The video game thread.

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244

13 is definitely the magic number to pull the Master Sword. I had 13 exactly and it broke free on the last 1/4 heart. Has to be red hearts, too. You can't cheat the system by using the yellow ones.

The Master Sword itself isn't that great out in the open. Only has 30 attack power. And while it is a permanent weapon and doesn't break, per se, it will "lose energy" after so many hits and takes 10 minutes to recharge before you can equip it again (similar to the Hyrule Champion abilities). However, when you're around malice (the black & pink goo), it doubles to 60 attack and does not lose energy at all. You can go to Hyrule castle and just beat the shit out of things & never have to change weapons. So while there are definitely stronger, more durable weapons in the open, you really can't go wrong with it if there's malice nearby. I honestly don't mind using it in the open, though, because it frees you up from having to use your other breakable weapons so much.

That Korok trial where they give you the wood weapons, they're actually pretty durable and should all last the entire trial. And you get to keep them after the trial is over. I still mostly used remote bombs when I could so as not to wear down durability.

I defeated the divine beast Vah Medoh over the weekend. The bird one. The whole thing was incredibly easy. Much easier to tame the beast, much easier to solve the dungeon (all it does it tilt from one side to the other, no rotating parts, no upside down shit you gotta flip over, no manipulating things in one room to make things in the other room line up, etc.), and Windblight Ganon was a pushover.

As of now I'm at 66 shrines, 2 divine beasts w/ a 3rd one down, 5 or 6 memories, 16 hearts, 2 full stamina wheels, and about 100 Korok seeds.

I"m inside my second divine beast now. The one in the desert. Doesn't seem too tough so far. Still at around 9 hearts.
    jervin007 said:

Anyone having issues with their PS4's? Mine has had trouble loading all day. I heard a new update is available that is messing with the system, but when I try to download it gives me an error message saying that I can't download the update. Thoughts PS4 owners?

I'll fire mine up later. I honestly haven't turned it on in some time...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited April 2017
    mca47 said:

13 is definitely the magic number to pull the Master Sword. I had 13 exactly and it broke free on the last 1/4 heart. Has to be red hearts, too. You can't cheat the system by using the yellow ones.

The Master Sword itself isn't that great out in the open. Only has 30 attack power. And while it is a permanent weapon and doesn't break, per se, it will "lose energy" after so many hits and takes 10 minutes to recharge before you can equip it again (similar to the Hyrule Champion abilities). However, when you're around malice (the black & pink goo), it doubles to 60 attack and does not lose energy at all. You can go to Hyrule castle and just beat the shit out of things & never have to change weapons. So while there are definitely stronger, more durable weapons in the open, you really can't go wrong with it if there's malice nearby. I honestly don't mind using it in the open, though, because it frees you up from having to use your other breakable weapons so much.

That Korok trial where they give you the wood weapons, they're actually pretty durable and should all last the entire trial. And you get to keep them after the trial is over. I still mostly used remote bombs when I could so as not to wear down durability.

I defeated the divine beast Vah Medoh over the weekend. The bird one. The whole thing was incredibly easy. Much easier to tame the beast, much easier to solve the dungeon (all it does it tilt from one side to the other, no rotating parts, no upside down shit you gotta flip over, no manipulating things in one room to make things in the other room line up, etc.), and Windblight Ganon was a pushover.

As of now I'm at 66 shrines, 2 divine beasts w/ a 3rd one down, 5 or 6 memories, 16 hearts, 2 full stamina wheels, and about 100 Korok seeds.

I"m inside my second divine beast now. The one in the desert. Doesn't seem too tough so far. Still at around 9 hearts.
    Yeah that's the one I have knocked down but haven't finished yet. Thunderblight Ganon actually looks pretty tough from the one video I saw.
    74 shrines & 18 hearts now. I went exploring the Tabantha region in the northwest a couple nights ago. Did the labyrinth shrine quest in that area - that was a fun one! Also found the one in the Forgotten Temple... that one took some paragliding skill to reach. There are a bunch of stationary guardians in each room you have to go thru and they all immediately hone in on your ass! But there are a few updrafts you can glide thru to help avoid them.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    jervin007 said:

Anyone having issues with their PS4's? Mine has had trouble loading all day. I heard a new update is available that is messing with the system, but when I try to download it gives me an error message saying that I can't download the update. Thoughts PS4 owners?

I had trouble downloading the update and a few games. Tried the fix where you change your dns settings, but it's still the same basically. Downloads did seem to go longer before they errored. Hoping it lines out soon, because it's getting annoying.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    edited April 2017
    NES Classic is being discontinued.
    Edit - sorry, just saw this is being covered extensively in the NES thread ;)
    Finally got thru Vah Naboris yesterday. And Thunderblight Ganon was the toughest of the 3 I've fought so far, but I still beat him on the first try. He has a shield so you actually have to wait for him to attack and then attack back. No shooting bomb arrows from a distance to wear him down. His warp attacks are easy to block with a shield. Though I was never able to backflip & flurry rush them, I didn't take any damage with the shield up. The Master Sword made the fight a lot easier. 60 attack power!

Finally got thru Vah Naboris yesterday. And Thunderblight Ganon was the toughest of the 3 I've fought so far, but I still beat him on the first try. He has a shield so you actually have to wait for him to attack and then attack back. No shooting bomb arrows from a distance to wear him down. His warp attacks are easy to block with a shield. Though I was never able to backflip & flurry rush them, I didn't take any damage with the shield up. The Master Sword made the fight a lot easier. 60 attack power!

Yeah, I faced that guy yesterday for the first time. It didn't go well. I really didn't have the equipment, food/potions, or the heart level to keep up with him. I went in to the fight with only one, one-handed weapon. Once that broke I was pretty much done.
    Good news is that I can fast travel directly back to it once I level up a bit.
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    jervin007 said:

Had mine on last night, was fine. I have the pro tho, not sure if it makes a difference.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

mca47 said:

Yeah, I faced that guy yesterday for the first time. It didn't go well. I really didn't have the equipment, food/potions, or the heart level to keep up with him. I went in to the fight with only one, one-handed weapon. Once that broke I was pretty much done.
    Definitely put on your best armor and have a few strong weapons. Claymores are good. In his second wave of attacks, he'll drop a bunch of rods around you and hit them with lightning. When he starts doing that, use magnesis on one of the rods and raise it up to him so that he shocks himself. When he hits the ground, he'll be stunned and you can attack. His third form is identical to the first only he's fully electrified. When he attacks you, he'll knock your damn weapons out of your hand. Unless you can pull off the flurry rush (which I can't), you'll just have to wait it out until he starts Guardian-beaming your ass. When he does that, if you can't shield parry (again, I can't) just stand behind a pillar, wait for him to get near, then attack.

On a different note, I've noticed that since they patched the infinite arrow glitch (which I never used) they've also capped arrow stock from all the damn merchants, too. It used to be when I'd start running low, I'd just warp to all the stables and buy everything Beedle had. Well, since the update, Beedle hasn't restocked and none of the village shops have any, either. Apparently now you cannot buy arrows until your inventory is below 50. What a crock of shit!! Supposedly you can still venture up the road to Zora's Domain and kill all the enemies as they each drop 5x bundles (some of them drop 2 bundles) and then repeat every blood moon. But I'd rather just warp to shops and buy the damn things. I get fixing the glitch, but leave the rest of the game alone! I rely heavily on archery to get around.
    a5pj said:

jervin007 said:

Had mine on last night, was fine. I have the pro tho, not sure if it makes a difference.
    I did the update on my original PS4 over the weekend and it seems to work fine.

mca47 said:

Definitely put on your best armor and have a few strong weapons. Claymores are good. In his second wave of attacks, he'll drop a bunch of rods around you and hit them with lightning. When he starts doing that, use magnesis on one of the rods and raise it up to him so that he shocks himself. When he hits the ground, he'll be stunned and you can attack. His third form is identical to the first only he's fully electrified. When he attacks you, he'll knock your damn weapons out of your hand. Unless you can pull off the flurry rush (which I can't), you'll just have to wait it out until he starts Guardian-beaming your ass. When he does that, if you can't shield parry (again, I can't) just stand behind a pillar, wait for him to get near, then attack.

On a different note, I've noticed that since they patched the infinite arrow glitch (which I never used) they've also capped arrow stock from all the damn merchants, too. It used to be when I'd start running low, I'd just warp to all the stables and buy everything Beedle had. Well, since the update, Beedle hasn't restocked and none of the village shops have any, either. Apparently now you cannot buy arrows until your inventory is below 50. What a crock of shit!! Supposedly you can still venture up the road to Zora's Domain and kill all the enemies as they each drop 5x bundles (some of them drop 2 bundles) and then repeat every blood moon. But I'd rather just warp to shops and buy the damn things. I get fixing the glitch, but leave the rest of the game alone! I rely heavily on archery to get around.
    Didn't know that! Good to know!
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    mca47 said:

a5pj said:

jervin007 said:

I did the update on my original PS4 over the weekend and it seems to work fine.
    Seems like it was a temporary thing. Was able to install the update yesterday. Working fine now!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Mine came out of it too. Must've been something with the new update.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    jervin007 said:

My PS4 has been working perfectly normal since the new update. Was just playing MLB the show 17 bout an hour ago and everything was normal. I would maybe contact PS4 or check your WiFi signal. I know this post is 5 days old, so hopefully you got it sorted out.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Got the hardcover strategy guide for Breath of the Wild. No kidding, it's a freakin coffee table book!!
    Spent a couple of hours hunting down some shrines last night. Figure before I do much else, I should get my hearts up a bit.
    I did manage to find a number of quality weapons while shrine hunting too! Woohoo!

Got the hardcover strategy guide for Breath of the Wild. No kidding, it's a freakin coffee table book!!

That's awesome!
    mca47 said:

That's awesome!
    It's pretty in depth, to say the least. I really like how they sectioned the book. There's a general info section, a main objective walkthrough, a section on shrines which is sub-sectioned by tower region, a section on sidequests, a full compendium, a recipe guide, etc. Done very logically and anything that needs cross-referenced to another section is clearly marked. For $1 more than the paperback version & free shipping on Prime, I highly recommend picking it up! I had a $25 Amazon gift card, so I ended up paying 43 cents for it!
    Oh you get a nice 24x36 dual-sided, fold-out map, too. One side has all the towers & shrines marked, the other has the sidequests, Koroks, & other points of interest.
    Yeah, I might check that out. I do want to beat it without help first. Then maybe on a second go-through I'll use that.
    Yeah, I do my best to accomplish things without assistance. And for the most part I have. But every once in a while my shrine radar just keeps going off despite me covering 110% of the area and not being able to find it. After about an hour of going "where the hell?!?" I just say fuck it and look it up. :lol:

Yeah, I do my best to accomplish things without assistance. And for the most part I have. But every once in a while my shrine radar just keeps going off despite me covering 110% of the area and not being able to find it. After about an hour of going "where the hell?!?" I just say fuck it and look it up. :lol:

Yeah, i've done that twice now. Radar going off, covered the entire fn area...even climbed to the top of cliffs to I could look around...and nothing. Had to look those two up. One was well hidden and another I climbed up to look around and it was basically right behind me. Ugh! hahaha
    Got all 4 divine beasts now. Defeated Vah Rudania last night (the lizard) and beat Fireblight Ganon on the first try. The dungeon was pretty simple. The whole thing rotates 90 degrees, that's it. It was a little tricky at first before getting the map, as it's pitch black inside and you have to carry a blue flame. But it's not difficult to find your way. The boss fight wasn't bad at all. First form is the typical throw elementals and melee attacks. All easy to defend & counter. The second form took me a minite to figure out. He throws a giant fireball at you and moves to another area, leaving no room for attack. But while he's building it up, he's sucking in air. Throw a remote bomb and when he swallows it up, boom! Then he'll fall to the ground stunned and you can attack.

All I have left for main quests is getting all the memories (I have 7 remaining) and defeating Ganon. Have 30 shrines left and a bunch of side quests, most are Gerudo & Goron related.
    Nice man! What are you going to do when it's all over? I still have a long way to go!
    In other news...Mario Kart comes out soon!!!

We should get some message board matches set up!
    mca47 said:

Nice man! What are you going to do when it's all over? I still have a long way to go!

Ya know, I haven't even thought of that. By that time summer will be in full swing, so I'll probably just get out of the house, haha!!

In the meantime, I do want to complete all the shrines and finish up the sidequests. I'm starting to have trouble finding shrines, though. I'd like to get more complete armor sets and upgrade them all, which will take a good bit of grinding. Not interested in getting EVERY piece of armor, but the ones I already have, I'd like to get the missing pieces and upgrade the sets. I might actually make that my current project, that way I have objectives to come back to later.

I also finished up the sidequest where you buy the house (which in turn opens the Tarreytown sidequest) and got all the upgrades. Pretty cool having a place to store really awesome/rare weapons and a free place to sleep.
    Definitely gonna get Mario Kart, but not on release day. Gonna wait til my birthday in a couple weeks.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn on PS4. Love this game. Also just picked up Dark Souls III Complete Edition. I have never played these games and have heard how hard they can be. I've been gaming for a long time so I feel as though I need test my skills. Heard you die a lot. Time to find out.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    edited April 2017
    jervin007 said:

Been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn on PS4. Love this game. Also just picked up Dark Souls III Complete Edition. I have never played these games and have heard how hard they can be. I've been gaming for a long time so I feel as though I need test my skills. Heard you die a lot. Time to find out.

Below is a link to some good starter tips for Dark Souls 3. I would suggest being a sorcerer because you have a staff that shoots magic. This makes the early game a lot easier because you can pick enemies off from a distance. And it will give you time to figure out how to fight with weapons.

There is this monk early in the game that is pretty tough, but with the staff he is a sitting duck and he drops a katana called Uchigatana that I still use at level 70.

kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-dark-souls-3-1770600428
    jervin007 said:

I need to pick up Horizon. I've heard nothing but good things. I also want to pick up The Show '17. The older I get, the harder it is to find time to play these games and beat them.
    Still never beat Dark Souls 3. I probably will have to restart that one. Odds are I left off at a really fn hard spot and going in having not played it in a long time, it won't be good! hahaha!

Not doing anything until I beat Zelda though. I hate not finishing games!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I too have problems finding time. I've got Dark Souls, Zelda, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Hit man, Metal Gear and a ton of other games. Problem is I forget the effing controls if I go over a month without playing. That is why I'm looking forward to Mario Kart.