Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Picked up a few more replacement Neil records to fill in some gaps in my collection:

I've always liked Trans, it's a very misunderstood record. Everybody's Rockin is a harmless bit of fun, but I fully accept that Landing On Water is pretty awful! :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited March 2017
    goldrush said:

Picked up a few more replacement Neil records to fill in some gaps in my collection:

I've always liked Trans, it's a very misunderstood record. Everybody's Rockin is a harmless bit of fun, but I fully accept that Landing On Water is pretty awful! :)

Those were the three Neil Young records, together with Life and Reactor that you always found when looking for used vinyl. Seems a lot of people (in Sweden atleast) bought and didn't want to keep those.
    Really like Trans and Reactor though.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    goldrush said:

Trans is cool! A few cuts don't hold up so well but mostly great and the really good stuff is terrific!

Unbelievably, I still don't have the Shocking Pinks LP. 36 Neil albums but no Shocking Pink!

Recently repurchased Landing on Water because I had to hear "Hippie Dream" again!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Mr Soul from Trans is bad ass
    I hope Neil is ok... and I hope he is recording a classic album on his hiatus... I also expect to see a massive CSNY tour in the next few years...

and hopefully Farm Aid is near the east coast again this year
    my2hands said:

I hope Neil is ok... and I hope he is recording a classic album on his hiatus... I also expect to see a massive CSNY tour in the next few years...

I haven't heard much about the Old Man lately. Any idea what he's up to?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Banging Daryl Hannah. ;)
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    my2hands said:

What makes you expect him playing with Crosby ever again?

I hope he's focusing on Archives volume 2. And thinking about a Mirrorball 2
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I am ready for a Crazy Horse show

my2hands said:

Yeah, a CSNY reunion is unlikely although you never know with these guys. First it was Crosby slamming Young for dating Hannah. Then came Crosby's apology to Young and Hannah. Then it was Nash saying "I don't want anything to do with Crosby..." The it was Crosby tearing into Young again, this time over comment Young made about Trump using his music. Then it was Nash saying Crosby “ripped the heart out of CSNY. He’s been awful for me the last two years, just fucking awful. I’ve been there and saved his fucking ass for 45 years, and he treated me like shit.” Meanwhile, Stills just keeps plugging along, probably trying to ignore all the hype and B.S.

They should get together and do a cover of the Ramones' "We're a Happy Family".

brianlux said:

my2hands said:

Yeah, a CSNY reunion is unlikely although you never know with these guys. First it was Crosby slamming Young for dating Hannah. Then came Crosby's apology to Young and Hannah. Then it was Nash saying "I don't want anything to do with Crosby..." The it was Crosby tearing into Young again, this time over comment Young made about Trump using his music. Then it was Nash saying Crosby “ripped the heart out of CSNY. He’s been awful for me the last two years, just fucking awful. I’ve been there and saved his fucking ass for 45 years, and he treated me like shit.” Meanwhile, Stills just keeps plugging along, probably trying to ignore all the hype and B.S.

They should get together and do a cover of the Ramones' "We're a Happy Family".

Maybe a SNY-tour?
    brianlux said:

goldrush said:

Trans is cool! A few cuts don't hold up so well but mostly great and the really good stuff is terrific!

Unbelievably, I still don't have the Shocking Pinks LP. 36 Neil albums but no Shocking Pink!

Recently repurchased Landing on Water because I had to hear "Hippie Dream" again!
    Hey Brian, welcome back!
    But what do you mean you don't have Kinda Fonda Wanda on vinyl? Shame on you! =)

(Tim Rogers)
    Looks like 'Decade' is getting a reissue for Record Store Day!

neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2017/03/neil-youngs-decade-to-be-re-released-on.html

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

brianlux said:

goldrush said:

Hey Brian, welcome back!
    But what do you mean you don't have Kinda Fonda Wanda on vinyl? Shame on you! =)
    Thank you, goldrush. Yes, I know, for shame, haha! One of these days it will join the others!
    goldrush said:

neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2017/03/neil-youngs-decade-to-be-re-released-on.html

Fantastic! A really great collection of Neil's first 10 years. Definitely recommended for those who don't have it. Hopefully it will have the same cool gatefold layout

goldrush said:

I read somewhere the RSD release of "Decade" will be limited to 5,000 copies. I already have a fine copy so will save my dollars for something new but Neil fans, you'll want to grab this one. Highly recommended!

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594

my2hands said:

I just want him to reissue Mirrorball. I don't see a Mirrorball 2 ever happening.
    kramer73 said:

my2hands said:

I just want him to reissue Mirrorball. I don't see a Mirrorball 2 ever happening.
    Me neither.

Living with war should have been Mirrorball 2.
    My 3 year old had his first experience of Record Store Day today :)

I missed out on the PJ 7" but I'm super happy to get my hands on the Decade remaster! My original copy is still thousands of miles away in the UK so it's very nice to have a new copy here. The RSD issue is limited to 5000 - it will be spinning later on tonight for sure.

Also grabbed the box set of A Letter Home that I've had my eye on for a while

(Tim Rogers)
    Don't see the point on a re-issue trying to sell itself by being limited (only 5000 copies and in the original packaing is hilarious). Saw it here in Sweden too, was expansive. Alot of content ofc.

But got the original, so I'm fine.

Nice A Letter Home box. But, not an album I really listen to.
    edited April 2017
    goldrush said:

brianlux said:

goldrush said:

Hey Brian, welcome back!
    Thanks goldrush!

LOL, yeah one of these days I'll add that to my other 36 Neil LP's, which for completists is a relatively small Neil vinyl collection!

Nice RSD additions to yours, by the way!

Edit: I should file this one under the "You know you're getting old when..." thread. I had already replied to your comment a while back Goldrush! I had scrambled brains for breakfast this morning along with my coffee, waffles and blueberries. :lol:
    Post edited by brianlux on

brianlux said:

goldrush said:

brianlux said:

goldrush said:

Hey Brian, welcome back!
    Thanks goldrush!

LOL, yeah one of these days I'll add that to my other 36 Neil LP's, which for completists is a relatively small Neil vinyl collection!

Nice RSD additions to yours, by the way!

Edit: I should file this one under the "You know you're getting old when..." thread. I had already replied to your comment a while back Goldrush! I had scrambled brains for breakfast this morning along with my coffee, waffles and blueberries. :lol:
    Ha ha, no worries Brian!
    I'm pretty pleased with the 2 new additions. Decade has the tri-gatefold layout (with record 2's sleeve inside record 1's), and 2 cool Henry Diltz photographs. A Letter Home has 2 LPs, 7x clear vinyl 7"s, the CD and a DVD, as well as a really cool book.

I've also got one more 'replacement' on the way that I'm very excited about. I'll post a pic when it gets here...

(Tim Rogers)
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I got After The Gold Rush on RSD today for $11.99. Hawks and Doves is the only one I had on vinyl before.

I got After The Gold Rush on RSD today for $11.99. Hawks and Doves is the only one I had on vinyl before.

How come you have Hawks and Doves (out of all the NY albums released)? :)
    i need to grab Decade... hopefully some are left on the shelves?

what was the price on that by the way?
    Possible new Archives release?

This photo was posted on Gary Burden's website a few days ago, but has been taken down now.

Hitchhiker is one of the unreleased acoustic records from the mid-70s, and a Gary Burden collaborates on a lot of Neil's artwork...

(Tim Rogers)
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Who would be responsible for a Mirrorball reissue?
    kramer73 said:

Who would be responsible for a Mirrorball reissue?

I would think Neil still has the word on that.

I wonder what a reissue would go for? Looks like used, near mints start at around $35 to $40, US. If pressed on 2 LP's like the original, probably at least that much.

goldrush said:

Possible new Archives release?

This photo was posted on Gary Burden's website a few days ago, but has been taken down now.

Hitchhiker is one of the unreleased acoustic records from the mid-70s, and a Gary Burden collaborates on a lot of Neil's artwork...

interesting
    Just found out Jonathan Demme (who passed today) shot Neil Young playing with Crazy Horse in 1996 on 35mm film with the guy who shot Silence of the Lambs and Sixth Sense etc. Would love to see that.

Just found out Jonathan Demme (who passed today) shot Neil Young playing with Crazy Horse in 1996 on 35mm film with the guy who shot Silence of the Lambs and Sixth Sense etc. Would love to see that.

It was called "The Complex Sessions", and it was 4 songs from the Sleeps With Angels record. It was only released on VHS, I've got a copy in a storage box somewhere. The audio tracks were included on a bootleg called "TV EP and Best of The Unreleased" (which includes a fantastic version of Interstate, by the way)

It's never come out on DVD but the videos are all on YouTube:

My Heart

Prime of Life

Change Your Mind

Piece of Crap

(Tim Rogers)