fiona apple

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
edited January 2008 in Other Music
this chick can sing! love her album 'extraordinary machine.' just recently got into her stuff. it's a shame that she isn't as popular as people such as amy winehouse, because she's as talented, if not more. There's a level of complexity in her music that's rare to such a style. prolly why i never hear her on the radio, because it's actually good.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
2018 Boston I, Boston II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 Boston I, Boston II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Fiona fucking rocks, and I've been singing her praises for a while now. Get "When The Pawn..." That album will blow your socks off.

Saw her live in 05 and she was incredible.
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Extraordinary Machine was one of the best albums of 2005. I wish I could have seen her with Nickel Creek. Anyone know if she has any plans for another album?
  • adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    She's hot...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    When The Pawn Hits.... is my favorite of her CDs.
    Extraordinary Machine is solid as well.

her debut Tidal was a major hit. She was actually 19 when that CD came out. Incredible talent.

I think she likes staying in the indie scene rather than the mainstream.
    that probably she's not trying to be a junkie like Whinehouse.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Yes, she is hot.

Have no clue about a new album. She likes to take her fucking time between these things.

Also, if you like Fiona...check out Regina Spektor. Dat girl s awsum.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    The chick has talent, this it's what she said about her mainstream sucessr on Criminal video:

Apple said: "The shit that got me popular was the stuff that I was not proud of ... I wanted to be like every other girl you see in videos, and that's why it's embarrassing. But the way that I justified [the treatment] is that the song is about someone talking to God about a mistake they've been making ..

her song Fast as you can it's something extraodinary
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    this chick can sing! love her album 'extraordinary machine.' just recently got into her stuff. it's a shame that she isn't as popular as people such as amy winehouse, because she's as talented, if not more. There's a level of complexity in her music that's rare to such a style. prolly why i never hear her on the radio, because it's actually good.
    Extraordinary Machine is probably my fav of her CDs. The lady's just this shy of brilliant with her incredibly quirky way with words and phrasing. Not to mention musicianship.

EM was also on my list for top albums of 2005. Excellent call, allornone.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • This will sound sexist, which it probably is, but everything i've ever heard from her, I've thought as terrific. But I can't seem to bring myself to buy one of her albums because it's a girl singing. I love the fact that women sing and rock out, don't get me wrong, but I just can't listen to it that much. But of all the girls singing out there, Fiona is definitely my favorite
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • this chick can sing! love her album 'extraordinary machine.' just recently got into her stuff. it's a shame that she isn't as popular as people such as amy winehouse, because she's as talented, if not more. There's a level of complexity in her music that's rare to such a style. prolly why i never hear her on the radio, because it's actually good.

The reason she isn't more popular is because the public has no fucking taste.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • This will sound sexist, which it probably is, but everything i've ever heard from her, I've thought as terrific. But I can't seem to bring myself to buy one of her albums because it's a girl singing. I love the fact that women sing and rock out, don't get me wrong, but I just can't listen to it that much. But of all the girls singing out there, Fiona is definitely my favorite

youre missing some good music. a girls voice sometimes just sounds better, and for me is usually more relaxing. im not a big fan of fiona. but there are some female artist that i think are as important music as any guy. ani difranco is the closest thing the 90's and after has had to a 'bob dylan' and her voice is just angelic.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    tonadax wrote:
    The chick has talent, this it's what she said about her mainstream sucessr on Criminal video:

Apple said: "The shit that got me popular was the stuff that I was not proud of ... I wanted to be like every other girl you see in videos, and that's why it's embarrassing. But the way that I justified [the treatment] is that the song is about someone talking to God about a mistake they've been making ..

On The Work of Director Mark Romaneck DVD, she does commentary for Criminal. She said at the time she "got so much shit" for doing that video, but now she's OK with it. She admits that she's surprised she's not crying while watching it as well.

Fiona is one of those people I would just love to hang out with for a day, just to listen to her talk about stuff. She is one of my favorite female artists.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • zircona1 wrote:
    On The Work of Director Mark Romaneck DVD, she does commentary for Criminal. She said at the time she "got so much shit" for doing that video, but now she's OK with it. She admits that she's surprised she's not crying while watching it as well.

Fiona is one of those people I would just love to hang out with for a day, just to listen to her talk about stuff. She is one of my favorite female artists.

Did you see her and Tarentino on "Iconoclasts"? Awesome show, check it out.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Did you see her and Tarentino on "Iconoclasts"? Awesome show, check it out.

No I don't get cable, but I found the show's site thru Google and the episode, I'll watch it at home (where I have sound).

Thanks!
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    Fiona Apple's 'Tidal' is being issued on vinyl for the first time ever via Vinyl Me, Please's Record of the Month for May. If you're interested in getting it, you can get a $10 VMP store credit by signing up here: http://fbuy.me/eM55k

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    getting a 500 server error on all vmp coupon links
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.

getting a 500 server error on all vmp coupon links

I think their server's overloaded. If you're interested, I can also send it via email so you have it once they're back up.
    edited April 2017
    kasedoug said:

Fiona Apple's 'Tidal' is being issued on vinyl for the first time ever via Vinyl Me, Please's Record of the Month for May. If you're interested in getting it, you can get a $10 VMP store credit by signing up here: http://fbuy.me/eM55k

Vinyl Me, Please's site is back up and running for anyone interested in getting Tidal on vinyl.
    Post edited by kasedoug on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    kasedoug said:

kasedoug said:

Vinyl Me, Please's site is back up and running for anyone interested in getting Tidal on vinyl.
    I LOVED this album when it came out.
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    is there anyway you can get the vinyl only without subscribing? or subscribe just for this issue?
    Yarden said:

is there anyway you can get the vinyl only without subscribing? or subscribe just for this issue?

Yes, just sign up for a single month. You'll have to set yourself a reminder to cancel before the following month so you don't get hit with the renewal. The next month's record is announced before the renewal hits.
    The referral I posted above can help you save $10 as well.
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    kasedoug said:

Yarden said:

Yes, just sign up for a single month. You'll have to set yourself a reminder to cancel before the following month so you don't get hit with the renewal. The next month's record is announced before the renewal hits.
    The referral I posted above can help you save $10 as well.
    thanks!
  • Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    Fiona Apple is superb - The original version of Extraordinary Machine which the record label 'kept hostage' was even better, if that can still be found online anywhere.
    I think the last thing I heard from her was an anti-Trump song she put out in a video for the Women's March back in January.
    Which was kinda cool, but probably better discussed over on the moving train.
    If you're looking to sign up on a single month basis just to get 'Tidal,' act fast before that level sells out. $10 VMP credit towards your subscription if you use this referral: http://fbuy.me/eM55k

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Fuck
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM