Taking Offense - Has It Gone Off The Rails?

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    edited April 2017
    unsung said:

unsung said:

I have heard many new terms this past year.

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

Those two are the most ridiculous.

The worst one I heard was white genocide.
    I think you meant white guilt.
    White guilt is another bogus one that righties use to deny racism.
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    jeffbr said:

The problem is that the left is too pc and the right is too extremist pic. You can be pic without being a Nazi fascist alt right punk and be a civilized person without being a humorless whiny baby. I prefer my anti alt right in the mold of old school r rated humor like Carlin, not today's neolibs.

Agreed!

And universities, once the bastion of free speech and the exploration and free exchange of ideas, have now turned into hyper-sensitive institutions that suppress speech and focus on ensuring that nobody is exposed to anything that may slightly offend even the most sensitive millennial college student. Micro aggressions and triggers everywhere! Professors being reprimanded for challenging ideas, speakers uninvited if anyone makes noise. Idiot college students will unfortunately remain idiots if they are not able to deal with counter-opinions. I'm not sure how they'll even survive the real world outside of the emotional safe space they attempt to create on campus.
    That isn't my experience, having worked at a university for 15+ years (and having attended one too). At least at my university, free speech and the exploration and free exchange of ideas is still a priority. Yes, it's careful about actual sexual harassment issues and stuff like that, but is very conscientious about making sure that nobody's freedom of expression is impinged upon. It does not do anything that is hypersensitive and does not suppress speech. Not ever. If anyone tries to, the university specifically takes a stand against that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    jeffbr said:

The problem is that the left is too pc and the right is too extremist pic. You can be pic without being a Nazi fascist alt right punk and be a civilized person without being a humorless whiny baby. I prefer my anti alt right in the mold of old school r rated humor like Carlin, not today's neolibs.

Agreed!

And universities, once the bastion of free speech and the exploration and free exchange of ideas, have now turned into hyper-sensitive institutions that suppress speech and focus on ensuring that nobody is exposed to anything that may slightly offend even the most sensitive millennial college student. Micro aggressions and triggers everywhere! Professors being reprimanded for challenging ideas, speakers uninvited if anyone makes noise. Idiot college students will unfortunately remain idiots if they are not able to deal with counter-opinions. I'm not sure how they'll even survive the real world outside of the emotional safe space they attempt to create on campus.
    Are they really that way, or are you taking anecdotal stories of events that also occurred before the internet, but you didn't hear about them? The movie that spoofed this, PCU, was made when GenXers were in college.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

White guild is another bogus one that righties use to deny racism.
    Nah, it is a term liberals use to play the victim card.
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

You're saying that liberals refer to themselves as having "white guilt" when talking about racism? Haven't seen that.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

pretty sure I've only ever heard it used (outside of published papers on the subject) by conservatives to insult liberals.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

I think you are confused.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

jeffbr said:

Agreed!

Are they really that way, or are you taking anecdotal stories of events that also occurred before the internet, but you didn't hear about them? The movie that spoofed this, PCU, was made when GenXers were in college.
    That's a valid and interesting question. I am certainly hearing about on-campus anti-speech demonstrations with more frequency these days, but perhaps that is accounted for by freer access to information.
    I do find this Guide to Colleges: Top 150 Universities in the US to be an interesting view into free speech and intellectual diversity on campus. It would be interesting to see how these rankings and numbers have changed over time, but unfortunately we only get a current snapshot.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

Agreed!

That isn't my experience, having worked at a university for 15+ years (and having attended one too). At least at my university, free speech and the exploration and free exchange of ideas is still a priority. Yes, it's careful about actual sexual harassment issues and stuff like that, but is very conscientious about making sure that nobody's freedom of expression is impinged upon. It does not do anything that is hypersensitive and does not suppress speech. Not ever. If anyone tries to, the university specifically takes a stand against that.
    That's awesome! I know my statement was a generalized observation of US universities based on stories and reports I've read. I also know that there are universities in the US that, like your university in BC, value diversity of thought and opinion. I hope to read about more schools pushing back against speech and thought suppression. Universities are precisely where ideas should be freely explored and debated without fear of reprisal.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    jeffbr said:

CM189191 said:

jeffbr said:

CM189191 said:

PBS had a good documentary on last night about whether people are allowed to joke about the Holocaust.

Pretty interesting perspective: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/last-laugh/

It's all about context. Hell, Mel Brooks played a Nazi in To Be Or Not To Be and he's Jewish!
    Mel Brooks wouldn't be able to make movies in this day and age. Between that Nazi scene, and Cleavon Little's line in Blazing Saddles, those films intentionally challenged us, made us a little uncomfortable, but also were funny as hell. But we're beyond the point where those films would be acceptable today. There would be boycotts, apologies from actors and studios, and probably even demonstrations. Oh, well. Speech was fun while it lasted.

jeffbr said:

Agreed!

American universities, you mean.
    Absolutely.
    CM189191 said:

PBS had a good documentary on last night about whether people are allowed to joke about the Holocaust.

Pretty interesting perspective: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/last-laugh/

I really encourage everyone to watch this. Mel Brooks speaks to this very topic.

He explains: Tragedy + time = comedy

People at the time took offense to jokes about racism, nazis, etc., because they were still relatively recent events.

This was totally acceptable to be funny because it had happened hundreds or years before:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZegQYgygdw
    Awesome. Thanks for the link to the documentary. I haven't watched it yet, but will try to find time this week.
    There are some really funny parts. And some very not funny parts.
    I started watching thinking it would put me to sleep and couldn't stop. Enjoy and let me know what you thought.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

You're saying that liberals refer to themselves as having "white guilt" when talking about racism? Haven't seen that.
    No, it is what liberals call those that are out being providers.
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

I forget, are those the makers or the takers?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

Now you're making less sense. They use the term to play the victim card and label the providers? Who are "the providers" anyway?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

Now you're making less sense. They use the term to play the victim card and label the providers? Who are "the providers" anyway?
    White and employed, I reckon.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    White guilt is the individual or collective guilt felt by some white people for harm resulting from racist treatment of ethnic minorities by other white people both historically and currently.

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

The opposite of consumers.

The victim card is played by the left when they label everyone not having "white privilege" a victim to whitey.

I know what I paid in taxes last year, is that my "white privilege" too? It is a complete bs term made up to justify shortfalls of other groups.

Equal rights doesn't mean equal results. Get to work and earn it.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited April 2017

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

White and employed, I reckon.
    But I thought this election was about all the uneducated white people being unemployed or underemployed?

I'm confused... but recent polls have shown most right wing voters have zero attachment/awareness/interest in concrete facts... so maybe I shouldn't be confused
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

The victim card is played by the left when they label everyone not having "white privilege" a victim to whitey.

I know what I paid in taxes last year, is that my "white privilege" too? It is a complete bs term made up to justify shortfalls of other groups.

'shortfalls of other groups'

and how do you suppose that happened? entire groups of people not being as successful? hmmm.....let's see......

they will get to work when they are given the opportunity. "wah, my ancestors had the same opportunities they have, and they didn't bitch". yeah, they also weren't victim to systematic oppression.

yes, paying more taxes is actually white privelege. you make more, you get taxed more.

that's like complaining about having to take a bigger shit because you have more to eat.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Systematic oppression has also become a hot trendy buzzword as of late. Is there any factual evidence to back it up?
    To clear up any confusion, any factual evidence of sytematic oppression today? Yes it has happened in the past, but how about today?

To clear up any confusion, any factual evidence of sytematic oppression today? Yes it has happened in the past, but how about today?

Not at all. For example, minorities are no longer disproportionately arrested and prosecuted more severely than the rest of the population. It's mostly just because they are raised in broken urban homes without fathers and are more prone to criminal lifestyle.

Racism and discrimination no longer exists? This is the best news I've heard all day.
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Micro aggressions
    Safe space

Since racism exists, that means another group benefits. That's just a statement of fact. White privilege plays out in your statement about getting to work. There's fewer barriers for white people with regard to getting a job and progressing when their at a job. Therefore it's easier for us to "earn it". Now this is where the white privilege deniers get in a huff and puff because they think I'm minimizing their hard work.

Racism and discrimination no longer exists? This is the best news I've heard all day.
    So using the word racism is factual evidence of systemic oppression? You seem to just throw out key buzz words without any thought process, then hide behind sarcasm. Very insightful.

How very ignorant. Was this a serious question? Or was it sarcasm?

So using the word racism is factual evidence of systemic oppression? You seem to just throw out key buzz words without any thought process, then hide behind sarcasm. Very insightful.
    Maybe it would help if you defined what you mean by systematic oppression then. That will help my thought process.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Yes, there is a lot of factual evidence of systematic oppression today. Just look at America's policing, criminal justice, and prison systems for that evidence.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    jeffbr said:

CM189191 said:

It's all about context. Hell, Mel Brooks played a Nazi in To Be Or Not To Be and he's Jewish!
    Mel Brooks wouldn't be able to make movies in this day and age. Between that Nazi scene, and Cleavon Little's line in Blazing Saddles, those films intentionally challenged us, made us a little uncomfortable, but also were funny as hell. But we're beyond the point where those films would be acceptable today. There would be boycotts, apologies from actors and studios, and probably even demonstrations. Oh, well. Speech was fun while it lasted.

jeffbr said:

Agreed!

Absolutely.
    You can say the N word in a historical context and have it be pg13 now. Just look at 42 and Ray. Saddles is historical so it could be pg13 today.
    jeffbr said:

CM189191 said:

jeffbr said:

Agreed!

Absolutely.
    It's because people don't understand context. Remember the outrage when Tropic Thunder came out? That movie was making fun of those who get into their roles too much to get the Oscar like Penn did, not handicapped people themselves.