Options

PJ Reading List- What would you pick?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
Saw on the "Celebrate World Book Day" page ( http://mailchi.mp/tenclub/world-book-day-2017?e=ccf2fcfcc8 ) listing these picks from the guys in the band:

Eddie Vedder: James Baldwin, Jimmy's Blues (Baldwin is awesome)
Jeff Ament: Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita (also happens to be one of Henry Rollins favorite books- Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog is also great)
Mike McCready: John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath (great pick, of course!)
Stone Gossard: Norman Rush, Mating (Don't know this one, will have to check it out)
Matt Cameron: Franz Kafka, Amerika (Yes! The great Franz Kafka!)

So if you were to add your name and one (just one? almost impossible task!) book to the list, what would it be? My pick would be Edward Abbey, The Fools Progress
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    This recovering Russian literature major thinks it's great that Jeff's favorite book is The Master and Margarita; that explains "Pilate," too. :-)

I have two absolute favorite books (I know, I know):
    Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov is, in my opinion, the greatest novel of the 19th century; check out the recent translation by Pevear and Volokhonsky, it's awesome.

Nabokov's Pale Fire -- technically, per the author, an American novel -- gets my vote for best 20th-century work.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,883
    The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    bill801bill801 Posts: 9
    Impossible to choose just one. But I'll mention "Let the Great World Spin," by Irish novelist Colum McCann.
    Love the band, love the way they're promoting literacy, but I have to mention this: while encouraging us to celebrate Independent Bookstore Day, they provide links for each of their choices that lead to....amazon.com. Sheesh.
    I almost never participate on this forum, so I feel kind of bad about bringing this up. But I really think it needed to be pointed out.
    Again, kudos to Pearl Jam for pointing people toward interesting books.

• Options
    Nice picks so far! Kudos curmudgeon for Dostoevsky and lexicon for that most wonderful Carson McCullers title!

Bill, I'm not familiar with the McCann title. I'll check it out! And thank you for mentioning that, unfortunately, the links lead to Amazon. Pearl Jam/Ten Club might want to learn more about how Jeff Bezos and Amazon operates as well as how they treat their employees. That's just a suggestion- I don't want to turn this thread into a political discussion about Amazon- but suffice it to say I'm a bit surprised they have tied themselves into this particular company.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,490
    So many great books out there..but if i have to pick one, that would be ''The Catcher in the Rye'' by Salinger or something from Pynchon..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Edwin A. Abbott, Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,977
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. That Ignatius character is a pisser!
  • Options
    More good pics! I'm mining them, haha! Toole on my list of "must reads".

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,883

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. That Ignatius character is a pisser!

Agreed about Ignatius! If you like that character you might want to check out, if you haven't already, any of the books by John Fante featuring the character, Arturo Bandini. Fante was one of Bukowski's favorite writers.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Hmmmmm
    Subscription to Mother Earth News lol

No, if it has to be a book...
    The People's History
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    Down and Out In Paris and London - George Orwell
  • Options

Always good to see an Orwell fan who has read more than 1984 and/or Animal Farm! :plus_one:

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    brianlux said:

Always good to see an Orwell fan who has read more than 1984 and/or Animal Farm! :plus_one:
    I just read 1984, very very good :)
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?