ISO Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

Comments

• RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    What happened? Did everyone find Jesus? Cracked a bottle of Woodford Rye tonight. Much better than the regular woodford. Went well with a Liga Privada #9 and Yield.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    RS151862 said:

What happened? Did everyone find Jesus? Cracked a bottle of Woodford Rye tonight. Much better than the regular woodford. Went well with a Liga Privada #9 and Yield.

Liga #9...nice...my usual go to (although, with bourbon, my pick of late has been Drew Estate's MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured)
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...

RS151862 said:

Liga #9...nice...my usual go to (although, with bourbon, my pick of late has been Drew Estate's MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured)
    Have you had the Templeton Rye 6 year? Is it worth the price tag or stick with the Michter's. grabbed a MUWAT Kentucky fire cured today, first time I've had one and definitely enjoying it.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022

RS151862 said:

RS151862 said:

Have you had the Templeton Rye 6 year? Is it worth the price tag or stick with the Michter's. grabbed a MUWAT Kentucky fire cured today, first time I've had one and definitely enjoying it.
    I haven't had the Templeton Rye, yet. Michter's products are solid, but I have a hard time not saying keep exploring and trying different ones...I do...and I have "too many" bourbons now, as if there is such a thing. As far as ryes go, I had a pour of Rittenhouse Rye the other night and it was quite solid.

Glad you liked the MUWAT Fire Cured...it has a flavor that one is either going to like or not like and I was reluctant to recommend it, but it is a damn good bourbon stogie.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Eddie is playing bourbon fest....
    edited April 2017

RS151862 said:

RS151862 said:

I haven't had the Templeton Rye, yet. Michter's products are solid, but I have a hard time not saying keep exploring and trying different ones...I do...and I have "too many" bourbons now, as if there is such a thing. As far as ryes go, I had a pour of Rittenhouse Rye the other night and it was quite solid.

Glad you liked the MUWAT Fire Cured...it has a flavor that one is either going to like or not like and I was reluctant to recommend it, but it is a damn good bourbon stogie.
    The MUWAT was fantastic. Drew Estates never misses, and I'm always open to other suggestions. I folded and bought the Templeton it was solid. Same mash as Michters so if you like one you'll like the other. You're not the first to recommend Ruttenhouse but I never see it on the shelf so I'll keep looking. I'm not opposed to having too many open bottles in the house.
    Post edited by RS151862 on

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Last chance.

If you are serious and want a bottle of 20yo Pappy let me know.
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2017

I wish this juice would make its way north of the border. I'm really enjoying it.
    Post edited by DavidD on
  • RS151862 said:

Basil Hayden just released its Rye here in Illinois last month. I have to say I thought it was quite quaffable with the right amount of spice to sweetness for my tastes.

Vedict: I like it!

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited April 2017
    Good thread!
    I know this is a bourbon thread, but where's the Scotch love??
    I prefer a more subtle and mellow flavour profile and I have always found bourbons to be a little bold, even to the point of oversweetness when compared to a smooth Scotch. Bourbon is great for a nice introspective glass, but if I am by the fire and going to be sipping to the point of real buzzzz, give me some Glenlivet every time. It's widely available, fairly priced, and reliably delicious.
    I had a good friend who devoted entirely too much of his relatively meager salary to getting the hardest to find and most expensive whiskey. He laid hands on a Pappy in '10 and was mildly disappointed with it. I didn't shell out a paycheck for it so I thought it was great, but I wouldn't spend like that just for the exclusivity.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 870
    rgambs said:

Good thread!

Take your scotch and get the fuck outta here!!! This is a bourbon thread!

Just kidding. I'm drunk, ironically on vodka tonight. And some norcos. Anyone got any blow?
    KC2917 said:

rgambs said:

Good thread!

Take your scotch and get the fuck outta here!!! This is a bourbon thread!

Just kidding. I'm drunk, ironically on vodka tonight. And some norcos. Anyone got any blow?
    I love this, lol^!!!
    I'm enjoying the glenmorangie original and been wanting to try there Quinta Rubin.
    But give me a bottle of glenfiddich malt master edition and I'm a happy man.
    I find I'm liking the port/rum/bourbon barrle finishes. Maybe because of all the bourbons I've been drinking lately
    Next month there is a spirit of Toronto show going on and hoping to try some new stuff there.
    edited May 2017
    Some new Canadian whiskey to look out for this September in liquor stores.  Same master distiller that does Blanton's bourbon. 

Post edited by DavidD on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    DavidD said:
    I'm enjoying the glenmorangie original and been wanting to try there Quinta Rubin. But give me a bottle of glenfiddich malt master edition and I'm a happy man. I find I'm liking the port/rum/bourbon barrle finishes. Maybe because of all the bourbons I've been drinking lately Next month there is a spirit of Toronto show going on and hoping to try some new stuff there.

Yeah, I am not a fan of Sherry cask finishes.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Sherry finishes are a lot sweeter the the others for sure. 
    Someone buy my damn Pappy bottle!
  • EJE201EJE201 Mason, MI Posts: 319
    Someone buy my damn Pappy bottle!
    I'll buy it!! but for $200 less then you are asking haha
    Let's say knowledge is a tree,
    It's growing up just like me
    $800 is too cheap...
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    So happy to see this thread exists. I am extremely new to the bourbon game but I'm having a fun ride so far. I wanted to try it becuase I'm 95% sure I'm going to see Ed solo at The Bourbon and Beyond Fest and I didn't want to feel like a complete noob. 

After a good amount of research I decided that I wanted to try Maker's Mark first. I learned about wheated bourbons being a little sweeter than the usual rye and Maker's is by far the most famous and readily available wheater. Plus I remember seeing commercials for it with the wax seal and always thought that was really cool. I went with a 375 ml bottle to start just in case I hated it. I won't lie, the first glass was tough, but each sip got a little easier and by the time I finished the bottle about a week later it was going down pretty smooth and I started to taste some of the flavors.

Next I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 101, I knew that was a little bold for a noob but I heard great things about the Wild Turkey brand but I also heard that the 81 was pretty light on flavor so I went for it. I'm having a very strange experience with this bottle so far, maybe you guys could help me understand what's going on? The first night I bought it I had 3 glasses neat, I was almost positive that I would have to add water to it becuase of the 50.5% ABV but nope, it was going down smooth and I was liking the flavor, even if I didn't quite like the rye spice flavor quite as much as the softer wheat flavor. I did start to get a little bit of a stomach ache during the 3rd glass but nothing major and the taste was still great. Then the second night I pour a glass and get nothing but alcohol burn, even in the nose I can only smell alcohol and that's after letting it sit and swirling it around a couple of times. It was painful to drink. I figured it may have been a fluke so I tried another glass a few days later and it was even worse, I even added water (a pretty good bit by the time I finished it) and nope, just tasted like watered down alcohol burn. Does it have something to do with the bottle not being as fresh as it was when I first cracked it opened? That seems far fetched considering it was only 24 hours. Is it becuase I got that little bit of a stomach ache and now my taste buds are rejecting it becuase it thinks I'll get another? I don't know, but I decided to move on from the WT bottle for now and try......

Makers 46. Holy fuck is this stuff good. I had 2 glasses last night and I'm drinking some right now. I'm getting the same great Carmel, vanilla and oak flavors that I got from the regular makers but there's more oak and there's also some butterscotch and cherry coming through nicely. It has a perfect amount of burn for me too, it's there so that I know I'm drinking bourbon but doesn't hurt too bad like the WT101 or even the regular Makers. I can really see this continuing to be one of my favorite drinks for a long time to come. Anyone else try Maker's 46? Thoughts?

Sorry for the long post. I'm really enjoying the bourbon experience so far and hopefully someday I'll be a full blown whiskey snob. But for now I'm just going to try to acclimate myself as much as possible before the festival so I can go there and really enjoy everything I'm paying for. Anyone else headed to Bourbon and Beyond?

Hey!  Are you guys (and gals) still drinking bourbon?  Second question, anyone located in/near Park City, Utah?
    ohh man! I love park city. Did some snowboarding out there a few years back. Hit up park city and snow bird. Beautifully mountains. 
    Just picked me up some E.H. Taylor small batch on Saturday. Still haven't opens it yet but it looks delicious 
    wish I could help. I'm sure someone can. 

edited July 2017
    DavidD said:
    ohh man! I love park city. Did some snowboarding out there a few years back. Hit up park city and snow bird. Beautifully mountains. 
    Just picked me up some E.H. Taylor small batch on Saturday. Still haven't opens it yet but it looks delicious 

EHT Small Batch is top notch...Enjoy!

As for Park City, High West just released a distillery-only whiskey that I am desperately ISO.  If anyone is in the area and can get their hands on a bottle or two of Valley Tan I will try and make it worth your while.
    Post edited by BRAIN0FJAY on
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,067
    edited July 2017
    Last chance. If you are seri8ous and want a bottle of 20yo Pappy let me know.
    pm'd and I'm looking to buy any bottles of Pappy anyone has available thanks!
    Post edited by whoyouare72 on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    DavidD said:

EHT Small Batch is top notch...Enjoy!

As for Park City, High West just released a distillery-only whiskey that I am desperately ISO.  If anyone is in the area and can get their hands on a bottle or two of Valley Tan I will try and make it worth your while.
    My buddy picked this up for me, any good?
    Got a bottle of the Old Forester 2017 birthday bourbon today. Was gonna crack it to celebrate Pitt's win over PSU. Then they played the game. 

RS151862 said:
    Got a bottle of the Old Forester 2017 birthday bourbon today. Was gonna crack it to celebrate Pitt's win over PSU. Then they played the game. 
    Nice score...on the bourbon.  Not so much the game.  How "readily available" is the Birthday in your neck of the woods?
    edited September 2017
    RS151862 said:
    Nice score...on the bourbon.  Not so much the game.  How "readily available" is the Birthday in your neck of the woods?
    In PA It was an online release only, won't hit shelves. Got a lucky heads up from a buddy.  I'll have to save it for when we beat Oklahoma St next week.

RS151862 said:
    RS151862 said:
    In PA It was an online release only, won't hit shelves. Got a lucky heads up from a buddy.  I'll have to save it for when we beat Oklahoma St next week.
    I got lucky last year on the 2016 Birthday when a local shop held a bottle for me.  It's damn good!  Hoping to score again this year, but I am not holding my breath.  Good luck next week.  Looking forward to your review of the 2017.
This discussion has been closed.