R.E.M - Where to start?

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    OK R.E.M. fans, I have to ask it- any chance of a reunion, casual get-together gig, benefit gig, anything like that? I doubt a reunion (plenty of interview footage to support that unlikelihood) but a brief anything would be... well, great, I would hope. Probably just wishful thinking but...?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    This is just my guess/opinion, but I'd say while it's possible they will all 4 (including Bill Berry) end up on some stage together perfomring, maybe even an REM song or 2, it will NOT be announced ahead of time. It'll either happen organically or they'll plan it secretly and spring it on people. Can't see them actually announcing a reunion. And definitely not a reunion tour, sadly....

I'm still devastated I missed their induction into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame back in, I dunno what year but pretty sure it was after they announced their breakup. Definitellly after their last tour in '08. They performed at that, including Bill Berry, and I lived in Atlanta then. Knew about it but couldn't get there to devise a way in.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:

OK R.E.M. fans, I have to ask it- any chance of a reunion, casual get-together gig, benefit gig, anything like that? I doubt a reunion (plenty of interview footage to support that unlikelihood) but a brief anything would be... well, great, I would hope. Probably just wishful thinking but...?

I follow Mills on twitter, and someone recently asked him why they will never reunite, and he replied, and I'm paraphrasing, "it's been talked about ad nauseum"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755

brianlux said:

I follow Mills on twitter, and someone recently asked him why they will never reunite, and he replied, and I'm paraphrasing, "it's been talked about ad nauseum"
    I saw that Mike comment as well. There's a side of me that says they'll do a one off gig or something down the road but I can't think of anything more R.E.M. than to say they're done and never look back.

edited April 2017
    Like all R.E.M. fans, I wish they would give it a shot. When I think about all the bands that have re-united it seems to me the mediocre ones stayed mediocre (I won't mention names because I don't like to disparage any musician or band) but the good ones often stayed good or got better. Two cases in point: Mission of Burma after a 17 year hiatus and Dinosaur Jr who reformed intact after a 16 year break up. Now if R.E.M. were to follow suit, they might be able to do the same. Major difference though is that R.E.M.were consecutively together much longer than Burma and Dino and a 16 or 17 year gap would mean waiting another 9 or 10 years. Bummer!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Made me think of this article, which comes to the conclusion that R.E.M. is the most consistently great band ever.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    I've avoided posting in this thread because I just can't answer the OP's question! Without being too fanboy I honestly don't think it matters where you start with R.E.M. because I don't think they made a bad record. Of course some records are better than others but I could randomly pick any album of theirs with my eyes shut and find a reason to recommend it. Even 'Around The Sun', which the band hated, has got Leaving New York, Final Straw, Boy in the Well, and The Outsiders (I prefer the Stipe version to the Q-Tip one).

As others have said, the most rewarding way would be to start at the start and work through chronologically, enjoying their evolution. Then move onto their b-sides and Christmas singles (even more rewarding than PJ's to me)

To follow Brian's point, I would love it if they got back together somewhere down the line, as long as it was for the right reasons and not just a cash in. It would be awesome if it was sudden and unexpected, kinda like their break up. Gone one minute, back with a new record the next.
    There's a thread on The Porch asking if you'd be satisfied if PJ didn't release any more records. A lot of people have said "as long as they still toured..." I think the opposite is true of R.E.M. As great as they are live I'd be happier if they released new records but didn't tour.

I only got to see them live twice, in 1995 and 2005, both in Cardiff. The 2005 show was supposed to be the last show of the UK tour, but the London show was postponed until the following week after the bombings. They still treated Cardiff like it was the last night though, and it's a great memory of the last time I'll see them on stage.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    /\ Really good post. I have always wondered what the band thought of Around the Sun. I think it's a really strong album at the core. There were some missteps on some songs and some production but I think every artist in the world wishes they could write songs like Leaving New York, Boy in the Well, Ascent of Man, and more. I feel like Electron Blue (which Michael oddly said was his favorite) and the studio version of Outsiders are the real misses. I too prefer the version with Stipe doing the rap.
    I have a family situation I've had to attend to in the last 2 weeks (father in a hospital intensive care unit 3 1/2 hours drive away from where we live (and I'm only child so only immediate family he has)). This means I've been driving a LOT because I've had to go back and forth a lot. After listening to the last 2 Radiohead albums several times (cuz I hadn't heard In Rainbows or Moon Shaped Pool many times), I thought of this thread and decided to take my own advice and the advice of several here and start with the 1st REM album and work my way through the entire catalogue. On Life's Rich Pageant now, and though it's for sad reasons, looking forward to continuing my journey through every single album, one at a time. Also bringing back many great memories of seeing them live and various REM adventures.

Actually stunning how many incredible songs the one band has. Going to read the article someone posted above soon, on them maybe being the most consistently fantastic band ever. Thanks for posting!
    JH6056 said:

I have a family situation I've had to attend to in the last 2 weeks (father in a hospital intensive care unit 3 1/2 hours drive away from where we live (and I'm only child so only immediate family he has)). This means I've been driving a LOT because I've had to go back and forth a lot. After listening to the last 2 Radiohead albums several times (cuz I hadn't heard In Rainbows or Moon Shaped Pool many times), I thought of this thread and decided to take my own advice and the advice of several here and start with the 1st REM album and work my way through the entire catalogue. On Life's Rich Pageant now, and though it's for sad reasons, looking forward to continuing my journey through every single album, one at a time. Also bringing back many great memories of seeing them live and various REM adventures.

Actually stunning how many incredible songs the one band has. Going to read the article someone posted above soon, on them maybe being the most consistently fantastic band ever. Thanks for posting!

Very cool, JH. You're in for a great ride going through all those amazing records.

More importantly, best wishes for your father. I hope he's doing OK. Wishing you safe trips back and forth as well.

• I am pretty confident they will reunite to perform in some manner.
    The key factor is, they are all still friends and communicate with one another. In the past 6 months or so, Stipe has confirmed this and has stated that he would like to make music again. The only challenging part is that they live in different parts of the country.
    Seeing Stipe and Miles go on various talk shows (in the US and abroad) is making me think that its more of a possibility than it was in 2012.
    Brianlux thanks for your good wishes for my dad. He's slowly improving but still in intensive care and still has a long way to go.

Bluesuedeitzrad I really hope you're right about a reunion being more possible than we think! Where have you heard Stipe confirm he'd like to make music again? And did he say with members of REM or it was more general?

Either way that's great news, I'd love to know where he said it so I can check it out and squee appropriately :)
    JH6056 said:

Brianlux thanks for your good wishes for my dad. He's slowly improving but still in intensive care and still has a long way to go.

Bluesuedeitzrad I really hope you're right about a reunion being more possible than we think! Where have you heard Stipe confirm he'd like to make music again? And did he say with members of REM or it was more general?

Either way that's great news, I'd love to know where he said it so I can check it out and squee appropriately :)

I also saw in an article or online that he expressed an interest in returning to music, but it was as vague as it sounds. possibly solo, who knows.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I believe I read that Stipe was working on solo material to coincide with some other form of release. Like it was for a movie or something.
    from wikipedia:

In June 2014, it was reported that Stipe had created the soundtrack for The Cold Lands, a film by Stipe's friend, director Tom Gilroy.[21]
    http://www.nme.com/news/michael-stipe/77708

On March 15, 2017, it was announced that he would debut his first solo composition at Moogfest.[22]
    http://pitchfork.com/news/72241-michael-stipe-to-debut-new-solo-composition-at-moogfest/
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

here's where it is stated (6 years ago) that the band will "never reunite".

http://www.nme.com/news/music/various-artists-3380-1280276
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited April 2017
    In following some of the links above, I found this brief interview with Bill Berry. It was a pleasure to read, and I feel very fortunate that given that he was called by some "REM's true Man of Mystery" because of his avoidance of attention and publicity, I feel incredibly lucky that I got to speak to him many times. I found him to be absolutely lovely. Great article. Would love to hear "Radio Catfink"! :)

http://onlineathens.com/rem-hall/stories/berry.shtml

It also reminds me that when I've had the chance, if I'm going to give something to an artist that I really respect I try to think of something that would mean something to them. Right around the time that this Rolling Stone cover came out, I gave Bill the gift of a pin to put on this same hat. And he put it on, I saw him wear it, which I was sooooo excited about! But I never had the nerve to ask for a photo of him with it, since I knew how much he hated photos and all. But reading that made me dig up this photo, great memory.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rem+cover+rolling+stone&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpysDohq_TAhVrs1QKHR_8CFgQ_AUIBygC&biw=1094&bih=438&dpr=1.25#imgrc=vdzN80mNTGN0wM:
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    This last drive it was Document all the way through twice. Been a LONG time since I listened to the whole album, what a pleasure to re-discover songs like Lightning Hopkins, King of Birds... even Exhuming McCarthy which I don't think I liked that much at first back when it came out.

And then one listen through Green... World Leader Pretend, You Are the Everything, Turn You Inside Out... so much awesomeness!
    JH6056 said:

This last drive it was Document all the way through twice. Been a LONG time since I listened to the whole album, what a pleasure to re-discover songs like Lightning Hopkins, King of Birds... even Exhuming McCarthy which I don't think I liked that much at first back when it came out.

And then one listen through Green... World Leader Pretend, You Are the Everything, Turn You Inside Out... so much awesomeness!

Just reading this brings those songs back! Been a while for me too- might just give some of those songs a spin this evening!

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited April 2017
    I LOVE THIS THREAD!
    the world needs more REM!!

last year I met up with an old girlfriend and her sister happened to be at her house.
    I hadn't seen her in almost 15 years.... the first thing she said was "I remember you were obsessed with REM". :lol:
    Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

I LOVE THIS THREAD!

last year I met up with an old girlfriend and her sister happened to be at her house.
    I hadn't seen her in almost 15 years.... the first thing she said was "I remember you were obsessed with REM". :lol:

Can never have to much R.E.M.!

Check out this early acoustic "Driver 8" I used to play my rendition of this song for my folks. My father (who is named Ray) asked me one time, "So who is this Driver Ray anyway?" Big lesson in enunciation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjX7udu1SxE

brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

I LOVE THIS THREAD!

Check out this early acoustic "Driver 8" I used to play my rendition of this song for my folks. My father (who is named Ray) asked me one time, "So who is this Driver Ray anyway?" Big lesson in enunciation!

Great video Brian, i hadn't seen that one before. They all look so young!

(Tim Rogers)
    I've always loved this Bridge School version of Country Feedback because it combines 2 of my favourite things - R.E.M and Uncle Neil!
    There's one bum note from Michael about 6 minutes in that stops it being the perfect version for me (personally I think the Jools Holland performance may be a better vocal), but Neil plays some really beautiful solos on this one

https://youtu.be/Z4VfQBDoX6E

I also really love the look on Michael's face when he's watching Neil (about 1:18 into the video)

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

I LOVE THIS THREAD!

For sure, especially Mike Mills. He looks like he's about 14! It's hard to imagine sometimes that these guys were just college kids when they started. And wasn't that just a few years ago?!

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    brianlux said:

goldrush said:

brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

I LOVE THIS THREAD!

For sure, especially Mike Mills. He looks like he's about 14! It's hard to imagine sometimes that these guys were just college kids when they started. And wasn't that just a few years ago?!
    I love that session. I remember I had it on some DVD.... IRS (the early years) or something to that effect.
    the interviews on that are hilarious. the band hanging out with some inner city youth in California somewhere. Stipe talking about Michael Jackson and Peter Buck listing all the cool underground bands at the time. most went on to become "legends" Husker Du, Meat Puppets, etc.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Collapse Into Now has just finished playing, and it reminded me that I posted this quote from "Blue" on my Tumblr and FB pages a while ago.

(Tim Rogers)
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    According to REM's Twitter account Automatic for the People is getting a proper reissue this fall. Finally!!!
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    25th anniversary repress of Automatic For the People.

https://store.remhq.com/products/automatic-for-the-people-25th-anniversary-vinyl
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    And a sweet deluxe reissue! Wonder if the remixed SACD will be a part of it?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I bought a copy of Automatic from Soundstage a couple years ago. Details are fuzzy. Idk if it's some bootleg version or a legit foreign release.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.