Comments

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    Very cool artistic statement by Jeff.
    Made me :grin: to see The Black Crowes included on his list @Heisenberg
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    DewieCox said:

Cool shirt, but a lot of those are a stretch and I'd venture to say that most in this thread are as well.

I get wanting to recognize your idols who came before you, but many of those artists on that shirt have no business being in the HOF. I mean, why not just let in every band ever?

I mean, at this point, aren't we just talking personal taste?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216

I get wanting to recognize your idols who came before you, but many of those artists on that shirt have no business being in the HOF. I mean, why not just let in every band ever?

As someone not in the music industry, I think it's difficult to critique or judge which bands, solo artists or individual musicians have impacted the current and future artists and musical genres. Maybe Jeff was personally impacted by some of those artists, which have inspired him and the band and therefore inspired millions of other people. I don't find Bon Jovi to be a worthy band for the Hall, but they were a pretty damn big deal to a lot of people and sold a shit ton of records so why not? Music is an art so the quality and impact is subjective to each individual person. Beyond the superstar groups and artists, it's hard for a majority of people to agree on who created good music and had a major impact.

If you're going to have a hall of fame for anything, a lot of it therefore has to be based on success, which in the music industry means record and concert sales numbers and awards. Just like in sports, where career statistics matter most. The rock hall suffers from a schizophrenic/multiple personality disorder it seems. Is it a Rock & Roll HOF or a music HOF? I don't think anyone would argue that Tupac isn't a great artist, but he's not rock. That would be like the NBA inducting Wayne Gretzky because he really inspired a lot of people to be great athletes, even if he didn't play basketball because he still had an impact on them.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,724

jason_94 said:

I'm seeing some bands on the shirt tweeting out appreciation for Jeffs recognition.

Awesome who?

I saw Pixies posted some appreciation.
    Guided by voices too
    Also ..

• Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057

Tom Waits was inducted in 2011.

Ya, guess the shirt didn't have any fact checkers. Didn't Neil also give his induction speech?
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    demetrios said:

ianwilliamsart - Working in the merch industry we get to work with so many great bands but this is one of the most meaningful things I've been involved in making. #tsurt #pearljam #rrhof
    #Repost @pearljam with @repost app
    ・・・
    Jeff's RRHOF shirt.

Make more of the shirt, sell and give proceeds to charities that support the music industry...like Musicares.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    I agree
    RKCNDY said:

demetrios said:

ianwilliamsart - Working in the merch industry we get to work with so many great bands but this is one of the most meaningful things I've been involved in making. #tsurt #pearljam #rrhof
    #Repost @pearljam with @repost app
    ・・・
    Jeff's RRHOF shirt.

Make more of the shirt, sell and give proceeds to charities that support the music industry...like Musicares.
    Best idea I've heard in a while.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

DewieCox said:

Cool shirt, but a lot of those are a stretch and I'd venture to say that most in this thread are as well.

I mean, at this point, aren't we just talking personal taste?
    Sure, to a point, but I think a certain level of combined success and influence should be required. Y
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    Isn't Jeff making more of a statement about art being subjective, but the Hall of Fame is objectively saying these bands are somehow better then these other bands? I think a fake tie on the shirt is also emphasizing this point.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    I'm still stoked by how cool it is that Jeff did this with the shirt. Right on!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,295

Is Dave A on the shirt?

Do you have shares in him or something?
    Yes.

And with Chad Channing being listed, I thing it's kind of interesting Dave A's not. Whatever.
    Im kind of assuming Jeff didnt make the shirt. Unless he's a closet Bon Jovi / Motley Crue fan. Maybe its his tho
    He loves Avril Lavignes first album so?
    I thought that was Mike
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    it was mike that loved avril's cd...
    on a side note jeff is one cool dude and he's totally right about lenny kravitz
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327

I agree, like should the Monkeys being there?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    igotid88 said:

Is Dave A on the shirt?

Yes.

And with Chad Channing being listed, I thing it's kind of interesting Dave A's not. Whatever.
    Im kind of assuming Jeff didnt make the shirt. Unless he's a closet Bon Jovi / Motley Crue fan. Maybe its his tho
    I thought that was Mike

Fuck. My love for Jeff is 90% build on him loving Avril Lavigne :(
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Isn't Jeff making more of a statement about art being subjective, but the Hall of Fame is objectively saying these bands are somehow better then these other bands? I think a fake tie on the shirt is also emphasizing this point.

That's what I got out of it.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993

igotid88 said:

Is Dave A on the shirt?

Yes.

I thought that was Mike

Ha that's funny, I never heard that.
    When/where did Mike talk about Avril?

I feel less guilty about loving Alanis' first album now. Those Canadian girls...
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    mace1229 said:

igotid88 said:

Is Dave A on the shirt?

Yes.

I thought that was Mike

Ha that's funny, I never heard that.
    When/where did Mike talk about Avril?

I feel less guilty about loving Alanis' first album now. Those Canadian girls...
    There's only two canadian girls for me:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    I thought his shirt would have been better if he limited the number of artists. As pointed out, not all were deserving of the HOH. May as well have included Chumbawumba on that list.
    You ain't never gonna keep me down!
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    Seeing Faith No More & Slayer as some of the first bands mentioned made my day.
  • Options
    JuannicenboimJuannicenboim Argentina Posts: 60
    Thats the best t-shirt ive ever seen, hands down. Why isnt this on sale by now at the 10C.
    Buenos Aires 11/25/05
    Buenos Aires 11/26/05
    Porto Alegre 11/28/05
    La Plata 11/13/11
    Buenos Aires 4/3/13
    Berlin 6/26/14
    Santiago 11/4/15
    La Plata 11/7/15
    Sao Paulo 11/14/15
    Chicago 08/20/16
    Chicago 08/22/16
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,724

Thats the best t-shirt ive ever seen, hands down. Why isnt this on sale by now at the 10C.

I hope 10club makes one available ASAP because soon if you are on Facebook via any mobile device or using Facebook on a desktop without an Ad Blocker, you will get to see these Sponsor posts by a Facebook Fan page that will probably be making / selling them. I keep seeing ALOT of these Sponsor ads on my mobile Facebook wall from unofficial Pearl Jam Facebook pages that continue doing business of selling unofficial Pearl Jam clothing, which still continue to operate. :/
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,365
    Id buy it....just put J Geils Band in Tom Waits spot since hes in already. RIP J.