Options

If Lightning Bolt was their last album,would you be satisfied?

Comments

• Options
    For about a year I've found myself reaching for previous albums to listen to as LB just isn't doing it anymore.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351

For about a year I've found myself reaching for previous albums to listen to as LB just isn't doing it anymore.

Pendulum and Getaway are the only two songs I ever go out of my way to listen to from LB. It's been that way for about three years now.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Would be a very weak point to end a career on if that was it.
    I'd personally prefer ore new material to touring. I'd rather hear some fresh creativity compared to seeing them jump out on tour again playing songs that have been played countless times.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946

Would be a very weak point to end a career on if that was it.
    I'd personally prefer ore new material to touring. I'd rather hear some fresh creativity compared to seeing them jump out on tour again playing songs that have been played countless times.

Agree 100%.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I'm more interested in an EV solo record right now than a new PJ album
  • Options
    LastExitBJPLastExitBJP Posts: 78
    edited April 2017
    Since releasing records and playing live shows can be mutually beneficial, it'd be great if they blessed us with a couple more. I'm not saying that I think they'd tour less if they released less, just that releasing new records seems to be a good way to diversify the live experience. And new releases brings in new fans (hopefully) and brings in more concert sales. However, it would also be sweet if we got to see them in more intimate venues (though again, would they tour as much if they played smaller venues?). The more I listen to Avocado, the more I think that is their best album. It's just so . . . them? I dunno. It's so cohesive, so raw, and it drags you into another world like Vitalogy does. Darkness and hope, love and death. It's perfect. I think it just took my brain awhile to HEAR how good it is (OMG guys, just put Avocado on and focus on what Matt is doing. That dude is so damn good!). It's hard to explain lol. That being said, Backspacer and LB are great, but don't seem to have as much "soul" as Self Titled does. It would be totally rocking if we got one more record that echoed the "epicness" of self-titled and other records (No Code, Binaural), which create their own mental ocean of sound to swim around in.
    Post edited by LastExitBJP on
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    Im all for a new album if we can get to a place where Ed isn't singing for nearly every second of every song. Lets have some longer solos, or intros, or outros. Or even more "noises" from Ed on songs instead of words.

To answer the thread, yes I would be satisfied. I love a few songs and like the rest. So if new material was worse, that would suck
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    my2hands said:

I'm more interested in an EV solo record right now than a new PJ album

I might agree...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    Personally no. It's an okay album but I agree with Ledvedderman, there last couple of records don't hang up like the greats, but that's okay, they've given more than I could ever have wished, more than any other of my favourite bands or musicians have ever put out, with 27 years and thereabouts a thousand shows, age is showing, maybe they've said all they can and it's totally acceptable that you cannot keep up with the previous material/status. But having said that I also do believe they are capable of pulling out another incredible album, they are still fairly young and have a healthy relationship between all of them, they give each other space and collect a lot of influence and musical direction through there other projects they have going. It's easier said than done but if anyone can PJ can. And going back Ledvedderman, I do think the self titled isn't in the same respect as Lightning Bolt and Backspacer. The album represents a lot learnt from the last releases and brought together versatility but freshness and throwback with a great mix of integrity, grit, rawness, power and emotion beautifully with a mix of electric and acoustic, it held up brilliantly for me. PJ are not an ep sort of band, so I think this direction could be an interesting idea given there current positions, families, where they reside, and solo material/side projects going on. Like others I'd love to see a Lost Dogs II or more vaults. But like a lot have said and we all know they're not nostalgia, playing back catalogues show after show isn't an issue, just as long as they have a purpose to tour and new material etc to go with it :)
  • Options
    edited April 2017

You rather listen to Backspacer than Lightning Bolt?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    During the 2000s PJ's departures have been my favorite songs.

Sleight of Hand, the Fixer, Sirens, You Are, etc. the ones where you're like wow thats PJ?? Thats very weird/poppy/etc
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    My two cents worth: A new record would be welcome, would be great if they changed things up a bit, last two records were dreadful. New producer, rawer sound, maybe just live in the studio takes like Neil Young has done in the past. Get angry, get political, love it when they do that, but seriously no more ballads please, they're an utter snoozefest..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    it wont be
    danny d
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    reesdog said:

My two cents worth: A new record would be welcome, would be great if they changed things up a bit, last two records were dreadful. New producer, rawer sound, maybe just live in the studio takes like Neil Young has done in the past. Get angry, get political, love it when they do that, but seriously no more ballads please, they're an utter snoozefest..

Lol @ "dreadful." Really?
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    Not a chance Lightning Bolt is their last album. One more, then I think they're done making albums. If the band stopped touring, it would suck, but I'd move on with my life.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    I would not be satisfied that tons of lightning bolts and red and black apparel would be the last style of tour merch though ha
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I'd be sad for a bit but would be ok with it all being done. They would leave behind the best body of work ever. Love music too much to be completely devastated
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820

They seem to be too spread out now. Eddie is all over the place. Jeff lives in Montana. Matt is touring with Soundgarden.

The mix just doesn't seem to gel anymore. I'm guessing that getting together to do an album is a real chore where they try to get shit done ASAP so they can do their own thing.

no. I want more. But, i get it. I get how life expands and pushes some of even your favourite things into smaller boxes in deeper closets. But man, when you bring that box out, its a ripping good time.

I dont think this band will ever break up in the traditional sense. Theyll tour less, theyll make less music, but the magic will always be there when they do get together.

Id love an EP of punk covers or something, though.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351

They seem to be too spread out now. Eddie is all over the place. Jeff lives in Montana. Matt is touring with Soundgarden.

The mix just doesn't seem to gel anymore. I'm guessing that getting together to do an album is a real chore where they try to get shit done ASAP so they can do their own thing.

no. I want more. But, i get it. I get how life expands and pushes some of even your favourite things into smaller boxes in deeper closets. But man, when you bring that box out, its a ripping good time.

I dont think this band will ever break up in the traditional sense. Theyll tour less, theyll make less music, but the magic will always be there when they do get together.

Id love an EP of punk covers or something, though.

Sort of like The Spaghetti Incident?
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2017
    yep. I loved Lightning Bolt actually. They have the potential to still make incredible albums but if that's the last, I'm totally fine. If they stop touring that's completely different.
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    brianwilsonbrianwilson Posts: 406
    Nope/yep. Great discography, but LB is my least favorite album.
  • Options

reesdog said:

Yep, really..

• Options
    reesdog said:

reesdog said:

Yep, really..

Not even 1-5% hyperbole here?
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    So and so..but the LB is not the end..
    the band has lot of things to give us yet..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    reesdog said:

reesdog said:

Yep, really..

So the last 2 albums have caused you great fear and suffering?
  • Options

reesdog said:

reesdog said:

Yep, really..

Yeah, I won't leave the house anymore out of fear and a deep depression has come over me from the sheer suffering of knowing these albums are in existence. Don't be a dick, it's just what people say in my part of the world when they aren't a fan of something. Personally I think a song like 'Sirens' is rock bottom for PJ, dreadful music..
  • Options
    reesdog said:

reesdog said:

reesdog said:

Yep, really..

Yeah, I won't leave the house anymore out of fear and a deep depression has come over me from the sheer suffering of knowing these albums are in existence. Don't be a dick, it's just what people say in my part of the world when they aren't a fan of something. Personally I think a song like 'Sirens' is rock bottom for PJ, dreadful music..
    Dreadful and not a fan are miles apart. But we can certainly agree on one thing - Sirens is awful. It's the only PJ song in the entire catalog that I always skip, album or bootleg.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849

I don't think I'd be satisfied to an extent if they quit releasing new albums. The last three albums in particular show slight signs that greatness is still in them in regards to new music. Slight. As albums, the last three have been kind of weak. So it's frustrating as a fan to see the signs of light breakthrough only to give way to a meh album. I think the band has it in them to put out another 12 song album that is amazing beginning to end.
    As a recording artist, I know it's harder than it sounds. When I put out my first album I was in love with every second of every song. A couple of years later now and I think "what if I'd replaced this song with another" or "this is bad". Of the 12 songs on it, 7 or 8 are still strong to me. I was just trying to please myself with this record, not thousands of fans. So I totally feel for the band.

From your perspective, what songs were signs of greatness of the last three albums?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    I'm satisfied with what they've given I like to see them tour but even that seems to be a chore for them it's not like they tour every yr , i never go back and listen to their catalog at all I'd rather catch a show !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    mcgruff10 said:

I don't think I'd be satisfied to an extent if they quit releasing new albums. The last three albums in particular show slight signs that greatness is still in them in regards to new music. Slight. As albums, the last three have been kind of weak. So it's frustrating as a fan to see the signs of light breakthrough only to give way to a meh album. I think the band has it in them to put out another 12 song album that is amazing beginning to end.
    As a recording artist, I know it's harder than it sounds. When I put out my first album I was in love with every second of every song. A couple of years later now and I think "what if I'd replaced this song with another" or "this is bad". Of the 12 songs on it, 7 or 8 are still strong to me. I was just trying to please myself with this record, not thousands of fans. So I totally feel for the band.

From your perspective, what songs were signs of greatness of the last three albums?
    Oh damn! Being put on the spot. Life Wasted, Marker in the Sand, Army Reserve, Got Some, Speed of Sound (lyrically), Force of Nature, Getaway, Infallible, and Pendulum.

That's off the top of my head without much thought...so be kind, man. Lol