Options

Social media

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I love social media. I love following knitting stores, runners, and cafes on Instagram; I love staying in touch with friends and family on Facebook (and watching baby elephant videos); I love following news feeds of journalists and cultural campaigns on Twitter; I love watching knitting videos or videos of late night shows on YouTube; I look up people I will interview with on LinkedIn, which also has job postings; and I'm a member of this board and Ravelry. I read articles referenced on social media sites, but I rarely go directly to a blog. I have blogs, but I use them as historical references to where I have been.

When I post about where I drink coffee I consider it free advertising for the cafe, and I feel like I'm contributing to something greater than myself. When I post during the Orioles games it is to show support for my team and to be a part of the virtual Camden Yards.

In the 90s I wished there was a way for me to pair my words with my photography. Social media is a dream come true.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Me: I think I'll delete my social media presence. It's distracting me from my work
    My wife: Don't be silly. How will you get your Doug the Pug fix every day?
    Me: True dat. (Keeps social media)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    seems like some  misunderstood me..isnt the issue if are good or bad..
    thing got me thinking is lthat people seems to ive via them..like what matters is what u post..so u post everything to make eveerything matters..cos if u dont is like those things doesnt exist...the matters isnt if are good or like em,,i like em,,i use them too..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    thing got me thinking is lthat people seems to ive via them..like what matters is what u post..so u post everything to make eveerything matters..cos if u dont is like those things doesnt exist...the matters isnt if are good or like em,,i like em,,i use them too..
    I think it's hard to say what is really motivating people to post. if they post every detail of their day, that might be a bit of a narcissism issue. 99% of the world don't give a shit what others are doing most of their day. and if people think it doesn't matter unless it's posted on social media, that's a bit of a problem. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    I think it's hard to say what is really motivating people to post. if they post every detail of their day, that might be a bit of a narcissism issue. 99% of the world don't give a shit what others are doing most of their day. and if people think it doesn't matter unless it's posted on social media, that's a bit of a problem. 
    i hear yeah,.,but i disagreeabout 99%..people loves to look in other peoples life and what they doing,,and gossip of course and have opinion about others peoples life
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    i hear yeah,.,but i disagreeabout 99%..people loves to look in other peoples life and what they doing,,and gossip of course and have opinion about others peoples life
    yeah, i guess I can only speak for myself. as a former-facebook-addict-now-moderate-user I can attest to the fact I rarely, if ever, look on anyone's page. I stick to my news feed, and even then I don't get through it all. too much shit. especially george takai. I need to unfollow that guy. so many posts. 

most of the people I'm friends with on there no longer post inane things like their dinner choices though, either, which is a relief. or did I just unfollow them? don't know. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
    yeah, i guess I can only speak for myself. as a former-facebook-addict-now-moderate-user I can attest to the fact I rarely, if ever, look on anyone's page. I stick to my news feed, and even then I don't get through it all. too much shit. especially george takai. I need to unfollow that guy. so many posts. 

most of the people I'm friends with on there no longer post inane things like their dinner choices though, either, which is a relief. or did I just unfollow them? don't know. 
    Mr. Takai does indeed post a LOT of stuff!  The thing is, for me, sometimes what he says is right on and I like it.  I'll glance at his post and if looks worth reading I read it and if it looks uninteresting, I just move on.  Which is pretty much how I use FB, a lot of skimming with occasional slow-down-and-reads. 

One thing I don't like is that FB keeps resetting my news feed to "Top Stories" instead of, "Most recent".  I'll decide what is most important, thank you very much cyber-entity!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
    Here's a question that came to mind while reading all this:  How much different do you see social media is from sites like with forums like AET?  I see a lot of similarities between FB and these forums or others (I'm thinking the Hoffman TV forum a few of us here are on).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Social media can be positive.  I do like to stay 'connected' to people in my past, if for nothing else, but to keep tabs on them.  It is great for organizing activities and keeping up to date with local happenings and my town's politics have become active on facebook.  I only really do facebook and message boards.  I have a twitter account and never use it.  

I only really post every blue moon on facebook.  I mainly use it to observe.  There are certainly many people who have 'wired' in their lives with it.  A lot of these people, I find as entertainment.  

I find myself using message boards too much though and I always want to reduce my participation.  
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    edited May 2017
    They ARE the same, just one set  is completely fluid, and the other set, is post and refresh. If we didn't have to refresh pages to see new posts, this site becomes a completely different format. I forget the term for it, but it is highly mis-functional, and thus didn't survive too well as communication formats evolved. 

Social media, is just what it's name implies.. it is a form of communication via media.. media is an application adverb in a sense. It describes a format being used to communicate, that allows for no subliminal information to be shared or conveyed. Hence the need for emoticons/now emojis in this form of communication.In behavior studies, we call this dead communication. The liquid volatility factor is always in play, because we are missing 70% of our information context!!  So the telephone is not considered social media because inflection and connotations apply.  Subliminal information is still being shared vocally. 
    Social media is a very inefficient way to communicate. It is effective for ramblings, and poetry, fiction, etc.. but it translates so differently from reader to reader, that it creates that LVF, making it a volatile and unstable form of communication. 
    But in reality, they are simlly two different forms of Social Media.. just one is much slower, and thus allows for time to consider your response, unlike FB, where we just shoot off at the fingers reactively versus intelligibly. 
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    Here's a question that came to mind while reading all this:  How much different do you see social media is from sites like with forums like AET?  I see a lot of similarities between FB and these forums or others (I'm thinking the Hoffman TV forum a few of us here are on).
    I don't know the Hoffman forum mentioned, but I see FB as being much more public than this site...which is why I prefer this site.  I don't have much to hide but prefer to share the personal with some, not everyone I know.  Sure there are parallels in sharing the positive, the negative, the inane, the painful depths and the beautiful risings...but aside from someone putting an "@" before a username, there isn't tagging and the like here.  Maybe more selectiveness in choosing to put out certain information?

Plus it seems like too much damn work to keep up with!

***Tree, I just read your comment before posting.  I wonder if the nature of FB and character-limited Twitter play a part in that inefficiency?  Just to WRITE.  Honestly, openly, no limits.  That's how my guy and I met and got to know each other, how I've come to make some beloved friends in this realm...which, I guess, is on a par with your last line :)
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Mr. Takai does indeed post a LOT of stuff!  The thing is, for me, sometimes what he says is right on and I like it.  I'll glance at his post and if looks worth reading I read it and if it looks uninteresting, I just move on.  Which is pretty much how I use FB, a lot of skimming with occasional slow-down-and-reads. 

One thing I don't like is that FB keeps resetting my news feed to "Top Stories" instead of, "Most recent".  I'll decide what is most important, thank you very much cyber-entity!
    I've been waiting for them to change that setting so I only have to change it ONCE. it's annoying. I don't give a shit how many comments a friend got on her dinner idea! I want what's current! 

yeah, George has a lot of good to say. Maybe the problem is I also follow his husband Brad, and a lot of it is duplicated. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    They ARE the same, just one set  is completely fluid, and the other set, is post and refresh. If we didn't have to refresh pages to see new posts, this site becomes a completely different format. I forget the term for it, but it is highly mis-functional, and thus didn't survive too well as communication formats evolved. 

Social media, is just what it's name implies.. it is a form of communication via media.. media is an application adverb in a sense. It describes a format being used to communicate, that allows for no subliminal information to be shared or conveyed. Hence the need for emoticons/now emojis in this form of communication.In behavior studies, we call this dead communication. The liquid volatility factor is always in play, because we are missing 70% of our information context!!  So the telephone is not considered social media because inflection and connotations apply.  Subliminal information is still being shared vocally. 
    Social media is a very inefficient way to communicate. It is effective for ramblings, and poetry, fiction, etc.. but it translates so differently from reader to reader, that it creates that LVF, making it a volatile and unstable form of communication. 
    But in reality, they are simlly two different forms of Social Media.. just one is much slower, and thus allows for time to consider your response, unlike FB, where we just shoot off at the fingers reactively versus intelligibly. 
    yes, I have actually lost at least one friend because of the immediacy and volatility of facebook posts. She and I both have daughters, and she posted some fear-based article about college campus rape. I read it, commented that our girls will be fine as long we as we teach them well (I understand obviously that's not all of it), and she turned around and snapped that if I honestly thought that, that I was a terrible parent, and went so far as to accuse me of being part of the rape culture problem. I was just trying to be positive, and she took it as an attack. I stepped away, and deleted her. And blocked her. it just made me too angry how I was personally attacked like that. had we been speaking in person or on the phone, I can nearly guarantee it would not have escalated to that point. 

so I do my best now not to comment on people's posts where they are obviously looking for some type of political validation or a reaction/argument.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com