A Pearl Jam residency in Seattle?

Comments

• EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 684
    mcgruff10 said:

Lukin66 said:

mcgruff10 said:

is the key arena in downtown? (i'm thinking right next to safeco for some reason)

It's on the other side of town, right under the Space Needle. I wasn't too invested in this as I am not a huge baskeball/hockey fan, but I would honestly prefer to move the location entirely, regardless of a PJ residency. The Key is a pain in the ass to get to from the freeway, especially with all the construction going on in the SLU/Mercer area.
    is parking an issue?
    and is the sound muddled? too much echo?
    Yes and yes. Parking is a mess. Sound is terrible.
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 684
    jeffbr said:

Olivavu said:
    Runnin' with the devil.

Anyway, the two Key Arena renovation proposal groups have begun battling against each other, and the reality is that neither properly addresses bringing the Sonics and hockey to Seattle. The Mayor and the City Council are wacky, and are fixated on renovating Key Arena even though there is already an investor group who for years has had the money, the will and the ability to privately fund a new sports arena. The majority of voters are happy with that 3rd plan (which was actually the 1st plan), which is to build a privately funded sports arena in a more appropriate location (near the stadium and ballpark), with backers who already have relationships with the sports leagues and have been in talks for franchises for some time. The Oak View Group's plan, which is the PJ plan, is the worst of the 3 in terms of needing public bonds, no emphasis on sports, etc... I just don't see that it will have any real traction beyond 10c/PJ fans, and perhaps the city. There are 2 outsider groups fulfilling the city administration's hopes of a Key renovation, and a local group of investors supported by local athletes and the majority of sports fans (and non-sports fans who don't want public money spent on a new facility) proposing a new, modern arena which could also be used for music, but built primarily for sports. City leadership has no finger on the pulse of their constituency, and continues to swim against the tide. Hopefully they all drown at some point. The champion for the Key Arena renovation, Mayor Murray, is about to be distracted by a re-election race against a former mayor, while he's also defending himself against charges of having been a sexual predator. I don't think he'll really have the time or will to battle for the Oak View Group's plan.
    It turns out both Key Arena plans want public money now. This basically makes both dead in the water. Seattle has historically been against any public money going towards arenas for almost two decades now. This is essentially a showstopper for both proposals.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

RKCNDY said:

I like how all the east coast fans that have 50+ shows under their belt are freaking out...hey, try seeing them here on the west coast where the closest distance between venues is 3 hours.

or in central canada, where the closest distance between venues is a plane ride.
    I can fly to PDX or Spokane... though I understand what you are saying, I did a mini Canadian tour Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. That was a lot of driving for 3 shows.
    Zod said:

Considering they only played 1 show at Key Arena in 2013 (for reasons unknown), it would be cool to see them play extended dates at the venue. The article supports that they have an aversion to playing that venue right now (due to the horrible sound). Anything that gets them to play more than 1 show there every 4 or 5 years is a good thing :)

The only downside is if they start playing Key arena all the time, does that mean no Gorge shows?

Not necessarily, isn't DMB essentially dong a residency at the gorge? (I know not this year, but they've played the gorge every year for the last 10+ years, yes?)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

jeffbr said:

Olivavu said:
    Runnin' with the devil.

Anyway, the two Key Arena renovation proposal groups have begun battling against each other, and the reality is that neither properly addresses bringing the Sonics and hockey to Seattle. The Mayor and the City Council are wacky, and are fixated on renovating Key Arena even though there is already an investor group who for years has had the money, the will and the ability to privately fund a new sports arena. The majority of voters are happy with that 3rd plan (which was actually the 1st plan), which is to build a privately funded sports arena in a more appropriate location (near the stadium and ballpark), with backers who already have relationships with the sports leagues and have been in talks for franchises for some time. The Oak View Group's plan, which is the PJ plan, is the worst of the 3 in terms of needing public bonds, no emphasis on sports, etc... I just don't see that it will have any real traction beyond 10c/PJ fans, and perhaps the city. There are 2 outsider groups fulfilling the city administration's hopes of a Key renovation, and a local group of investors supported by local athletes and the majority of sports fans (and non-sports fans who don't want public money spent on a new facility) proposing a new, modern arena which could also be used for music, but built primarily for sports. City leadership has no finger on the pulse of their constituency, and continues to swim against the tide. Hopefully they all drown at some point. The champion for the Key Arena renovation, Mayor Murray, is about to be distracted by a re-election race against a former mayor, while he's also defending himself against charges of having been a sexual predator. I don't think he'll really have the time or will to battle for the Oak View Group's plan.
    It turns out both Key Arena plans want public money now. This basically makes both dead in the water. Seattle has historically been against any public money going towards arenas for almost two decades now. This is essentially a showstopper for both proposals.
    We voted no on a new baseball stadium, 3 times, then some crybaby threatened to leave, so we bought a new stadium...and he still left. We voted no 3 times on that stupid tunnel, they still pushed it through and are in the process of still building it. Back before the Kingdome was built, and even before we had an NFL team, they wanted to build the stadium and pushed it through. They finished building the Kingdome in 1972 and then in 1974 we were given an expansion NFL team.

If somebody has enough money and desire, they will build it.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 700
    edited April 2017
    Any deal made with James Dolan is sure to be a flop! Look at the Knicks!
    Post edited by dreamweaver on
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

the knicks are terrible but every single game is a sell out.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 700
    mcgruff10 said:

I don't think a Knicks game selling out has anything to do with James Dolan.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

I like how all the east coast fans that have 50+ shows under their belt are freaking out...hey, try seeing them here on the west coast where the closest distance between venues is 3 hours.

or in central canada, where the closest distance between venues is a plane ride.
    I can fly to PDX or Spokane... though I understand what you are saying, I did a mini Canadian tour Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. That was a lot of driving for 3 shows.

if there is only one reason i wish i lived in the us, and there really is only one, it's geography; if i could go drive to 8 different cities within a 200 mile radius of mine, i'd be at a show every fucking weekend. the closest canadian city that also gets shows? EIGHT HOURS AWAY.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945

if there is only one reason i wish i lived in the us, and there really is only one, it's geography; if i could go drive to 8 different cities within a 200 mile radius of mine, i'd be at a show every fucking weekend. the closest canadian city that also gets shows? EIGHT HOURS AWAY.

When I went to Chicago last year I was looking the map and all the cities/states you could drive to in a day. Here in Victoria, I've got Vancouver, Seattle within 5 hours total transportation. Portland in about 8 or 9. Calgary in 13, and maybe 14 for Edmonton.

It's really just Vancouver/Seattle that I find doable. I've been to a few concert's in portland but it's fairly far to a regular occurance. It's a shorter drive to California than it is to Alberta.. lol. It's too bad there's no concerts in Northern California. Pearl Jam live on Mount Shasta!
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Zod said:

When I went to Chicago last year I was looking the map and all the cities/states you could drive to in a day. Here in Victoria, I've got Vancouver, Seattle within 5 hours total transportation. Portland in about 8 or 9. Calgary in 13, and maybe 14 for Edmonton.

It's really just Vancouver/Seattle that I find doable. I've been to a few concert's in portland but it's fairly far to a regular occurance. It's a shorter drive to California than it is to Alberta.. lol. It's too bad there's no concerts in Northern California. Pearl Jam live on Mount Shasta!
    You live in a major city. Try living in the Maritimes :lol:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,145

mcgruff10 said:

I don't think a Knicks game selling out has anything to do with James Dolan.
    The Rangers have been pretty good
    I miss igotid88
    PJNB said:

Zod said:

Halifax is bigger than Victoria :)
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    2001 they played the Groundwork benefit with REM and others. I literally could not give away two tickets outside the venue. No takers. Managed to get press/photo passes, but had already bought tickets.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I'm not sure they sell out that many dates. Not saying anything about Seattle fans, I'm sure they are great.... but outside of nyc, this type of thing on a big and long term scale is tough. So many people have easy access to nyc, and billy joel is kind of a cheesy attraction in of himself. Seattle fans will no doubt support some shows... several... but how many? Once a month for 2 years? There will certainly be some travelers.... but IMO, it carries much less appeal than tour stops. Honestly, if they played in my hometown on the regular.... even being a PJ nerd, I do not think I would keep attending.

Also, getting into bed with people like dolan and lieweke will no doubt put the ball more out of their court. I'm sure prices will increase, and 10c ticketing will decrease. Wouldn't be shocked to see tiered pricing structure.

Im not sure I would travel to Seattle to see a residency show. I don't think I would desire to, although, I do love the city.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    MayDay10 said:

I'm not sure they sell out that many dates. Not saying anything about Seattle fans, I'm sure they are great.... but outside of nyc, this type of thing on a big and long term scale is tough. So many people have easy access to nyc, and billy joel is kind of a cheesy attraction in of himself. Seattle fans will no doubt support some shows... several... but how many? Once a month for 2 years? There will certainly be some travelers.... but IMO, it carries much less appeal than tour stops. Honestly, if they played in my hometown on the regular.... even being a PJ nerd, I do not think I would keep attending.

Also, getting into bed with people like dolan and lieweke will no doubt put the ball more out of their court. I'm sure prices will increase, and 10c ticketing will decrease. Wouldn't be shocked to see tiered pricing structure.

Im not sure I would travel to Seattle to see a residency show. I don't think I would desire to, although, I do love the city.

doubt it would be once a month. people would get bored. they'd most likely do a 4 or 5 night stand every two years or so. if they stopped touring the US, people would travel for those shows. they'd be incredibly high demand shows. and the people that would travel, would most likely try to do the entire run of shows. get all 15 posters, all 45 shirts, all headbands, and the entire collection of tour toe rings.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

MayDay10 said:

doubt it would be once a month. people would get bored. they'd most likely do a 4 or 5 night stand every two years or so. if they stopped touring the US, people would travel for those shows. they'd be incredibly high demand shows. and the people that would travel, would most likely try to do the entire run of shows. get all 15 posters, all 45 shirts, all headbands, and the entire collection of tour toe rings.
    I'm gonna need an XL toe ring...
    and do I get one for each toe or one per foot??
    You'll only be able to see them when I wear my PJ flip flops!! :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    MayDay10 said:

I was actually hooping that if they were able to secure some form a residency deal, that unlimited 10c tickets (or something close to it) would be negotiated as part of those shows

I also assume it would look nothing like Billy Joel's set up and would instead be similar to the Spectrum run of 2009... maybe yearly, maybe every other year... which of course i'm sure they would maximize merchandise opportunities for, just like we just saw @ Fenway & Wrigley last year... all without having to load up the trucks
    I expect the same. I don't think the band would want to be obligated to a single show a month. That's kind of a planning nightmare. You're stringing along your crew for a single show per month (making it hard for them to work elsewhere). You messing with your own personal lives because every month of the year your obligated to do a show.

I'd also expect the band to do a longer run of shows once a year, or every couple of of years. 4 to 7 shows in a row maybe?

Like other people have said. If PJ continues to decrease touring as they get older, people will still want to seem them place. PJ fans have already proven to be pretty mobile, so I think they could pull it off.
    edited April 2017
    travel packages... pop up shops... art conventions... 10c only events... box sets... merchandise... album releases... the options are endless

its really a no brainer for the band if they can negotiate a good deal... and it could really work out pretty nicely for the 10c fans for ticket access and pricing

we would 100% attend at least one residency run in Seattle... as a matter of fact, that's most likely the only way we're going to Seattle to see them is a multiple show run at a newer/better venue
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Any arrangement that guarantees Pearl Jam playing shows every year in North America is something I would be glad to see come about.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    mr bungle said:

Zod said:

Considering they only played 1 show at Key Arena in 2013 (for reasons unknown), it would be cool to see them play extended dates at the venue. The article supports that they have an aversion to playing that venue right now (due to the horrible sound). Anything that gets them to play more than 1 show there every 4 or 5 years is a good thing :)

The only downside is if they start playing Key arena all the time, does that mean no Gorge shows?

1 seattle show this decade so far, with no shows in sight... sucks
    I agree. I am all for a Seattle residency, but of course I live here so that's an extra perk. It's the band's hometown, so it definitely makes sense. I'd be thrilled if I didn't have to travel outside of Seattle every time I want to attend a PJ show.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
    If they one show a month like Billy. Will they have the same setlist?
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

Why would they have the same setlist?

JimmyV said:

igotid88 said:

I don't know. Just a question
    I miss igotid88
    There is zero chance they play monthly
    igotid88 said:

JimmyV said:

igotid88 said:

I don't know. Just a question
    I don't think they will have the same setlist. Or that they will play monthly. But, it's all conjecture at this point. I guess anything is possible.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Im still hoping this is a segway into "lounge act Pearl Jam". Jeff on standup bass all show long. Eddie telling us to try the veal. I'd go to the 6pm show AND the 8pm show.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Zod said:

PJNB said:

Zod said:

Halifax is a 4 hour drive from where I live and they don't get very much for big acts. The closest to me is a 6 and a half hour drive to Quebec or Boston which really isn't all that bad.
    PJNB said:

Zod said:

PJNB said:

Zod said:

Halifax is a 4 hour drive from where I live and they don't get very much for big acts. The closest to me is a 6 and a half hour drive to Quebec or Boston which really isn't all that bad.

I wasn't arguing that the maritimes weren't remote than Victoria, I was arguing that Victoria isn't a major city. It's too small. I do agree that at least we're in range of two big cities (Vancouver & Seattle) which is closer than most people in the maritimes are to a big city :)
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited April 2017
    Deleted post - irrelevant now.
    Post edited by rummy on