U.S. Drops Largest Non-Nuclear Bomb in Afghanistan targeting ISIS

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

94 bad guys were killed.

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The number of militants killed in an attack by the largest non-nuclear weapon ever used in combat by the U.S. military has risen to 94, an Afghan official said Saturday.

Ataullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor in Nangarhar, said the number of Islamic State group dead was up from the 36 reported a day earlier. A Ministry of Defense official had said Friday the number of dead could rise as officials assessed the bomb site in Achin district.

"Fortunately there is no report of civilians being killed in the attack," Khogyani said.

The increased death toll in Nangarhar was announced as officials in southern Helmand province reported at least 11 civilians were killed and one wounded in two roadside bomb blasts overnight.

The U.S. attack on a tunnel complex in remote eastern Nangarhar province near the Pakistan border killed at least four IS group leaders, Khogyani said. He said a clearance operation to assess the site of the attack was continuing.

The strike using the Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb, or MOAB, was carried out Thursday against an Islamic State group tunnel complex carved into the mountains that Afghan forces had tried to assault repeatedly in recent weeks in fierce fighting in Nangarhar province.

$170,212 per kill. U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A!
    What s your point?
    That the US just spent $36 million in one stroke to accomplish what, exactly?
    Very simple: To destroy a tunnel and cave complex used by isis in a remote area of Afghanistan.
    By the way, trump didn't approve this. The us commander who decided to use MOAB had permission to do so before trump took office.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

94 bad guys were killed.

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The number of militants killed in an attack by the largest non-nuclear weapon ever used in combat by the U.S. military has risen to 94, an Afghan official said Saturday.

Ataullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor in Nangarhar, said the number of Islamic State group dead was up from the 36 reported a day earlier. A Ministry of Defense official had said Friday the number of dead could rise as officials assessed the bomb site in Achin district.

"Fortunately there is no report of civilians being killed in the attack," Khogyani said.

The increased death toll in Nangarhar was announced as officials in southern Helmand province reported at least 11 civilians were killed and one wounded in two roadside bomb blasts overnight.

The U.S. attack on a tunnel complex in remote eastern Nangarhar province near the Pakistan border killed at least four IS group leaders, Khogyani said. He said a clearance operation to assess the site of the attack was continuing.

The strike using the Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb, or MOAB, was carried out Thursday against an Islamic State group tunnel complex carved into the mountains that Afghan forces had tried to assault repeatedly in recent weeks in fierce fighting in Nangarhar province.

What s your point?
    Very simple: To destroy a tunnel and cave complex used by isis in a remote area of Afghanistan.
    By the way, trump didn't approve this. The us commander who decided to use MOAB had permission to do so before trump took office.
    Okay, let me know when ISIS and the Taliban are defeated and Trump declares victory.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Supposedly over 100 dead
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    unsung said:

Supposedly over 100 dead

And 200 new terrorists born. Woot?
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

94 bad guys were killed.

What s your point?
    To destroy tunnels the CIA paid to build 40 years ago.
    Hopefully we can free Syria again in 40 years...
    Did anyone notice that the same day the US dropped this MOAB, they made public a nuke test in nevada, of an underground bomb that could take out North Korea's nuclear facilities?
    ...and nuke tests are what they're threatening North Korea over?
    Mother of all dry runs?

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

94 bad guys were killed.

What s your point?
    To destroy tunnels the CIA paid to build 40 years ago.
    Hopefully we can free Syria again in 40 years...
    Yes the cia probably helped build it during the cold war. Tough to predict the future.
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited April 2017

This seems like a pretty pretty remote area. If this were dropped on a cave/tunnel complex with no civilian causalities, what is the issue? Big if...

Yeah 92 ISIS members dead, no civilian casualties. Can anyone call a win a win? Or no matter what Trump is a bafoon?
    I didn't agree with much of what Present Obama did. But he did some good ​things that I alpoded. When they got Binladden that was super. And kudos to Obama for oking the mission!
    The hipocracy is that if Obama had dropped this bigass bomb or if Hillary had won and this had occured, lefties would've been fine with it. But because it happened now, it's bad bad bad. And no President Trump is not in the business of dropping​ nuclear bombs. That is assumption is nutty.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    He is a punk of a man and needs to be shut down . Impeachment \ war crimes... Something needs to surface and then get him out of office he is a disgusting person .And I hate what and how he treats women.fuck him and fuck all that support him .If you support him your a racist PUNK bully.

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • RYME said:

This seems like a pretty pretty remote area. If this were dropped on a cave/tunnel complex with no civilian causalities, what is the issue? Big if...

Yeah 92 ISIS members dead, no civilian casualties. Can anyone call a win a win? Or no matter what Trump is a bafoon?
    I didn't agree with much of what Present Obama did. But he did some good ​things that I alpoded. When they got Binladden that was super. And kudos to Obama for oking the mission!
    The hipocracy is that if Obama had dropped this bigass bomb or if Hillary had won and this had occured, lefties would've been fine with it. But because it happened now, it's bad bad bad. And no President Trump is not in the business of dropping​ nuclear bombs. That is assumption is nutty.
    I alpoded when Obama did an odd good thing too such as the one you mentioned: 'getting Binladden after oking the mission'.

To your question though... yes... no matter what... Trump is a buffoon. He's the rare orange variety buffoon identifiable by their orange tint, small hands, obnoxious behaviour towards others, and soiled khakis.

A leopard can't change its spots (by saying this, RYME, I simply mean to imply that a person is who they are).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited April 2017
    mcgruff10 said:

Yes the cia probably helped build it during the cold war. Tough to predict the future.

Not probably. They were built by the CIA for the mujahideen (al Qaeda). I bet the war didn't feel too cold to afghanis.
    Not really hard to predict, either. The saying 'chickens come home to roost' has been around for about 700 years.
    Similar things are happening in Iraq. And Libya. And Syria. How many times can they say oops before the public believes that 'oops' was part of the plan?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

Did anyone notice that the same day the US dropped this MOAB, they made public a nuke test in nevada, of an underground bomb that could take out North Korea's nuclear facilities?
    Mother of all dry runs?

US fighter drops mock nuclear bomb on Nevada test site
    http://wwlp.com/2017/04/15/us-fighter-drops-mock-nuclear-bomb-on-nevada-test-site/amp/
  • Did anyone notice that the same day the US dropped this MOAB, they made public a nuke test in nevada, of an underground bomb that could take out North Korea's nuclear facilities?
    Mother of all dry runs?

http://wwlp.com/2017/04/15/us-fighter-drops-mock-nuclear-bomb-on-nevada-test-site/amp/
    In all honesty... is there a significant portion of the US population that actually has the stomach to drop another nuclear bomb? In other words, does the current US administration feel they've got the green light to use atomic weaponry?

mcgruff10 said:

Not probably. They were built by the CIA for the mujahideen (al Qaeda). I bet the war didn't feel too cold to afghanis.
    Not really hard to predict, either. The saying 'chickens come home to roost' has been around for about 700 years.
    Similar things are happening in Iraq. And Libya. And Syria. How many times can they say oops before the public believes that 'oops' was part of the plan?
    You are telling me that it was easy to predict that the same afghans who fought the soviets during the Cold War would have eventually been responsible for 9/11?
    And dirty, you always have hawks but no way close to a majority want to drop an atomic bomb. And where exactly do people think we are going to drop an atomic bomb? North Korea with a major ally to the south and a billion person nation to the north?
  • My question was geared towards gauging mentality.

I'm curious to know what the sentiment is for such a display of force. What percentage of the population would see such an act as something appropriate in a conflict setting?

My question was geared towards gauging mentality.

I'm curious to know what the sentiment is for such a display of force. What percentage of the population would see such an act as something appropriate in a conflict setting?

bro we drop an atomic bomb i'm moving in with you. hope you have room for seven.
  • mcgruff10 said:

bro we drop an atomic bomb i'm moving in with you. hope you have room for seven.
    We will house the overflow at PJSoul's pad!

Speaking of her... she's been kind of quiet lately.
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

You are telling me that it was easy to predict that the same afghans who fought the soviets during the Cold War would have eventually been responsible for 9/11?
    And dirty, you always have hawks but no way close to a majority want to drop an atomic bomb. And where exactly do people think we are going to drop an atomic bomb? North Korea with a major ally to the south and a billion person nation to the north?
    it shouldn't be hard to figure out that when you ally with extremists to fight your enemy, it could backfire. terror attacks against western targets are a foregone conclusion thanks to these ongoing policies.
    And ya.....the whole point to the new weapons upgrades is to make nukes tactical. They are guided, and have adjustable loads. They can be 'dialled down' to close to the same tonnage as the MOABs, and are deliverable via fighter jet. the US stores these bombs in several European countries, including our wonderful ally turkey.
    They are also bunker-busters, ie: they detonate below ground, so less fallout.
    The whole point to them is to make them feasible for use....They are basically custom made for a situation like North Korea, where invasion and occupation is not desirable - only need to destroy a few large, well protected, underground facilities.

Depends how it's sold to them. Using the word 'tactical' is a pretty good pitch.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

it shouldn't be hard to figure out that when you ally with extremists to fight your enemy, it could backfire. terror attacks against western targets are a foregone conclusion thanks to these ongoing policies.
    And ya.....the whole point to the new weapons upgrades is to make nukes tactical. They are guided, and have adjustable loads. They can be 'dialled down' to close to the same tonnage as the MOABs, and are deliverable via fighter jet. the US stores these bombs in several European countries, including our wonderful ally turkey.
    The whole point to them is to make them feasible for use....They are basically custom made for a situation like North Korea, where invasion and occupation is not desirable - only need to destroy a few large, well protected, underground facilities.
    And thus the problem. We didn't learn anything from our last experiments with nukes, other than "let's make the next one better!".
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • My question was geared towards gauging mentality.

Depends how it's sold to them. Using the word 'tactical' is a pretty good pitch.
    An awesome word for sure that will most assuredly garner approving head nods in the aftermath.

As part of the sell job... don't forget the fore play that must occur: for example... knowing full well what your intentions are... strike fear within the population using tried, tested and true blue chip terminology like 'weapons of mass destruction' and 'bioweapons' leading up to the event.

unsung said:

Supposedly over 100 dead

And 200 new terrorists born. Woot?
    Um, you are preaching to the choir.

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

And thus the problem. We didn't learn anything from our last experiments with nukes, other than "let's make the next one better!".
    Is that what canadians say when their government tests nuclear weapons?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Mother of all dry runs?

In all honesty... is there a significant portion of the US population that actually has the stomach to drop another nuclear bomb? In other words, does the current US administration feel they've got the green light to use atomic weaponry?
    As long as John McCain is alive, yes.

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

it really is easy to be a monday morning quarterback huh?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

You are severely underestimating analysts and experts who could, and did, predict these results from the end of WWII onward.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

You are severely underestimating analysts and experts who could, and did, predict these results from the end of WWII onward.
    Could you please point me to these analysts who predicted this? and from world war 2 onwards?! wow.
    who knew on august 9, 1945 japan and the united would be really close allies in 2017?!
    who knew one of the men responsible for the v2 rocket would put 2 americans on the moon in 1969?
    Crazy that supporting iraq in the 80's would come back to bite us in the ass.

being a monday morning quarterback is easy
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited April 2017
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Could you please point me to these analysts who predicted this? and from world war 2 onwards?! wow.
    who knew on august 9, 1945 japan and the united would be really close allies in 2017?!
    who knew one of the men responsible for the v2 rocket would put 2 americans on the moon in 1969?
    Crazy that supporting iraq in the 80's would come back to bite us in the ass.

being a monday morning quarterback is easy
    The destabilisation of the Middle East was not a surprise for anyone. Period.

I don't know how Japan and the Moon are relevant.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?