably had the most talented guitar player of the bunch whose solos were so melodic and fit the song perfectly (like Slash in GNR) versus the muddy, improvised typed solos of PJ (which again shows the differences in style). 

Hard for me to explain, but I was thinking about this yesterday and today before even reading this thread how different all the bands were.  Throw in Smashing PUmpkins too (a distinctly different sound).    

• kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    edited May 2017
     :| 
    Post edited by kaseylily on
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    Don't feed the trolls. Let them fester in their unrecognized hate. 
  • kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    edited May 2017
     =) 
    Post edited by kaseylily on
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Bump. Seems like a good reminder.
    It's a hopeless situation...