Options

Free The Nipple - Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,814
    hedonist said:

I'll keep my nips to myself, thank you very much! While I do agree that women's breasts tend to be seen / appreciated in a sexual way (by both men and women), it makes me think to the times when women had to be almost fully covered when swimming. Showing an ankle or bit of leg prompted derision and cries of immorality, among other things.

Times change. Views change. We hopefully evolve some over time.

(although it doesn't seem to be much of an issue in Europe)

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable strolling around or going about my day topless in public. One, I'm simply modest in that sense...and two, it'd be pretty fucking weird to run into neighbors, friends, coworkers, etc. while bare-boobed.

Legit (and thoughtful!) question on the part of your young daughter, Hugh. Sadly, I think double standards will always exist.

surprising, given your screen name. :blush:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    A big part of the reason nipples won't be freed in my lifetime - too many guys like Trump, O'Reilly and Michael Regan.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    If you please, they are breasts, not boobs. If you want this thread to remain open, respect is key. It started off very adult and is going downhill. I will edit the posts and if you have a problem with that...you can avoid this thread.
    Admin
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    didn't think that word was disrespectful. but if you say so......
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216

It's a slang term often used in a sexual connotation. There's a reason they refer to it as breastfeeding and not something else with slang terms.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

It's a slang term often used in a sexual connotation. There's a reason they refer to it as breastfeeding and not something else with slang terms.
    well I know it's slang, I just didn't consider it offensive the way I'd consider other terms used for breasts. moving on........
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216

tbergs said:

well I know it's slang, I just didn't consider it offensive the way I'd consider other terms used for breasts. moving on........
    Oh, I agree. I don't find it offensive, but I can see why some would.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,234
    Kat said:

If you please, they are breasts, not boobs. If you want this thread to remain open, respect is key. It started off very adult and is going downhill. I will edit the posts and if you have a problem with that...you can avoid this thread.
    Admin

I guess this is the end for me because this is the absolute most ridiculous thing I may have ever heard. Perhaps a new section can be added to the board called "safe space" so words like boobs and pee pees won't offend you. There is a line of absurdity that has been crossed here. Between our fucked up political system of leaders and people offended at the drop of a hat no wonder others think the USA is laughable. God help us all.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610

Kat said:

Admin

I guess this is the end for me because this is the absolute most ridiculous thing I may have ever heard. Perhaps a new section can be added to the board called "safe space" so words like boobs and pee pees won't offend you. There is a line of absurdity that has been crossed here. Between our fucked up political system of leaders and people offended at the drop of a hat no wonder others think the USA is laughable. God help us all.
    So you're saying this offends you?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Kat said:

Admin

So you're saying this offends you?
    It doesn't offend me at all. It makes me laugh my ass off.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Kat said:

Admin

Where was the outrage over the PUSSY hats instead of the VAGINA hats?
  • Options

Kat said:

Admin

Offended that sometimes rules are different in different situations? This doesn't sound like laughter.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Kat said:

Admin

It was requested that we not use the p word, and I think most people had no issue complying. The continuing discussion of a word rather than the topic of the thread will likely get this thread locked again. Best to just stick to the topic.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

Kat said:

Admin

Offended that sometimes rules are different in different situations? This doesn't sound like laughter.
    Again I'm not offended at all. I thinks it's sad and depressing that the word boobs triggers this response.
  • Options

Kat said:

Admin

Again I'm not offended at all. I thinks it's sad and depressing that the word boobs triggers this response.
    Shouldn't sad be in all caps?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    edited April 2017

and honestly, if my agenda was to simply see more breasts, this wouldn't be the way to go about it. 90% of the breasts out there, when not supported, and/or after a certain age, don't exactly fit the criteria that most men fantasize about anyway.

My comments weren't directed towards you. And as I read through them a day later it was a defensive over-reaction to accuse someone of pushing their agenda. I felt it was inappropriate to be told there is no difference between my view and forcing women to wear a burka by simply stating that if the majority of society views it this way, then the law shouldn't change until the common view does. That still sounds like basic common sense to me and am at a lost how that jump was made.
    I just don't see this as an issue. If a women really feels restricted they can legally get away with wearing next to nothing. Literally if someone wants to be topless at a beach and a bikini isnt close enough, in most places as long as the nipple isnt visible then she is following the law, so use a band-aid or something. They may be not a sexual organ with a reproductive purpose, but our culture sees breasts as a sexual body part. Movies, TV, music, and especially advertisement all reinforce that.
    You may not have said you want change for change sake. But it seems there is no debate over how society views female breasts. To change the law we would have to change how society views it. I just dont see the point in that. If society changes, then the laws can change, but until then keep the law.
    I guess the only difference is you don't see the common perception as being important where I do. The actual reproductive role to me has no bearing on the matter, to me it is all public perception.
    Public perception is very important. Why is a bad word a bad word? It is just sounds and vibrations, literally. But we can't say the F-word over public airwaves and network stations that are free to the public because society had portrayed those sounds as bad. There is nothing inherently bad about those sounds, it is what society has deemed inappropriate for children. Public perception is everything, and if the majority view a body part as an intimate part, then it is.
    It isn't a sexist/women's rights issue/men cant control themselves/old men trying to control women or any of the other reasons mentioned, especially when more women than men feel this way.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Think about it, folks, who wants this to happen the most? Well, look at it this way, who do you think came up with the concept of "free sex" in the sixties? Women wanting to be promiscuous? Sure, maybe a small percentage. Guys wanting to get laid frequently? Bingo.

I once saw a TV host ask Zsa Zsa Gabor what her thoughts were on women going topless. She said, "Oh no, darling, it is so much more tantalizing to just show some cleavage, you know?" and she gave this sly look. Smart lady.

I'm no prude and I don't think we need laws on such matters, but I also think smart women generally, in public at least, choose to be more subtle and especially discrete when among young people.

But you know what I find most offensive? Guys walking around city streets or anywhere in public besides the pool or beach without a shirt on. I'm serious. I hate that.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:

Think about it, folks, who wants this to happen the most? Well, look at it this way, who do you think came up with the concept of "free sex" in the sixties? Women wanting to be promiscuous? Sure, maybe a small percentage. Guys wanting to get laid frequently? Bingo.

I once saw a TV host ask Zsa Zsa Gabor what her thoughts were on women going topless. She said, "Oh no, darling, it is so much more tantalizing to just show some cleavage, you know?" and she gave this sly look. Smart lady.

I'm no prude and I don't think we need laws on such matters, but I also think smart women generally, in public at least, choose to be more subtle and especially discrete when among young people.

But you know what I find most offensive? Guys walking around city streets or anywhere in public besides the pool or beach without a shirt on. I'm serious. I hate that.

It's not about whether a woman should or should't show her breasts in public, that is an opinion....it's about whether she should have the right.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

and honestly, if my agenda was to simply see more breasts, this wouldn't be the way to go about it. 90% of the breasts out there, when not supported, and/or after a certain age, don't exactly fit the criteria that most men fantasize about anyway.

My comments weren't directed towards you. And as I read through them a day later it was a defensive over-reaction to accuse someone of pushing their agenda. I felt it was inappropriate to be told there is no difference between my view and forcing women to wear a burka by simply stating that if the majority of society views it this way, then the law shouldn't change until the common view does. That still sounds like basic common sense to me and am at a lost how that jump was made.
    I just don't see this as an issue. If a women really feels restricted they can legally get away with wearing next to nothing. Literally if someone wants to be topless at a beach and a bikini isnt close enough, in most places as long as the nipple isnt visible then she is following the law, so use a band-aid or something. They may be not a sexual organ with a reproductive purpose, but our culture sees breasts as a sexual body part. Movies, TV, music, and especially advertisement all reinforce that.
    You may not have said you want change for change sake. But it seems there is no debate over how society views female breasts. To change the law we would have to change how society views it. I just dont see the point in that. If society changes, then the laws can change, but until then keep the law.
    I guess the only difference is you don't see the common perception as being important where I do. The actual reproductive role to me has no bearing on the matter, to me it is all public perception.
    Public perception is very important. Why is a bad word a bad word? It is just sounds and vibrations, literally. But we can't say the F-word over public airwaves and network stations that are free to the public because society had portrayed those sounds as bad. There is nothing inherently bad about those sounds, it is what society has deemed inappropriate for children. Public perception is everything, and if the majority view a body part as an intimate part, then it is.
    It isn't a sexist/women's rights issue/men cant control themselves/old men trying to control women or any of the other reasons mentioned, especially when more women than men feel this way.
    This is a women's rights issue. If you are telling women they can't do something that a man can do, you are restricting their rights. It really is that simple.
  • Options
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

It's not about whether a woman should or should't show her breasts in public, that is an opinion....it's about whether she should have the right.
    Ultimately... your statement is at the root of the discussion.

There's a woman in BC who fought for her right to ride topless. She won the right and she exercises it.

I drove by her as a passenger in a car once. The driver was blathering away about something and my jaw hit the floor. I interrupted him and said, "What was that?"

He replied, "Oh. That's so and so. She fought for the right to ride her bike with her 'breasts' liberated."

I was okay with it and actually impressed she pushed as she did and won her situation, but I'm not sure why she wanted to do it? On this particular day, it was kind of cold and gravity was not her friend.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

If a bunch of males creating a law that restricts what a female can or cannot do with her body that has zero effect on anyone else isn't a sexism/women's rights issue, I dont know what is.

If society says something is so, then it is so to you? Thats about as mindless and sheep mindset I've ever heard.

So if something doesnt affect the majority, then its a non issue? Case closed? Wow, I guess we shouldn't have bothered with all those pesky wheelchair ramps, segregated bathrooms and schools, family washrooms in malls, bike lanes on roads, lesbian wedding cakes, any of that silly stuff that the majority dont have to deal with.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:

Smart women choose to be more discreet? I have no idea what to say to that Brian.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

I said "I don't think we need laws on such matters."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

brianlux said:

Smart women choose to be more discreet? I have no idea what to say to that Brian.

No worries, my friend.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    As to what alternate term is applied to breasts, context and intent mean much. Apologies if - after my many years of posting here - my use of "bare-boobed" was taken as being a disrespectful ass. Not meant as such.

I'd hope (but not necessarily expect) that would be taken into consideration. I haven't seen a whole lot of protesting when penises are referred to as junk, etc. Or various terms for asses.

On to the topic again! - I've seen many shirtless men who would do well to invest in a Mansiere / Bro, but never been offended by it. Some opinions of those I respect may offend me...shitty actions may offend me. Hell, both have. But someone with their top off? Maybe not appealing to what I find attractive, but fuck it. Big deal. They're out there and nothing catastrophic has come from it. No one is going blind, unable to go work, care for themselves. Suck it up (no pun intended), and move on.

Women should have the opportunity (read: right) to do the same,

Reactions are on the reactioner.
  • Options
    dignin said:

mace1229 said:

This is a women's rights issue. If you are telling women they can't do something that a man can do, you are restricting their rights. It really is that simple.
    Showing the nipple in public is considered nudity in this country. How are they being restricted, seriously? What can a woman not do as a result of covering her nipple?
    And it keeps being brought back to men telling women they can't do it. Not true, one of my points is that more women feel uncomfortable with this law than men do. If the majority of women want it this way, how is it sexist and restrictive to women's rights?
    I don't feel strongly about this law as long as culture considers it nudity then the law shouldn't change. If culture changes then change the law.
    I don't think I am answer yet. Why change it consider the majority of women don't want to change it, and modern culture doesn't accept it? What is the benefit. Don't say women's rights because more women will be upset if it is changed.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

If a bunch of males creating a law that restricts what a female can or cannot do with her body that has zero effect on anyone else isn't a sexism/women's rights issue, I dont know what is.

If society says something is so, then it is so to you? Thats about as mindless and sheep mindset I've ever heard.

So if something doesnt affect the majority, then its a non issue? Case closed? Wow, I guess we shouldn't have bothered with all those pesky wheelchair ramps, segregated bathrooms and schools, family washrooms in malls, bike lanes on roads, lesbian wedding cakes, any of that silly stuff that the majority dont have to deal with.
    Again, not a women's rights issue. More women are for laws against going top less than for it, I really don't know why men are being blamed in nearly every response being brought up supporting it. Women want these laws even more.
    And I didn't say only appeal to the mass. Again, my response taken out of context. I said culture defines nudity, among other things. Why is a bad word a bad word, and in some cities can even get a ticket for cussing in public? Culture says it is. Why is nudity offensive? Culture says it is. Role in reproductive doesn't play a role in our culture as to what is nudity. Assless chaos are illegal in public, but yet no one is history has gotten pregnant through that. Sexual images and nudity are defined by culture. Our culture says breasts, butt and genitials are nudity.
    And even so I don't see how women are being restricted. Men are often required to wear dress pants long sleeves and a tie in a job where a women can wear shorts t shirt and flip flops. Our culture say men need all that to look professional, where less is needed for a women to look as professional. I won't be going on strike any time soon over that dress code.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with saying it's time for that to change. But at least acknowledge culture considers it nudity, and not some old white dude in an office trying to repress women back to the 50s. It's nudity, and nudity in public is illegal. That's all there is to that. Want to change what nudity is then fine, but you're going to have to start with women first since they are more against this issue than men. And tell TV, music and advertisement that breasts are no longer considered sexual too.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I am really just scratching my head on this one why even just suggestion breasts are sexual that equates me to a radical Islamic sheep.
    Everyone must think Pamela Anderson was hired for her amazing acting skills I guess....
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

mace1229 said:

Showing the nipple in public is considered nudity in this country. How are they being restricted, seriously? What can a woman not do as a result of covering her nipple?
    And it keeps being brought back to men telling women they can't do it. Not true, one of my points is that more women feel uncomfortable with this law than men do. If the majority of women want it this way, how is it sexist and restrictive to women's rights?
    I don't feel strongly about this law as long as culture considers it nudity then the law shouldn't change. If culture changes then change the law.
    I don't think I am answer yet. Why change it consider the majority of women don't want to change it, and modern culture doesn't accept it? What is the benefit. Don't say women's rights because more women will be upset if it is changed.
    Men can show their nipples in public, women can't. Do you understand how that's not equal?

I don't see how this is hard to understand....it's very simple.

I would like to see these stats that you keep referring to where women feel that men should be able to show their nipples in public and women shouldn't.