Poll--The Weakest Link: Binaural Champion - Light Years

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited April 2017 in The Porch
CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND
Evacuation, Soon Forget and Rival eliminated in Round 1.
God's Dice, Sleight of Hand and Breakerfall eliminated in Round 2.
Thin Air, Parting Ways and Nothing As It Seems eliminated in Round 3.
Of The Girl and Grievance eliminated in Round 4.

Again, you are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" from the remaining list after a couple days the song with the fewest votes will be crowned CHAMPION.

The poll will close on Friday (4/21) at 2:40pm cst.

Poll--The Weakest Link: Binaural Champion - Light Years 135 votes

Light Years
46%
Riot_MacOceansJennyjeffbrintodeepigotid88evenflow82releaseNY2-feign-reluctancejdopjspnoonebootlegger10sachtriva5pjSpiritual_ChaosPurex37mookieblalockgoldrushlolobuggmfc2006PurduePete55 63 votes
Insignificance
53%
CantKeepmedownledveddermanmcgruff10NewJPageski-bumdrummerboy_73AndoBEnglish017pjpitt89104 years and countingtunodamaipearljimlogan5iveRoelanddannyNamicutzRoeghmannPeasant TentsBMo-643 72 votes
Post edited by MedozK on

Comments

• thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Light Years
    Go Insignificance!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Insignificance
    Dirty, remember you are voting for the weakest song, so don't vote for your favorite song. Got it? This is only the 25th time we've done this.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Light Years
    Light Years the winner...?

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Light Years
    How did we get to these two?
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Light Years
    This was by far the weirdest album for these polls.
    Certainly a testament to how good all the songs are.
  • Insignificance
    Jbarker said:

agreed
    Light Years
    I'm getting ready to eliminate "Arc" on Riot Act...
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Insignificance
    I remember when I first starting listening to Binaural and thinking how Light Years and Insignificance were the two most "catchy" (not too sure if that's the right word) of all the tracks. Admittedly, I like others better now but these two were probably the most "immediate" songs.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Insignificance
    Both my favorite songs from this album, but I have to go with Light Years.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Insignificance

I'm getting ready to eliminate "Arc" on Riot Act...

Lol
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Insignificance
    Jbarker said:

This. And Insignificance deserves credit for being what seems to me like the most long shot finalist. I get where it kind of feels like "the hit" from this record, but for me, it's just never been that. Maybe that's the beauty of Binaural. It's almost like there shouldn't be a single. Like these songs shouldn't exist individually, only as a part of this album.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited April 2017
    Insignificance
    NAIS for the win>LOL
    Post edited by cutz on
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Insignificance

Jbarker said:

This. And Insignificance deserves credit for being what seems to me like the most long shot finalist. I get where it kind of feels like "the hit" from this record, but for me, it's just never been that. Maybe that's the beauty of Binaural. It's almost like there shouldn't be a single. Like these songs shouldn't exist individually, only as a part of this album.
    Ah yes, the Kid A approach. I can agree to that.

I also agree with the poster who said these two songs were the most immediate upon first listen.

God damn Binaural is amazing.
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    Insignificance
    Easy choice. Light Years is top 7-8 for me
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    Insignificance
    MedozK said:

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND
    Evacuation, Soon Forget and Rival eliminated in Round 1.
    God's Dice, Sleight of Hand and Breakerfall eliminated in Round 2.
    Thin Air, Parting Ways and Nothing As It Seems eliminated in Round 3.
    Of The Girl and Grievance eliminated in Round 4.

Again, you are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" from the remaining list after a couple days the song with the fewest votes will be crowned CHAMPION.

The poll will close on Friday (4/21) at 2:40pm cst.

Weird I was just thinking about light years not 5 min ago since my friend from work just lost her husband last night. So sad
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • Light Years
    mcgruff10 said:

Dirty, remember you are voting for the weakest song, so don't vote for your favorite song. Got it? This is only the 25th time we've done this.

Lol

I picked. This was my 1st strategic vote. It was an anger vote. A vote spawned from mild disappointment.

Neither of these songs is the best two from this album IMO. They're not even in the top five for me. I knew this stretch of albums was going to be interesting and... interesting is what we have.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Light Years
    Bombs dropping down....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Light Years
    well, this one sucked. love them both.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Light Years
    Love Binaural start to finish but Light Years would've been my first to go.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Insignificance
    Well I've voted for Insignificance 3 times in a row. Here's to hoping the third times a charm!
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Light Years
    The only vote I was able to bring myself to cast for this record.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    edited April 2017
    Insignificance
    I like Light Years but it's not the best song on this album. Assuming the voting stays as is, it will be a strong contender for my first round vote when we get to the Champions poll.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Light Years
    Damn hard choice, these two. I voted simply for the one that I have on heaviest rotation.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Insignificance
    Not what I expected...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Light Years
    Grievance or Sleight of Hand should've won.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Insignificance
    The studio recording of Light Years is phenomenal and when they play it in concert the band makes awesome dedications.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    Light Years

The studio recording of Light Years is phenomenal and when they play it in concert the band makes awesome dedications.

True but imo it's played too fast live now. Also, maybe Im risking being cold-hearted, but I feel like there is a point when there are too many sad dedications. Imo insignificance is a better song anyway and is the only one to rival :smile: Breakerfall for the win. In general I favor heavy, rocking songs.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Light Years

True but imo it's played too fast live now. Also, maybe Im risking being cold-hearted, but I feel like there is a point when there are too many sad dedications. Imo insignificance is a better song anyway and is the only one to rival :smile: Breakerfall for the win. In general I favor heavy, rocking songs.
    Agree on the dedications. It means a lot to the people in the room which is great though.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Insignificance

There's no way SOH is the best song on the album. It's not accessible to a common listener, acquired tastes are good for those who have acquired them, but they don't compare to the universally accepted greats.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited April 2017
    Light Years
    rgambs said:

There's no way SOH is the best song on the album. It's not accessible to a common listener, acquired tastes are good for those who have acquired them, but they don't compare to the universally accepted greats.
    Most common doesn't always mean best.
This discussion has been closed.