60K Raised for Planned Parenthood.

12346»

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:

I wonder if parents could opt to have this done to their children until they turned 18 (or whenever the adult chooses to have it reversed). This could be the best form of birth control ever created!
    https://www.sciencealert.com/new-type-of-male-contraceptive-not-only-prevents-babies-it-s-completely-reversible

I kind of like that idea, can we make it mandatory for all males until 25 years of age? LOL
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2017
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

I wonder if parents could opt to have this done to their children until they turned 18 (or whenever the adult chooses to have it reversed). This could be the best form of birth control ever created!
    https://www.sciencealert.com/new-type-of-male-contraceptive-not-only-prevents-babies-it-s-completely-reversible

I kind of like that idea, can we make it mandatory for all males until 25 years of age? LOL
    That's how long you have to keep the children on your insurance these days, so I don't see why not! Maybe a clause where if they get married or something...Wonder if big pharma will ever let this get through all of the hoops to become publicly available...may be a great investment opportunity.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Require an invasive medical procedure for all males until they reach a certain age?

I'm not so sure of that.

I say education is the best thing we have outside of stronger parenting (making parental decisions that keep kids from situations where boredom and freedom are two contexts they exist in... coupled with ensuring responsible dating happens).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I was only joking of course.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

Require an invasive medical procedure for all males until they reach a certain age?

I'm not so sure of that.

I say education is the best thing we have outside of stronger parenting (making parental decisions that keep kids from situations where boredom and freedom are two contexts they exist in... coupled with ensuring responsible dating happens).

Maybe not require, but give parents the ability to choose to have the procedure done as they are the medical conservator and insurance payer. This could be the least invasive and most reversible and cost effective option out there. You could still encourage condoms and such to prevent STDs. Truth is, though, horny teenagers are going to have sex regardless of how hard you try to "ensure responsible dating".
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    It is really ethically dicey to make decisions about someone else's reproductive status. If this method eventually becomes commercially available I would hope that teens are given the opportunity to choose it, but no one should be forced to have it, by their parent or anyone else.

And while it looks like it has some promise, keep in mind it's at a very early stage of development. A small animal trial on 16 monkeys is proof of concept but not proof of efficacy and safety in humans. If it doesn't become a reality it almost certainly isn't because "big pharma" is preventing it.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJPOWER said:

Require an invasive medical procedure for all males until they reach a certain age?

I'm not so sure of that.

Maybe not require, but give parents the ability to choose to have the procedure done as they are the medical conservator and insurance payer. This could be the least invasive and most reversible and cost effective option out there. You could still encourage condoms and such to prevent STDs. Truth is, though, horny teenagers are going to have sex regardless of how hard you try to "ensure responsible dating".
    They are. I know this. I was one too.

And in the event they should make a mistake, I feel the pregnant teen should be free to make a personal choice whether or not they want to come to full term or terminate the pregnancy.

PJPOWER said:

I'm not so sure of that.

They are. I know this. I was one too.

And in the event they should make a mistake, I feel the pregnant teen should be free to make a personal choice whether or not they want to come to full term or terminate the pregnancy.
    Isn't that kind of opposite the point of children having guardians and with it technically being illegal for children under a certain age to have sex to begin with. It does border a lot of ethical/legal guidelines as to the ability for children to make responsible decisions based on their health. I guess the definitions of statutory rape vary depending on jurisdiction, so it would probably be a state matter in the context of law.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I wasn't sure quite where to put this nugget but this thread will work.

Oklahoma proudly calls abortion "murder". Apparently this is nothing new for the state, which already has a law on the books (though it can't be enforced) calling for jail time for women seeking an abortion.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/05/11/oklahoma_s_resolution_calling_abortion_murder_is_an_insult_to_parents_and.html

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • I wasn't sure quite where to put this nugget but this thread will work.

Oklahoma proudly calls abortion "murder". Apparently this is nothing new for the state, which already has a law on the books (though it can't be enforced) calling for jail time for women seeking an abortion.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/05/11/oklahoma_s_resolution_calling_abortion_murder_is_an_insult_to_parents_and.html

“I understand that they feel like that is their body,” he said of pregnant women. “I feel like it is a separate—what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host.’ And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant.”

Idiotic.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I wasn't sure quite where to put this nugget but this thread will work.

“I understand that they feel like that is their body,” he said of pregnant women. “I feel like it is a separate—what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host.’ And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant.”

Idiotic.
    Morons. 

Time to start calling it how we see it. Nothing but a bunch of morons
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    a host. like a baby is a fucking disease. 

trump america is clearly 1950's america. 

good. let all the idiots and bigots show their faces, so when the twilight zone gets cancelled, we'll all know who to get the fuck out of office. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD