The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

I like how the new thing is to shit on IPAs because everyone makes one now.

Conversely, I like how everyone thinks IPAs are the end-all, be-all of beer. Like if you can't handle drinking one, you're not a man or some dumb bullshit. I've shit on IPAs for a decade. They're gross.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Conversely, I like how everyone thinks IPAs are the end-all, be-all of beer. Like if you can't handle drinking one, you're not a man or some dumb bullshit. I've shit on IPAs for a decade. They're gross.
    I love ipa's (and I do love sam adams) but absolutely loathe porters and the majority of stouts. now the cool thing to do is to infuse as many disgusting flavors as you can in a beer. "hey guys, try my raspberry, bacon, doughnut, kale stout. it's legit a meal!"
    oh and I'd rather throw up in my mouth then drink a sour beer lol.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    mcgruff10 said:

I love ipa's (and I do love sam adams) but absolutely loathe porters and the majority of stouts. now the cool thing to do is to infuse as many disgusting flavors as you can in a beer. "hey guys, try my raspberry, bacon, doughnut, kale stout. it's legit a meal!"
    oh and I'd rather throw up in my mouth then drink a sour beer lol.
    LOL. Completely agree. I'm a huge IPA fan...can't get enough hops! I don't get the whole stout/porter thing...I don't want a marshmallow and coffee flavored beer. To each their own...plenty of beer out there to go around.
    I'm not a stout fan either, but I love a good porter. Key word = good. Something about the smokiness that I really enjoy. I wouldn't knock back glass after glass of a porter, a little too robust for that. But a pint with a country breakfast or with some good barbecue and I'm a happy guy.
    Stouts are too... creamy, milky... not sure what the exact word I'm looking for is but the texture just doesn't feel like beer.

I'm not a stout fan either, but I love a good porter. Key word = good. Something about the smokiness that I really enjoy. I wouldn't knock back glass after glass of a porter, a little too robust for that. But a pint with a country breakfast or with some good barbecue and I'm a happy guy.
    Stouts are too... creamy, milky... not sure what the exact word I'm looking for is but the texture just doesn't feel like beer.

What s the difference between the two? Stouts are little less thick?
    mcgruff10 said:

What s the difference between the two? Stouts are little less thick?
    The only real difference I know of is the malt that's used. Stouts typically use pale or stout malts whereas porters typically use brown malt. But stouts can also be brewed with brown malts so it's kind of ambiguous. Stouts do tend to be less heavy, which contradicts where the name came from. Guinness, for example, is one of the best beers you can drink if you're a calorie counter.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited April 2017

I have never seen this as a stance; probably just that people like them. If anything it seems that 1) there are too many off them so therefore they're no longer good, backed up by 2) you just don't like them.

Myself, though, I'll take the bitterest, fruitiest, dryest, hops I can get my hands on.

All shapes and sizes to beer for all peeps, but I'll say this on the aging...

I get a kick out of people who think aging beers is a good thing. It's beer, not wine. Beer goes bad. I also don't want my beer to taste like booze. Sure, we can get into the exceptions to these rules, but this is the thing - beer is meant to be drank, not stored in basements. I got some beer (forget the name of it now) as a wedding gift that my cousin told me to drink on my 12th anniversary since that's when this beer supposedly would be at its best. That shit didn't last a week in my house.

Suffice to say, I have a problem.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852

I have never seen this as a stance; probably just that people like them. If anything it seems that 1) there are too many off them so therefore they're no longer good, backed up by 2) you just don't like them.

Myself, though, I'll take the bitterest, fruitiest, dryest, hops I can get my hands on.

I get a kick out of people who think aging beers is a good thing. It's beer, not wine. Beer goes bad. I also don't want my beer to taste like booze. Sure, we can get into the exceptions to these rules, but this is the thing - beer is meant to be drank, not stored in basements. I got some beer (forget the name of it now) as a wedding gift that my cousin told me to drink on my 12th anniversary since that's when this beer supposedly would be at its best. That shit didn't last a week in my house.

If you can ever suffice the will power to age some beers you'll be pleasantly surprised. Latest one that I did was a Backwoods Bastard side by side. I had two people that weren't beer snobs and had them try this years offering and last years offering and they both chose last years. There is something to be said for aging beers and the flavor that can come from it.

A good BA beer is like a wine in that it still is fermenting when in the bottle unlike an IPA, whiskey or cognac.

I also love a good sour beer, stout and porter. I am not biased. If it's good then it's good.

@mfc2006 give me a list of those IPA's to try. I may have had a bunch of them already, lol.

Sammy Smiths Organic Chocolate stout is a fantastic beer. Please try it!!!

Definitely comes down to personal tastes. Almost everyone I know loves IPAs but there are very, very few I can drink. I'm more of a standard pale ale, standard ale, red ale, bock, marzen, porter, weisse, dubble, tripel, & lambic kinda guy.

As for aging, it has to be pretty high ABV in order to age, otherwise it will just go skunk. I have a couple beers I've aged and all but one have aged well. But I've also never gone more than 3-4 years aging. If I plan to age a beer, I try to get at least 3 of the same bottle - one for right away, 1 year age, & 3 year age. I do have one bottle of Goose Island Bourbon Barrel which will be my first 5 year test. The best place to age a beer is in a humidity controlled crisper drawer in the fridge, if your fridge has one.

Definitely comes down to personal tastes. Almost everyone I know loves IPAs but there are very, very few I can drink. I'm more of a standard pale ale, standard ale, red ale, bock, marzen, porter, weisse, dubble, tripel, & lambic kinda guy.

As for aging, it has to be pretty high ABV in order to age, otherwise it will just go skunk. I have a couple beers I've aged and all but one have aged well. But I've also never gone more than 3-4 years aging. If I plan to age a beer, I try to get at least 3 of the same bottle - one for right away, 1 year age, & 3 year age. I do have one bottle of Goose Island Bourbon Barrel which will be my first 5 year test. The best place to age a beer is in a humidity controlled crisper drawer in the fridge, if your fridge has one.
    I've had the pleasure of drinking aged GI's and man does it make a difference. Early Goose BA's are a little rough. They smooth out after a year so you are in for a treat. I had the 2013 last year. Fantastic.

I've also had the sour sisters (Gillian, Lolita and Juliet) aged for a few years. Amazing too.

A sample of what I'm aging.

I must have missed the invite.
    edited April 2017
    mcgruff10 said:

They are waiting until next year, lol. Can u make it to Long Island @mcgruff10

mcgruff10 said:

I'm exit 100 of the garden state parkway! depending on traffic I could be there within 8 hours lol.
    How far out on the island are you?
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518

This stuff finally made it to my part of Oregon.
    #FHP
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    Had some Bissel Bros for the first time this week.

That's a damn good beer.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

That's a damn good beer.

I try to stock up a few times a month. Foundation is another good Portland brewery. Try Epiphany.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    jervin007 said:

That's a damn good beer.

I try to stock up a few times a month. Foundation is another good Portland brewery. Try Epiphany.
    Yup, It was the Substance Ale, my wife's cousins brought me a few for my birthday (including 7 bottles of Lunch!!!).

That Substance was delicious, I can't wait to try more - will def. check out Epiphany.

I'll definitely look into Foundation too. I was enjoying Shipyard for a while, but that got old. I'm definitely looking for something new in that area.

jervin007 said:

That's a damn good beer.

Yup, It was the Substance Ale, my wife's cousins brought me a few for my birthday (including 7 bottles of Lunch!!!).

That Substance was delicious, I can't wait to try more - will def. check out Epiphany.

I'll definitely look into Foundation too. I was enjoying Shipyard for a while, but that got old. I'm definitely looking for something new in that area.
    Substance is their flagship beers and one of my favorites. Honestly, I really like all their beers with the exception of one or two.

Maine is becoming a great option for craft beer so if you want any suggestions hit me up!
    PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

jervin007 said:

jervin007 said:

That's a damn good beer.

Substance is their flagship beers and one of my favorites. Honestly, I really like all their beers with the exception of one or two.

Maine is becoming a great option for craft beer so if you want any suggestions hit me up!
    My wife just texted me & said her co-worker grabbed me a bottle of Dinner!!! Never had it before, only Lunch...... I'm pretty excited!

jervin007 said:

jervin007 said:

That's a damn good beer.

My wife just texted me & said her co-worker grabbed me a bottle of Dinner!!! Never had it before, only Lunch...... I'm pretty excited!
    Nice! That one has evaded me. The town of Freeport was upset with the all night tailgating for Dinner so Maine Beer Company switched to a ticket sale system. Probably a good idea but the releases have never fallen on my day off. Maybe one day!
    PJ:

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I used to be happy with a case of keystone and a 1.75 of burnetts every 2-3 weeks. I now spend 40 dollars on beer every week.
    Is heroin cheaper?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    That said I enjoyed some of this last night.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    Had Bell's Lager of the Lakes last night on draft. Not bad, more like a pilsner than a lager but I'm perfectly fine with that.
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I'm exit 100 of the garden state parkway! depending on traffic I could be there within 8 hours lol.
    How far out on the island are you?
    Just off the Northern state in Nassau.

Say the word and I can set something up. We can get a few of us and rent a suite and taste away and pass out there, lol. My place is too tiny to host a bunch of us.
    Malroth said:

I used to be happy with a case of keystone and a 1.75 of burnetts every 2-3 weeks. I now spend 40 dollars on beer every week.
    Is heroin cheaper?

That Vietnamese beer just showed up on the island. I am telling people to stay clear of it.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Anyone else love beers on nitro?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757

Yuuuuge fan. If anything on tap at the bar is on nitro that's the beer I'm drinking.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

Yuuuuge fan. If anything on tap at the bar is on nitro that's the beer I'm drinking.
    If they are stouts or porters definitely.
    If they are are IPAS then HELL NO!
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356

If they are stouts or porters definitely.
    If they are are IPAS then HELL NO!
    Depends on the IPA for me. I'm not a huge hophead.