Poll--The Weakest Link: Binaural Round 1

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Evacuation
    I've grown to like Rival so I'm sad to see that it is almost inevitably going this round. If there was another song I could have voted for that was even close, to give it a chance, I would have, but it doesn't look like there's another contender this round.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited April 2017
    Rival
    You will be no one's rival...
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,415
    Soon Forget
    The weakest..who crazy vote for Of the Girl???
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Soon Forget
    easy one,,..
    im buying 1000 memberships...
    this one ..will not lose.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30BlueyXoyg

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Soon Forget

Can't believe I'm voting off a Stone song...

Never understood the unfavoritism/dislike/hate for Evacuation.

of the girl??is someone pointed a gun on you???????
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Soon Forget
    Only song I really like on here is Of The Girl... I still haven't found myself in a place where this album moves me...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Evacuation

Only song I really like on here is Of The Girl... I still haven't found myself in a place where this album moves me...

that's another song that never translated well live imo.
    After looking at album again I can't believe it but I actually only enjoy four songs live.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • graham1978graham1978 Posts: 51
    edited April 2017
    Soon Forget
    I think the first half of this album is way better than the second (with the possible exception of Sleight of Hand).
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Soon Forget
    God's Dice for the win!! Very underrated song from the PJ catalog.
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Soon Forget

I don't get the dislike for Evacuation! Love the odd time signatures - Ed's howl - there's just too much good here people!

Agreed. I actually love Evacuation
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Soon Forget

easy one,,..
    im buying 1000 memberships...
    this one ..will not lose.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30BlueyXoyg

So fucking good!
  • Evacuation
    23scidoo said:

The weakest..who crazy vote for Of the Girl???

Seriously. #1 PJ song for me.
    I'm through with screaming
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Soon Forget
    JojoRice said:

God's Dice for the win!! Very underrated song from the PJ catalog.

+1
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Evacuation
    Of The Girl is too restrained, if it ended with the epic jam it hints at, it would be an all time great.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Evacuation
    Of The Girl is a great tune.

Sleight of Hand is getting unfairly knocked.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 646
    Soon Forget
    Don't get the hate for Evacuation
    This for me is a top 3 album. Will be tough to pick a favorite but Grievance-Sleight-Insignificance are top 15 songs for me.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,415
    Soon Forget

Those two for final..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Evacuation
    23scidoo said:

Those two for final..
    I'm in agreement.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Of The Girl
    mcgruff10 said:

Sooooooo bad live.
    I have no clue who is going to win this one because to me there is no classic Pearl Jam song on this album that stands out above the rest.
    Only time I ever got a taste of it live was DC 08... and they canned it after the first verse bc an instrument or two wasn't coming thru. I was super excited to finally hear it.. pissed that I never got to.
    Evacuation

mcgruff10 said:

Sooooooo bad live.
    I have no clue who is going to win this one because to me there is no classic Pearl Jam song on this album that stands out above the rest.
    Only time I ever got a taste of it live was DC 08... and they canned it after the first verse bc an instrument or two wasn't coming thru. I was super excited to finally hear it.. pissed that I never got to.
    dc 08 was a killer show!!! hti to open if memory serves me correct.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Of The Girl
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Sooooooo bad live.
    Indeed it was. I about shit myself when those first notes struck!
    I won the floor lottery at that show. Almost caught a drumstick at the end if not for short people problems!
    Evacuation

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Sooooooo bad live.
    Indeed it was. I about shit myself when those first notes struck!
    I won the floor lottery at that show. Almost caught a drumstick at the end if not for short people problems!
    sweet!!! I had row 1 directly next to the stage stone's side. I was really impressed with the dc crowd and the mci center. plus dc is an amazing city.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited April 2017
    Evacuation
    bbiggs said:

Not a lot of love for Soon Forget. I actually like it, but I realize I'm probably in the minority.

I love Soon Forget too. Great little song with a strong message, and its style and tone goes perfectly with the lyrics IMO. Plus I think it fits in with the album super well.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    Rival
    This is a hard record to remove tracks from.

But I have a hard time getting into Rival. So that one. Gods Dice is weirdly weak to. What is that song. Who wants it? Who craves Gods Dice? Wheres the chorus?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Evacuation

But I have a hard time getting into Rival. So that one. Gods Dice is weirdly weak to. What is that song. Who wants it? Who craves Gods Dice? Wheres the chorus?

I'd take it at a show. Early to mid first set maybe? It's not at the level of Breakerfall, Sleight of Hand, Of the Girl or Grievance for me - that'd be my finale 4 predicion, but it's fun. Right there in that next group of very strong tracks on this record. Thin Air, Light Years, Parting Ways... all of em. Just love Binaural!
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Evacuation
    PJ_Soul said:

bbiggs said:

Not a lot of love for Soon Forget. I actually like it, but I realize I'm probably in the minority.

I love Soon Forget too. Great little song with a strong message, and its style and tone goes perfectly with the lyrics IMO. Plus I think it fits in with the album super well.
    Yes!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Evacuation

I'd take it at a show. Early to mid first set maybe? It's not at the level of Breakerfall, Sleight of Hand, Of the Girl or Grievance for me - that'd be my finale 4 predicion, but it's fun. Right there in that next group of very strong tracks on this record. Thin Air, Light Years, Parting Ways... all of em. Just love Binaural!
    I got God's Dice as the 8th song of the show (between Why Go and Lightning Bolt during their first rocking segment, which started with Corduroy into Breakerfall). It was actually pretty awesome. I was stoked to see it and it fit in the setlist nicely (They also played Can't Keep right after an Oceans opener, which was amazing, plus Soon Forget to start the first encore. It was a Binaural kind of night, and I was so happy about that).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • KP278376KP278376 Posts: 42
    Evacuation
    This is looking waaay forward, but will there be a champions round when all the champions go head to head? Talk about a tough vote...
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Evacuation
    PJ_Soul said:

I got God's Dice as the 8th song of the show (between Why Go and Lightning Bolt during their first rocking segment, which started with Corduroy into Breakerfall). It was actually pretty awesome. I was stoked to see it and it fit in the setlist nicely (They also played Can't Keep right after an Oceans opener, which was amazing, plus Soon Forget to start the first encore. It was a Binaural kind of night, and I was so happy about that).

Wow. Where was that? Might have to check out the bootleg. In 4 shows, I've only heard Thin Air from Binaural. I figure that can only improve. Hoping for a Binaural kind of night the next time they play Alpine Valley East Troy, WI (shameless plug).
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    Gods' Dice
    This will be the last easy choice for me this album. Love it so much. Top to bottom. Front to back. Inside out.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
This discussion has been closed.