The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356

Anyone else love beers on nitro?

Yuuuuge fan. If anything on tap at the bar is on nitro that's the beer I'm drinking.
    I'm with yah on that, unless something is too hoppy.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757

Anyone else love beers on nitro?

Yuuuuge fan. If anything on tap at the bar is on nitro that's the beer I'm drinking.
    I'm with yah on that, unless something is too hoppy.
    Especially if it's on Nitro and super hoppy.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Speaking of hoppy and IPA's... I had one of the few that I actually like yesterday evening in celebration of "Hoppy" Easter.
    Dogfish 120. 2 year aged and god damn was it delicious.
    Nice. As for myself I had Firestone's Leo vs. Ursus Fortem. Now THAT was some good stuff.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

Speaking of hoppy and IPA's... I had one of the few that I actually like yesterday evening in celebration of "Hoppy" Easter.

Aged IPA?
    Usually that doesnt work out so well
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Bell

Aged IPA?
    Usually that doesnt work out so well
    For those it does
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

dogfish 120 is amazing. I'm thinking of visiting their brewery sometime in the near future.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

dogfish 120 is amazing. I'm thinking of visiting their brewery sometime in the near future.
    I've been there.
    It is in the middle of nowhere Delaware but worth the trip.
    Watch out for the big beers

mcgruff10 said:

I've been there.
    so there's nothing to do in the area except to go to the brewery?
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I've been there.
    Go to Rehoboth for their Pub - you get pretty much all the same beers, plus a really good menu of food. And it's at the beach.

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I've been there.
    Go to Rehoboth for their Pub - you get pretty much all the same beers, plus a really good menu of food. And it's at the beach.
    Good call!! Thank you.
    Please tell me there is someone here who absolutely loves Terrapin Brewing Hi-5 IPA. Mild hops (I'm not a hop head) super refreshing. Currently my favorite beer and I'm a stout guy.
    question for you guys:
    let's say I go to a different state and see a bunch of craft beer I can't find in new jersey. I buy it and bring it home.
    1. How do you guys store something like this? Do I just throw it in a fridge?
    2. What is the shelf life or is everything different?

Thanks.
    Mike

Please tell me there is someone here who absolutely loves Terrapin Brewing Hi-5 IPA. Mild hops (I'm not a hop head) super refreshing. Currently my favorite beer and I'm a stout guy.

Love pretty much all of Terrapin's beer...except for that damn Recreation Ale...it's good...but F session ales.
    mcgruff10 said:

question for you guys:
    let's say I go to a different state and see a bunch of craft beer I can't find in new jersey. I buy it and bring it home.

Thanks.
    Mike

I would say it depends on the type of beer you're buying. Also, beer doesn't last long in my house, so in the fridge it goes with an expiration date of no longer than a week.

If you're going to Rehoboth you might as well hit up Total Wine in Claymont (though, I'm not sure it's on your way home, I'm just saying because it's in Delaware). That place is the Disneyland of booze and beer.

mcgruff10 said:

question for you guys:

Thanks.
    Mike

For beer you plan on aging for awhile, like barrel aged beers. If you have a basement that stays consistently cool....60ish....then it's fine down there. Can stay for years.
    The best beers for aging are stouts and porters, especially barrel aged stuff.
    Getting a sixtel of Oberon soon. Sooooooo gooooooood!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

Getting a sixtel of Oberon soon. Sooooooo gooooooood!

Oberon is good stuff!
    Oberon and Summer Love were the beers of choice at our wedding last summer. Good stuff that made for great memories.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    mcgruff10 said:

question for you guys:

Thanks.
    Mike

Like someone else said, the BA stuff typically is fine in a basement and gets better after a couple years. This will not hold true for anything that is sold to you in a crowler though (where they put it in a can straight out of the tap and seal it onsite).

Most lighter beers (I'm thinking IPA's here) do not age all that well. Zombie Dust to me is hugely different when it was bottled 2 days ago compared to 2 months ago. I've never had it last longer than that. The Hopslam I have says to drink that shit within 6 months. I will obey.

I've just totally gotten into trying this stuff in the past year. My current "aging collection" is super small but I think highly respectable.

2015 Founders - KBS
    2015 One Trick Pony - Kentucky Mountain
    2015 Dogfish Head - 120 Triple IPA
    2015 Three Floyd's - Dark Lord
    2016 Founders - KBS
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    dunno if this is "craft," but it's damn good:

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853

mcgruff10 said:

question for you guys:

Thanks.
    Mike

Like someone else said, the BA stuff typically is fine in a basement and gets better after a couple years. This will not hold true for anything that is sold to you in a crowler though (where they put it in a can straight out of the tap and seal it onsite).

Most lighter beers (I'm thinking IPA's here) do not age all that well. Zombie Dust to me is hugely different when it was bottled 2 days ago compared to 2 months ago. I've never had it last longer than that. The Hopslam I have says to drink that shit within 6 months. I will obey.

I've just totally gotten into trying this stuff in the past year. My current "aging collection" is super small but I think highly respectable.

2015 Founders - KBS
    2015 One Trick Pony - Kentucky Mountain
    2015 Dogfish Head - 120 Triple IPA
    2015 Three Floyd's - Dark Lord
    2016 Founders - KBS
    Very good list so far!

See if you can get your hands on some Backwoods Bastard and some Project Pam to age also.

I have a few KBS15's a case of 16 and almost a case of 17. I want to do a side by side in another year to try them.

Also on the docket is a Utopia and GI rare.

After that I have a GI 2013, 2015 & 2016 Barley wine to do a side by side.

So much crap I have just waiting...
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    Wobbie said:

dunno if this is "craft," but it's damn good:

Rogue is very much craft. One of the Oregon OGs.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    So... What are we drinking tonight?

I've got some oddside ales I may tare into courtesy of @jlaustin !!!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    My local watering hold just got Dogfish Head's Pennsylvania Tuxedo, 90 Minute IPA, & Troeg's Chocolate Stout on tap. The Troeg's is on nitro. Typically not a stout guy, but I like that one. Might stop and have a few at happy hour this evening.
    On my way home through DE and had to stop at Total Wine - loaded up on some Summer Love, Oberon, Shiner Ruby Red, and Two Hearted Ale.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518

This one is really tasty. Block 15 makes some great brews.
    #FHP
    Wicked Weed joins the no drink list.... 

Craft Beer Bars Cutting Off Wicked Weed, Other AB InBev-Owned Breweries
    They make some good beers.  Stopped by there when I was in Asheville.

Wicked Weed joins the no drink list.... 

Craft Beer Bars Cutting Off Wicked Weed, Other AB InBev-Owned Breweries

Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    thought it would be too sweet just by the name, but I enjoyed it.  Never had a white stout before.

h
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.