MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mrussel1 said:

tbergs said:

igotid88 said:

What the fuck is this 10 day DL bullshit?!

New changes this year. Like the no pitch intentional walk
    Really? So, you can now walk a better without throwing any pitches? Crazy.
    Speed up the game...
    I'm back an forth on this one. I do like that it doesn't waste the pitcher's arm by throwing 4 meaningless pitches. I like that we, the fans, don't have to sit and watch 4 meaningless pitches when we already know the result of the play. However, I don't like that it takes away the chance of a wild intentional pitch or passed ball and advancing a runner. I know that's rare, but it is an element of the game you're taking away. I don't like that they're using it as a tool to "speed up the game" when intentional walks don't occur frequently to begin with. IBB's aren't slowing down the game.
    Baseball is a chess match. If a person thinks the game is boring and needs sped up to entertain them, they're watching the wrong sport.

And I swear if they go with this runner-on-2nd in extra innings thing, my ass will be in New York with a megaphone outside MLB offices faster than you can say "strike three!"
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

mrussel1 said:

tbergs said:

igotid88 said:

Speed up the game...
    I'm back an forth on this one. I do like that it doesn't waste the pitcher's arm by throwing 4 meaningless pitches. I like that we, the fans, don't have to sit and watch 4 meaningless pitches when we already know the result of the play. However, I don't like that it takes away the chance of a wild intentional pitch or passed ball and advancing a runner. I know that's rare, but it is an element of the game you're taking away. I don't like that they're using it as a tool to "speed up the game" when intentional walks don't occur frequently to begin with. IBB's aren't slowing down the game.
    Baseball is a chess match. If a person thinks the game is boring and needs sped up to entertain them, they're watching the wrong sport.

And I swear if they go with this runner-on-2nd in extra innings thing, my ass will be in New York with a megaphone outside MLB offices faster than you can say "strike three!"
    agree with your thoughts on the intentional walk. i once saw Jayson Werth get picked off 2nd base on an intentional walk. shit happens. make them throw the 4 pitches.

the best ways to speed up the games, short of calling more strikes, is limit the trips to the mound and by god make the players stay in the damn box. how many times do i need to see a guy adjust his gloves and/or uniform after every pitch?
    The glove adjustments definitely need to go away. It's damn near every player on damn near every pitch.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    pjhawks said:

mrussel1 said:

tbergs said:

igotid88 said:

Speed up the game...

agree with your thoughts on the intentional walk. i once saw Jayson Werth get picked off 2nd base on an intentional walk. shit happens. make them throw the 4 pitches.

the best ways to speed up the games, short of calling more strikes, is limit the trips to the mound and by god make the players stay in the damn box. how many times do i need to see a guy adjust his gloves and/or uniform after every pitch?
    Interesting on expanding the strike zone. It would definitely cut back on runs, which would reduce the number of pitches, reduce the number of relievers used over the course of a game, which would absolutely speed up the game. The contra of course, is that people are interested in runs, not pitching. So it could reduce viewership.

Speaking of adjusting gloves... My favorite player growing up was Hargove who was the Human Rain Delay... he literally adjusted his gloves, pants, helmet, and cleaned his spikes after ever pitch. The result was leading, or close to teh lead in walks drawn every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tGm_JajqLo

mrussel1 said:

tbergs said:

igotid88 said:

Speed up the game...

And the umps are traditionalists too. They aren't going to enforce that time rule.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited April 2017

mrussel1 said:

God.. who doesn't hate the instant replay bullshit where they hold tag on a play for that fractional second someone over slides the bag. It's a total misuse of the replay concept. They need to find a way to kill that.

Totally agree. When you get into examining milliseconds and millimeters, it's gone too far. The point of replay is that it has to be conclusive to overturn. I've seen so many calls get overturned based on a hair's width in one of the 7 different angles they look at. That is NOT conclusive by any means!
    The replays do take up about twice as long as they need to. Especially when it seems like they get those wrong about as often as the on field calls. I hate that they can't apply the same common sense judgement to the replays.

I think it would be great if they could speed up the game. The only thing they happens often enough to really matter is batters adjusting, imo. Get rid of that shit. I don't even think commercial breaks are that bad, but it is annoying the way they rush in and out of them.
    I'm not really concerned with speeding up the game. But I'm a baseball lover. I'd like to see more consistency with the rules and integrity of the game. Make the right calls. Make the right calls after review. Make the strike zone consistent - none of this "I'm gonna give this guy the outside corner since batters are staring at it" bullshit. A strike is a strike and a ball is a ball. Make Joe West retire. Ban Ryan Braun for life. And while I'm on a rant, sell me a beer for under $10 (and that doesn't mean $9.50)!

I'm not really concerned with speeding up the game. But I'm a baseball lover. I'd like to see more consistency with the rules and integrity of the game. Make the right calls. Make the right calls after review. Make the strike zone consistent - none of this "I'm gonna give this guy the outside corner since batters are staring at it" bullshit. A strike is a strike and a ball is a ball. Make Joe West retire. Ban Ryan Braun for life. And while I'm on a rant, sell me a beer for under $10 (and that doesn't mean $9.50)!

We used to have 10 cent beer night in Cleveland. Led to a riot at the game, with the Tribe having to forfeit. You can't discount beer in Cleveland anymore. Can you imagine.. 10 beers for a buck.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Starling Marte suspended 80 games for PED's.

Hopefully at some point they make it a 1 year suspension for 1st offense.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    mrussel1 said:

We used to have 10 cent beer night in Cleveland. Led to a riot at the game, with the Tribe having to forfeit. You can't discount beer in Cleveland anymore. Can you imagine.. 10 beers for a buck.
    I can believe it! That takes me back to college and "Dime Drafts." $2 to get in and get a cup, 10 cent drafts from 8-10pm on Tuesday/Thursday nights. Granted it was Milawukee's Best and they were 10oz pours, but you could get pretty buzzed in 2 hours. After 10 it was BOGO mixed drinks. If you went in with $8, you were completely trashed by night's end. And oh what a shit show it was!!

As for the ballparks, a $6 beer I'd be fine with. But selling me one can for the retail price of a 6-pack is ridiculous.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    mrussel1 said:

I grew up in Binghamton, New York. We had the Binghamton Mets. Tuesday's at the Mets games were 2 for Tuesdays. 2 for 1 beers (like $4 or $5 for 2 16 or 20 oz. Labatts). Then after that our watering hole had 10 cent Tuesdays where beers were clearly ten cents. Messy messy times.

mrussel1 said:

I grew up in Binghamton, New York. We had the Binghamton Mets. Tuesday's at the Mets games were 2 for Tuesdays. 2 for 1 beers (like $4 or $5 for 2 16 or 20 oz. Labatts). Then after that our watering hole had 10 cent Tuesdays where beers were clearly ten cents. Messy messy times.
    200+ fans stormed the field. They were throwing cherry bombs into the Rangers dugout. The Indians and Rangers picked up bats to defend themselves from the fans. They ended up bringing in the Cleveland swat to pepper spray the crowd, and they killed the lights to stem the violence.
    Oh yeah, the tickets to the game were 50 cents too. So for two bucks you get into the game and 15 beers. Not a bad deal. And the drinking age was 18.
    edited April 2017
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

200+ fans stormed the field. They were throwing cherry bombs into the Rangers dugout. The Indians and Rangers picked up bats to defend themselves from the fans. They ended up bringing in the Cleveland swat to pepper spray the crowd, and they killed the lights to stem the violence.
    Oh yeah, the tickets to the game were 50 cents too. So for two bucks you get into the game and 15 beers. Not a bad deal. And the drinking age was 18.
    lol yeah, I have read about that. Amazing. Not a bad deal at all.

Our 2 for tuesdays was also 2 for 1 tickets and dogs. not quite on the same level, but a solid regular summer Tuesday for a bunch of college kids home for the summer.

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

lol yeah, I have read about that. Amazing. Not a bad deal at all.

Our 2 for tuesdays was also 2 for 1 tickets and dogs. not quite on the same level, but a solid regular summer Tuesday for a bunch of college kids home for the summer.
    Baseball is great for chilling with beer and food.
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Fuck you Staring Marte.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

Why are people so worked up about marte?

Do you get this mad at NFL players?
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    This is pathetic. How is this guy still in the league?

http://deadspin.com/wow-that-was-some-bizarre-umpiring-in-nats-braves-1794446772
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    That is incredible. Hadn't seen that, thanks for sharing. Anyone who watches baseball already knows and dreads that name.
    (Also...John Hirschbeck and Country Joe West.)
    Awful.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Isn't he the same ump last year that called a pitch that was dead perfect in the middle of the zone a ball last season?
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

That is incredible. Hadn't seen that, thanks for sharing. Anyone who watches baseball already knows and dreads that name.
    Awful.

Yep. How these 3 continue to have jobs at the highest level (or, at all, for that matter) is beyond me. Not only are they absolutely awful at their jobs, they're all fuckin assholes too. West is the worst with his attitude.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,143

Awful.

Yep. How these 3 continue to have jobs at the highest level (or, at all, for that matter) is beyond me. Not only are they absolutely awful at their jobs, they're all fuckin assholes too. West is the worst with his attitude.
    Angel Hernandez
    I miss igotid88
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

Awful.

Word. Bad & pricks.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    igotid88 said:

Awful.

Angel Hernandez
    Oh yeah, him too. Basically, if you know an umpire's name, it's not a good thing.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

mrussel1 said:

you're from fucking binghamton? my good buddy is from there. know any bullocks? they were big in coin-op :lol:

vegas AAA had dollar beer night....drew out all the dregs....like me. get two, go to the end of the line. repeat.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853

igotid88 said:

Awful.

Angel Hernandez
    Oh yeah, him too. Basically, if you know an umpire's name, it's not a good thing.
    THIS!!!
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

igotid88 said:

Awful.

Angel Hernandez
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Anytime a ref or an ump is known by name it can only mean one thing; they're horseshit.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Wobbie said:

mrussel1 said:

you're from fucking binghamton? my good buddy is from there. know any bullocks? they were big in coin-op :lol:

vegas AAA had dollar beer night....drew out all the dregs....like me. get two, go to the end of the line. repeat.
    Name does not ring a bell. Coin-op..goodness. Sounds about right. Everyone is into something...
    What a dummy
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

What a dummy

rhymes with dummy?

:angry:

thank goodness I have a backup team :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09