Red Hot Chili Peppers

Comments

• Aeroplane is rare.

Pea seems to have been a by if a staple this tour if more specificity is needed.

Pea is hilarious. I really like it. Flea is an awesome bassist- one of the best for sure.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217

Tickets purchased for Columbia. I don't want to look at setlists so can anyone tell me if they play much off of One Hot Minute? It's my favorite album by them, one or two songs off of it would make me pretty happy.

The only songs they've played from OHM in recent years is Pea and Aeroplane. I'm going to see them tomorrow. Really hoping for "Dreams Of A Samurai"!!
    Hey Erocshifty! I'll be there tomorrow night and then at the Charlotte show on Monday! I'm so pumped for these shows. I second your request for Dreams of a Samurai. I wanna see J. KHoff just go crazy with that guitar. Such a trippy song.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Dreams of a Samurai is great. I think Goodbye Angels edges it out for the top spot on the new album though
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    ^^ Goodbye Angels is such a great song. I wanna hear them throw down that jam at the end.
    ^ Feasting On The Flowers is probably still my fave off the album. Just a cool chill vibe. I might change my mind after hearing Samarai and Angels live though.
  • By The Way...

I've been grooving to Encore a ton these days.

I can't recall if people have been vouching for its awesomeness up to here... but in the event they haven't... this is a really cool tune.
  • But Sick Love...

Just awesome.

What a great release for an 'loser band'. It truly is exceptional.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    edited April 2017
    They haven't played "Encore" yet. I really wish they would. They've been pretty steady with playing "Goodbye Angels" every night. The end jam is sick! I just checked the last 2 setlists and "Samurai" didn't get played tonight, so fingers crossed!
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 

They haven't played "Encore" yet. I really wish they would. They've been pretty steady with playing "Goodbye Angels" every night. The end jam is sick! I just checked the last 2 setlists and "Samurai" didn't get played tonight, so fingers crossed!

Encore has a way of growing on you... It's the Skinny brains lyrics that does it. :smiley:

Nice. Sounds like it might be Samurai tomorrow then!
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    June 25th seems like a million years from now......
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Listened to this album again last night and it's growing on me. Never been a huge fan, but have always liked their hits. Playing through headphones really made a big difference. Some good grooves and hard to believe Kiedis sounds the same as 20 years ago.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergs said:

Listened to this album again last night and it's growing on me. Never been a huge fan, but have always liked their hits. Playing through headphones really made a big difference. Some good grooves and hard to believe Kiedis sounds the same as 20 years ago.

How exciting.

I'm not trying to suggest your a 'newbie' and don't know your ass from a hole in the ground (seriously), but in the event you need a little direction: If you're mostly really familiar with 'the hits'... you really need to go back into their catalogue for deeper cuts that haven't received the airplay so much. You'll find much music that will make your listening to music time very enjoyable.

I've been blathering a bit, but go to Stadium Arcadium and start there. Especially in Michigan, Wet Sand, Strip My Mind, Slow Cheetah... all flat out awesome.

Blood Sugar Sex Magic is full of hits, but the album begs listening to as well. Naked in the Rain is a wicked tune.

Californication: Easily and Emit Remmus are great.

I'll stop.
  • Oh hey...

If you're into reading, Scar Tissue is one of the best rock biographies out there. That and Heavier Than Heaven are the best two in my mind.
    Fornication by Jeff Apter is a pretty great read as well.
  • Fornication by Jeff Apter is a pretty great read as well.

Didn't know of this one. Thank you.
    edited April 2017
    I just watched MTV live with RHCP for I'm with you. Criminally underrated album.
    Post edited by buck502000 on
    Great show this evening! It was really cool seeing Jack Irons, too.
  • But Sick Love...

Just awesome.

What a great release for an 'loser band'. It truly is exceptional.

Wow.

I was just scrolling through this thread seeing the new posts and realized my phone autocorrected 'older band' to 'loser band' in this contribution of mine.

Let me try again being careful: what a great release for an 'older band'. It truly is exceptional.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971

I see there are two openers for the April shows. One is Jack, and the other is BabyMetal? Is Jack up first? How long does he play? How long has RHCP been playing?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan said:

I see there are two openers for the April shows. One is Jack, and the other is BabyMetal? Is Jack up first? How long does he play? How long has RHCP been playing?
    Jack came out first and got a pretty nice introduction from Flea. He played for about 20 minutes and BabyMetal (which is an interesting experience) got about a half an hour, maybe 35 minutes. They are a really unique band. RHCP are playing around an 1 hr and 40 minutes.

tbergs said:

How exciting.

I'm not trying to suggest your a 'newbie' and don't know your ass from a hole in the ground (seriously), but in the event you need a little direction: If you're mostly really familiar with 'the hits'... you really need to go back into their catalogue for deeper cuts that haven't received the airplay so much. You'll find much music that will make your listening to music time very enjoyable.

I've been blathering a bit, but go to Stadium Arcadium and start there. Especially in Michigan, Wet Sand, Strip My Mind, Slow Cheetah... all flat out awesome.

Blood Sugar Sex Magic is full of hits, but the album begs listening to as well. Naked in the Rain is a wicked tune.

I'll stop.
    I'll definitely go back and take another listen to some of their older stuff. I've tried several times to get beyond the surface with their music, but always gave up. Honestly, Stadium kind of annoyed me just because it got so much fanfare and PJ self titled got kicked to the curb in its shadow. I thought there was some good stuff on Stadium, but it was a bit bloated. Been quite a few years since I tried to listen to it though. The Give It Away music video and Under the Bridge top 40 success back in the day is what got me into them just enough to be a fan. Remember the quirky Rollercoaster of Love from high school and the Scar Tissue comeback when I was in college.

This is the first album I can honestly say I like the majority of songs after just a few listens. Very solid album with the perfect stretch for me from Goodbye Angels - This Ticonderoga. Highlights for me are Feasting on the Flowers, Goodbye Angels and Dreams of a Samurai.

I guess I'll be spinning lots of RHCP on my commute this week :)

Oh hey...

If you're into reading, Scar Tissue is one of the best rock biographies out there. That and Heavier Than Heaven are the best two in my mind.

Thanks, I'll check them out as well.
    edited April 2017
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

How exciting.

I'll stop.
    I'll definitely go back and take another listen to some of their older stuff. I've tried several times to get beyond the surface with their music, but always gave up. Honestly, Stadium kind of annoyed me just because it got so much fanfare and PJ self titled got kicked to the curb in its shadow. I thought there was some good stuff on Stadium, but it was a bit bloated. Been quite a few years since I tried to listen to it though. The Give It Away music video and Under the Bridge top 40 success back in the day is what got me into them just enough to be a fan. Remember the quirky Rollercoaster of Love from high school and the Scar Tissue comeback when I was in college.

This is the first album I can honestly say I like the majority of songs after just a few listens. Very solid album with the perfect stretch for me from Goodbye Angels - This Ticonderoga. Highlights for me are Feasting on the Flowers, Goodbye Angels and Dreams of a Samurai.

I guess I'll be spinning lots of RHCP on my commute this week :)
    There's some excellent bootlegs out there of shows between 1999-2007 that are worth checking out. The Stadium Arcadium Tour is full of great live jams and some pretty stellar shows. They're pretty easy to find online. There's a few official ones from these years and they started releasing live downloads full time in 2011.
    Post edited by erocshifty on
    They are an excellent studio band and put on a decent live show. I think the shows would be better if the band was touring less and having longer/varied set lists.

They are an excellent studio band and put on a decent live show. I think the shows would be better if the band was touring less and having longer/varied set lists.

I agree. They tour until they drop. The sets were longer on the Stadium Arcadium and I'm With You Tours than they are currently. They've trimmed between 15-25 minutes from their sets. I really would've like to have gotten at least a couple of more songs..They've never switched up their setlists quite as much as PJ, but they do throw some variety in there. The 2006-2007 shows were insane. Lots of good improv jamming. They toured so much that John got burned out, though. Their studio work is hard to top. Every album has a decent amount of b-sides. I'm Beside You was a pleasant surprise a few years ago. "Happy RSD, here's a 17 song record!" None have surfaced from The Getaway, though.
    Just got back from a three day whirlwind of traveling and two RHCP shows thrown into the mix. I am exhausted, but couldn't be happier.

So here goes....

We got Wet Sand at the Raleigh show!!!!!! And Charlie!! Kiedis actually just sang the first verse of Charlie and spent the next two verses getting a drink and taking a mini break. The band continued to play and it was a total funky groovefest. They also played I Like Dirt. That is a fun little jam. Go Robot was excellent live. Bass line was badass. Ending jam on Goodbye Angels was sick. Intro jam to Californication was reminiscent of the total Fru/Flea throw down at Slane Castle 2003. That "Easily" could have been my favorite song of the night...except that they played Mother F*cking Wet Sand!!! :rock_on:

*side note* Josh K.Hoff wore a Pearl Jam stick man shirt at Raleigh show with Skully written on it. This was to pay homage to the first PJ's roadie (from Raleigh) that suffered a heart attack and passed a year ago last April. Eddie mentioned him and dedicated Light Years to him at the opening show of the tour in Florida last year.

Round Two.. Charlotte

It has been mentioned that RHCP does not like to change up their setlist that often. And that seemed to be the case. I went into the Charlotte show expecting to get a similar experience to Raleigh with the exception of 4 - 5 different songs. Well...I was sorely and pleasantly mistaken. They only played 5 songs from the previous show!! We got all sorts of deep cuts like Power of Equality, Higher Ground and Me and My Friends. They played Parallel Universe (Holy Base!!!) Snow, Can't Stop, She's Only 18 ...And my favorite song of the night.. Zephyr Song!!! Such a positive, fun jam. Still in disbelief that I got to see that one. Never in a million years woulda thought they'd play that one.

The lights and special effects were trippy and well coordinated. In summary, these guys still got it and brought it all!
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Well damn ^ now I really can't wait for tomorrow night
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Just got back from a three day whirlwind of traveling and two RHCP shows thrown into the mix. I am exhausted, but couldn't be happier.

So here goes....

We got Wet Sand at the Raleigh show!!!!!! And Charlie!! Kiedis actually just sang the first verse of Charlie and spent the next two verses getting a drink and taking a mini break. The band continued to play and it was a total funky groovefest. They also played I Like Dirt. That is a fun little jam. Go Robot was excellent live. Bass line was badass. Ending jam on Goodbye Angels was sick. Intro jam to Californication was reminiscent of the total Fru/Flea throw down at Slane Castle 2003. That "Easily" could have been my favorite song of the night...except that they played Mother F*cking Wet Sand!!! :rock_on:

*side note* Josh K.Hoff wore a Pearl Jam stick man shirt at Raleigh show with Skully written on it. This was to pay homage to the first PJ's roadie (from Raleigh) that suffered a heart attack and passed a year ago last April. Eddie mentioned him and dedicated Light Years to him at the opening show of the tour in Florida last year.

Round Two.. Charlotte

It has been mentioned that RHCP does not like to change up their setlist that often. And that seemed to be the case. I went into the Charlotte show expecting to get a similar experience to Raleigh with the exception of 4 - 5 different songs. Well...I was sorely and pleasantly mistaken. They only played 5 songs from the previous show!! We got all sorts of deep cuts like Power of Equality, Higher Ground and Me and My Friends. They played Parallel Universe (Holy Base!!!) Snow, Can't Stop, She's Only 18 ...And my favorite song of the night.. Zephyr Song!!! Such a positive, fun jam. Still in disbelief that I got to see that one. Never in a million years woulda thought they'd play that one.

The lights and special effects were trippy and well coordinated. In summary, these guys still got it and brought it all!

Which boot are you looking more forward to?

Just got back from a three day whirlwind of traveling and two RHCP shows thrown into the mix. I am exhausted, but couldn't be happier.

So here goes....

Round Two.. Charlotte

Nice review! I thought Josh had a Stickman shirt on, but couldn't see that it said Skully, but thought that it did. Wet Sand!! Charlotte looked like an incredible show, glad they brought it, even though I figured they would! RHCP do not disappoint..That light show was amazing. The bootlegs are already up from D.C. and Atlanta, so we should be getting these within the next day or two.

Well damn ^ now I really can't wait for tomorrow night

Yesss! You're gonna have a blast. They just have so much energy and they put on such a solid show.

So here goes....

Round Two.. Charlotte

Which boot are you looking more forward to?
    Well that is a tough decision...both shows were unique. Maybe the Charlotte show a little more since they seemed to mix in those older tunes. But come on..Wet Sand in Raleigh! I'm looking forward to listening to that one as well.

So here goes....

Round Two.. Charlotte

Nice review! I thought Josh had a Stickman shirt on, but couldn't see that it said Skully, but thought that it did. Wet Sand!! Charlotte looked like an incredible show, glad they brought it, even though I figured they would! RHCP do not disappoint..That light show was amazing. The bootlegs are already up from D.C. and Atlanta, so we should be getting these within the next day or two.
    Thanks. And yess, Wet Sand!! Just a totally epic moment. And, the lights were just so cool. I was side stage the first night and they seemed to flow up in down in waves. 2nd night saw them from about halfway back on the floor. Completely different perspective. The lights felt like they were gonna drop down and hit me at times. :lol: It was great.