Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Arc

derbydave said:

Arc was never gonna be champ. :|

Maybe not...
    but knowing what this song stands for,
    there's no way I could pick it as a weakest link.
    Arc is a great tribute. Reminds of a very Neil Young-type song, much like Life Wasted (Reprise). My favorite three from Riot Act are: I Am Mine, Love Boat Captain and Cropduster. Hope one of them is crowned champ.
    Would say your biggest chance there is I Am Mine.

My bet is I am mine or all or none winning. Or maybe thumbing my way.
    Would not break my heart if "I am Mine" wins! I would also be happy to see "Save You", "Ghost" (though unlikely), "Thumbing My Way", or "Green Disease" win. Great songs all!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    You Are
    rummy said:

mcgruff10 said:

rummy said:

tbergs said:

rummy said:

MedozK said:

PJNB said:

Not sure if this has been asked before but do you plan to do the weakest link for all of the winners?

yep
    Release for the win!
    (or maybe Corduroy ...or RVM)
    Release shouldn't have even won Ten and better not win it all. Unfortunately, live performance burn out is affecting voter judgment. Apparently over exposure isn't only a political issue...
    Release is the best song on Ten. (Why Go being second) And im not burned out in any way :)
    Black is the best song in Ten and even the blinds and the deafs can see and hear it..
    Black is 5 out of 5. But Release is a notch better :)
    ...And Alive is right there with the both of them (if not above).
    Matt,
    what is your guess for winner this round?
    I'm going I am mine for the win!
    Given that Light Years was the Binaural champion, I think I Am Mine is a very good bet to win this one - it's also one of my favourites from the album, even if it was the (minor) hit single and not a deeper cut from Riot Act.

Speaking of singles, I'm also a sucker for Save You, which I know some don't like as it might be a bit inferior to similar rock out tunes from the nineties (eg, Hail Hail, Brain of J, etc.). However, I definitely prefer it to the faster tracks on Binaural.

After that, I really like the songs that they ended up playing at the Benaroya Hall show. However, I also prefer those versions to the ones on Riot Act.
    Save you is a great freaking song. I'm guessing dirty hates it because it's too hard of a song.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Help Help
    Help should have been on Lost Dogs - might have helped with it's popularity.
  • Options
    EchoesOnMarsEchoesOnMars Reading, Pennsylvania Posts: 422
    Arc
    The message is great for this song, but got to pick one
    Philadelphia 2013 (Night 1)
    Philadelphia 2016 (Night 2)
    Upper Darby 2016 (Night 2) (Temple of the Dog)

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Help Help
    This will be much tougher in the late rounds. There's no standout song to me, but quite a few I really like...save you, ghost, I am mine, you are, 1/2 full to name a few.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Arc
    arc, no brainer, though it has its meaning, it's intense, but not a song... or is it?
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Arc

arc, no brainer, though it has its meaning, it's intense, but not a song... or is it?

I'd say that it's a "track" but not really a "song."
  • Options
    RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    1/2 Full
    This is the first album where voting is not as tight for me! Probably my least favourite album barring the latest two maybe. Self titled was awesome, a pick up from Riot Act, but having saying that this record still has some great songs though just quality thins out. Man the last six albums were so hard to narrow down, never mind to a winner, should be a little easier now...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Get Right
    I think if you take the top 6 or 7 songs from Riot Act and put them against the top 6 or 7 from Avocado, Riot Act wins. I do think there are some weak links that make Avocado a better album...Maybe.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    1/2 Full
    The winners so far have been spot on pretty much, weird how all divided we are but it seems to play itself out in the end! The weakest link between these will be nigh on impossible though.
  • Options
    1/2 Full
    rgambs said:

I think if you take the top 6 or 7 songs from Riot Act and put them against the top 6 or 7 from Avocado, Riot Act wins. I do think there are some weak links that make Avocado a better album...Maybe.

Lyrically Riot Act is better personally, soundwise is just down to preference. I think Avocado holds to the end, whereas Riot Act loses it's consistency, though from an outsider I think Avocado clicks faster but Riot Act takes time, such a different sound. Took me years to appreciate it. Avocado is almost a throw back to the raw sound they're used to churning out, Riot Act was more new ground. That's what I think anyway...
  • Options
    rgambs said:

In the interest of open dialogue... I respectfully disagree.

Avocado is solid. After I Am Mine, Riot Act falls down.

I do think Bushleaguer is a better song than the first round voting indicates.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,886
    Riot Act is my top PJ album. In my opinion, I think it has some amazing stuff going on with it. Love this album all the way through. Should be interesting to watch the poll for this album....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,934
    edited April 2017
    Get Right
    Feel a bit sad about Arc.

Thankfully I got to hear it live at some Ed shows

I voted for Get Right. It's catchy musically. But lyrically....one of, if not the worst in the catalogue!

Interesting to see a few votes for 1/2 Full.
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    tunodamaitunodamai Posts: 74
    Help Help

derbydave said:

Arc was never gonna be champ. :|

Maybe not...
    but knowing what this song stands for,
    there's no way I could pick it as a weakest link.
    Arc is a great tribute. Reminds of a very Neil Young-type song, much like Life Wasted (Reprise). My favorite three from Riot Act are: I Am Mine, Love Boat Captain and Cropduster. Hope one of them is crowned champ.
    It makes much more sense to live......in the present tense.
  • Options
    tunodamaitunodamai Posts: 74
    Help Help
    Cropduster, Love Boat Captain, I Am Mine and Green Disease are my top ones for Riot Act.
    It makes much more sense to live......in the present tense.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    Arc
    All or None and 1/2 Full are the only worthy songs to be the best on this album.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    Bu$hleaguer
    MedozK said:

PJNB said:

Not sure if this has been asked before but do you plan to do the weakest link for all of the winners?

yep
    Cool, this has been lots of fun, great idea!
  • Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    Help Help
    Hard to vote for Arc bc of the meaning....had to go Help.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    Help Help
    MedozK said:

We now have champions for:
    Ten (Release)
    Vs (Rearviewmirror)
    Vitalogy (Corduroy)
    No Code (Present Tense)
    Yield (Given To Fly)
    Binaural (Light Years)

We will now play to determine the GREATEST song on the album Riot Act.

For anyone new to the game:
    You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the four (4) songs with the most votes.
    We will then move on to Round 2. - Remember you are voting to eliminate songs from contention.

Note - Since Pearl Jam albums generally have more than 10 songs (which is all I can put in a poll), if you want to vote for:

11. I Am Mine; Just don't vote and put I Am Mine in your comments.
    12. Save You; Just don't vote and put Save You in your comments.
    13. Love Boat Captain; Just don't vote and put Love Boat Captain in your comments.
    14. Can't Keep; Just don't vote and put Can't Keep in your comments.
    15. All Or None; Just don't vote and put All Or None in your comments.

Again REMEMBER since this album has more songs... 4 songs will be eliminated in the first round.

Round 1 Poll will end 4/23/17 (Sunday) at 2:30pm cst

Solid work doing all of this by the way. Definitely kept my interest and raises my curiosity each week.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    gotahardhardheadgotahardhardhead Norfolk UK Posts: 17
    **** I AM MINE **** Sorry but it true. Never enjoyed this tune, first original I had to get to get used the fact I didn't like.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    Arc
    goldrush said:

Looks like this will be another poll where I'll be bitching about the songs that get voted off! Riot Act is a pretty perfect record IMO so the next rounds are going be tough.

Just don't balls things up like you did with No Way and the NAIS/Parting Ways/Thin Air debacle ok guys?

Right..Save You or All or None for winning..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    Arc

**** I AM MINE **** Sorry but it true. Never enjoyed this tune, first original I had to get to get used the fact I didn't like.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,268
    Arc

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Bu$hleaguer

:rofl:
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    Help Help
    mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

Let's begin the illogical dismantling of another underappreciated album to follow the disrespect Binaural was given.

Every band has weak links. A lot of fans think binaural and riot act are it. There s definitely some gems on it but overall it seems to be their two weakest products. Self titled was a nice rebound.

Self Titled is the worst album they ever put out.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    Arc

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

Let's begin the illogical dismantling of another underappreciated album to follow the disrespect Binaural was given.

Every band has weak links. A lot of fans think binaural and riot act are it. There s definitely some gems on it but overall it seems to be their two weakest products. Self titled was a nice rebound.

LOL
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Arc

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

I dunno. I'd say Backspacer but it is indeed a matter of opinion.

I agree with the essence of an earlier post that stated albums like Binaural and Riot Act take more time to appreciate while Self-titled/Avocado was easier to get into initially. I have to admit I sort of ignored most of the new stuff from the band from in 2000 and 2003 (I liked the singles but didn't go much further then that). For whatever reason, I decided to get the 2006 album, quite liked it, and decided to go and get the previous two. It took some time but I now like them both (Binaural and Riot Act) more than Avocado.

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

Dear Gawd.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    You Are

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

That award goes to riot act. ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
This discussion has been closed.