A Pearl Jam residency in Seattle?

Comments

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    I love Seattle and a residency would give me another reason for a trip!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    JojoRice said:

I love Seattle and a residency would give me another reason for a trip!

Same. Love that place and can't wait to go back. Hopefully they do turn it into their residency.

• EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 684
    Before you book your plane tickets......keep a few things in mind. It will take at least two years to construct this building if given the go ahead. Seattle moves really really really slow on stuff like this, so you need to add another 2-3 years to that. It took them 9-10 years to take RFPs for remodel after losing the Sonics! Realistically........if this is true the building won't be here for another 5-6 years. Given the landscape of Seattle now......its kind of hard to believe this is a realistic venue site.

Also, there are lots of politics and backdoor deals going on in Seattle. The RFPs they are taking in for a Key Arena remodel are basically a reaction to an offer for a privately funded arena in the SODO area. The crooked mayor and city council are in bed with the Port of Seattle (who opposes the SODO idea) so now, 9-10 years after losing their anchor tenant (Seattle Sonics) they are making a reactionary move to basically torpedo the SODO effort. Add in the fact that a majority of residents are anti-arena.

As much as I love PJ and the idea of a residency, Key Arena remodel is a terrible idea. Bad location with serious traffic issues. The idea is great for PJ fans, bad for the city. Hoping the idea of residency isn't solely tied to this new building. Residency at Safeco, Paramount, or the Clink would work too.
  • PSUS2H said:

I don't think a residency is cool, the band is aware of their image, they won't do it.

Why isn't a residency 'cool'? Wilco does them all the time and they sell out fast. Fans love them.
    I'm through with screaming
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Before you book your plane tickets......keep a few things in mind. It will take at least two years to construct this building if given the go ahead. Seattle moves really really really slow on stuff like this, so you need to add another 2-3 years to that. It took them 9-10 years to take RFPs for remodel after losing the Sonics! Realistically........if this is true the building won't be here for another 5-6 years. Given the landscape of Seattle now......its kind of hard to believe this is a realistic venue site.

Also, there are lots of politics and backdoor deals going on in Seattle. The RFPs they are taking in for a Key Arena remodel are basically a reaction to an offer for a privately funded arena in the SODO area. The crooked mayor and city council are in bed with the Port of Seattle (who opposes the SODO idea) so now, 9-10 years after losing their anchor tenant (Seattle Sonics) they are making a reactionary move to basically torpedo the SODO effort. Add in the fact that a majority of residents are anti-arena.

As much as I love PJ and the idea of a residency, Key Arena remodel is a terrible idea. Bad location with serious traffic issues. The idea is great for PJ fans, bad for the city. Hoping the idea of residency isn't solely tied to this new building. Residency at Safeco, Paramount, or the Clink would work too.

Well done! I was just going to type something up, but you covered it. This is fraught with politics, sports, a crazy city council, and a mayor deep in the weeds. There are multiple Key Arena renovation proposals (not just the one involving PJ and Kelly Curtis), and this one has the least traction with sporting events. By any objective measure from traffic & parking to financing to acquiring NBA and NHL franchises, only the SODO proposal makes real sense. If the Key Arena renovation was a priority for this administration, they would have solicited RFPs much sooner. As pointed out above, this new initiative only exists to torpedo the SODO proposal. Don't get your hopes up, PJ fans. And even if this proposal does get final approval, Seattle has a way of making it a long and painful process, so if the PFP claims it could be finished by the end of 2018, I wouldn't put my money on anything sooner than 2021 or 2022.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810

PSUS2H said:

I don't think a residency is cool, the band is aware of their image, they won't do it.

Why isn't a residency 'cool'? Wilco does them all the time and they sell out fast. Fans love them.
    In the end this may work out to be 2-3 shows a year for a number of years. That isn't much different than DMB playing Alpine every July 4th or the Gorge every Labor Day. As a fan I would LOVE to see something like this get finalized. Especially if they settle on the same weekend every year.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    This news bums me out. A residency in Seattle would most likely mean an extremely limited run of shows throughout the rest of the country. The demand for shows is already crazy, this would only make it worse.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2

This news bums me out. A residency in Seattle would most likely mean an extremely limited run of shows throughout the rest of the country. The demand for shows is already crazy, this would only make it worse.

Interesting assumption. Wilco plays Chicago all the time.........it hasn't seemed to effect their tour schedule.

Interesting assumption. Wilco plays Chicago all the time.........it hasn't seemed to effect their tour schedule.
    Not a great comparison. Wilco played 77 shows last year. Pearl Jam played 25 and is taking this year off. The trend is towards less and less touring. A residency could mean even less.

Or not. We don't know yet what exactly this residency would look like.

• Ryan said:

If this happened I'd guess it wouldn't look exactly like Billy Joel at MSG just due to the population/tourism in New York and the surrounding area. Maybe PJ would play a couple, or a few times a year and in multi-night stands. Seattle also isn't even their best drawing city for ticket sales so it would be interesting to see how this would go.

+1 I agree 100%. Spot on.
    Gorge
  • If you're unfamiliar with the name Leiweke, he was briefly in Toronto with MLSE. In the short time he spent here he made a huge impact. This guy gets shit done. Very curious to see how this plays out.

These guys are intimately familiar with Seattle. Tod Leiweke (Tim's brother) was the CEO of the Seattle Seahawks and Paul Allen's Vulcan as well. These guys are both deal-makers.
    Gorge
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

Plus the Mayor still needs to be on board, and we know how he reacted to the Supertrain

This weekend we rock Portland
  • CopperTom said:

If you read between the lines, we may see a residency at MSG, The Forum, Key Arena and something in Chicago.
    As they get older, they would only have to make 4 stops and cover large markets. 4 nights minimum in each location would cut cost on touring but still have tons of money from ticket sales coming in.
    I love this idea!!!

#fakenews

There is absolutely no hint of a residency anywhere other than Seattle. Reading between the lines is one thing, making up a lie is another.
    I can absolutely see this happening. The MSG company owns the Forum, as well as Chicago Theater. James Dolan was in the meeting and has the funds and the know-how to make it happen. I think this is brilliant reading between the lines here.
    Gorge

CopperTom said:

If you read between the lines, we may see a residency at MSG, The Forum, Key Arena and something in Chicago.
    As they get older, they would only have to make 4 stops and cover large markets. 4 nights minimum in each location would cut cost on touring but still have tons of money from ticket sales coming in.
    I love this idea!!!

#fakenews

There is absolutely no hint of a residency anywhere other than Seattle. Reading between the lines is one thing, making up a lie is another.
    I can absolutely see this happening. The MSG company owns the Forum, as well as Chicago Theater. James Dolan was in the meeting and has the funds and the know-how to make it happen. I think this is brilliant reading between the lines here.
    And even if it's not, wishful thinking isn't exactly "making up a lie."

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Word. I'll go.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PSUS2H said:

actually Mike said quite recently that he'd love to do a residency.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    dimitrispearljam stated "new album and world tour in 2018".
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I like how all the east coast fans that have 50+ shows under their belt are freaking out...hey, try seeing them here on the west coast where the closest distance between venues is 3 hours.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

I like how all the east coast fans that have 50+ shows under their belt are freaking out...hey, try seeing them here on the west coast where the closest distance between venues is 3 hours.

I don't see too many people on either coast freaking out about this.

Can't speak for anyone else but the possibility of this happens excites me and I am a card-carrying east coaster with way less than 50+ shows under my belt.

• SR91748SR91748 Posts: 137
    This would be GREAT! Really love all the things they do for Seattle and the region, and more of them on stage--all good with that. The Key is becoming a bit of a mystery--today is the ninth anniversary of the last Sonics home game there. Maybe they can help bring back some hoops too, with the improvements.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Pearl Jam is the house band at Key Arena.....LOL
    JimmyV said:

Not a great comparison. Wilco played 77 shows last year. Pearl Jam played 25 and is taking this year off. The trend is towards less and less touring. A residency could mean even less.

Or not. We don't know yet what exactly this residency would look like.
    See what i did there. I responded to an assumption with an assumption.

You ask the big question. What does "residency" mean in this case?
  • WesCWesC Posts: 92

a cannabis tour every year. i'm in

THIS!
    6/30/06 Milwaukee 8/23/09 Chicago 05/03/10 Kansas City 09/03/11 Alpine Valley 09/04/11 Alpine Valley 11/16/13 Oklahoma City
    11/19/13 Phoenix 11/29/13 Portland 10/03/14 St. Louis 10/17/14 Moline 10/19/14 St. Paul 04/26/16 Lexington 08/07/16 Boston
    08/22/16 Chicago 08/08/18 Seattle 08/10/18 Seattle 08/13/18 Missoula 08/18/18 Chicago
    Poncier said:

Plus the Mayor still needs to be on board, and we know how he reacted to the Supertrain

Speaking of the Supertrain.....

Cameron Crowe put forth the idea of mass transit in Seattle back in 1992.

This is an excellent example of how slow Seattle moves, and how out of touch the leadership has been. We finally got our first light rail mass transit in place in 2009. The original route ended the two miles short of the airport. Five months later they decided it makes sense to go all the way to the airport, and they extended the line. Recent ballot measures have passed and expanded routes are scheduled to be done in 2023.

Traffic here is ridiculously bad. A movie director was able to see this in 92. Eight years from now that dream will finally come true.

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Yeah I would not mind this, need to go visit Seattle.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited April 2017
    A residency marketed in the name of saving live music in Seattle is a lot cooler sounding than a plain old Vegas residency. And i think people are right that it wouldnt be a "Appearing nightly at 6 and 9" thing. Maybe every few months they'd do five straight shows. Who knows. Id schedule training in Seattle for sure
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Play 3-5 shows every night during a week once a year.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    Maybe Cameron crow should stick to city planning instead of making movies. Hopefully you can read between the lines on that. ;-)
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604

If you're unfamiliar with the name Leiweke, he was briefly in Toronto with MLSE. In the short time he spent here he made a huge impact. This guy gets shit done. Very curious to see how this plays out.

His primary role was to land an nfl team in toronto.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    PSUS2H said:

I cant picture a residency without the act going through the motions.

It is difficult imagining this. The setup sounds like the band would be used as a tool to make a handful of rich men money on an investment.

The thing doesnt seem like pearl jam to me. These shows would lose luster. Its really cool how each show has an identity. The bootleg for "seattle 22" wont have the same character or pull as "milwaukee", "moline", or "msg 2".

I do get why there are things that make this attractive for the band though