Martins/Taylors?

Can anyone recommend a Martin or Taylor acoustic electric thats on the cheaper end of the price range? Asking for a friend who wants to buy one for her husband. I know you have to go in and play guitars yourself and see what you like, but just wanted to see if there are more popular ones that aren't too expensive.
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I know that I've seen that Guitar Center usually puts one Martin on sale during holidays....and it's a good price. One of these days, I'll take the plunge.

What's their budget? I see Martin A/E's starting at $409 & Taylor A/E's starting at $429. (both of these are for their smaller models & the price goes up about $100-150 for a full size)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    X Series Martin's come in a few different models. Price should be between $450.00 and $700.00 depending on features. The ones with a "1" in the model number have solid spruce tops. That's worth paying extra money for, IMO. I have a DCX1E that sounds better with every passing year.

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    She said she wants me to find "the cheapest, best one".
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    The Little Martins are killer guitars for the money. LX1 or LX1E (the "E" stands for "electronics"). The Martin X-series guitars are great, and as dudeman mentioned already, the X-series models with solid tops are an incredible value. If I was in the market for a guitar meeting these criteria, I would be looking VERY hard at the Martin GPX1AE.

I tend to like the lower-end Martins a LOT more than the lower-end Taylors. I wouldn't personally buy any Taylor below the 3-series. The closest Taylor that I could see myself buying would be the GS Mini, so maybe look at that one.

If she was willing to look outside of Martin and Taylor, I'd have more recommendations. Honestly, there are better guitars for the money at the cheap end of the spectrum. I'd rather have a Seagull/Art & Lutherie/Simon & Patrick (Godin brands) acoustic than some of the cheap Martin or Taylor stuff. I assume that the husband has a particular desire for Martin or Taylor, though.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    Well I know he has said he would love to some day get a really good acoustic, like a Martin or a Taylor. If you have other suggestions, fire away.
    Bang for buck, Seagull and Takemine are my two picks. Just rock-solid in the ~$500 category. My previous recommendations still stand.
  • Seagull all the way. They are amazing guitars and an incredible value. You can get a solid wood guitar, built in North America, for half what a comparable Martin or Taylor would cost.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

Seagull all the way. They are amazing guitars and an incredible value. You can get a solid wood guitar, built in North America, for half what a comparable Martin or Taylor would cost.

Seagull's are great; my wife has one & I wish I could play it, but it's a left handed guitar.

I also have a Takemine A/E & love it. It's taken quite a beating through the years, but has held up nicely.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited April 2017
    Martin DC5PA is on sale at elderly.com for $475.00.

Excellent guitar for the money.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • I second the Godin model guitars if that's the price range. If you have more of a budget you can usually find a year or two old, yet new just hasn't sold, US made Guild for 25 to 30% off on ebay. Still full warranty etc.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    dudeman said:

X Series Martin's come in a few different models. Price should be between $450.00 and $700.00 depending on features. The ones with a "1" in the model number have solid spruce tops. That's worth paying extra money for, IMO. I have a DCX1E that sounds better with every passing year.

I have the exact same martin and absolutely love it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    I had been buying a new, cheap acoustic every couple years until I realized that I should get a "real" guitar. After playing as many different makes and models as I could get my hands on, the Martin stood out as a great guitar and a great deal. Even considering the fact that it's a low end Martin model, I haven't regretted it once.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Can anyone recommend a Martin or Taylor....
    I'd go with Ricky or Swift.
    Nice!
  • rattzeyrattzey Posts: 875
    I have had a Art & Lutherie for over 10 years anf I love it. I also think that for the lower cost models I would go with a Martin.
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    I would tell your friend to have her husband pick out his own guitar. Buying an instrument is a really personal thing and just because one person likes a certain guitar doesn't mean it is going to click with another. Last time I bought a guitar I went in thinking that one model would be perfect, according to the reviews I read. When I went into the store I realized that it was okay, but for $150 more I could get a guitar that I loved. I was lucky that my wife was buying the guitar as a gift for me and she pushed me to get the more expensive one. Now, I finally own a Gretsch!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786

I would tell your friend to have her husband pick out his own guitar. Buying an instrument is a really personal thing and just because one person likes a certain guitar doesn't mean it is going to click with another. Last time I bought a guitar I went in thinking that one model would be perfect, according to the reviews I read. When I went into the store I realized that it was okay, but for $150 more I could get a guitar that I loved. I was lucky that my wife was buying the guitar as a gift for me and she pushed me to get the more expensive one. Now, I finally own a Gretsch!

Can not stress this sentiment enough, really.
    Every instrument I own has found it's own way into my life, not the other way around
    Patience is the most important aspect of finding the right instrument
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I haven't particularly liked any Taylor or Martin guitars I've played, I've had much better affinity for Takamines and higher end Fenders. Alvarez makes a hell of a guitar as well.
    Not that Taylor and Martin don't make good guitars, but you are paying a higher price for the name, not the craftsmanship.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

this 100%
    CM189191 said:

Every instrument I own has found it's own way into my life, not the other way around
    For the record, I have a 1999 Gibson Epiphone AJ 18S OG* and 1984 Yamaha FG-612s that I love

*if anyone can tell me what the OG stands for I would be greatly indebted to you
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

For the record, I have a 1999 Gibson Epiphone AJ 18S OG* and 1984 Yamaha FG-612s that I love

*if anyone can tell me what the OG stands for I would be greatly indebted to you
    outdoor guitar?
    edited April 2017
    CM189191 said:

if anyone can tell me what the OG stands for I would be greatly indebted to you

Original Gangster

Okay, joking aside... what is the guitar's finish? It looks like it might refer to the finish color of the guitar.
    Post edited by mccreadyisgod on

CM189191 said:

if anyone can tell me what the OG stands for I would be greatly indebted to you

Original Gangster

Okay, joking aside... what is the guitar's finish? It looks like it might refer to the finish color of the guitar.
    It's a natural finish. Except every other Gibson Epiphone I have seen, the serial number ends with "NA".

I thought I saw somewhere it might stand for "Old Growth", but have never been able to confirm for certain.

/sorry for the threadjack
    Yeah, it seems like the "NA" stands for Natural, and "VS" stands for Vintage Sunburst. I was wondering if the "G" stands for Glossy, but that's about all I've been able to come up with.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I have two Martins, a 1974 D-18 and a 2006 (I thinks that's the right year) Martin DX1R. They both cost about $500, only back in 1974, that was a lot of money! I honestly like them both about equally. The D-18 is prettier and sounds great in open tunings but the DX1R is a fine instrument for the money. I've played the heck out of the DX1R and am not nearly as afraid to take it camping or what ever.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Older X-Series Martins were made to a pretty high quality standard for the money. I haven't played any of them since they moved production to Mexico. My guess is that they are still fine instruments and a great value.
  • Both guitars can be had for decent prices. The key is playing it yourself because there are many tonal variations and feel differences on every acoustic guitar. Over the years I've played all the major brands at different price levels. If I were to go purchase again I would play all the guitars in the price range I'm looking at and compare the feel, tone, quality of build on each. Don't worry about brand unless the tuners are so horrible it won't stay in tune (that's why I added quality of build). If all of the points are good with you then buy it especially if it's a good deal. Many companies, especially the big ones, have lots of defects on their lower end models which can still be pricey when paying for the name. Now if you get into the ~$1500 and up range most are pretty reliable with the build but I have heard $3000 Martin's sound worse tonally than a $300 one. Same for Taylor. Personally I have a Martin I love that cost me around $500 about 8-10 or so years ago. But my baby is an old Gibson songbird. That thing sounds incredible and the feel is so comfortable I could play it for days without fatigue. It was truly built by an artist and somebody with a golden ear. I did have to lay down $2000 for it used, but it was worth every penny and I easily wouldn't sell it if somebody offered me $20000 for it.
    Anyways that's my input....
    Quality of the woods definitely sets guitars apart from others. Lots of cheaper models use laminated tops and the other woods that might not have been properly dried and cured. I've seen a lot of guitars that were nice when they were new but developed warps, twists and cracks after a couple years.

Most manufacturers are pretty competitive with each other within a particular price range. Just about everything from $500 to $1,000 should be pretty nice, should sound good and be made to a good quality standard with good materials.

I'll echo the sentiment expressed above: Play as many different makes and models as you can and choose the one in your budget that speaks to you.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    dudeman said:

Older X-Series Martins were made to a pretty high quality standard for the money. I haven't played any of them since they moved production to Mexico. My guess is that they are still fine instruments and a great value.

I didn't know they had moved production to Mexico. The were still being made in Nazareth, PA when I toured the C. F. Martin factory there about 10 or 12 years ago. Great tour, by the way!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.