Options

Remember when..

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    edited April 2017

Remember when this board was fun and free and actually felt like a community

First of all they tried letting us 'have at it' in amass.. but we messed it up.. and bans were quickly enforced.. once they realized the force of the gathered masses, they made it safer for those that came in, in unawares, from outside of the Internet world, because we were such jerks that we ( yes all of us at the given times in this board's history..) literally scared folks away. WE are the reason for the changes, not the mods being "Scotts". So if it seems like it's no longer fun in here.. thank another fan.. lol
    As for free.. well, that was nice.. but true to the nature of the world, it came with a price.. only fair, that we that ask for the resource, PAY for the resource.. but yeah, free was nice..
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

It's what you make of it, and take from it - the fun and community parts of it. I'm happy to experience both.

As to paying, that's out of my control and my choice whether or not to pony up some bucks for that. But, I also consider priceless the dear friends / friendships made here.

Win/win :)
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Loved Chutes and Parcheesi as a kid as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4SPsaVRgvII

Sort of a competitor against Double Dare back in the late 80s
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    I know this board is full o heathens ;) , but who memberz these?

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    hedonist said:

As a kid, nothing beat Chutes & Ladders and Parcheesi for board games.

Do families still get together and play those?

my wife and I play board games with our daughters all the time. our laundry room is filled to the ceiling with board games. chutes and ladders is one of our staples, as is go fish, connect 4, jenga, and Sorry!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    edited April 2017
    rssesq said:

Probably everyone, since this is a pagan ritual [of dyeing and hiding eggs]; it has to do with fertility rituals, NOT the resurrection of Christ...though, somewhere around the 12th century, they began to meld these two concepts together..I was that weird kid at 4, that actually asked what one had to do with the other!! Lol
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    rssesq said:

Loved these as a kid.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CodjSio8rf8

I wanted this for Xmas 89 so bad but never got it.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

my wife and I play board games with our daughters all the time. our laundry room is filled to the ceiling with board games. chutes and ladders is one of our staples, as is go fish, connect 4, jenga, and Sorry!
    Yeah, Hugh! Your daughters will hold those memories dearly (as I know you will), trust me.

We used to play a board game called Payday. Not sure how popular it was, but a fun way to bond AND learn about bill-paying, budgeting, etc. Those lessons served me well...says this debt-free adult =)

I'm feeling slightly nostalgic today - more and more lately, it seems! - and thinking of childhood lunches of grilled cheese and tomato soup, of our sweet black Lab/Shepherd mix with her white chestplate and sweetest eyes who just knew I was at the bottom of the family totem-pole (dad was #1). Of summer school as a kid, even.

Guess I just miss the oblivion that came with that age. Knowledge is power for sure, but ignorance is / can be bliss.

But, not when you're a supposed grown-up :)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Yeah, Hugh! Your daughters will hold those memories dearly (as I know you will), trust me.

We used to play a board game called Payday. Not sure how popular it was, but a fun way to bond AND learn about bill-paying, budgeting, etc. Those lessons served me well...says this debt-free adult =)

I'm feeling slightly nostalgic today - more and more lately, it seems! - and thinking of childhood lunches of grilled cheese and tomato soup, of our sweet black Lab/Shepherd mix with her white chestplate and sweetest eyes who just knew I was at the bottom of the family totem-pole (dad was #1). Of summer school as a kid, even.

Guess I just miss the oblivion that came with that age. Knowledge is power for sure, but ignorance is / can be bliss.

But, not when you're a supposed grown-up :)
    Payday was an underrated game.

Trouble was a good one too with the plastic bubble.

We played Risk from childhood through university.

APBA Baseball and Stratomatic Football were awesome as well.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    ...when you were a kid and your TV looked something like this:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited April 2017
    hedonist said:

I know some must (like HFD), but not nearly as much as back in the day. I have actually recently seen public service ads on TV that encourage families to turn off the fucking tablets and TV and make time for game night, for the sake of maintaining quality time with the fam.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

I know some must (like HFD), but not nearly as much as back in the day. I have actually recently seen public service ads on TV that encourage families to turn off the fucking tablets and TV and make time for game night, for the sake of maintaining quality time with the fam.
    Pretty sad, isn't it? Maybe it's because I grew up in a time where we didn't have iPhones and iPads and Surfaces and yadda yadda, but I simply do not understand the incessant need/desire to have you face glued to the damn phone or tablet all the time. Parents let their kids get away with it, mostly because the parents have their noses stuck to the screen, too. And I see it in public with groups of friends all the time. I'm like, why are you people even hanging out together when you're all talking to other people on your damn phones??!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534

PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

Pretty sad, isn't it? Maybe it's because I grew up in a time where we didn't have iPhones and iPads and Surfaces and yadda yadda, but I simply do not understand the incessant need/desire to have you face glued to the damn phone or tablet all the time. Parents let their kids get away with it, mostly because the parents have their noses stuck to the screen, too. And I see it in public with groups of friends all the time. I'm like, why are you people even hanging out together when you're all talking to other people on your damn phones??!!
    Yeah, same here. If you're alone I get it, but I think it's pretty weird to be glued to your device around other people. It's so damn antisocial. And parents who do it around their kids should be ashamed of themselves. When I walk by a playground SO many parents are just sitting there on a bench using their phones instead of engaging with their kid who is there playing (or even keeping a close eye on them). It's terrible. And I've read many articles about the kind of sociological/psychological harm an unengaged parent glued to their phone can cause little kids.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,275

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    Yup, now it's like work. Everyone has to be nice whether you mean it or not, you can't interact with your friends like you normally would and you have to follow company policy. Otherwise you get reported to HR and reprimanded. Unless you brownnose the boss then you get to be a dick all over the place. :plus_one:
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    Walking all over the neighborhood just hanging out

when summer seemed to last forever

parents not knowing what you were doing or where you were every second of every day - "Yea I'm heading out with Mike and Dave. be back later"

cable boxes with cords to the box and buttons to push for the channels.

cars with no air conditioning

• Options
    hedonist said:
    As a kid, nothing beat Chutes & Ladders and Parcheesi for board games. Do families still get together and play those?
    Yeah, Hugh! Your daughters will hold those memories dearly (as I know you will), trust me. We used to play a board game called Payday. Not sure how popular it was, but a fun way to bond AND learn about bill-paying, budgeting, etc. Those lessons served me well...says this debt-free adult =) I'm feeling slightly nostalgic today - more and more lately, it seems! - and thinking of childhood lunches of grilled cheese and tomato soup, of our sweet black Lab/Shepherd mix with her white chestplate and sweetest eyes who just knew I was at the bottom of the family totem-pole (dad was #1). Of summer school as a kid, even. Guess I just miss the oblivion that came with that age. Knowledge is power for sure, but ignorance is / can be bliss. But, not when you're a supposed grown-up :)
    just on saturday we had a family game night. Pictureka, which is really fun,and we play Payday at the cottage (my wife and I even played that at the cottage prior to us having kids-no tv or internet will lend itself to this). there's also one we play called Canada. I think it was from the 70's, and many of the cards and pieces are missing, but it's still fun/frustrating to play. 

and the girls and I are having grilled cheese and tomato soup tonight for dinner. when Mama HFD has a meeting, HFD and the Freaklings go 1980's style dinner! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I let my nearly 11-year old and my nearly 8 year old go for a walk to get slurpees on the weekend. not too far, but they have to cross a major busy street. i was nervous AF, but they got home safe. 

doubt my parents gave a second thought about stuff like that at that age. well, I know they didn't. i was out all day on my bike by myself and they had no idea where i was, only that I was coming back at dinner. 

and it's not just nervousness about them out on their own; it's the ridiculous public perception. I may have addressed this issue in this thread already but if not.........there was a case last summer in Winnipeg where a woman had a visit from child and family services about a report that her children were being neglected. THEY WERE IN THE BACKYARD. one of them was young, maybe 2, but totally fenced in, the mother was doing the dishes inside watching them outside. someone called CFS on her. And now there's a file on her. No matter the findings, the file stays. 

also last summer, maybe two summers ago, we started letting my daughter go to the park down the block alone, and we'd meet her there about 10-15 minutes later. a woman at the park went up to her, CRYING, telling her how horrified she was that she was only 9 and at the park alone. totally freaked my daughter out. and approached us when we got to the park about how she "isn't judging, but she was very concerned becuase you never know the evils that may lurk around the corner". 

helicopter parenting at its finest. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com