Social media

dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
m at work.saw a photo at twitter ..a girl in moscow metro...was in the train with her .crow...and went viral..

anyway..then.open my facebook...
i read a couple of minutes...and read people post about everything...all their day and whats going on in their life..and got me thinking..
yeah..all have their acounts,..can post what ever they want..but seems to me..almost all..live thier lives VIA social media..
i mean..if u dont post your new shoes..or where and what u eat last night..if u dont post photos of sunday walk with your family to the neriest park ,is like all this DID NOT HAPPENED!!
I think,that all goes to far now..if u dont post what u do all day,,is like you dont exist..!!
instead to call your best friend to talk about something u have in your mind..u just post it on yopur wall or to a page and u talk with any random person might answer..
its not judgemental or bothers me...people can doi what ever they want..but..its crazy the thought..that if u dont post it..is like what ever u do ....never happened!!
if u post it..its like a mark..people can see u..can pay attention to your life....
thoughts??

i know our life and ways of communication is away faster and better now with social media..but fuck..it doesnt mean we have to lose our privacy and some things we do ONLY for us..
some things we do,DOES matter even our social media circle dont know about them..

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

Comments

• SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    I gave it all up years ago. Dangerous shit if you ask me.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

m at work.saw a photo at twitter ..a girl in moscow metro...was in the train with her .crow...and went viral..

anyway..then.open my facebook...
    i read a couple of minutes...and read people post about everything...all their day and whats going on in their life..and got me thinking..
    yeah..all have their acounts,..can post what ever they want..but seems to me..almost all..live thier lives VIA social media..
    i mean..if u dont post your new shoes..or where and what u eat last night..if u dont post photos of sunday walk with your family to the neriest park ,is like all this DID NOT HAPPENED!!
    I think,that all goes to far now..if u dont post what u do all day,,is like you dont exist..!!
    instead to call your best friend to talk about something u have in your mind..u just post it on yopur wall or to a page and u talk with any random person might answer..
    its not judgemental or bothers me...people can doi what ever they want..but..its crazy the thought..that if u dont post it..is like what ever u do ....never happened!!
    if u post it..its like a mark..people can see u..can pay attention to your life....
    thoughts??

i know our life and ways of communication is away faster and better now with social media..but fuck..it doesnt mean we have to lose our privacy and some things we do ONLY for us..
    some things we do,DOES matter even our social media circle dont know about them..

Very good revelation here dimitris. This is a perfect reflection of this phenomenon. I left FB, not because of this but because I felt I too was putting too much credence in how my page looked ( who answered what, liked what, or posted what) at any given point in the day. I have a really hard time socializing in RL, and I was literally relying on FB to fulfill that need.
    The other half of this phenomenon is what I was experiencing.. my validation as a person, friend, etc. was made or or broken by what happened on FB. When one of my former colleagues pointed this out.. I was so gravely disappointed in myself, for getting sucked in. I finally deleted all social media, save for this site, and IG. I now make a greater conscious effort to keep myself to myself.. i suck at it sometimes.. but to be honest, I am happier without all of it.
    MUCH happier. Very unique phenomenon indeed...
    edited May 2017
    Ps. In my Research at this point I have had to [FINALLY] add people and THEIR forms of communication catalysts.. and this phenomenon is called Social Strategy. ..my phenomenon is called Social Refactoring. The effect that these two phenomena ( which are relative, and yet different), and a few others never realized before the invention of social media cause, is called Liquid Volatility. That is an interesting term, so I looked it up.
    Liquid Volatility is where a person's perception is influenced by an ever changing environment.. ( there is a LOT) more to it than that, but that is the basic interpretation of it. I have found this very interesting..
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Never signed up for one social media account, never understood it. If I wanted to talk to people from my past I would have kept in contact somehow. I have to literally take the phone out of my wifes hand and throw it down sometimes.
    NYPJ
    edited May 2017
    wall232 said:

Never signed up for one social media account, never understood it. If I wanted to talk to people from my past I would have kept in contact somehow. I have to literally take the phone out of my wifes hand and throw it down sometimes.

This IS the original form of Social media.. ( BBS pages), so we all have.. I have no idea how old you are, but without THIS format, we would have never had FB.. FB was MZ finding a way to make concrete info, fluid. He added components of IRC code, and these codes.. genius.. especially for that time.. I wonder often if AGB knew what his invention was going to become.. would he still have invented the telephone??
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    And yet again...I go to the Grievance lyric: "Progress laced with ramifications". Some good has come from realms like Facebook but it also serves as a form of public masturbation...ego-stroking. Like much else in life, it's what one makes of it, how much detail one chooses to share or take in.

This is the only site on which I post, as I appreciate the overall anonymity and, ironically, sense of intimacy.

(as to crow-chick up there, I find it odder that someone would just take her photo, vs. her being on the train with a fucking bird to begin with)

wall232 said:

This IS the original form of Social media.. ( BBS pages), so we all have.. I have no idea how old you are, but without THIS format, we would have never had FB.. FB was MZ finding a way to make concrete info, fluid. He added components of IRC code, and these codes.. genius.. especially for that time.. I wonder often if AGB knew what his invention was going to become.. would he still have invented the telephone??
    You're correct about this being a form of social media, so I have 2, here and AVS forums. People have tried to get me to join FB so I can reconnect with old friends. My thinking has always been if i consider you a friend then we have some way of communicating, if i didn’t then why bother?
    NYPJ
  • PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    I gave up facebook and twitter and tumblr... I just was so sick of it. The stupidness of it all how everyone has to share every thought they have with everyone. I only kept instagram because I am a photographer and artist by nature and it allows me to share my creative side.

Its been about 3 months... I don't even miss it.
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    How long before social media will be an implant connected to the brain and turned on (and maybe off) with a thought? Not sci fi! I've read some very sober articles about this shit. Uh uh, no THANK YOU!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Check out the show "Black Mirror" on netflix if you haven't already. It's all about the absurdities of modern technology and how they compromise most of us in modern day society. It's a really great show that applies to real life.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596

Check out the show "Black Mirror" on netflix if you haven't already. It's all about the absurdities of modern technology and how they compromise most of us in modern day society. It's a really great show that applies to real life.

Will check it out, thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    A troubling thing that I've taken note of over the past 10 years or so is how it has almost become detrimental to one's career trajectory if one is not active on social media.

I mean if a potential employer cannot find you on LinkedIn or Facebook, then you must be some sort of anti-social miscreant--and no one wants that type of person funking up the happy office.

In my field, being savvy with social media is actually a desired skill for many entry-level positions, and it's a requirement as one climbs the ladder.
    I SAW PEARL JAM

I'd skip the first episode though...it's terrible. Each episode features new characters and has nothing to do with the previous episodes just like The Twilight Zone.
    Central Park 15

• helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    she dressed in all black with black boots and pet black crow
    that's hot
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    It's great advertising and networking for small businesses and local events.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Very much so.. but as a form of interaction.. no thanks. I can find anyone I want if I want. The rest i don't. miss at all.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    wall232 said:
    for me it was originally about that, and I get what you mean, a buddy made the exact same point, but now it has very little to do with my "friends" and is more a one stop shop for news I subscribe to. instead of going to 8 different websites to get band updates, I get it all in my newsfeed. I hide all the bullshit I don't need (pictures of someone's cat reading, or their meals, or whatever), consume what I want and throw the rest away. 

facebook has come a long way in giving the user the ability to see what they want, and hide what they don't. you no longer have to unfriend someone. just unfollow, and their BS "new shoes" posts don't show up in your feed. 

the only problem is, with them seeing the potential on the financial side, the ads you see aren't just on the sidebar, they are in the newsfeed, which I find very annoying. partly why I spend more time on Twitter. most bands/websites post the same updates on both, and I don't get the advertisements. and people's rants are limited to 140 characters. LOL. If I see "1/8" next to a tweet, scroll on! 

I got a Faceversary video from facebook today. 10 fucking years of wasting my time. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

wall232 said:
    You're correct about this being a form of social media, so I have 2, here and AVS forums. People have tried to get me to join FB so I can reconnect with old friends. My thinking has always been if i consider you a friend then we have some way of communicating, if i didn’t then why bother?
    for the most part, as I said above, you are absolutely correct. with a few minor exceptions, most of the people I've reconnected with I've either disconnected with or just don't bother with at all. there is one or maybe two. but one thing that it is useful for, friends-wise, is you can quickly connect with people that you are still friends with but don't normally see daily. you can see pictures of their kids or things they are doing; it sounds corny, but there is a feeling of connection there when you can share that stuff without flying to their house 2000 km's away. 

facebook of today is the boring-fucking-slideshow-gathering of the 80's. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    yes, but it kind of creeps me out when I get a notification of "friends that are near you". makes me want to go hide in a closet. why do people let themselves be found by facebook? I don't have a mobile phone, so that I don't get. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    I happen to like Facebook... it helped me reconnect with old friends that I've lost touch with over the years. We didn't have cell phones back then so if I moved and my friends moved, we lost contact.  It's nice to be able to say hello to an old friend, neighbor, teacher, etc.  I especially like it because it gives me the chance to thank those people in my life that made a difference and I was too young or stupid at the time to fully see it. I think it's important to let people know these things and Facebook gave me that opportunity.
    I also like Facebook because people fascinate me and this is like a window into their souls. I know most people are fake, but their posts are still revealing. People's posts don't necessarily sway my friendship but it's good to know who's political, religious, etc, so I can be mindful and respectful of that when I do see them (or stay away, as the case may be). Yes, the "this is what I ate today" posts are a bit much, but that says something too. I don't post much myself, I tried, and found it too much of a chore (mostly of having to censor myself). And I only do 10c and Facebook, both of which can be huge time sucks, but that's my fault. It is great reading for sleepless nights or sitting in waiting rooms.
    In conclusion, I like social media because you bastards are funny and how else would I know that? :smiley:
    I happen to like Facebook... it helped me reconnect with old friends that I've lost touch with over the years. We didn't have cell phones back then so if I moved and my friends moved, we lost contact.  It's nice to be able to say hello to an old friend, neighbor, teacher, etc.  I especially like it because it gives me the chance to thank those people in my life that made a difference and I was too young or stupid at the time to fully see it. I think it's important to let people know these things and Facebook gave me that opportunity.
    I also like Facebook because people fascinate me and this is like a window into their souls. I know most people are fake, but their posts are still revealing. People's posts don't necessarily sway my friendship but it's good to know who's political, religious, etc, so I can be mindful and respectful of that when I do see them (or stay away, as the case may be). Yes, the "this is what I ate today" posts are a bit much, but that says something too. I don't post much myself, I tried, and found it too much of a chore (mostly of having to censor myself). And I only do 10c and Facebook, both of which can be huge time sucks, but that's my fault. It is great reading for sleepless nights or sitting in waiting rooms.
    In conclusion, I like social media because you bastards are funny and how else would I know that? :smiley:
    :hug: love you! 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    dankind said:
    A troubling thing that I've taken note of over the past 10 years or so is how it has almost become detrimental to one's career trajectory if one is not active on social media. I mean if a potential employer cannot find you on LinkedIn or Facebook, then you must be some sort of anti-social miscreant--and no one wants that type of person funking up the happy office. In my field, being savvy with social media is actually a desired skill for many entry-level positions, and it's a requirement as one climbs the ladder.

but, you ARE an anti-social miscreant!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    rgambs said:
    yes, but it kind of creeps me out when I get a notification of "friends that are near you". makes me want to go hide in a closet. why do people let themselves be found by facebook? I don't have a mobile phone, so that I don't get. 
    But your friends might. On a PC FB reads your ISP info for location.. beyond creepy to me too.
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    :hug: love you! 
    Right back atcha girl!  :hug:

I must admit that at times I do appreciate that my wife is on FB. She keeps me up to date with what's going on with family and friends and it's pretty awesome to see pics of my friends and their kids that I don't see much.  I've almost joined a few times over the years but just haven't pulled the trigger, 
    NYPJ
    So, my stepmom, joined FB for the first time ever, last week. She has avoided it all these years. She lasted a week! :rofl: This morning she told us she deleted it, citing unnecessary drama, the ludicrously narcissistic 'live' feeds, and it being a time suck.. you're better off without it Mom! :lol:
    So, my stepmom, joined FB for the first time ever, last week. She has avoided it all these years. She lasted a week! :rofl: This morning she told us she deleted it, citing unnecessary drama, the ludicrously narcissistic 'live' feeds, and it being a time suck.. you're better off without it Mom! :lol:
    She's a smart woman ;)
    Central Park 15

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I have never  been on any social media and don't  miss it at all.

What's really disconcerting about social media and cell phones is when you go out to a bar or restaurant or brewery and see couples, families, and groups of friends and they ALL have their noses buried in their phones rather than interacting with each other.
     SAD!
    I have never  been on any social media and don't  miss it at all.

What's really disconcerting about social media and cell phones is when you go out to a bar or restaurant or brewery and see couples, families, and groups of friends and they ALL have their noses buried in their phones rather than interacting with each other.
     SAD!
    one thing I've come to realize, is that today's facebook is yesterday's newspapers, or toys, or Walkmans, whathaveyou. people bury themselves in whatever it is they have available. 

that being said, we often get annoyed at my brother for constantly checking his phone because he gets emails from work at all hours, weekends, holidays, etc. so it's irritating when the family is together and this grown-ass man is constantly staring at his phone. but professional availability is a whole other ball of wax. it's coming to the point where if you don't turn your phone off, you are basically working 18 hours a day. SHUT OFF!!!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

wall232 said:

I must admit that at times I do appreciate that my wife is on FB. She keeps me up to date with what's going on with family and friends and it's pretty awesome to see pics of my friends and their kids that I don't see much.  I've almost joined a few times over the years but just haven't pulled the trigger, 
    what's really hilarious about this, and thanks for admitting this, is that a friend of mine has always mocked everyone of us for being on facebook, saying the same thing "you lost contact with those people for a reason". but his wife is on it. and we found out recently he spends more time on her facebook creeping on everyone else than she does. 

if she wasn't on it, I guarantee you he'd have his own profile. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD