Options

Pearl Jam and Oasis share a lot of song titles

Better Man, Force of Nature, Supersonic. 

A bit funny.

In before "Oasis sucks"-posts. 
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    Liam is a man child. I follow him on twitter just to see his constant attacks on his brother, calling him a potato. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Noel's solo records with the High Flying Birds have been really solid. I think there's actually a new one coming out in June, actually. 
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    That's weird. I heard some Goo Goo Dolls song on the radio earlier and it sounded just like the Oasis "gem" Don't Go Away. So that song's been stuck in my head all day. And it is awful. Lyrics sound like they were written by an 8 year old girl. "So don't go away, say that you'll stay, forever and a day, in the time of my life, cause I need more time, I need more time just to make things right." I left out something that rhymes with "way" in there but that's all I remember. Awful song. 

I do really like their album with Some Might Say.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    Those first 3 oasis albums and their b-sides slayed. Pretty spotty after that, but still a great band. 

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    three is a lot?  ok
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    Noel's solo records with the High Flying Birds have been really solid. I think there's actually a new one coming out in June, actually. 
    Last I heard (which was in April), Noel said that he was aiming for a November release. Liam's solo (not expecting much, but interested to hear it) was slated to come out soon, but now it's just "later this year" too.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    They had some great tunes.  And they had some danger to them.  They were never boring or safe so thats good.  A lot of mega-huge bands are. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    One of my all time favorite bands. Watched the documentary on them. You know, living in a home with domestic violence, where one kid is getting the shit beat out of him will cause some issues. Brilliant and tortured. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Pearl Jam easily wins the "Better Man" battle.
    Oasis easily wins the "Supersonic" battle. 
    Not too sure about the "Force of Nature" battle.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Those first 3 oasis albums and their b-sides slayed. Pretty spotty after that, but still a great band. 

Agree with you 100%. You can make a pretty solid album of about 10 songs using there post-nineties albums. Something like:

Go Let It Out
    Gas Panic!
    Hindu Times
    Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    Little By Little 
    Lyla
    Importance of Being Idle
    Shock of the Lightning

well, that's eight plus there are other great ones but they are a bit more of an acquired taste.

• Options
    Try going through U2's catalog and you'll see a lot of shared titles (or similar ones, anyway) with Pearl Jam:
    Gone vs. Gone
    Smile vs. Smile
    The Ocean vs. Oceans
    Breathe vs. Breath (or Just Breathe)
    One vs. Once
    Exit vs. Last Exit

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,472
    I can't wait for the shitstorm that is sure to come when they make the hall of fame.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I can't wait for the shitstorm that is sure to come when they make the hall of fame.
    You think so? I think they'd be way way down the list.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,951
    three is a lot?  ok
    In relation to most artists I've come across, yes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,951

November! 

But yes. He's a really good song writer. Enjoy his solo albums alot. 
  • Options
    I think they deserve to get in. They made some kick ass music. Unfortunately, they weren't as popular in NA as they were in the UK so that might hurt their chances. However, whether you like them or not, their overall popularity followed a relatively similar trajectory as Pearl Jam's. I'm not saying the attitudes of the Gallagher Bros are anything like the PJ members. I'm just talking records sales, radio play, etc.
  • Options

November! 

But yes. He's a really good song writer. Enjoy his solo albums alot. 
    I've seen NG twice and both were very good shows (and not just when he played the old Oasis hits). Although I'd love to attended a reunion tour, Noel has no need for it. Liam, however...
  • Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 726
    You think so? I think they'd be way way down the list.

Oasis sold more records than the Beatles. They are/were huge everywhere but here. Liam is a rockstar and Noel just kills it. From Definitely to Don't Believe the Truth, i'm never disappointed, especially live.
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,855
    Champagne supernova is one of my all time favorite songs.  Oasis is pretty solid live. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    My wife and I were in Paris at Rock en Seine on the night of their backstage fight. We initially thought it was "french humour"...the screens went blue just before they were about to come on, and the message read in French something along the lines of "Oasis will not be performing tonight." We were dumbstruck, just hoping they'd come out, but When they trotted out the old ska band Madness (who had played earlier that day on a different stage) we were absolutely gutted. Even then, we just figured it was one of their infamous spats, and that they'd make up a day or two later to finish off their tour dates in Italy. We had no idea it would be the end (hopefully it isn't).

In the days leading up to that festival, we were fortunate to attend what would be their second last show. It was at the tiny, historic, Bridlington Spa. A venue right on the ocean of the Yorkshire coast. The venue only held 3,800 people, and we were on the rail for the whole show! After seeing them many times in big venues, it was really incredible to be so close to the band in such a small venue. Based on their performance that night, nothing would have lead us to suspect that just a few days later they'd blow up like that.

Despite the awful circumstances that transpired in Paris, that trip as a whole was absolutely incredible! It was our first time in the UK and Europe. We started in Scotland, toured around Glasgow and Edinburgh before taking the train down to Manchester to see Peal Jam. It was my first time seeing PJ in many years (due to school, lack of finances, etc) and they were just incredible, opened with Long Road which was really fitting. From there we drove to Bridlington for Oasis, then flew out of Manchester to Prague to see Radiohead, on to Paris, and then back to the UK to see Radiohead headline the Reading festival. 

We always said that if Oasis played a small club in England, and if we were lucky enough to get tickets, we'd make the trip. The tickets went on sale at 2am our time, and when we lucked out, it was on! After getting the tickets, we were so excited to learn that all of our top 3 favourite bands were playing in and around the UK/Europe at that same time. It seemed like fate.

Anyways, sorry for such a long ramble, but I guess I'm just getting nostalgic as my wife and I are expecting our first child in a few weeks, so there won't be many more opportunities to travel in the foreseeable future. At least we'll have those memories from the summer of 2009!

Hope you all got to see Oasis in their heyday, they really embodied the spirit of rock n roll, and I would hope they too get into the Hall of Fame when they're eligible in 2019.

Cheers all,
    Matt
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    mwplum said:
    My wife and I were in Paris at Rock en Seine on the night of their backstage fight. We initially thought it was "french humour"...the screens went blue just before they were about to come on, and the message read in French something along the lines of "Oasis will not be performing tonight." We were dumbstruck, just hoping they'd come out, but When they trotted out the old ska band Madness (who had played earlier that day on a different stage) we were absolutely gutted. Even then, we just figured it was one of their infamous spats, and that they'd make up a day or two later to finish off their tour dates in Italy. We had no idea it would be the end (hopefully it isn't).

In the days leading up to that festival, we were fortunate to attend what would be their second last show. It was at the tiny, historic, Bridlington Spa. A venue right on the ocean of the Yorkshire coast. The venue only held 3,800 people, and we were on the rail for the whole show! After seeing them many times in big venues, it was really incredible to be so close to the band in such a small venue. Based on their performance that night, nothing would have lead us to suspect that just a few days later they'd blow up like that.

Despite the awful circumstances that transpired in Paris, that trip as a whole was absolutely incredible! It was our first time in the UK and Europe. We started in Scotland, toured around Glasgow and Edinburgh before taking the train down to Manchester to see Peal Jam. It was my first time seeing PJ in many years (due to school, lack of finances, etc) and they were just incredible, opened with Long Road which was really fitting. From there we drove to Bridlington for Oasis, then flew out of Manchester to Prague to see Radiohead, on to Paris, and then back to the UK to see Radiohead headline the Reading festival. 

We always said that if Oasis played a small club in England, and if we were lucky enough to get tickets, we'd make the trip. The tickets went on sale at 2am our time, and when we lucked out, it was on! After getting the tickets, we were so excited to learn that all of our top 3 favourite bands were playing in and around the UK/Europe at that same time. It seemed like fate.

Anyways, sorry for such a long ramble, but I guess I'm just getting nostalgic as my wife and I are expecting our first child in a few weeks, so there won't be many more opportunities to travel in the foreseeable future. At least we'll have those memories from the summer of 2009!

Hope you all got to see Oasis in their heyday, they really embodied the spirit of rock n roll, and I would hope they too get into the Hall of Fame when they're eligible in 2019.

Cheers all,
    Matt
    You saw Pearl Jam, Oasis, and Radiohead in one trip!?!?!?! Wow! The three of them (along with U2) are my personal "Mount Rushmore" of all-time favourite bands.
    BTW: Every music fan should be able to recite their own Mount Rushmore of favourite bands.

And speaking of the Hall of Fame, hopefully my favourites will continue to get inducted:
    2017 - Pearl Jam
    2018 - Radiohead
    2019 - Oasis
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Champagne supernova is one of my all time favorite songs.  Oasis is pretty solid live. 
    Pearl Jam concerts are the best (great musicianship; surprise setlists; no bells and whistles) but I gotta say Oasis shows were always pretty fun.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    mwplum said:

Cheers all,
    Matt
    Yo Matt, that's no ramble, that's a great story! Honestly, if I'd seen those three bands in the course of a week...my head would explode. Two of my favorites (eV and Ryan Adams) are playing back to back later this year and I might jump off a bridge when it's done!
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    yeah but oasis are shit
    danny d
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I love Oasis. They were a breath of fresh air when they hit in the mid '90's. I also got into Noel's High Flying Birds project and Beady Eye. The reissues of the first 3 records are pretty awesome to have as well.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 585
    And sadly, PJ is only slightly more productive with new material these days.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    wnh1977 said:
    And sadly, PJ is only slightly more productive with new material these days.
    Quite true. The last Oasis album was released in 2008 (nine years ago). PJ released BS a year later and then only one since. 

Noel Gallagher has released two solid albums since 2011.
  • Options
    RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    rummy said:
    I think they deserve to get in. They made some kick ass music. Unfortunately, they weren't as popular in NA as they were in the UK so that might hurt their chances. However, whether you like them or not, their overall popularity followed a relatively similar trajectory as Pearl Jam's. I'm not saying the attitudes of the Gallagher Bros are anything like the PJ members. I'm just talking records sales, radio play, etc.
    It's difficult to compare because it's two different countries. I can't account for US, but UK wise PJ are non existent radio wise particularly commercial (thankfully), they catch airtime on rock stations. But Oasis are homebred, they're pretty out there, they were part of that mod cult with Stone Roses, Who, Paul Weller and that indie implosion. Grunge/Alternative scene never set here, whereas all that Blur stuff is still cascading the stations to this very day! A bit like the 90s American scene is over there if I'm right in thinking?
  • Options
    RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    rummy said:

But agree that it will hurt there hall chances, even if it is unfair I'm not really complaining, didn't like them anyway!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    three is a lot?  ok
    In relation to most artists I've come across, yes.
    i guess they probably have the most same song titles. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly