America's Gun Violence

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

No, you guys are right. Biometric safes fly off the shelves so fast that is becoming one of the largest industries in America!

Sarcasm is funny :). Safe companies definitely do not seem to be hurting right now...I may be wrong. Besides, not every gun owner needs a biometric type quick access safe. There are plenty of other options out there and everyone's house is built differently. They are smart options when staying in hotels and traveling though.
    Key word there is smart. It seems like the standards to be in the militia are pretty low. Lot's of dumbasses out there with guns.
    If you are referring to the standards for being in America, then I mostly agree. That's why law abiding citizens do feel the need to arm themselves.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

No, you guys are right. Biometric safes fly off the shelves so fast that is becoming one of the largest industries in America!

Sarcasm is funny :). Safe companies definitely do not seem to be hurting right now...I may be wrong. Besides, not every gun owner needs a biometric type quick access safe. There are plenty of other options out there and everyone's house is built differently. They are smart options when staying in hotels and traveling though.
    Key word there is smart. It seems like the standards to be in the militia are pretty low. Lot's of dumbasses out there with guns.
    If you are referring to the standards for being in America, then I mostly agree. That's why law abiding citizens do feel the need to arm themselves.
    Gun ownership does decrease as education increases
    College Post Graduate 30 %
    College Graduate 37 %
    Some College 41 %
    High School Graduate or Less 42 %
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

College Graduate 37 %
    Some College 41 %
    Are you inferring that the uneducated are criminals? I question the methodology of how those statistics were gathered. Even if they are correct, there is a thousand ways they could be interpreted. One way may be that uneducated people live in poverty stricken neighborhoods at a greater percentage and feel a greater need to arm themselves. But again, I question a valid method of gathering demographic firearm ownership data when a large number of gun owners most likely would not answer firearm related surveys accurately. Unless the surveyors are actually going in and checking houses over...There should be a disclaimer of "these are based on survey answers and may not reflect the truth".
    edited April 2017
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

College Graduate 37 %
    Some College 41 %
    Are you inferring that the uneducated are criminals? I question the methodology of how those statistics were gathered. Even if they are correct, there is a thousand ways they could be interpreted. One way may be that uneducated people live in poverty stricken neighborhoods at a greater percentage and feel a greater need to arm themselves. But again, I question a valid method of gathering demographic firearm ownership data when a large number of gun owners most likely would not answer firearm related surveys accurately. Unless the surveyors are actually going in and checking houses over...There should be a disclaimer of "these are based on survey answers and may not reflect the truth".
    The study is inferring there is a correlation between gun ownership and the uneducated. Or, the more educated one is, the less likely they are to own a gun. There is no inference about causation.

As for the methodology, they appear to be pretty transparent: http://www.statisticbrain.com/our-methodology/
    And sources cited too: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Gallup Inc, Pew Research

There should be a disclaimer: "Information enclosed may not fit with your world view, but that does not mean it is not accurate."
    Post edited by CM189191 on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    edited April 2017
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

College Graduate 37 %
    Some College 41 %
    The study is inferring there is a correlation between gun ownership and the uneducated. Or, the more educated one is, the less likely they are to own a gun. There is no inference about causation.

As for the methodology, they appear to be pretty transparent: http://www.statisticbrain.com/our-methodology/
    And sources cited too: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Gallup Inc, Pew Research

There should be a disclaimer: "Information enclosed may not fit with your world view, but that does not mean it is not accurate."
    "We collect data using 4 main methods; Online surveys, Phone surveys, In-Person Interviews, and Direct Mail Questionnaires.

And I wonder if certain demographics are more inclined to answer these types of surveys accurately? Maybe we should survey and see... For instance, would an educated republican be more inclined or less to answer a gun survey accurately?
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

College Graduate 37 %
    Some College 41 %

I have two BA's and a master and own over a dozen firearms. I guess i'm some sort of anomaly.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

College Graduate 37 %
    Some College 41 %

I have two BA's and a master and own over a dozen firearms. I guess i'm some sort of anomaly.
    30% is hardly an anomoly
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

College Graduate 37 %
    Some College 41 %

"We collect data using 4 main methods; Online surveys, Phone surveys, In-Person Interviews, and Direct Mail Questionnaires.

And I wonder if certain demographics are more inclined to answer these types of surveys accurately? Maybe we should survey and see... For instance, would an educated republican be more inclined or less to answer a gun survey accurately?
    Statistic Brain’s corporate policies and procedures dictate that each employee shall aggregate research from multiple sources including: varying news outlets, think tanks and white papers, focus groups, social media, industry standards and benchmarking, subject matter experts (SME’s), internal research, etc.)
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Yeah. Gun owners are either stupid or just uneducated, uninformed rednecks living in fear.

Is that about right?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    Oh yeah, they're all implicit in any crime that anyone commits with a gun.

All have blood on their hands........
    dudeman said:

Yeah. Gun owners are either stupid or just uneducated, uninformed rednecks living in fear.

Is that about right?

you forgot religious extremists
    Ooops! Sorry. I should have gotten more schooling.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    dudeman said:

Is that about right?

Just more likely to have less education. The fear question is a good one, though. Maybe an area for more research?
    CM189191 said:

dudeman said:

Is that about right?

you forgot religious extremists
    Another good one: the relationship between religious extremism and gun ownership.
  • mcgruff10 said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

College Graduate 37 %
    Some College 41 %

You also knuckle drag when you walk down the street too. Don't forget about that one you University of Guatemala graduate.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

mcgruff10 said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

College Graduate 37 %
    Some College 41 %

You also knuckle drag when you walk down the street too. Don't forget about that one you University of Guatemala graduate.
    The humor does not preclude the fact that America has serious problems that simply doesn't exist in other countries.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

So, would you recommend that those people who are distrustful of police purchase guns so that they can protect themselves?

I don't recommend purchasing a gun for protection, but the logic of many of pro-gun folks says yes, people should buy guns to protect themselves from any perceived threat.
    For the life of me... I can't understand how people do not understand that the risk of getting killed or injured by a gun increases dramatically after a gun is introduced to a home.

Home invaders are a threat, but nowhere near the threat the gun itself is.
    So, you think that people should be able to own guns for self defense but those who choose to exercise their right are idiots?
    No. I don't think that.

I'm saying having a gun in your house exponentially increases your odds of a firearm related accident for you or anyone in your house.
    I always found this to be an interesting argument. Having a child in the house increases the odds of a child peeing on the floor. Having drain cleaner in the house increases the odds of someone poisoning themselves with drain cleaner. Having sleeping pills in the house increases the odds of a sleeping pill overdose. How do you decrease the odds? Lock shit up! Do not leave your drain cleaner accessible to children, etc. The only way a gun will harm someone unintentionally is due to negligence, as with the sleeping pills, drain cleaner, etc.
    I would also argue that having a firearm in the house exponentially increases the odds of your own survival if drugged up armed intruders break in while you are there. Or a few teens armed with knives and brass knuckles as in a recent incident.
    Who actually has the capability to secure their guns from children yet still have them quickly accessible for protection from a home invasion.
    NOBODY!
    Bullshit, there are plenty of quickly accessible biometric or quick release combination safe options out there for just this thing.
    https://thegunsafes.net/biometric-gun-safe-reviews/
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

Probably more than 90% of guy owners don't. You know it in your heart even if you won't admit it.
    You are completely full of shit! Most people I know that have children have something similar. You are totally uneducated on the subject. Go back to a topic you have a glimmer of intelligence on...seriously. I have actually received and given these mini-vaults many times as Christmas presents...I'm from Texas and I know a hell of a lot of gun owners that use these, if for nothing else so they do not get their firearms stolen.
    Bullshit. I don't know a single gun owner who has anything but a plain old gun safe.
    You want everyone to believe a fantasy, people aren't gonna buy it.
    So says the person spouting the gun control fallacies.
    What fallacies?
    I live in the middle where common sense shows it's face, not some fantasy land where there are tens of millions of biometric safes in use and kids don't kill themselves every week with their parents' guns.
    There are always going to be responsible and irresponsible people out there, whether they are doing drugs, playing with guns, joy riding in cars, etc. That does not discount the fact that there are also a ton of responsible people out there that should not have there right to protect themselves (from the irresponsible) with a firearm trampled on.
    So can we have as many rules with guns as we do with cars?
    No, no, no, because, um, the Constitution.
    You mean the second amendment, which calls for a "well regulated Militia."
    Heller validated it applies to the individual. Next.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    unsung said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

So, would you recommend that those people who are distrustful of police purchase guns so that they can protect themselves?

I don't recommend purchasing a gun for protection, but the logic of many of pro-gun folks says yes, people should buy guns to protect themselves from any perceived threat.
    For the life of me... I can't understand how people do not understand that the risk of getting killed or injured by a gun increases dramatically after a gun is introduced to a home.

So, you think that people should be able to own guns for self defense but those who choose to exercise their right are idiots?
    No. I don't think that.

I'm saying having a gun in your house exponentially increases your odds of a firearm related accident for you or anyone in your house.
    I always found this to be an interesting argument. Having a child in the house increases the odds of a child peeing on the floor. Having drain cleaner in the house increases the odds of someone poisoning themselves with drain cleaner. Having sleeping pills in the house increases the odds of a sleeping pill overdose. How do you decrease the odds? Lock shit up! Do not leave your drain cleaner accessible to children, etc. The only way a gun will harm someone unintentionally is due to negligence, as with the sleeping pills, drain cleaner, etc.
    I would also argue that having a firearm in the house exponentially increases the odds of your own survival if drugged up armed intruders break in while you are there. Or a few teens armed with knives and brass knuckles as in a recent incident.
    Who actually has the capability to secure their guns from children yet still have them quickly accessible for protection from a home invasion.
    NOBODY!
    Bullshit, there are plenty of quickly accessible biometric or quick release combination safe options out there for just this thing.
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

Probably more than 90% of guy owners don't. You know it in your heart even if you won't admit it.
    You are completely full of shit! Most people I know that have children have something similar. You are totally uneducated on the subject. Go back to a topic you have a glimmer of intelligence on...seriously. I have actually received and given these mini-vaults many times as Christmas presents...I'm from Texas and I know a hell of a lot of gun owners that use these, if for nothing else so they do not get their firearms stolen.
    Bullshit. I don't know a single gun owner who has anything but a plain old gun safe.
    What fallacies?
    I live in the middle where common sense shows it's face, not some fantasy land where there are tens of millions of biometric safes in use and kids don't kill themselves every week with their parents' guns.
    There are always going to be responsible and irresponsible people out there, whether they are doing drugs, playing with guns, joy riding in cars, etc. That does not discount the fact that there are also a ton of responsible people out there that should not have there right to protect themselves (from the irresponsible) with a firearm trampled on.
    Well if ONE person says so...
    Add Iowa to the list of states to avoid
    Branstad signs 'stand-your-ground' gun bill

unsung said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

What fallacies?
    Exactly. When you happen to agree with a Supreme Court decision it's the word of God. We'll ignore all the courts stance prior to Heller that said it didn't apply to the individual. For all those years, the courts were just wrong apparently.

unsung said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

What fallacies?
    Exactly. When you happen to agree with a Supreme Court decision it's the word of God. We'll ignore all the courts stance prior to Heller that said it didn't apply to the individual. For all those years, the courts were just wrong apparently.
    Apparently...and I fully see you guys leaning on a Supreme Court decision if, in the unlikely event, it were reversed.
    PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

What fallacies?
    Apparently...and I fully see you guys leaning on a Supreme Court decision if, in the unlikely event, it were reversed.
    Let's be honest, at the end of the day, all these guns nuts are nothing but pawns, rubes & useful idiots. Telling people the government is coming to steal their guns drives voters to the polls to vote R. It's a wedge issue to get suckers riled up and vote for patriotism.

If the GOP & NRA were serious about the gun rights of the individual, why don't they simply revise the Constitution for clarity?

They already ignore the most important part anyways:
    edited April 2017
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

What fallacies?
    Let's be honest, at the end of the day, all these guns nuts are nothing but pawns, rubes & useful idiots. Telling people the government is coming to steal their guns drives voters to the polls to vote R. It's a wedge issue to get suckers riled up and vote for patriotism.

If the GOP & NRA were serious about the gun rights of the individual, why don't they simply revise the Constitution for clarity?

The 1st amendment mentions nothing about the internet...are you sure it applies? What other amendments should we start revising? Gun manufacturers should actually encourage Democrat votes, great for business and as you implied, will never actually succeed in "stealing guns". The idiots are the crybabies that think America will ever actually be a "gun free zone".
    PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

What fallacies?
    My reaction would be "I think 2A applies to a militia, and the Supreme Court agrees". Not "I'm right and you're wrong and the Supreme Court says so". Subtle, but big difference.
    edited April 2017

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

What fallacies?
    My reaction would be "I think 2A applies to a militia, and the Supreme Court agrees". Not "I'm right and you're wrong and the Supreme Court says so". Subtle, but big difference.
    Not really, my stance is that the 2A applies to the people, and the Supreme Court agrees. The big difference is that, currently, the Supreme Court does not agree with your thought. Anyways, this is getting a little absurd, I'm out.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on

mcgruff10 said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

College Graduate 37 %
    Some College 41 %

University of South by SouthEast Honduras jack ass. Get it right.
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

What fallacies?

The 1st amendment mentions nothing about the internet...are you sure it applies? What other amendments should we start revising? Gun manufacturers should actually encourage Democrat votes, great for business and as you implied, will never actually succeed in "stealing guns". The idiots are the crybabies that think America will ever actually be a "gun free zone".
    ...ramblings of a madman...
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

What fallacies?

I mean, I had my reservations about the 18th. But it seems we got that one sorted out. The 13th and the 18th were nice additions.

Updating or revising the Constitution is not unpresidented.

fun fact: did you know it took 202 years to ratify the 27th Amendment?
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

What fallacies?

I mean, I had my reservations about the 18th. But it seems we got that one sorted out. The 13th and the 18th were nice additions.

Why the heck do you like the 18th amendment?! It was a complete failure lol.
    I'm gonna have a beer and toast you! ;)
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

What fallacies?

I mean, I had my reservations about the 18th. But it seems we got that one sorted out. The 13th and the 18th 19th were nice additions.

ftfm
This discussion has been closed.