Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Our country is becoming potheads.
    F#ck
  • Great news for Canada. Marks progressive thinking.

While some countries have taken steps backwards... we're making progress.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Great news for Canada. Marks progressive thinking.

Ok, please don't retort w/ a giant graph and an empirical study that shows legalizing this is progressive thinking.
    I want to know how a such a good brain personally as yours could think so.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Great news for Canada. Marks progressive thinking.

Ok, please don't retort w/ a giant graph and an empirical study that shows legalizing this is progressive thinking.
    I want to know how a such a good brain personally as yours could think so.
    No facts please, just agree with me or you are wrong.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • ^^^
    Do you guys really want cannabis legalized?
  • ^^^

How could you possibly think we wouldn't?

Do you think we're stupid?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Great news for Canada. Marks progressive thinking.

It's taken too long, but still welcome news.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

^^^

Yes
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

^^^

Yes. And we have mountains of data to evidence why. None of which you will accept.

You only accept personal stories, so maybe you should provide your personal story on how cannabis has negatively effected your life to an extent that you want people who use it to be considered criminals. For the sake of making a shred of sense, please don't include anything that applies equally to alcohol, which you don't advocate as criminal.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2017
    Deleted by Admin
    Post edited by Sea on
    edited April 2017
    deleted by Admin
    Post edited by Sea on
    Without taking anything away from rgambs' thoughtful post, I would add some practicality. Canada is already a "country of potheads", as you claim to be concerned about. We have some of the highest rates of cannabis use among Western nations. And yet, the country hasn't fallen apart from it.

Legalization will remove the reality of criminal convictions for simple possession for personal use. If done properly, it will remove an income stream from gangs and organized crime and provide a product that isn't adulterated while removing exposure to dealers who are trying to sell more than just weed.

If you are opposed, maybe consider stating the reasons for your opposition instead of making personal digs about other posters' children.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited April 2017
    deleted by Admin
    Post edited by Sea on
    During the legislation announcement Thursday, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale noted that Canadian teenagers are "among the heaviest users in the western world."

Given this, legalization is unlikely to significantly increase use among teens, I would say. Will it increase use among adults who have avoided it due to concerns about illegal access? Maybe, maybe not.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/04/15/teens-thoughts-on-pot-unchanged-after-legalization-news-they-say_n_16037048.html
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I could see the odd adult trying it fir the first time at a dinner party with good friends once its legal, but I think that will be a rare occurrence. It will just end the stigma, piss off the very conservative among us, add a moderate economic boost to each of the provinces, maybe have a curbing effect on alcoholism, and take away the dangers if buying it on the street.

And possibly ignite a new generation of musicians.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited April 2017
    deleted by Admin

Post edited by Sea on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    edited April 2017
    deleted by Admin
    Post edited by Sea on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    edited April 2017
    deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    edited April 2017
    Re-opened. Some recent comments have been removed. Please see the Posting Guidelines and the Announcement at the top of AMT.
    Please take your personal issues with other members off the forum. If you see a problem post, report and ignore. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk. Thank you.
    Forum Posting Guidelines:
    1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

a. We operate on the "I'm rubber, you're glue" philosophy so if you make a wonderful, thoughtful post with good points and call the other guy a moron while you're at it, it'll be removed. See #3.

3. There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.

etc http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/67751/bombs-dropping-down
    Discuss the topic, not the people discussing the topic. No personal comments. Look your comments over before hitting Submit and be sure you're debating THE TOPIC.
    Post edited by Sea on
    This lumber tarrif idiocy is ridiculous, sorry guys.
  • An interesting development.

I'm curious to know how things would play out in the long term if the US and Canada limited trade between them.

An interesting development.

I'm curious to know how things would play out in the long term if the US and Canada limited trade between them.

We will cut down our scant remaining forests while y'all are selling lumber to the rest of the world.
  • rgambs said:

We will cut down our scant remaining forests while y'all are selling lumber to the rest of the world.
    That's how I see it.

There's other resources you guys want too. I'd obviously expect a price hike for those given Trump's tariff if there's a game to be played here.

rgambs said:

That's how I see it.

There's other resources you guys want too. I'd obviously expect a price hike for those given Trump's tariff if there's a game to be played here.
    This one pisses me off, I don't want to see Canada deforested either, but y'all got some fucking trees up there. Like, more than a few, and in ecosystems vast enough that make lumber more renewable than we what we have.
    But, no, we gotta have our guys making the money so we will cut down what little forest we have left.
  • It's short term thinking at best.

As long as Trump can boast about a teeny weeny little spike in the forestry sector... he'll do it. And the guppies so eager to stroke his ego will lap it up thinking he's making America great again (leaving the mess for your kids to deal with).
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited April 2017
    O'Leary just dropped out of the Conservative leadership race because, while he thinks he would have won the race, he doesn't think he can beat Trudeau in a federal election. I'm somewhat impressed by the decision actually. He may or may not be right (I'd like to think he's right, but I'm not sure I have that much faith in Canadian voters, and that isn't a comment about Trudeau, who I think is generally doing just fine even though I've disagreed with a few decisions he's made). But it's good that he made a decision that won't put Canada in a kind of toned down Trump situation. We don't need any more business fat cats turned reality TV stars leading countries.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

O'Leary just dropped out of the Conservative leadership race because, while he thinks he would have won the race, he doesn't think he can beat Trudeau in a federal election. I'm somewhat impressed by the decision actually. He may or may not be right (I'd like to think he's right, but I'm not sure I have that much faith in Canadian voters, and that isn't a comment about Trudeau, who I think is generally doing just fine even though I've disagreed with a few decisions he's made). But it's good that he made a decision that won't put Canada in a kind of toned down Trump situation. We don't need any more business fat cats turned reality TV stars leading countries.

that is AWESOME.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

PJ_Soul said:

that is AWESOME.
    Totally. I definitely have a sense of relief right now. I agree he would have likely won the leadership race... can you imagine what kind of sensational crap he would have brought to the table? Canada just doesn't need that, especially not right now.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

that is AWESOME.
    Totally. I definitely have a sense of relief right now. I agree he would have likely won the leadership race... can you imagine what kind of sensational crap he would have brought to the table? Canada just doesn't need that, especially not right now.
    and he likely would have dragged canada into the same international conflict oblivion that trump is doing down south. not to mention his lack of understanding that destroying the earth is actually BAD for the economy in the long run.

big sigh of relief here.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD