Arc
    Arc was never gonna be champ. :|
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Bu$hleaguer

Maybe not...
    but knowing what this song stands for,
    there's no way I could pick it as a weakest link.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

Let's begin the illogical dismantling of another underappreciated album to follow the disrespect Binaural was given.

Every band has weak links. A lot of fans think binaural and riot act are it. There s definitely some gems on it but overall it seems to be their two weakest products. Self titled was a nice rebound.
    My vote for this round is Can't Keep

Got that backwards. Binaural and Riot Act are solid, self titled is no bueno.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 283
    Arc

Light Years champ - erroneous

1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    Help Help
    derbydave said:

Maybe not...
    Exactly why I didn't vote for it.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Arc
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

rummy said:

MedozK said:

PJNB said:

Not sure if this has been asked before but do you plan to do the weakest link for all of the winners?

yep
    Release for the win!
    (or maybe Corduroy ...or RVM)
    Release shouldn't have even won Ten and better not win it all. Unfortunately, live performance burn out is affecting voter judgment. Apparently over exposure isn't only a political issue...
    There is a difference between the best live PJ song and the best studio song...
    I know that, but tell that to the people who are voting based on live performances.
    You can keep telling me but I'm not going to change the way I'm making my choices.
    (...but, yes, Alive maybe should have won Ten)
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    It's kind of funny seeing that Cropduster is the only listed song with zero votes. As I look at this album, I think my biggest problem with it are some of the song titles. I like the music, but some of the titles are just so meh (i.e. Cropduster, Help Help, Thumbing My Way, Bu$hleaguer).
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    tbergs said:

It's kind of funny seeing that Cropduster is the only listed song with zero votes. As I look at this album, I think my biggest problem with it are some of the song titles. I like the music, but some of the titles are just so meh (i.e. Cropduster, Help Help, Thumbing My Way, Bu$hleaguer).

Don't forget the ultimate bad title, Love Boat Captain.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Get Right
    Hand Claps.....gotta go
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242

tbergs said:

Don't forget the ultimate bad title, Love Boat Captain.
    Haha! You know, I put it down and then erased it. I'm split on that one. Not sure what else it could have been named.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Get Right
    I will NEVER understand the dislike for Help, Help...never. NEVER. Such a great song.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Help Help
    Such a good album, so hard to pick even in round one!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Arc
    WooHoo! Riot Act! Hot damn! I love this album!

OK, sorry about that, haha!

In my opinion, Arc has to go. Interesting song, nice use of Middle Eastern influences but it just doesn't work for me on this fine album.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Cropduster
    "Dimitri..he talks to me.."
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    Arc
    Looks like this will be another poll where I'll be bitching about the songs that get voted off! Riot Act is a pretty perfect record IMO so the next rounds are going be tough.

Just don't balls things up like you did with No Way and the NAIS/Parting Ways/Thin Air debacle ok guys?
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,934
    Get Right

Just for the record. I love help help.

So do I!

It's a great live tune. Adelaide 2003 is a great live rendition.

Unfortunately it will be eliminated because it doesn't get much love around here!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    Arc
    This was the hardest yet. But using the "Arc isn't even a song" argument, I didn't have to have a real opinion yet.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Arc
    tbergs said:

rummy said:

MedozK said:

PJNB said:

Not sure if this has been asked before but do you plan to do the weakest link for all of the winners?

yep
    Release for the win!
    Release shouldn't have even won Ten and better not win it all. Unfortunately, live performance burn out is affecting voter judgment. Apparently over exposure isn't only a political issue...
    Release is the best song on Ten. (Why Go being second) And im not burned out in any way :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Arc

Just for the record. I love help help.

So do I!

It's a great live tune. Adelaide 2003 is a great live rendition.

Unfortunately it will be eliminated because it doesn't get much love around here!
    Yes, its great!

Keeping tab on people voting for it. Traitors. #MHHGA
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Cropduster

tbergs said:

rummy said:

MedozK said:

PJNB said:

yep
    Release for the win!
    Release is the best song on Ten. (Why Go being second) And im not burned out in any way :)
    Black is the best song in Ten and even the blinds and the deafs can see and hear it..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    Arc

tbergs said:

rummy said:

MedozK said:

PJNB said:

yep
    Release for the win!
    Black is the best song in Ten and even the blinds and the deafs can see and hear it..
    :clap:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Arc

tbergs said:

rummy said:

MedozK said:

PJNB said:

yep
    Release for the win!
    Black is 5 out of 5. But Release is a notch better :)
  • Options
    Arc
    Too easy.
    I`m going with All or None for the win. And I also like 1/2 Full.
    For me this is a strange album, with not so many songs that stand out. Sorry Riot Act lovers.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Get Right

tbergs said:

rummy said:

MedozK said:

PJNB said:

yep
    Release for the win!
    Correct. Black is their best song, period.
    Black is the best song of the entire musical generation.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Arc

tbergs said:

rummy said:

MedozK said:

PJNB said:

yep
    Release for the win!
    ...And Alive is right there with the both of them (if not above).
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    You Are
    rummy said:

tbergs said:

rummy said:

MedozK said:

PJNB said:

yep
    Release for the win!
    Matt,
    what is your guess for winner this round?
    I'm going I am mine for the win!

Release, black, alive.....it's like which one of your kids do you like the most? All three are amazing songs live and studio. I never really connected with black like the masses so I enjoy release more although the way McCready elevates black at the end is mind boggling. Happy weekend everyone.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Arc
    mcgruff10 said:

rummy said:

tbergs said:

rummy said:

MedozK said:

PJNB said:

yep
    Release for the win!
    Matt,
    what is your guess for winner this round?
    I'm going I am mine for the win!
    Given that Light Years was the Binaural champion, I think I Am Mine is a very good bet to win this one - it's also one of my favourites from the album, even if it was the (minor) hit single and not a deeper cut from Riot Act.

Speaking of singles, I'm also a sucker for Save You, which I know some don't like as it might be a bit inferior to similar rock out tunes from the nineties (eg, Hail Hail, Brain of J, etc.). However, I definitely prefer it to the faster tracks on Binaural.

After that, I really like the songs that they ended up playing at the Benaroya Hall show. However, I also prefer those versions to the ones on Riot Act.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    Arc
    mcgruff10 said:

rummy said:

tbergs said:

rummy said:

MedozK said:

PJNB said:

yep
    Release for the win!
    Matt,
    Release, black, alive.....it's like which one of your kids do you like the most? All three are amazing songs live and studio. I never really connected with black like the masses so I enjoy release more although the way McCready elevates black at the end is mind boggling. Happy weekend everyone.
    Tough call for me to rank Release vs Alive (Black is great but definitely sits in my #3 spot behind the other two). I've loved Alive for 25 years now but ever since I got into the band's live music in 2011 (I know, what took me so long???) Release has become one of my absolute favourites - and a song I've yet to experience in person (again, my own "fault" for missing out on some of those mid-2000s Toronto shows where it opened a couple of times).
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Arc
    derbydave said:

Maybe not...
    Arc is a great tribute. Reminds of a very Neil Young-type song, much like Life Wasted (Reprise). My favorite three from Riot Act are: I Am Mine, Love Boat Captain and Cropduster. Hope one of them is crowned champ.
  • Options
    Arc

derbydave said:

Maybe not...
    Arc is a great tribute. Reminds of a very Neil Young-type song, much like Life Wasted (Reprise). My favorite three from Riot Act are: I Am Mine, Love Boat Captain and Cropduster. Hope one of them is crowned champ.
    Would say your biggest chance there is I Am Mine.

My bet is I am mine or all or none winning. Or maybe thumbing my way.
This discussion has been closed.