Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Riot Act Round 2

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Ghost

I am baffled by how 1/2 full has enough votes to go already?!? Honestly it has all the elements of a kick ass PJ song. Meaningful, protest worthy, slightly cryptic at times lyrics, driving guitars and a bad ass solo. And that thing Eddie does with the light reflecting from his guitar is fun. Love this song it kicks the ass of cropduster all day and night. Cropduster is a nice little song don't get me wrong but 1/2 full is.... bad ass.

Agreed on it being better than Cropduster by an obvious margin.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Green Disease

I am baffled by how 1/2 full has enough votes to go already?!? Honestly it has all the elements of a kick ass PJ song. Meaningful, protest worthy, slightly cryptic at times lyrics, driving guitars and a bad ass solo. And that thing Eddie does with the light reflecting from his guitar is fun. Love this song it kicks the ass of cropduster all day and night. Cropduster is a nice little song don't get me wrong but 1/2 full is.... bad ass.

You just explained my feelings for Rival being voted off early in this post. I think all of the characteristics you listed for 1/2 Full could easily be said for Rival...except for the light thing.
    Absolutely agree about rival. It's a damn shame what's happening around here.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Cropduster

Ghost. Because Eddie should have gone over the lyrics one more time before recording. (I never knew soap... etc)

He got the right lyrics in Jacksonville!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    Cropduster

Ghost. Because Eddie should have gone over the lyrics one more time before recording. (I never knew soap... etc)

the backlash for the 'i never knew soap made you taller' lyric has always kind of baffled me. people know what a soapbox is, right? in context it's perfectly fine lyric for what it is.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    Can't Keep
    AndySlash said:

the backlash for the 'i never knew soap made you taller' lyric has always kind of baffled me. people know what a soapbox is, right? in context it's perfectly fine lyric for what it is.
    +1 - It's a great song
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    All Or None
    tbergs said:

AndySlash said:

+1 - It's a great song
    Agreed on all points. I think it's a genius lyric!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Thumbing My Way

You just explained my feelings for Rival being voted off early in this post. I think all of the characteristics you listed for 1/2 Full could easily be said for Rival...except for the light thing.
    Including voting for GD! Come on!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited April 2017
    Cropduster
    mfc2006 said:

Green Disease or God's Dice? Which one are you referring to?
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Green Disease
    mfc2006 said:

I know! It was agonizing as each vote seems to be. Now I feel like I should have gone with cropduster this round.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Cropduster
    my2hands said:

Who the hell is voting for 1/2 Full?????

Your 10c membership should be revoked!

funny but i agree haha
    bbiggs said:

Nami said:

surprised at 1/2full

Love 1/2 full. It should have zero votes. Green Disease on the other hand...
    agree
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Thumbing My Way
    rummy said:

mfc2006 said:

Green Disease or God's Dice?
    Give me Green Disease over God's Dice any day.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    edited April 2017
    1/2 Full
    Saw a few of the comments regarding 1/2 full, so I just went back and listened to it to see if I was crazy or not...

... nope, I'm not crazy. Not that great of a song, and definitely the weakest link remaining to me
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    Thumbing My Way

Saw a few of the comments regarding 1/2 full, so I just went back and listened to it to see if I was crazy or not...

... nope, I'm not crazy. Not that great of a song, and definitely the weakest link remaining to me

to each, their own
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    You Are
    I thought You Are would be a landslide this round. I like some of the others that are about to get the boot, but never liked You Are, and dislike it even more live.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,039
    Green Disease
    not my favorite
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    1/2 Full
    1/2 Full.

Why? Good question. It really is a strong song but maybe for me that's the root of the problem- that's it's strength seems a bit forced. Ed's vocals seem rough but lacking something. Urgency? I'm really not sure. It sounds a bit constipated to my ears. The overall texture of the song has a forced chunkiness to it for me. And Mike's wah is also a problem for me. It's too cliched sounding for my tastes. Like a so-so imitation of someone imitating Hendrix. Early on I figured, OK, this is going to grow on me. Never did, so there it is.

But, look, picky picky picky. It's still part of one of my favorite PJ LP's. I would not want it to be removed from the mix just because it doesn't particularly work for me. After all, it's not a bad song!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Cropduster
    Wow! Fascinated by the results this round. This has to be us at our most divisive and it's only round 2 of Riot Act. With 5 already, possibly 6 songs with enough votes to be eliminated... this is what these threads are all about. It bears repeating, well done, MedozK. Love that some are still touting their favorites as others cast them aside. Awesome!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Save You
    I'm proud to go against the pack and vote for Save You. Don't see how it doesn't have more votes amongst this group of songs. Never did love the song but didn't not like it either.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Ghost
    I'm​ surprised at the lack of votes for Can't Keep, for some reason I thought this was a much maligned song around here.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    1/2 Full

I'm proud to go against the pack and vote for Save You. Don't see how it doesn't have more votes amongst this group of songs. Never did love the song but didn't not like it either.

Save you is probably next to go for me
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Cropduster
    brianlux said:

1/2 Full.

Why? Good question. It really is a strong song but maybe for me that's the root of the problem- that's it's strength seems a bit forced. Ed's vocals seem rough but lacking something. Urgency? I'm really not sure. It sounds a bit constipated to my ears. The overall texture of the song has a forced chunkiness to it for me. And Mike's wah is also a problem for me. It's too cliched sounding for my tastes. Like a so-so imitation of someone imitating Hendrix. Early on I figured, OK, this is going to grow on me. Never did, so there it is.

But, look, picky picky picky. It's still part of one of my favorite PJ LP's. I would not want it to be removed from the mix just because it doesn't particularly work for me. After all, it's not a bad song!

In my opinion, i always found riot act a dark album with Arc and 1/2 Full its glimmer of hope capping off the pending doom we are all facing as highlighted throughout all the tracks on the album. Arc heightens our emotions and questions our being with each other and the earth through the highs and lows of eds voice leaving a end feeling of peace and hope, while 1/2 full screams the disappointment of mans progress due to greed and hate, we all have identified in some form or another, leaving us all reaching out with hope for a savior, a hero, a change in movement in man something different from the norm, something better for us all.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Green Disease
    I have never, never liked Green Disease. From the first redundant line to the spelling bit - ugh.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Can't Keep
    rgambs said:

I'm​ surprised at the lack of votes for Can't Keep, for some reason I thought this was a much maligned song around here.

Preach! I'm right there with you.
  • Options
    Save You

I have never, never liked Green Disease. From the first redundant line to the spelling bit - ugh.

I am in agreement with you. One of the few Pearl Jam songs I want to love because other people do but can't (Save You, Whipping, Blood, MFC, and a few others).
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    1/2 Full
    Nami said:

brianlux said:

1/2 Full.

In my opinion, i always found riot act a dark album with Arc and 1/2 Full its glimmer of hope capping off the pending doom we are all facing as highlighted throughout all the tracks on the album. Arc heightens our emotions and questions our being with each other and the earth through the highs and lows of eds voice leaving a end feeling of peace and hope, while 1/2 full screams the disappointment of mans progress due to greed and hate, we all have identified in some form or another, leaving us all reaching out with hope for a savior, a hero, a change in movement in man something different from the norm, something better for us all.
    I can see how you would see the album that way. Makes sense.

Reading through the various comments here, it seems this album strikes most of us differently with a wide variety of reactions to it . In a way, it seems like the differing opinions of this album are one of the main things that makes this album so strong (weather pro or con)- that it has the ability to pull varying emotions, both favorable and unfavorable, from different people as much as it does.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Green Disease

I am in agreement with you. One of the few Pearl Jam songs I want to love because other people do but can't (Save You, Whipping, Blood, MFC, and a few others).
    You don't love Whipping? Jesus. I don't think I want you agreeing with me :lol:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Save You

You don't love Whipping? Jesus. I don't think I want you agreeing with me :lol:
    Haha. I'm a monster.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Green Disease

Save you is probably next to go for me
    Man...1/2 full and save you back to back? Two of the stronger songs on the album imo. Riot act is a polarizing album for sure.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    1/2 Full
    I full out admit my vote was out of spite. If a song with as sweet and as badass a grove as You Are has is going down, then it's not going down alone!

This is what happens when the masses vote poorly.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited April 2017
    Ghost
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

This discussion has been closed.