RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    Is everyone else a bit worried about Eddie? I keep thinking about him
    Not more than for Matt...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    I didn't cry about Kurt (until I watched the movie). 
    I didn't cry about Layne. 
    For some reason, this hurts more than I imagined it would. 
    Maybe it's the place I'm in now. 
    Maybe it's the place I thought he was in. 
    Maybe because it's so shocking. 
    I agree with this 100%. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Is everyone else a bit worried about Eddie? I keep thinking about him
    Not more than for Matt...
    I hear ya. I just keep thinking of how hurt they all must be having to lose yet another loved one.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    edited May 2017
    Is everyone else a bit worried about Eddie? I keep thinking about him
    I wouldn't say worried, but I am thinking about everyone who was close to Chris and so saddened by what a horrible thing this is for all of them, especially his wife and kids (sounds like his wife doesn't even think he would have done this to himself, which makes this even more tragic one way or another), his poor mother and father, all his siblings, Soundgarden, and yes, all of PJ/TOTD, and all the rest of his family and friends. If nobody even saw this coming (if it was indeed suicide), there are few things I can imagine that would be more painful for any of them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    Most of us behave as we should. With respect, emotion, and trying to get better together. But then . . . there is always that one disrespectful person. Don't lower yourself..
    i apologize, i'm still in shock. 

Did someone post this?
    http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/05/18/chris-cornell-final-performance-detroit-soundgarden/330051001/

This is the last thing i expected.  Seemed to have his stuff together.  ToTD was the last time i saw him
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_RwJpLI2mQ&t=7s

This was the second time i saw him.  This was pretty cool show cause they played White stripes "Seven Nation army"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU9e1SA3O9Y

That link seems to me like created nonsense, to shape a narrative from nothing.

No one who were at the show, and has commented on here, seems to talk about it being all filled with signs of doom.

And him walking across the stage and being soft/weak in his movements. Isn't that always how he's been behaving and how he plays guitar etc. Badly described but yeah. 

How many shows has that writer seen with Cornell?
    probably none.  from the youtube videos i saw he looked fine.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • kenkkenk Posts: 210

No one who were at the show, and has commented on here, seems to talk about it being all filled with signs of doom.

And him walking across the stage and being soft/weak in his movements. Isn't that always how he's been behaving and how he plays guitar etc. Badly described but yeah. 

How many shows has that writer seen with Cornell?
    This was my 5th time over a couple decades seeing him perform and i thought he was in a better mood than the other gigs. Quite talkative, and a lot of crowd interaction. No way anything done at the show would have made people think this was coming.
  • Most of us behave as we should. With respect, emotion, and trying to get better together. But then . . . there is always that one disrespectful person. Don't lower yourself..
    i apologize, i'm still in shock. 

Did someone post this?
    http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/05/18/chris-cornell-final-performance-detroit-soundgarden/330051001/

This is the last thing i expected.  Seemed to have his stuff together.  ToTD was the last time i saw him
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_RwJpLI2mQ&t=7s

This was the second time i saw him.  This was pretty cool show cause they played White stripes "Seven Nation army"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU9e1SA3O9Y

It's been twice now since you've tried to apologize for your inappropriate post. I never read it, but can I accept your apology?

It's a really rough day for all and nobody needs to feel the additional burden of a mistake gone unforgiven.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    Still sad, and still in denial.  Doesn't seem real.  PJ20 will always occupy a special place in my heart.  Feel so bad for his friends and family.  Tough Day.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,073
    edited May 2017

I used to be told that when I was younger, but the older I get, the more I feel down to my genetic coding that I want to live.   I think it exists in all people.  No one wants to die and people are afraid of death.    Something has to be seriously wrong for people to be able to override that fundamental fibre of human existence.    I don't imagine for anyone/anywhere that it's a remotely easy thing to do.    I can't fathom how depressed someone must be to ignore that fasset of human existence.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,913
    edited May 2017
    Please remember the Posting Guidelines http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Thank you

Post edited by Sea on
  • sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    I can remember back in 2012 at a show Ed was talking about how he lost a good friend, Dennis from The Frogs (who I actually knew and loved, they are pretty obscure)... He was in tears on stage. We were all sobbing and I don't even think most of the crowd had even heard of The Frogs, it was just so emotional everyone lost it. I cannot even fathom the sadness Eddie and all of the PJ guys have right now. When PJ eventually talks about this I don't know that I can even take it. I've been in tears all day today and that's probably going to put me right over the edge. I'm so, so sorry for everyone that was fortunate enough to have this amazing man n their lives.
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • andyrew46andyrew46 isle of wight Posts: 62
    RK89449 said:
    I've been reading your posts all day and I still can't comprehend that he is gone.  I've been sitting here with my cursor blinking, waiting for words to come out, but they can't show how I feel today.  I, along with everyone else on here that have had their lives touched by his voice and his music, feel like we've been abandoned today.  I will selfishly listen to every of his SG, AS, TOTD and solo records and be thankful for the gifts he gave and sad that there won't be any more.

Not to be preachy, but as I sufferer myself, I know depression is a real illness and it's a very slippery slope.  Once you head down it, it's very hard to get your feet back on the ground.  Most people never look or act that they are suffering...and many will never ask for help.  Hug the people you love and let them know what they mean to your lives, because that could always be the lift that they need to overcome their troubles.

My love goes out to Matt, Ed, Stone, Jeff, Mike, Boom, Kim and Ben along with Chris' family and friends.  My love also goes out to my extended PJ 10c family.  I hope you all find peace in this sad time.

Sometimes people put up walls, not to keep others out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    Man, a full day at work with all these emotions in my head has been brutal.  Trying to understand how he could have felt so bad, given all the things he's overcome in his life, it just feels unreal.  Obviously my heart goes out to his poor wife and children, bandmates and friends, but I'm gonna hold my hands up and say my gut feeling, as a fan, is almost a sense of abandonment.  Since I discovered his music back in '94, it has been a constant source of comfort through dark times.  His words and voice on TOTD in particular really helped me out.  The selfish part of me is probably most devastated because I know these songs will never hold the same meaning, given the way he died.
  • tkepearljamntkepearljamn Posts: 581
    edited May 2017
    Sea said:
    Please remember the Posting Guidelines http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Thank you

Thinking of you in Seattle and around the world with the band.  Our hearts are with you. 
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • andyrew46andyrew46 isle of wight Posts: 62
    Perfect!
    Thanks for putting into words what I can't at the moment! 
    Soundgarden has been on my Turntable all evening... Gutted! 
    Sometimes people put up walls, not to keep others out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,770
    MO195132 said:
    man...we were all supposed to grow old with Chris Cornell, he's one of the guys we'd go watch play and love until we're 80 years old.
    Yes. That's how it should have been. He would have rocked his 70s
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    Dave Mustaine/Megadeth pay their respect
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhqMVNlPHE8
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • kalusskaluss Posts: 38
    Until I hear the results of the autopsy, I just cannot process that we would lose Chris Cornell under the circumstances that are being suggested by some.  The last time I saw him (a)live was at the Tower near Philly and he sounded strong, healthy, positive, vibrant....loved. Cornell was the guy that linked PJ to Soundgarden to Mother Love Bone.  Rest in Power.  1964-forever.  
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    edited May 2017
    Terrible news. Everyone in the PJ/Soundgarden families is in my thoughts.
    Post edited by FinsburyParkCarrots on
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    I just want to give everyone I know a hug... 

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 362
    edited May 2017
    My wife broke the news to me on the way into work. I nearly got into an accident. I asked her if it was some kind of cruel joke unfortunately it wasn't. I have recently gotten into vinyl and to my surprise I come home to Badmotorfinger Superunknown Euphoria Morning and Higher Truth LP's all waiting for me on the dinner table. Hug your loved ones because we are never promised tomorrow. 
    Post edited by CPR7 on
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    I can't even bring myself to listen to any music at all, let alone his.  I remember back when Layne died, and Scott Weiland, TOTD was the first thing I listened to. 
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    The first and only time I have ever seen Soundgarden was the reunion at Lollapalooza 2010. That was including all the Pearl Jam and other shows I've been to,the best concert I ever attended. All the band members were firing on all cylinders. I must have taken a hundred pictures of that special night. Please watch that performance on YouTube if you haven't seen it already.My heart is broken,more so than Kurt,because I considered myself more of a Soundgarden fan than Nirvana. When Kurt died I was simply sad. But Chris's passing,I'm hurting in a totally different way. My heart and thoughts are with his friends and family. The man had fucking amazing pipes!!!,more so than Eddie. Crazy as all hell vocal range.Tomorrow will feel very different.
  • zelx77zelx77 Posts: 8
    Sat down at my desk a 9am and found out this terrible news - didn't get any work done as I was trying to process this. I feel very fortunate to have seen Chris live with SG, Audioslave as well as a couple of solo shows. Just unbelievable this has happened. Tragic loss. Reading all these messages has helped - there's a lot of love for Chris and he will live on through his amazing music and vocals.

Soundgarden - Brixton 1994, Reading Festival 1995
    Chris Cornell - Sheperd's Bush Empire, 1999, Roundhouse 2007   
    Audioslave - Brixton Academy 2003

• I saw the news early this morning and it was on my mind all day, so heartbreaking. My heart goes out to his family and friends, it's a tough loss no matter the circumstance. The TOTD music has meant so much to me in the last few years. His music and words are something I will always hold onto and I'm grateful for.
  • groovyfgroovyf Posts: 173
    I'm trying to go to sleep, but this whole thing is going round my head...
    Ah, Chris, what demons were you struggling with.
    :: Caesaria - Israel 1995, Wembley 1996, Manchester 2000, Leeds 2006, Manchester 2009, Manchester 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Leeds 2014, London 2018 ::
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,362
    steved said:
    Temple Of The Dog - PJ20 Directors Cut (unlocked now as the time is fitting )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIz3qWy8oI&t=610s

I've never seen this. This is amazing. I'm absolutely balling. 
  • EnzedEnzed NZ Posts: 479
    Fuck, man

Soundgarden 1994
    Soundgarden 1997
    Audioslave 2003
    Chris solo 2011
    Soundgarden 2012
    Soundgarden 2015
    Chris solo 2015

Seeing Chris was ALWAYS a highlight.  My favourite singer, equal to the great Freddie Mercury.

Everything is numb.
    Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014