A Pearl Jam residency in Seattle?

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited April 2017
    Pop on your Showbox DVD... Ed talks about this... he essentialy says screw touring, we just stay hear and you guys come to us

Post edited by my2hands on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    3-4 shows spread over a week in years when they aren't touring. Shows at the beginning and end of tours in years when they are.

I would be 100% on board with this. Plus, if it helps Seattle get their basketball team back after they were so screwed by the NBA then all the better.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    I am in and will travel and try and stay and work out there as well .Like a working vacation .Need to start looking at ranches and horse farms or Polo teams any big outfit that needs a Farrier .To work on the Horses

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • bbisonbbison Posts: 215
    The article mentions a residency like Billy Joel does at MSG--that's nothing like a Vegas residency. Here are the upcoming shows:
    May 25 Thu
    Billy Joel - In Concert
    08:00 PM
    Jun 6 Tue
    Billy Joel - In Concert
    Jul 5 Wed
    Billy Joel - In Concert
    Aug 21 Mon
    Billy Joel - In Concert

The Garden press release touted him as their 4th franchise. One show a month for as long as both parties want to continue:
    http://www.billyjoelmsg.com/

Band members have mentioned in interviews the reluctance to do extended tours, but also the need for the corporate entity of Pearl Jam to generate revenue, as they have people on the payroll year round. Playing one "home game" a month would satisfy both (not that they'd quit touring--Billy Joel sure hasn't.) Of course, they could already do this now at the existing Key Arena.

Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Might be yet another reason to consider moving back up to Washington!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Not that I'm against it but it's already expensive to live here. Now throw in a PJ show every month. Ouch!

I'd find a way...
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    MayDay10 said:

PSUS2H said:

I don't think a residency is cool, the band is aware of their image, they won't do it.

I cant picture a residency without the act going through the motions.

It is difficult imagining this. The setup sounds like the band would be used as a tool to make a handful of rich men money on an investment.

The thing doesnt seem like pearl jam to me. These shows would lose luster. Its really cool how each show has an identity. The bootleg for "seattle 22" wont have the same character or pull as "milwaukee", "moline", or "msg 2".

I do get why there are things that make this attractive for the band though

I would love to see PJ in Seattle because I've never been + I live on the west coast but.............
    this seems like an old man sell-out move IMO.

Maybe 10 years from now but at this point I think the live shows would loose a lot of the magic, the exact reason why we all go to see them over and over again.
    I think they might get a little board with it too... getting pumped up for a tour is one thing but trying to get to that mental state for 1 or 2 shows would be a whole different kind of energy, I think it would feel fake or manufactured.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RKCNDY said:

I like how all the east coast fans that have 50+ shows under their belt are freaking out...hey, try seeing them here on the west coast where the closest distance between venues is 3 hours.

or in central canada, where the closest distance between venues is a plane ride.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Considering they only played 1 show at Key Arena in 2013 (for reasons unknown), it would be cool to see them play extended dates at the venue. The article supports that they have an aversion to playing that venue right now (due to the horrible sound). Anything that gets them to play more than 1 show there every 4 or 5 years is a good thing :)

The only downside is if they start playing Key arena all the time, does that mean no Gorge shows?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I guess it means something to them. makes sense I guess, the amount of times Ed mentions during shows "you've got a beautiful place/room here".
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Olivavu said:
    Runnin' with the devil.

Anyway, the two Key Arena renovation proposal groups have begun battling against each other, and the reality is that neither properly addresses bringing the Sonics and hockey to Seattle. The Mayor and the City Council are wacky, and are fixated on renovating Key Arena even though there is already an investor group who for years has had the money, the will and the ability to privately fund a new sports arena. The majority of voters are happy with that 3rd plan (which was actually the 1st plan), which is to build a privately funded sports arena in a more appropriate location (near the stadium and ballpark), with backers who already have relationships with the sports leagues and have been in talks for franchises for some time. The Oak View Group's plan, which is the PJ plan, is the worst of the 3 in terms of needing public bonds, no emphasis on sports, etc... I just don't see that it will have any real traction beyond 10c/PJ fans, and perhaps the city. There are 2 outsider groups fulfilling the city administration's hopes of a Key renovation, and a local group of investors supported by local athletes and the majority of sports fans (and non-sports fans who don't want public money spent on a new facility) proposing a new, modern arena which could also be used for music, but built primarily for sports. City leadership has no finger on the pulse of their constituency, and continues to swim against the tide. Hopefully they all drown at some point. The champion for the Key Arena renovation, Mayor Murray, is about to be distracted by a re-election race against a former mayor, while he's also defending himself against charges of having been a sexual predator. I don't think he'll really have the time or will to battle for the Oak View Group's plan.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    This won't happen for a while but if and when it does, it'll make sense.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Zod said:

Considering they only played 1 show at Key Arena in 2013 (for reasons unknown), it would be cool to see them play extended dates at the venue. The article supports that they have an aversion to playing that venue right now (due to the horrible sound). Anything that gets them to play more than 1 show there every 4 or 5 years is a good thing :)

The only downside is if they start playing Key arena all the time, does that mean no Gorge shows?

1 seattle show this decade so far, with no shows in sight... sucks
    I also a agree that a privately funded New Arena seems like a pretty good idea. How is that not going through? Renovating an old crappy arena is ok, but being able to build a new modern one, that would be better :)
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    I'd love this for my own selfish reasons...The Key is honestly the worst sounding arena I have ever been in. I've been to about 20 shows there and out of those there are only 3 that that the sound was OK. Pearl Jam playing there regularly would just be extra gravy.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    is the key arena in downtown? (i'm thinking right next to safeco for some reason)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

is the key arena in downtown? (i'm thinking right next to safeco for some reason)

Key is just north of downtown, right under the Space Needle.
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    mcgruff10 said:

It's on the other side of town, right under the Space Needle. I wasn't too invested in this as I am not a huge baskeball/hockey fan, but I would honestly prefer to move the location entirely, regardless of a PJ residency. The Key is a pain in the ass to get to from the freeway, especially with all the construction going on in the SLU/Mercer area.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Lukin66 said:

mcgruff10 said:

It's on the other side of town, right under the Space Needle. I wasn't too invested in this as I am not a huge baskeball/hockey fan, but I would honestly prefer to move the location entirely, regardless of a PJ residency. The Key is a pain in the ass to get to from the freeway, especially with all the construction going on in the SLU/Mercer area.
    is parking an issue?
    and is the sound muddled? too much echo?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited April 2017
    mcgruff10 said:

The Key Arena is north of the downtown area in the Seattle Center. The stadium and ballpark are south downtown Seattle. Parking and traffic congestion are no fun in either location, but south of downtown can handle it. The Seattle Center is a total pain to get to, and parking is scarce.

The Key itself sucks for sound. Definitely muddy. The only time I ever go see shows there anymore is if PJ is playing, but otherwise, I avoid it like the plague.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    jeffbr said:

Olivavu said:
    Runnin' with the devil.

Anyway, the two Key Arena renovation proposal groups have begun battling against each other, and the reality is that neither properly addresses bringing the Sonics and hockey to Seattle. The Mayor and the City Council are wacky, and are fixated on renovating Key Arena even though there is already an investor group who for years has had the money, the will and the ability to privately fund a new sports arena. The majority of voters are happy with that 3rd plan (which was actually the 1st plan), which is to build a privately funded sports arena in a more appropriate location (near the stadium and ballpark), with backers who already have relationships with the sports leagues and have been in talks for franchises for some time. The Oak View Group's plan, which is the PJ plan, is the worst of the 3 in terms of needing public bonds, no emphasis on sports, etc... I just don't see that it will have any real traction beyond 10c/PJ fans, and perhaps the city. There are 2 outsider groups fulfilling the city administration's hopes of a Key renovation, and a local group of investors supported by local athletes and the majority of sports fans (and non-sports fans who don't want public money spent on a new facility) proposing a new, modern arena which could also be used for music, but built primarily for sports. City leadership has no finger on the pulse of their constituency, and continues to swim against the tide. Hopefully they all drown at some point. The champion for the Key Arena renovation, Mayor Murray, is about to be distracted by a re-election race against a former mayor, while he's also defending himself against charges of having been a sexual predator. I don't think he'll really have the time or will to battle for the Oak View Group's plan.
    This.

With all the $ and effort, and demands of a new tenant... a new facility seems like it makes much more sense. The NHL is dying to get into Seattle IMO.
    I don't mind Key's location. It's outside the core, so the hotels are usually a bit cheaper around the arena than downtown. There's not really much for hotels around Centurylink/Safeco, so you end up staying right downtown which is about a 30 to 40 minute walk to the stadiums.

I always liked Key Arena's location. Truth be told I keep finding better ways to get to Seattle. For ToTD last year we took the ferry to port angeles, and then took one from bainbridge island right into seattle. Next time I might leave the truck on Bainbridge island and walk on the ferry. Then there's no need to deal with skyhigh parking prices and traffic in Seattle itself :)
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,442
    This will never happen until the band is happy with the sound at the new facility.
    Seattle cant support a PJ residency at an arena. Wasn't there unsold tickets the last time they played there?
    I would love to visit almost any major city for a PJ residency. Bring it on!
    Get_Right said:

This will never happen until the band is happy with the sound at the new facility.
    Seattle cant support a PJ residency at an arena. Wasn't there unsold tickets the last time they played there?

Noooo. Tix were very hard to find in 2013. I had to end up buying outside the arena day of show.
    Get_Right said:

No. It was the opposite. The last show sold out in less than 10 seconds. The demand was so high, that resale values were pretty crazy. No one knows why they only opted to play 1 show last time. Someone "leaked" the date on the forums a while before it got officially announced, except it was supposed to be two dates. The leak was spot on, but the 2nd show didn't materialize.

I think it was the first time they only did a single show at Key in as far back as I can remember. '09 was two, '02 was two, '00 was two, '98 was two, '96 was two. Fans travel from all over to see the hometown shows. The rest of the NorthWest might not sell superfast, but the Seattle shows go superquick.
    1996 was actually one show at Key and a warm up show at the Showbox a couple of nights earlier.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Key is pretty bad for sound. Spectrum was my favorite. Better than MSG. Never caught them at Chicago Stadium or the Boston Garden tho
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited April 2017
    mr bungle said:

1996 was actually one show at Key and a warm up show at the Showbox a couple of nights earlier.

YUP :rock_on:
    The '96 show at Key Arena was my first show!!
    The '98 shows were at Memorial Stadium.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

mr bungle said:

duly noted. It's the last Key Arena show I missed, for some reason I thought it was two.